• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Omg they added skill re targeting for when a mob dies during battle

Also this

Elite specialization rewards have been added.
Spending the first points in an elite specialization rewards a new, unique weapon usable by that specialization.
This weapon unlocks a collection to build an upgraded, ascended version of that weapon.
Completing a heroic specialization grants a new, unique piece of armor and unlocks the ability to craft a new rune set for the specialization.

Also rip edge of mists

Reduced Edge of the Mists rewards.
Reduced event karma, gold, experience, and world experience by 25%.
The number of Badges of Honor awarded for capturing an objective has been reduced to be consistent with other WvW maps.
The chests that spawned on objective capture containing badges and ascended materials have been removed.
The Badges of Honor and ascended materials are now dropped by the objective’s boss instead

Emitan

There are a bunch of new stat prefixes. When I unlocked Dragonhunter, they gave me the option of Commander. So I jumped into PvP and saw some of the new Amulets. There are five new Amulets, and Commander wasn't even one of them. I can't imagine how many they put in.

Also, Concentration and Expertise are now stats, and you will see at least one of them on every new prefix, or at least the ones I've seen thus far. Concentration should be Boon Duration, and Expertise should be Condition Duration. Also based on what I've seen, they are almost always part of a four-stat combo.

Hackbert

ah crap. for most of my later school and uni days GW was a great timesink. would love to experience the new stuff. but at the moment my job robs me of my time.

Anno

Curse having to work today :/ Hope everyone is having fun! Those patch notes are super overwhelming with all the stuff.

Emitan

Kept crashing when I tried to enter Verdant Brink so I'm gonna wait until I have the entire expansion downloaded before trying again.

EDIT: Yep that fixed it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah, i can't even, my current activity is "trying to even" status: can't

The action camera and new targeting options alone make so so so many things possible that I was trying to jury-rig with third-party software. even to just barely approximate them

There's so much to just fucking play with, goddamn

Also unlike many of our fans I played none of the betas and didn't follow balance discussions at all (on purpose) so literally EVERYTHING is new to me. Apparently Revenant Mace 2 is a 3 second fire field on a 3 second cooldown ahahaha what.

Wanderer5

Craaaaap again so much! So much to handle, but I got to really get some sleep for now lol. Well got my engi set into the jungle while I now have a lv 80 Rev. Looking forward to working with him.:)

gw988_zpscyryvkvq.jpg

JonCha

I miss playing with GAF; the community is fantastic and very open to new or returning players. I would absolutely be jumping in again ... if I only had the time!

Mxrz

Do not train your elite spec line in Heart of the Mist. I did on two characters and the collections did not unlock. Doh.

Seiniyta

So, I've been playing Guild Wars 2 on and off for the last few years and bought the expansion. Which setting exactly enables the action cam? Can't seem to find it right away.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, I've been playing Guild Wars 2 on and off for the last few years and bought the expansion. Which setting exactly enables the action cam? Can't seem to find it right away.
There's no setting- it's a new keybind that will toggle the full mode on and off. You'll have to go set that keybind in your controls.

After that, the basics are A and D to strafe, Click/Click-hold to autoattack, Right-click to target what's under your crosshair.

edit: 71 guildies on at 5:18AM Est lol

niiight everyone

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
amazing dam awesome smooth launch, how do they do it

Keasar

Regarding the Elite Specializations, it seems to be that there is no reason -not- to go on one of the specializations. Do they plan later on to give each class more specializations so that there will be more diversity among players?

Morokh

Regarding the Elite Specializations, it seems to be that there is no reason -not- to go on one of the specializations. Do they plan later on to give each class more specializations so that there will be more diversity among players?

Some of them depending on the class are a serious trade-off since you must sacrifice a current trait line for it.

But, yes that's the plan for expanding classes in the future, although I don't think we'll see new specializations for a long while.

Keasar

Some of them depending on the class are a serious trade-off since you must sacrifice a current trait line for it.

But, yes that's the plan for expanding classes in the future, although I don't think we'll see new specializations for a long while.

Ah okay, so there is a trade-off then? All the previews regarding the specializations just talked about what you get when changing, not if you loose anything, so it made me wonder if there was any reason to stay a regular Guardian or not. Can you switch from your specializations back to regular?

Had to put mumble on mute because way too much information was getting shared and everytime someone said something I wanted to leave and go check it out.

I'm just going to focus on the story for awhile o think.

Smoothest launch ever! Amazing!

Morokh

Ah okay, so there is a trade-off then? All the previews regarding the specializations just talked about what you get when changing, not if you loose anything, so it made me wonder if there was any reason to stay a regular Guardian or not. Can you switch from your specializations back to regular?

They recently re-worked the way traits works in the game.

Basically now you pick 3 full trait line, called specializations out of 5 to make your build.

The elite one is a 6th specialization line you can pick in your selection of 3.
The only difference with the others is that it unlocks a new selection of utility skills and a new weapon you can only use only when you have this specialization line selected.

It changes the way the class is played, but it's not supposed to be an overall upgrade, the base specialization lines are still all perfectly viable.

To be fair on some classes right now it might not be the case, might be because it's all new and shiny, but they still will have some balancing to do, and they are committed to more regular balance changes and will be forced to stick with it because of PvP league resets.

In some cases, like the Ranger whose elite spec is basically a dedicated healer, if you're not going to heal, no need to take that line (unless you find some sort of synergy you can play with)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
As someone who recently got back into playing, just casually levelling and exploring and stuff. What is there for me right now? I'm currently level 47 but I thought for now I'd hold off on getting the expac.

Morokh

As someone who recently got back into playing, just casually levelling and exploring and stuff. What is there for me right now? I'm currently level 47 but I thought for now I'd hold off on getting the expac.

Everything that was available to you before is still here and didn't change.
All the UI and camera upgrades/changes are available to you.
You have access to the new Stronghold PvP mode and the new WwW borderland if that's interesting to you.
And while it may not be the case right away because everyone will be caught in HoT maps and Halloween, you will certainly see more people running around in the world taking advantage of the new map reward system and completing their Legendary collections.

The expansion is mostly level 80 progression stuff, so until you get there, you're in no real rush to buy it.

ViciousDS

Banned
They recently re-worked the way traits works in the game.

Basically now you pick 3 full trait line, called specializations out of 5 to make your build.

The elite one is a 6th specialization line you can pick in your selection of 3.
The only difference with the others is that it unlocks a new selection of utility skills and a new weapon you can only use only when you have this specialization line selected.

It changes the way the class is played, but it's not supposed to be an overall upgrade, the base specialization lines are still all perfectly viable.

To be fair on some classes right now it might not be the case, might be because it's all new and shiny, but they still will have some balancing to do, and they are committed to more regular balance changes and will be forced to stick with it because of PvP league resets.

In some cases, like the Ranger whose elite spec is basically a dedicated healer, if you're not going to heal, no need to take that line (unless you find some sort of synergy you can play with)

aw....da hell, guess I'll pick a different class. I don't even want that as an option on a ranger :(. Especially when it has the word Elite associated with it.

I'll go necromancer just so I can use a scythe lol

also omg, this really makes me go reaper! Talk about Shang Tsun levels of awaseome! The reapers healing skill is

"Your soul is mine!"

Morokh

aw....da hell, guess I'll pick a different class. I don't even want that as an option on a ranger :(. Especially when it has the word Elite associated with it.

I'll go necromancer just so I can use a scythe lol

Since stats are not tied to trait lines anymore, but entirely to gear, you can in theory select your Druid specialization, with two more damage oriented lines, and full DPS gear and still do damage while taking advantage of the new spec's healing and support options.
Just FYI :p

Ranger is definitely one of the weird specs, but there should be some interesting things to do with it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Since stats are not tied to trait lines anymore, but entirely to gear, you can in theory select your Druid specialization, with two more damage oriented lines, and full DPS gear and still do damage while taking advantage of the new spec's healing and support options.
Just FYI :p

Ranger is definitely one of the weird specs, but there should be some interesting things to do with it.

it's interesting though that they make a spec totally based on healing and support

are they slowly bringing back the trinity system? If so, I'm all for it lol

Morokh

it's interesting though that they make a spec totally based on healing and support

are they slowly bringing back the trinity system? If so, I'm all for it lol

They'll never make a hard trinity like you see in other games, but they seem to finally be able to realize their vision of the soft trinity they wanted to make at launch and well ... failed at.

While the druid elite spec is heavily focused on healing, there are several other options on other classes as well.

ViciousDS

Banned
Guys, has GW2 performance been fixed or is it still the same old engine?

performance? the game has always ran well for me......even my laptop with the GTX 675m runs the game basically at 60 on normal settings

now SWTOR......dear heavens, screw the hero engine......that engines complete garbage and can't even run the game in 1080p on low

Morokh

Guys, has GW2 performance been fixed or is it still the same old engine?

There has been no big engine change that I'm aware of, but depending on when you played last, your best bet is to log back-in and try for yourself as there have been plenty of little tweaks here and there.

Even if you encounter some issues, don't forget to mess with the graphic options, a few more options were added in there.
Just keep in mind that for some of them to take effect you need to switch maps.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I assume the pictures in the OP explain what is new in the expansion? I can't see them right now (firewall). Thinking about getting back into the game. I stopped playing back in June 2013 because of an upheaval in my life - not because I didn't like it.

But one thing that always bothered me was I didn't quite like any of the armor in the game, legendaries took forever to obtain, and the stats - particularly toughness - felt meaningless to me (what I mean by that is that you died quick regardless so you might as well go full damage). Have they addressed those issues? Is there a place where I can see the new armors they have added?

Emitan

Holy shit hero challenges take like 5 people to complete now. At least if everyone is in zerker runes and being 2 shot

Fitz

Are there any active groups of Euro GAFers out there? The friends I was playing with have pretty much all stopped playing, would like semi-regular group to PvE with.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Just read the patch notes.

"Black Feather Wings Backpack and White Feather Wings Backpack owners can receive a free matching glider by equipping the backpack and talking to any map scout in Verdant Brink."

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Spookie

Are there any active groups of Euro GAFers out there? The friends I was playing with have pretty much all stopped playing, would like semi-regular group to PvE with.

This is the only reason I've not bought this, no one to play with. No way am I paying the £20 to move to the US to play on their off peak times. Fuck that noise.

Quenk

Downloaded the patch when I woke up and logged in quickly before I get ready for work. So many new shiny things to check out.

"Black Feather Wings Backpack and White Feather Wings Backpack owners can receive a free matching glider by equipping the backpack and talking to any map scout in Verdant Brink."

Fuck wings.

I must acquire this patch

spiritfox

Mike

oh Mike

There are things in here that are tailor made for you.

Arkanius

There has been no big engine change that I'm aware of, but depending on when you played last, your best bet is to log back-in and try for yourself as there have been plenty of little tweaks here and there.

Even if you encounter some issues, don't forget to mess with the graphic options, a few more options were added in there.
Just keep in mind that for some of them to take effect you need to switch maps.

The problem always was the high count of players during the big open world events, like Dragon fights and WvW

Reducing the number of visible players always put me back into a smooth 60 FPS, but god damn, anything above Medium and it's chaos.

I'll check it out

Emitan

Gosh, Heart of Thorns is hard. Hero challenges can kick your butt if you don't do them in a group. Regular enemies (ie non veteran+ enemies) can down you in seconds in glassy gear. I'm constantly dying and it actually feels really good. It's hard to believe Guild Wars 2's PvE is actually challenging now, but it feels great.

And speaking of feeling great I love the action camera. I didn't think I'd even use it but I've fallen in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom