• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soda consumption down slightly, still #1 source of calories in U.S. diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFRA

I'll maybe drink a couple cans over the course of a day (mostly at home, at work I stick to water and occasionally tea), but I'm at least sticking to diet sodas.

I tend to drink quite a bit, if I drank drinks with actual caloric value I'd probably be dead by now...

People think they're safe just because something says "diet" on it.

http://www.kriskris.com/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/

Diet Soda and Cardiovascular Disease

A study of 2564 Manhattan residents found that those who drank diet soda every day had a 61% higher risk of stroke and heart attack. Regular soda did not increase the risk (4).

Diet Soda and Preterm delivery

In Denmark, a study of 59 thousand women discovered that 1 serving of diet soda per day increased risk of preterm delivery by 38%, while 4 servings per day increased the risk by 78%. Regular soda did not increase risk of preterm delivery (5).

Plenty of other interesting tid-bits on that site. All with sources cited.

I know you said usually thats at home, so you're not in the "daily" category I'm sure. Just interesting info about diet stuff though. I hate the taste of diet soda, so I wouldn't drink it anyways.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Switching to diet soda is a start. Not just because it's less unhealthy, but also because spilling sugar loaded soda makes everything stick like crazy. Man do I hate sticky stuff. Then switch to tea. The real kind. Sugar is not tea.

And lol @ juice people. Fruit is a lie.
It seems counter intuitive but many studies indicate that there's no evidence that switching to diet soda helps you lose weight. Water and other unsweetened drinks are better.

I wish milk didn't taste so horrible because it sure is healthy.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
splenda is actually cut with dextrose? I believe, which is sugar. Sucralose is main sweetener in splenda though, and with all artificial sweeteners, I would say OK in moderation. But Truvia is a great replacement for it if you're looking for an all natural alternative.

If people could figure out the underlined, bolded part above, we wouldn't be having this fucking thread.

Not jumping on you... just humanity.

I treat soda as a luxury item to be enjoyed rarely.
I don't really care about the source of calories as it becomes irrelevant the way I drink it, but it is still shocking how many there are in sodas.

andycapps

Check the scoreboard, bro. Game was decided a long time ago.

coffee is a fine choice.

That it is. Tea has it's time and place for me, though I generally drink it more for health reasons than for taste, though there are some great varieties. I find the smell of tea to always be more strong than the taste. I always expect it to taste as great as it smells, and then I taste it and it's bland as heck.

LosDaddie

Banned
:lol
Diet sodas aren't really any better for you than regular sodas. If you want to be a badass and cut regular sodas out of your life, then you should also cut diet sodas, too. Drink only water/coffee/milk/some veggie juices (mainly water, though) if you want to truthfully claim to be a healthy drinker.

Also, juices are fine to a certain extent. An 8oz cup with breakfast, or after some exercise is good for you.

You'll get to the point where soda tastes pretty disgusting and repulsive. I'm at the point now where if I've tried a can of it, and it's just nasty to me. Tastes really fake and unnatural.

Not for me. I'd drink soda every day if it didn't cause weight gain.

There are people working for Coca-Cola and Pepsi in a room being paid millions of dollars trying to answer the question, "how can we fix this?"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
wy2k2.jpg

Mashing

What kinds have you tried? There's an extremely wide variety of teas with varying flavours. Or maybe it's just that you are so accustomed to sugar that anything without it tastes bad. Once you reduce it for a while you can get rid of that bias. That's what happened to me, I find the taste of coke really weird now.

Not a lot. Restaurant teas, Lipton's from a can, Arizona tea. You're probably right about the sugar. I even like my alcoholic drinks sweet.

What tea would you recommend?

Timo

Back in the day I would drink 2-3 soda's a meal (I'm a thirsty dude). Switched mainly to water now (...and beer). I've been drinking more soda lately than I did the last two years though (I went 6 months with only 2 soda's or something like that, it was amazing). I'm up to one or two a week now, trying to stop completely.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Not a lot. Restaurant teas, Lipton's from a can, Arizona tea. You're probably right about the sugar. I even like my alcoholic drinks sweet.

What tea would you recommend?

If you like sweeter stuff, maybe try some of the fruit teas at Teavana to wean yourself off of sugar drinks. I like this one: http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/mate-teas/p/samurai-chai-mate-tea

Otherwise, trust this man:

Might as well virally market GAF's Tea OT while I'm here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470058

If you're looking to cut out soda and juice, head on over and we'll get you squared up.

Yikes what a terrible state of dietary affairs!

Head in a new direction folks----set down that can of coke and pick up a delicious slice of quality, local, or even home made, pizza instead! Granted, moderation and variety in all things is the ultimate goal, but by god pizza is a better step to get stuck on than just an endless steam of low quality sodas!

I quite enjoy my weekly glass mini-bottle of White Rock Ginger Ale though---the King of Ginger Ales as far as I've had it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Juice should be included. Organic cigarettes are still cigarettes.

Sugar is sugar whether or not its source is a lab, corn, beets, or apples/fruit. There is no magic pixie dust changing it's composition from primarily sucrose to something else.

Jesus....#1 source of calories? wtf man!

I haven't drank a soda in probably 10 years. Water = win

Soy and Corn make up a massive % of the American diet.

I learned at a young age that drinking calories is a bad idea. I've been an ice tea guy for a long long time. I drink the occasional Coke Zero though. I also like plain carbonated water too.

teh_pwn

Juice is nowhere near as bad as soda, you guys are nuts.

Real juice is nutritious and good for you, and has natural sugars.

Soda contains caffeine, carbonic acid, refined sugars, and worst of all, phosphoric acid which actually deteriorates your bone density and destroy vitamins and minerals. The phosphoric acid destroys Vitamin D and can make your bones brittle and lead to osteoperosis.

Does juice do all that?

As opposed to sugar from beet, corn, or cane? These things are less real than fruit? Seriously?

Nutritious? Sugar water with vitamin C added is more nutritious than Spinach or Offal?

nyong

Banned
I have a hard time believing that Americans get more calories from soda than bread. Unless they shoved things like buns, sandwich bread, and bagels into individual categories. "Two sodas a day" is a lot, but not even close to the bulk of a day's calorie intake.

teh_pwn

I have a hard time believing that Americans get more calories from soda than bread. Unless they shoved things like buns, sandwich bread, and bagels into individual categories. "Two sodas a day" is a lot, but not even close to the bulk of a day's calorie intake.

They put sugar in our bread now too. US food culture is so distorted.

I have a Coke Zero almost every day with dinner and occasionally with rum, always enjoy it and it's pretty much guilt free. The rest of the day I drink water and, to a lesser extent, tea. I remember when I used to hate drinking water when I was a kid - luckily I had a good metabolism and did a lot of stuff outside, so I was always in good shape even though I drank much more soda and juice (and again tea, Earl Grey with lemon for life).

smurfx

get some go again
haven't drank soda for 2 years. although i do drink sparkling water though but at least it doesn't have any sugar or fake sugar.

Snake

Went cold turkey on soda and all sugary drinks three years ago. My health/weight have not become much better since but it probably helped me to avoid diabetes. Good enough.

I drank more than 2 sodas per day as a kid. The only time you will see me drinking a soda now is with alcohol or if I eat at McDonald's cos it comes with the meal.

megamerican

I believe it. All my friends and co-workers guzzle regular soda non-stop. I switched over to Diet soda, literally changed nothing else, and lost 40 lbs in a year.

Now I'm addicted to Diet Coke. Probably have like 5-6 a day.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People think they're safe just because something says "diet" on it.

http://www.kriskris.com/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/

Plenty of other interesting tid-bits on that site. All with sources cited.

I know you said usually thats at home, so you're not in the "daily" category I'm sure. Just interesting info about diet stuff though. I hate the taste of diet soda, so I wouldn't drink it anyways.

One of those studies that doesn't actually draw a obvious conclusion: people who drink a soda every day regardless of diet or not tend to be people that eat a fucking lot.

Le-mo

That's crazy high. The only soda I drink is Sprite and that's only when I go out for Sushi or buffet which is like once every 4-5 months.

Al-ibn Kermit

From a weight perspective, you definitely won't gain weight like with regular soda. But that aspartame fake sugar is not good at all for your body. It was linked to cancers in some studies, though I'm not sure on their accuracy.

It's been the subject of several hoaxes but no, it doesn't cause any cancer. It's dangerous to say anything is "linked to cancer" if you can't even be bothered to read the wiki article on it.

I'm addicted to the French Vanilla Cappuccino at the BP gas station. I wonder how many calories are in their 16oz drink? hmm....

Yeah I considerably curbed my consumption of soda a long time ago. Soda commercials and advertising makes it seem like an okay thing to consume in the afternoon or as a substitute for a drink. If more people treated soda as a dessert/luxury beverage than I think people would be a lot healthier. I don't think it's been well marketed or brought across how unhealthy soda is for an individual. Back a few years ago I used to eat very healthy but still put on a tiny bit of weight and was confused until I started looking at drink labels. Sodas and even many juices, lemonades and teas contain tons of sugar and calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom