• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF is going on with FF Type-0?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
clean slate = tabula rasa

Type-0 total conversion for the Richard Garriot MMORPG confirmed

I was thinking Otome conversion but whatever works for you.

DtKNO.jpg

Dunan

Blame Christmas. I'm the only one pushing for anything to get done. Despite having no Japanese knowledge whatsoever.

I suppose I could do a few more pages of the Codex this weekend. It's a little unwieldy working with screenshots; if only we had a text dump. ...of course, if that were obtainable technically, fan-translating this game would be a whole lot easier...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I suppose I could do a few more pages of the Codex this weekend. It's a little unwieldy working with screenshots; if only we had a text dump. ...of course, if that were obtainable technically, fan-translating this game would be a whole lot easier...

Take your time. I know you have work.

If we got a text dump that would be great but encryption has prevented that from occurring.

Toth

I wonder if the decent VIta sales is holiday season may convince SE to finally release it as a DD release...

RedSwirl

If an English fan translation actually drops before any official announcement from SE, It might actually be the final straw that get's me to install CFW. I've stayed on official firmware the entire time I've owned a PSP, and the only reason I'd drop it is for fan translations.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If an English fan translation actually drops before any official announcement from SE, It might actually be the final straw that get's me to install CFW. I've stayed on official firmware the entire time I've owned a PSP, and the only reason I'd drop it is for fan translations.

I got CFW when I found that screencapturing stuff for cool game wallpapers could be used to capture the JP text.

And unofficial Duodecim DLC is pretty cool.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
How long did that chinese translation take? and with how many people?

Version 2.0 of the translation was released in Dec last year so that took about 2 months. They released a 3.0 just in Oct I believe. I'm not too sure how large their team is but probably about 10. They're usually very efficient with translations, releasing an average of 5 to 7 per year.

Did anybody ever actually get around to contacting the Chinese translation group?

I wanted to pm the person who is in charge of doing decryption and coding but the forum uses a complex system of levels and points and I don't have PM rights yet.

tiku

If you are looking for some “how the game files work” direction, I remember that a spanish romhacker (whose nickname is SkyBladeCloud) worked on type-0 a few months ago, but didn't translate anything since Operation Suzaku members didn't want to, and there was almost no interest in translating, but waiting for S-E to localize the game.

I asked him about this, and he answered me (which I'm posting here since he doesn't have a gaf account and the validation process is pretty long).

He's been the main programmer in a LOT of spanish translations for almost every system, and took about 20 minutes to write spanish text in the ingame commands (the link is down, so I can't post it here).

Hope this is enough information to start working, and if not, I'll ask him.

”SkyBladeCloud” said:
To begin with, the ISO. We all know the PSP “modus operandi”, huh? ;) Once opened, we see two files, typical in S-E. If I'm not mistaken, their names were “Yellow”(with different extensions). The big one includes all the game files, whereas the little one defines the file system format, and delimits which sectors of the big one correspond to the different unpacked files.

Using both “Yellow”, the file system format can be unpacked. The format is the same used in “The 3rd Birthday”, it's pretty simple, since the table scheme is:
[information about the file system format, somewhat irrelevant]
[number of packed files]
-Then, for each file
[sector in which it is localized]
[size]
[extra information we should not care about]

Problem: What's the point of unpacking, if we have a huge amount of incomprehensible files? Well, it's all based on investgation!

The graphic files are encoded to ARBG8888 and indexed to 8 bits (256 colours) with resolution on the header and PSP interlaced. This should be enough to edit any image (font included)
The sound files are ADPCM stream packages, a which generates 4 bit for every 16. The header is “SSCF” (the same as dissidia, 3rd birthday, etc).
Of course, there's a lot of AT3 audio, pretty common in PSP.
Likewise, the video stream are in an inoffensive PMF format (MPEG2 with custom structure, but there are lots of tools for these).

Getting deeper on the system files. These (which includes 3d models and story text) are packed. It's like the “Yellow” file was the main directory of the game, and the extracted files, subdirectories, so we have to keep unpacking. It's easy. Every little package has:

[number of packed files]
-For each file:
[Offset and a size]
[and ID]

With this information, exctracting them is trivial. What's important is the ID. The one we're interested on is the one named “lang”, which includes the story texts. Obviously, these texts cannot be read/edited at first. THEY ARE NEITHER COMPRESSED NOR ENCRYPTED. They just use a custom coding. Each character is 16 bits (like UTF16), and the pointers are after the thext.

The idea would be decoding the text. What S-E uses to do (FFI, FFII, FFIV, T3B, VP, SO and many other psp games), is change each character, for its font possition. So, given this font:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The characters would be encoded this way (16 bits):

000100020003000400050006000700080009000a000b000c000d000e000f0010001100120013001400150016001700180019001a001b001c001d001e001f0020002100220023

With this and using the pointers (which I haven't investigated deeply), the story could be easily modified.

Misc. and menus remain, which are at 8 bits and are way more accesible, though they use 16 bits pointers and we should, either economize them, or translating them would be a mess. Of course, once the story text has been accessed, these should be insanely easy.

In conclussion, it's a wonder the game hasn't been translated to eight billion languages: there are pretty much more complicated games that are translated, and I think people who know how this works, care less about this game than S-E does.
Hope this is helpful to somebody.

~Sky

I found the link to ACG webpage and forum. but there are download files inside, the forum is mostly threads asking ACG to translate more games. Should i post it here? Hmm seems like ACG never really reply in the forum.......

ACG are gody they translated FF type 0 , shining blade ,zelda skyward swords ,super paper mario, fire emblem,st ranker etc. Total 27 (!) games this year over 3 platforms (ds , wii , psp) in 2012 only . Most are text heavy games, and from what i read online and from the pictures , the translations are really good.

edit:
lol respect.
They took 3 months to break and translate the game 01/18 patch released.
2 hacker/cracker:  破解:TPU、刘泪
one art touch up  美工:狐狐
 14(!) translators  翻译:OS、狐狐、大河上下、野田猫、届かぬ心、斯林、SENGOKU、
     GUUUUU、神無月時雨、Nerv、Wangwxb、毛绒绒蘑菇、Angel风/yl、丁一
  3 special thanks: 特别鸣谢:巴士专题组超铃音、大A
       繁体版协力阿柏

tiku

Ripped by SkyBladeCloud (he seems to be making more advances fastest than I had expected)

file1u.png
63386755.png
91424203.png

Some constants of the game...:

Code:
    IFRIT,0x00012
    GOLEM,0x00013
    SIVA,0x00014
    ODIN,0x00015
    DIABOLOS,0x00016
    BAHAMUT,0x00017
    GILGAMESH,0x00011
    IFRIT_A,0x00018
    IFRIT_B,0x00019
    IFRIT_C,0x0001a
    IFRIT_D,0x0001b
    IFRIT_E,0x0001c
    GOLEM_A,0x0001d
    GOLEM_B,0x0001e
    GOLEM_C,0x0001f
    GOLEM_D,0x00020
    GOLEM_E,0x00021
    SIVA_C,0x00022
    SIVA_E,0x00023
    ODIN_E,0x00024
    ODIN_S,0x00025
    DIABOLOS_C,0x00026
    DIABOLOS_E,0x00027
    BAHAMUT_E,0x00028
    BAHAMUT_S,0x00029
    BAHAMUT_P,0x0002a
    VOLLEY,0x00005012
    SUZAKU,0x00005241

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Code:
    IFRIT,0x00012
    GOLEM,0x00013
    SIVA,0x00014
    ODIN,0x00015
    DIABOLOS,0x00016
    BAHAMUT,0x00017
    GILGAMESH,0x00011
    IFRIT_A,0x00018
    IFRIT_B,0x00019
    IFRIT_C,0x0001a
    IFRIT_D,0x0001b
    IFRIT_E,0x0001c
    GOLEM_A,0x0001d
    GOLEM_B,0x0001e
    GOLEM_C,0x0001f
    GOLEM_D,0x00020
    GOLEM_E,0x00021
    SIVA_C,0x00022
    SIVA_E,0x00023
    ODIN_E,0x00024
    ODIN_S,0x00025
    DIABOLOS_C,0x00026
    DIABOLOS_E,0x00027
    BAHAMUT_E,0x00028
    BAHAMUT_S,0x00029
    BAHAMUT_P,0x0002a
    VOLLEY,0x00005012
    SUZAKU,0x00005241

Summon Values.

Volley and Suzaku interest me.

GILGAMESH seemed to be a early summon suggestion but was ultimately dropped.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Suzaku is probably referring to Phoenix, planned as a summon at first but finally cut and recycled as the statue in front of Peristylium's main building.

Phoenix model is incomplete. As opposed to Nemesis(Original Summon), Typhon and Pandemona.

yurinka

Considering that both PS3 and Vita have PSP emulator and share some library stuff I'd say that to make an 'HD' crossbuy version wouldn't take too much budget and would do a nice work worldwide.

Just found this out in Kotaku's interview with Xseed:

http://kotaku.com/5971695/the-game-...-neglected-japanese-games-new-life-in-america

"Most of the big names that people keep requesting from us over the years, we've been in talks on," Berry said. "There's a couple that we were right there... like one that would've pretty much shocked the industry if we could've announced it. But for whatever reason, at the very end, maybe some executives at the company just realized that this brand is too important to their company to license out to another company. Even if their U.S. branch isn't going to publish it, they can't let anyone else publish it.

I think we all know what this game is.

This pisses me off:

I remember that a spanish romhacker (whose nickname is SkyBladeCloud) worked on type-0 a few months ago, but didn't translate anything since Operation Suzaku members didn't want to, and there was almost no interest in translating, but waiting for S-E to localize the game.

Fact is, a group making progress on English translation will probably be the only thing that will make S-E release the game. Just get on it!

It could be a multitude of things really.

Any how many of them could've "shocked the industry"? Doubt anyone gives a damn about Tales and Mother 3. But Final Fantasy not published by S-E - that would've been something.

Takao

Banned
Video Game Journalism (tm) has had a gigantic hard on for the Mother series for ages, so XSEED releasing that would make headlines. The thing is, given Ken said that this year there's no way it was Mother.

Just found this out in Kotaku's interview with Xseed:

http://kotaku.com/5971695/the-game-...-neglected-japanese-games-new-life-in-america

I think we all know what this game is.

Eh, there's a fair amount of hyperbole in that statement to begin with - would anything XSEED could possibly have announced, even Type-0, really have "shocked" the entire industry?

I'm guessing it was something from a company that has generally blocked external publishers from handling localizations (Nintendo, Square Enix, Namco with respect to the Tales franchise), but that still leaves a number of possibilities.

Toth

Just curious but what is the sales potential of PSN? Can the game sell 300k+ if they decided on a PS3/ Vita DD release?

Top Bottom