• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 pre-E3 video hits tomorrow

Acid08

Banned
Pankaks said:
It's playable I guess but expect a couple frame drops in combat occasionally.

Usually after a slowdown the character you were controlling becomes stuck so you have to switch. Not a huge problem if you are with a group but there are some solo acts which can make things extremely frustrating.

My advice: Save very very frequently
Seriously, don't count on auto saves.

If you can get past all that, then prepare for one of the best games ever :D .
Yes to the bolded. I got burned so many times early in the game for not saving constantly.

Also I'm playing both on the PC. KOTOR was so horribly optimized.

VaLiancY

I'm so autosave dependent in video games, I've lost countless hours of gameplay in one game alone due to not manually saving. :lol

Acid08

Banned
VaLiancY said:
I'm so autosave dependent in video games, I've lost countless hours of gameplay in one game alone due to not manually saving. :lol
You will need to destroy that mentality to play KOTOR.

JayDubya

Banned
VaLiancY said:
She may not be racist but she's a bitch, if you talk to her in the Normandy after the major parts of the game, she talks about why Shepard gives Tali
(why does she hang out in the engine room and Quarians are nothing scavangers)
, Garrus and Wrex so much leeway around the ship.

As already mentioned, it's reasonable for a Human soldier to distrust non-military, non-allied personnel around their prototype awesomesauce new toy. Much like virtually every other crew member with a speaking part.

Wrex, in particular, is a bounty hunter for crying out loud. Ultimately, you're the commander of the vessel, so your mission needs trump protocol, but don't fail to understand just how badly protocol is being broken. And of course, she defers, but when you ask someone their honest opinion, you get it.

And you know, it's really not the worst thing in the world to distrust a culture as aggressive and historically genocide-prone as the Turians. They adopted a shoot first and ask questions never policy with humanity before the Council stopped the war. And then the Council levied the cost of that conflict on the Human Systems Alliance, when the Turians were the aggressors. Gee, I wonder where any possible resentment might come from.

I don't know. IMO, full-Renegade Shepard is a crazy, xenophobic asshole and full-Paragon Shepard is a giant bleeding-heart, kumbaya-singing pussy (either of these is most egregious in the big speeches Shepard has to give to the crew).

I like semi-neutral Paragon-leaning Shepard. And I <3 Ashley.

I hope the whole crew comes back. If Kaidan and Ashley don't get full roles in the new game, I'd hope they'd at least shrink their roles and lines and dialogue so you could at least see them. Not that I particularly care about Kaidan - man, he was dull, and I actually liked Carth Onassi a lot - but as the romance interests / possible KIAs they're inexorably linked.

VaLiancY said:
She may not be racist but she's a bitch, if you talk to her in the Normandy after the major parts of the game, she talks about why Shepard gives Tali
(why does she hang out in the engine room and Quarians are nothing scavangers)
, Garrus and Wrex so much leeway around the ship.

This is the kind of stuff that makes her the most realistic character in the game...

Ashley is great for a number of different reasons.

She's a non-biotic human. Being non-biotic means that unlike Kaidan, you don't need to hear a bunch of shit about being an L2, biotic training, and BAaT. Being human, she doesn't say anything at all about "our species" or "our culture".

I feel that she is just as soft and feminine as she is hardened. I mean, a lot of people poked fun at this, but I liked the whole reciting poetry thing. It introduced an aspect of her character that wasn't just about the military. She also gives you the most information about her family and history.

Keep in mind that Ashley comes out strongly against Terra Firma. Also, if you pick the right dialogue, you can somewhat get Ashley to agree to accepting aliens a bit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hocez05Tqg8

Lastly, I know that if you are with Ashley and Liara at the end of the game, it's Ashley who defends the council, while Liara suggest that you kill em.

---

Far as Tali goes...it would be awesome if Tali actually was stealing information from the ship. Doubt that Bioware would ever go there or even remember this storyline...but think about it, the Normandy gets destroyed (from this video, it appears that this definitely happens), a ship like it is needed to enter the terminus systems or geth space but the alliance has yet to build another one. You and your crew are in a bind, and low and behold, the Quarians have the same technology up and running because Tali had been slipping them secrets that she got when she was in your engine room....:D

kmfdmpig said:
Lots of good stuff in the IGN article, but one slight disappointment is:
One thing that won't be changing is the game's length. Expect Mass Effect 2 to be about as long as the original.

I'm the type that got every mineral deposit and killed everything possible, but still I wouldn't have minded the game being a bit longer (I beat it about 4-5 times, however, so it's not a matter of getting my money's worth) as a few more main story planets or at least better side mission planets would have made it go from my game of the generation to my game of the forever. :D

The main quest was described as short by some...I thought it hit the sweet spot. I wouldn't have replayed the game as much had the main quest been much longer. My first run through was 50 hours (And I too did the mineral deposit quest and Salarian tags and all that). But on new playthroughs I can get through the main quest in like 8 hours....perfect for me.

I mean, I wouldn't mind if all of the main planets were as big as the citadel, but the game doesn't need to be super long for me to enjoy it.

Acid08

Banned
What lightsaber combination do you guys think is most effective in KOTOR 2? I played the first with two lightsabers. But to actually maximize your efficiency would it be best to go with single, two, or a double bladed one?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Acid08 said:
What lightsaber combination do you guys think is most effective in KOTOR 2? I played the first with two lightsabers. But to actually maximize your efficiency would it be best to go with single, two, or a double bladed one?

Double, especially if you wanna use the crystal glitch.

Real men use blasters though.

Acid08

Banned
HK-47 said:
Double, especially if you wanna use the crystal glitch.

Real men use blasters though.
Double as in two singles or one double bladed?

I'm doing a lot of preparation to play this. Looking up tweak guides and shit so I can avoid all potential crashes or bugs. Did the 1.03b pat h pretty much fix everything up?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Acid08 said:

I used a double-bladed lightsaber and had a good amount of STR (Jedi Guardian). Combine that with "
Flurry
"+"
Master Speed
" and you basically win the game.

But, I suppose for Maximum efficiency you should use 2 singles with good crystals.

Acid08

Banned
Pankaks said:
I used a double-bladed lightsaber and had a good amount of STR (Jedi Guardian). Combine that with "Flurry"+"Master Speed" and you basically win the game.
Yeah I learned that lesson the hard way trying to beat Malak at the end of 1. Took me so long to figure out a winning strategy with the way I had my character spec'd.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Acid08 said:
Double as in two singles or one double bladed?

I'm doing a lot of preparation to play this. Looking up tweak guides and shit so I can avoid all potential crashes or bugs. Did the 1.03b pat h pretty much fix everything up?

Dual sabers

I actually do wish ME1 was longer, and more substantial.

ME1 just kind of felt like like, oh hey -- Citadel, and a planet, a research mine, another cave, and back to the citadel, and here comes the ending!

It didn't really convey a sense of belonging in a multi species galaxy. In fact, walking outside of the hull in Dead Space for 2 minutes brought a better sense of space than all of Mass Effect 1.

I still enjoyed it, that's why I'm looking foward to ME2, but I'd rather have a more focused, longer, all encompassing single play through then trying to artifically value the game with mulitple shorter replays.

Flyguy

I have a really shitty memory. I barely remember the story in ME or which characters I did what with. Normally this isn't a problem with sequels because I get back up to speed pretty quickly, but evidently in ME2 the story is going to be impacted by choices I don't remember making in the first one. I should probably just skip two and wait for three to come out and just play them all at the same time.

Littleberu said:
Because she's a RACIST.
She's not, she is even calling the Terra Firma Party out about it.

edit: Also the most boring characters are Kaidan (Shepard’s the alpha male, don’t need no outdated human biotic giving me advice about the mission) and Garrus (washed up C-Sec officer who gets himself killed in every battle). Can't stand Wrex too, the Krogans feel like a cheap ripoff of the Klingons and manage to look even sillier. - didn't kill him though, he might be useful in the future. Ashley's cool although I think I messed up when I asked her for a threesome. :(

Littleberu said:
Because she's a RACIST.

:lol True, but....

I wanted to craft an awesome romance between her and Shepard though.
They need to work on that. Also the sex cutscenes were dumb.

Also ran with Wrex + Garrus. Didn't care for either of the ladies too much.
Aiden was kinda cool. Wasn't that his name? Whatever his name was...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Action Jackson said:

edit: Also the most boring characters are Kaidan (Shepard’s the alpha male, don’t need no outdated human biotic giving me advice about the mission) and Garrus (washed up C-Sec officer who gets himself killed in every battle). Can't stand Wrex too, the Krogans feel like a cheap ripoff of the Klingons and manage to look even sillier. - didn't kill him though, he might be useful in the future. Ashley's cool although I think I messed up when I asked her for a threesome. :(

If you dont think Liara is the most worthless and poorly written character of the bunch, you can sit in the corner.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kyoufu said:
What is wrong with Liara? She gave great head.

The most bland, lifeless character in the game. VA and writing team made her exactly what you said she was, an excuse for alien sex and halfassed lesbianism.

If you do go off and explore the galaxy, you do a subplot, these things start to really matter to the people you are accumulating on your ship. As you get towards the end [of the game], your decisions really start to snowball.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge?

itxaka

Defeatist
Action Jackson said:

what

No.

HK-47 said:
If you dont think Liara is the most worthless and poorly written character of the bunch, you can sit in the corner.

Didn't really mind her, she played the typical "I'm a scientist and only interested in you as an object of study" role, so getting some of that blue ass eventually felt like quite an accomplishment. Her relationship with the Matriarch was purely executed however. I took her with me on the mission on Noveria and expected that huge confrontation between mother and daughter and all I got was "meh" from both of them.

itxaka said:

Sorry man, but he did nothing for me. I always felt I was missing out when he was in my team. Even his armor retrieving sidequest was kinda lame. I would have definitely been interested in finding a cure for the genophage in this game or the next ones so that the Krogans can be presented as more than just low in numbers thugs and mercenaries.

JayDubya

Banned
Acid08 said:

Efficiency? Well, in all likelihood, you'll be synthing one crystal and otherwise using your character's unique crystal.

If you want max damage, probably a double saber so your best damage dealing crystals are attached to both sides of one weapon. If you're looking for other properties besides just damage, one possibility is your primary built for damage and your second saber built for deflection.

I wouldn't go single saber unless you've got some serious force power damage output. The end of the game is poorly made and not particularly forgiving.

Action Jackson said:

HK-47 said:

I really liked Ashley, Wrex, and Tali. Garrus and Kaidan were the most bland and boring characters, to me. Liara was alright, but there wasn't enough conflict or substance to make her truly memorable.

Action Jackson said:
I would have definitely been interested in finding a cure for the genophage in this game or the next ones so that the Krogans can be presented as more than just low in numbers thugs and mercenaries.

I really didn't want to destroy the cure. I didn't like how the game forced the issue. If the game is touted as being about moral choices and tough decisions that have a huge impact on future events, I would like the option to partially undo the Turians' genocide.

http://www.deeko.com/news/?p=11636

2wqqrub.jpg

Awesome fucking cover, which is rare for OXM.

Too bad his eyes are all fucked up....:lol

C- Warrior said:
I actually do wish ME1 was longer, and more substantial.

ME1 just kind of felt like like, oh hey -- Citadel, and a planet, a research mine, another cave, and back to the citadel, and here comes the ending!

It didn't really convey a sense of belonging in a multi species galaxy. In fact, walking outside of the hull in Dead Space for 2 minutes brought a better sense of space than all of Mass Effect 1.

I still enjoyed it, that's why I'm looking foward to ME2, but I'd rather have a more focused, longer, all encompassing single play through then trying to artifically value the game with mulitple shorter replays.

Yeah, pretty much my sentiment...Although I did not feel it was overly short given what they presented, the game was not nearly as epic as they were touting...just because it took place across planets and click on galaxy maps doesn't immediately equal epic...FFXII for example was far more epic in scale

dejan

Dark FaZe said:
I'm digging that armor. Looks a little more stylized and not quite as 'space suitish'.
I loved the cold clinical look of the universe established in Mass Effect and hope they don't stray too far away from it.

golem

dejan said:
I loved the cold clinical look of the universe established in Mass Effect and hope they don't stray too far away from it.
well, we're going to the grittier side of the universe this time..

Chinner

Banned
nobody really gives a shit because this thread is about mass effect and not about ~anime square~.

im liking the armour more now, its grown on me

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I like the look of that armor - makes it look like he's truly someone of a higher status than any other soldier in the universe while retaining the patented red stripe that you've known him to have on his arm since the first time you saw him...

Can't wait to read the first details from this OXM!

And no, no one really cares about Square in a Mass Effect 2, sorry.

Lakitu

st5fu
Details from the OXM Issue (Hunter 192 from Mass Effect community):

well there are alot of screen shots of the game, one of them is the interior of the Normandy which looks bigger and different. if anyone has questions i would be glad to answer them

ok yes it is the Normandy, and the special geth is from the first teaser trailer, and lead cinematics animator Parrish Ley thinks people will really connect with him (wut?)

ok you know that wallpaper with the giant blue space station
thats the main Cerberus outpost, we also visit an asari planet called Illium which has skyscrapers and whatnot, and also Omega station

As for the asari planet, I believe that the GDC footage showing the flying cars and skyscrapers are the same since there is a screenshot of the same place.

And about Shepard, well according to the magazine
we definitely play as Shepard for at least a decent chunk of the game.

New Character:
And as for Thane, he is a possible party member and will be shown in action during an assassination, you'll see how his performance might tempt you to recruit him.

im sorry but that all it said about Shepard, although it said that
there are human colonies literally disappearing all around the galaxy, and Shepard's the man or woman for the job,even though Shepard been told its a suicde mission.

it also said that if you were particularly extreme about going Paragon or Renegade in both games,
there would be extra-special endings.

as for Shepard OXM stated that part about how much we play as Shepard, Casey Hudson said and i quote "Shepard appears much bigger and more powerful, and he's presented in adarker,grittier style". "This is all part of the game's high-action descent into the darkest, most brutal parts of the Mass Effect universe".

ok here is the article that said that, Sweet, he just confirmed Mass Effect 3! But,um,what about Shepard? BioWare's keeping his exact fate a secret until E3, but we saw a lot of the early portion of Mass Effect 2 in our visit,and you definitely
play as Shepard for at least a decent chunk of the game.

well it didnt say much about our old squadmates, but it did mention a few of them though no names were given, also Casey Huson stated that Joker would return in Mass Effect 2 as will a lot of main characters from Mass Efeect 1.

There was also a screenshot of a krogan, who's friends call him Grunt, but everyone else best not call him at all.

also along with Thane, the OXM crew were introduced to another potential new party member,
A tough but clever salarian scientist, who's the Clint Eastwood of scientists.

also they were talking about a few weapons from the game, one weapon dissolves an enemy into a pile of dust, while the other which everyone called the "nuke gun" unleashes room-clearing nuclear fire.

Also secondary races like the volus and elcor are no longer stuck in a place,you'll see them moving around levels, which "makes things a little bit more interesting" says Hudson.

Mass Effect 1 DLC
There was a little info about dlc, but nothing major i will quote Casey, "We are definitely working on a substantial new DLC. We're finishing it up and making sure that it's going to be really good, and then we'll announce it, probably pretty. That'll be the last thing between Mass Effect 1 and 2 in terms of content.

Not a lot of info about the drell or Thane,except that they look amphilbious, and that Thane is a smooth,suave character, in one screenshot Thane came up behind a human and broke his neck.

The magazine also showed a
male quarian with what looks like medium or heavy armor
and looks awesome.

well not a lot of pictures of planets in the magazine, but they did show
omega station and the main Cerberus outpost
. as for uncharted planets Casey said and i quote, We decided to really improve a lot of the points of interaction throughout that experience. We'll be showing this at E3, but there's more [going on] when you're in orbit ,looking at [a planet], scanning, and ridingdown to the surface. And there's a much stronger focus on really rich, interesting set-piece location.

in a short article they explained what there going to show at E3, 1 whether Shepard is really dead, 2 new transit system, 3 uncharted-worlds exploration, 4 who you ultimately play as, 5 more info on Thane.

the new transit system is replacing the old elevators loading screen.

Pictures description:
one picture has 3 of our newest enemy those assault mechs from the prelude E3 video, the other is the interior of the SSV Normandy what looks like Shepards quarters but its larger and different from ME1, even has a scale model of the Normandy in the room, the next one has Thane sneaking up behind a human and breaking his neck, a pic of Omega station and the main Cerberus outpost, and the last ones are showing Shepard,a krogan called Grunt, and a male quarian.

the Shepard shown in the magazine is indeed the default male Shepard, and he does not appear to be beat-up like the front cover. And
Omega Station is set in an astroid field, the station itself the top half is a mined out astroid, while the lower half is a long tube most likley where the docking bays, stores and other stuff is.

Normandy Interior:
I dont know, they only showed one screenshot of the interior, but its indeed much larger than in ME1, from the pic im assuming its Shepards private quarters and its 2 to 3 times larger than his old quarters, it looks really awesome.

they did mention the Mako saying its a different vehicle and moves in a different way which they are revealing later, and no they said nothing about how many party members we will have.

Another Summary
- You WILL play as Shepard, but for how long we don't know
- There is a new species called the Drell and Thane is a new character who is an assassin and may join your party
- Planets -
There will be a Krogan planet, and Illium, an Asari planet, that is like Coruscant from SW. Also there is "Omega" with is like an anti-Citadel in that it's huge and it's the bottom of the barrel whereas the Citadel is the height of civilization. Also a Cerebus mothership will act as a location of significance.
- Story -
The ultimate story is still civilization fending off the Reapers, but this chapter will deal with this Cerebus corporation and it's enigmatic leader. There are human civilizations disapearing and it's up to Shepard to investigate, it's termed as a "suicide mission" which may lead to the details of the teaser.
- New vehicle that controls better than the Mako...a "new" control scheme....motion control maybe?
- Totally revamped inventory system!
- Elevator system revamped where you will get the sense of scope of where you're at and where you're travelling.
- NO MORE TEXTURE POP IN!
- Secondary races like Volus and Elcor are much more mobile, giving more depth and makes things more interesting.
- Choices are more meaningful and there is a real risk that major support characters (i.e. anyone not Shepard) can and will die.
- Also on the story, they're super-hyping the ending, saying that it's much more grand meaningful in ME2. ME1 had one of the most impacting endings ever, how the hell are they gonna pull this off?
- More weapons, more species, more/new team members.
- returning team members, locations, weapons.

All in all, an excellent article. I tried to capture the most important news. It's really a giant tease for E3.

Oh, and they say there will be one more DLC for ME1, which should be announced soon!

Top Bottom