• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

hohoXD123

Finally finished the Wii version. So, so good. If I hadn't constantly seen this game being mentioned on here I doubt I'd have played this masterpiece.

I finally bought this game last night! Only 30 minutes in and I'm enjoying it, but good lord that voice acting...
Thought the same initially, but stick with it, it's actually pretty great, plus you'll understand what they're saying during battles.

Fusebox

Banned
I finally bought this game last night! Only 30 minutes in and I'm enjoying it, but good lord that voice acting...

Yeah it grows on you. Apart from the battle cries, they have A.D.D. Everyone yelling about the enemies they just fought and how tough they are.

I'm like, guys we just killed 1 rat.

I'm at around the 35 hour mark now and loving the game much more than I did around the 20 hour mark.

I kind of rotate between 3 partys.

Shulk, Reyn and Sharla for long battles that need healing
Shulk, Reyn and Dunban for short battles that need high dps
Shulk, Reyn and Melia for battles that need ether damage

Is this an okay strat?

Is this an okay strat?

Dunban can draw a ton of aggro, so you can even use him in stead of reyn. The important thing to remember is to never think you have to play a certain way, or primarily use one character just because that's the traditional role.

As many people have said above, Sharla has her uses but many on us barely use her through out the game (I know I didn't use her much).

One tip of advice, if you ever feel like you need to grind, don't. Instead go and do quests. The exp gains and extra items/gems really can make the difference. I personally recommend doing the colony 9 ones for where you are in the game as your "breather" quests. Varied, easy monsters around that area, and there are a ton of them.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah it grows on you. Apart from the battle cries, they have A.D.D. Everyone yelling about the enemies they just fought and how tough they are.

I'm like, guys we just killed 1 rat.

I'm at around the 35 hour mark now and loving the game much more than I did around the 20 hour mark.

Is this an okay strat?

Melia actually can become your best DPS char with the right gear, gems, and arts. You pretty much have to use her as the main char though to use her effectively, the AI can't utilize her well, which is bad for a glass cannon type.

I pretty much had her as my main for most of the game. Not everyone likes her playstyle though.

Dingens

I want to change to a new cartridge, not new console. Would I be correct to assume that's not possible?

I thought there was some kind of extraction tool on the eshop or something... could be mistaken though, as I never had any use for that kind of thing

Ah kk sorry man I don't know nothin' about that.

I'm on an upcurve of enjoyment in this game atm, I'm doing Melias Tomb stuff and there's some good battles. I still have trouble balancing out my partys physical attack, ether attack and healing powers. Feels like I either don't have enough ether damage or enough healing at time.

if your damage output is high enough you won't need any healing period. just replace sharla with riki and you should be fine
also get a few agility gems if possible and use skill links to boost everyone's agility.

Fusebox

Banned
Thanks for the pro tips guys. It feels weird to me not having the main character in my party. Like FFVII without Cloud or something so I didn't even really consider it but might give it a try.

Dice//

Banned
I'm just in to brag. I was at Canada's FanExpo and got to get Jenna Coleman's autograph. Nothing like her saying "Melia Antiqua" off her own tongue and telling a bit about the experience. Plus, dear lord she's pretty, and I've loved her on Doctor Who.

She told me she never played it (of course) but I reminded her she 'picked good'.

p8HSH7R.jpg
Mmm signed. I think the only other cast member's sig I'd want is Reyn's actor... and to, y'know, write "Reyn Time" on there... :p

Xbro

I'm just in to brag. I was at Canada's FanExpo and got to get Jenna Coleman's autograph. Nothing like her saying "Melia Antiqua" off her own tongue and telling a bit about the experience. Plus, dear lord she's pretty, and I've loved her on Doctor Who.

She told me she never played it (of course) but I reminded her she 'picked good'.

Mmm signed. I think the only other cast member's sig I'd want is Reyn's actor... and to, y'know, write "Reyn Time" on there... :p

Could you elaborate on the experience she told you about? I'm interested in hearing.

Qwyjibo

I kinda feel like an idiot. I only realized that I could travel back easily to past locations using the "area maps" when I reached Mechonis. I've used quick travel in many spots but never really noticed that option in the menu. I just kept plowing through the main story and completing the odd side quest here and there.

Is there any reason to go back and complete some of the sidequests in Frontier Village or rebuilding Colony 6? Does it affect the ending in any way?

I really like the main story of this game but the side quests and side characters seem so inconsequential. I feel like the game gives me zero reason to go out of my way to complete any of them.

Xbro

I kinda feel like an idiot. I only realized that I could travel back easily to past locations using the "area maps" when I reached Mechonis. I've used quick travel in many spots but never really noticed that option in the menu. I just kept plowing through the main story and completing the odd side quest here and there.

Is there any reason to go back and complete some of the sidequests in Frontier Village or rebuilding Colony 6? Does it affect the ending in any way?

I really like the main story of this game but the side quests and side characters seem so inconsequential. I feel like the game gives me zero reason to go out of my way to complete any of them.

You can go the entire game without doing any sidequests. Colony 6 gives you some good rewards, and there are some really really interesting frontier village quests.

Dice//

Banned
Could you elaborate on the experience she told you about? I'm interested in hearing.

Hah nothing too big (or at least for me, I've listened to a number of voice actor interviews). But she mentioned that you're usually recording the same line a number of time, like you'll do ten 'versions' of a sort-of attack "HAYAAH".
....I totally wanted to go "YEAH STARLIGHT KICK SHE GOES 'HAYAH'..!!" But I didn't want to look like a complete geek.
tumblr_lzln2vsRZo1qzlvmi.gif

She was really lovely and polite too (she did say she didn't see that many Xenoblade copies to sign, I'm guessing more people know her as a Doctor Who companion haha).

Also, just adding... it's not fair, that girl looks Photoshop-perfect-looking.

Qwyjibo

You can go the entire game without doing any sidequests. Colony 6 gives you some good rewards, and there are some really really interesting frontier village quests.
I went back and did a couple of the Colony 6 rebuilding ones. After a few upgrades, I just felt the weight of the backtracking required to get a few extra materials that I missed and said "forget about it". If those things had some consequence to the "end state" of the world after I finish the game, yeah, I'd probably be going back and doing them.

I guess this shows that Xenoblade does a pretty good job in terms of pacing the main quest and ensuring you almost never need to grind unless you completely ignore every side quest out there (which I didn't).

NolbertoS

continue the story? there is no relation between those 2 games except for the name...

btw: how far are you?

I'm now about 10 hours into the game and now feel like its opened up and more fun. I guess the initial setup of exploring the city and countryside around you, bored me to bits. Now that I have the Monado, makes the game way more fun. Still having abit of trouble getting chain attacks.

XiaNaphryz

There's only one sidequest truly related to the plot in any majorish sort of way, and also happens to be the only voiced sidequest. It's towards the very end though, and features a potentially higher level boss fight than what your party could be at that point in time.

That said, sidequests are a good way to get a bunch of equipment and gems if you do them along the way (earlier ones will give stuff appropriate to the level you may first encounter them, so doing them a lot later would mean those rewards won't be very useful). Also note that a lot of sidequests aren't available unless you have a certain overall affinity towards an area, certain relationships appear on the affinity chart, etc.

TheMoon

Woow, awesome! So jelly :D

I'm really enjoying this so far. I've spent 20 hours on it and I'm still on tColony 6. I've been trying to do all the side missions though. Is it worth doing all the missions?

**4 months later**

XenobladeGAF, I need help :(
I'm about 103 hours in and I'm stuck on "that boss". The boss who resides in a giant heart, thinks it's funny to throw you into green pools of piss and summons exploding fart gas monsters. (Is a disciple)

Yeah so, she is annoying. The problem is that I can't figure out how to get the AI to work. My team is: Riki, Melia and Sharla(level 74). I tried using Shulk on point but I have no healer and this get defeated very quickly. Sharla is a great healer.....when She wants to heal. 3 times. I've come close to beating Disciple L******** but Sharla refuses to heal. I even took all of her attacks off So all she can do is heal and Sharla still manages to do nothing but chip away with 168 damage while my team are on red health then end up dying. How do you command the AI to actually do their job? I know the 3 commands available with ZR but spamming all of them still still results in Sharla blowing kisses to the boss.

Only reason I haven't snapped my New3DSXL is because I play this on my travel to and from work/out in public.

TheMoon

**4 months later**

I'm about 103 hours in and I'm stuck on "that boss". The boss who resides in a giant heart, thinks it's funny to throw you into green pools of piss and summons exploding fart gas monsters. (Is a disciple)

Yeah so, she is annoying. The problem is that I can't figure out how to get the AI to work. My team is: Riki, Melia and Sharla(level 74). I tried using Shulk on point but I have no healer and this get defeated very quickly. Sharla is a great healer.....when She wants to heal. 3 times. I've come close to beating Disciple L******** but Sharla refuses to heal. I even took all of her attacks off So all she can do is heal and Sharla still manages to do nothing but chip away with 168 damage while my team are on red health then end up dying. How do you command the AI to actually do their job? I know the 3 commands available with ZR but spamming all of them still still results in Sharla blowing kisses to the boss.

Only reason I haven't snapped my New3DSXL is because I play this on my travel to and from work/out in public.

Get rid of Sharla, pick anyone else. Or control Sharla yourself if you must.

VegiHam

**4 months later**

For this battle, you have two choices: quickly and efficiently defeat the summoned monsters in order, or just blast the boss with Ether damage. The reason this fight is so tough is that it won't take physical damage as long as the summoned monsters are present. Target the one with the smallest number in its name and have your whole party attack it. Frequently recall your party to you then reattack; working your way up the numbers and then targeting the boss.

For a much easier and quicker win, play as Melia. Load her up with Electric Attack+ and Ether Damage+ gems and level up her Summon Bolt and Summon Copy arts as much as possible. Then just summon bolt, Summon Copy, release both against the main boss for massive damage, repeat until you win. Use Mindblast and Burst End if you get the chance. I think this boss is immune to being toppled so Spear Break Starlight Kick combo won't work.

And yeah, you don't really need Sharla, but if you want to use her for this fight, load her up with Ether bullet attacks. Melia Riki Sharla works well. Hope this helps!

Get rid of Sharla, pick anyone else. Or control Sharla yourself if you must.

And VegiHam

Thanks for the tips. The only reason I use Sharla is so I can last longer. I tried without her (Shulk, Melia and Riki) or my normal "brute force team consisting of: Shulk , Dunban and Reyn. The thing is, it have a good set up and this team has gotten me the farthest, but like Is said, it's about the AI not filling out their role. Despite Sharla having only healing abilities, she will still attack. Even when I took control of Sharla, Riki doesn't play smart with his AoE attacks. I can't stand the AI in this game. It's why I brute forced my way through everything and relied on Team Gauge for revives.
Fake edit: apparently using one o the ZR actions makes the AI perform different actions. Is this true?

mrmickfran

**4 months later**

It's absolutely necessary that you take control of Melia. She wrecks that boss.

Also,
YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR INSOLENCE!!!

VegiHam

Fake edit: apparently using one o the ZR actions makes the AI perform different actions. Is this true?

Yeah, this is basically mandatory. You need to use the skill to summon your team to where you are to make them stay out of the lava, and the one to focus attacks to target specific enemies. Otherwise they'll run into the lava to attack things they can't hurt.

XiaNaphryz

It's explained in a tutorial pretty early on...have you not been using the commands to get your party to follow you when needed all this time?

It's absolutely necessary that you take control of Melia. She wrecks that boss.

Also,
YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR INSOLENCE!!!

Yeah, if you ever use Melia in your party, you need to have her as main - the AI can't utilize her effectively. Load her up with ether up and elec plus gems and try to max those buffs up. She's pretty much the burst damage queen out of the entire group.

With the right links you can even get her heavy armor to be able to take a bit more damage. Not really worth it IMO until you can get some of the late game heavy armor with the right gems that suit her.

Just bought the game, loving it, but I don't like the way quests are handled. The whole "find people around different parts of the city at different times of day" is a nice concept, but horrible in execution. If I do a sidequest, I want to be able to find that person again easily if I have to return their shit. Argh! Other than that, I like the game a lot.

jorgejjvr

Just bought the game, loving it, but I don't like the way quests are handled. The whole "find people around different parts of the city at different times of day" is a nice concept, but horrible in execution. If I do a sidequest, I want to be able to find that person again easily if I have to return their shit. Argh! Other than that, I like the game a lot.
When you complete a quest you simply complete it, you don't have to go back to the person that gave you the quest

How far are you?

Xbro

When you complete a quest you simply completed, you don't have to go back to the person that gave you the quest

How far are you?

Also you can set the clock.

When you complete a quest you simply complete it, you don't have to go back to the person that gave you the quest

How far are you?
Very early. Some aren't like that. Like fixing that kids pendant for his mom. You have to find a certain guy at the military base, then find the kids again to give him back his pendant.

That's right! You can change the clock to whatever time you want at any time. You can also skip to any location at any time if you've already been there.
how do you change the time?

XiaNaphryz

That's right! You can change the clock to whatever time you want at any time. You can also skip to any location at any time if you've already been there.

And don't forget to fast-travel BETWEEN areas (i.e. Colony 9 and Tephra Cave) you need to go to the map from the menu bar. Just quickly going to the map with the button shortcut just lets you fast travel in your current area.

jorgejjvr

Playing this game and experiencing it everything all over again.... This game is too good, I wish everyone got to experience it

Simply one of the best games of all times

Mister Wolf

**4 months later**

That boss made me scream out. I had that boss poisoned and Shulk died and as i screamed in anger the poison killed boss and it triggered the cutscene. It was the most challenging experience I've had in a long time.

I ended up winning in the end. I was just using the same team and hoped and that I would eventually win. The RNG gods looked down upon me and granted Sharla with actual smarts for once.

That boss made me scream out. I had that boss poisoned and Shulk died and as i screamed in anger the poison killed boss and it triggered the cutscene. It was the most challenging experience I've had in a long time.

The problem ia that it isn't. Fair challenge. Having terrible uncooperative AI that doesn't function as the game is intended isn't difficult for the right reasons. I have a good and smart team, the right gem load out and at a leel that I should be OK, but I simply couldn't get Sharla to work. It honesty is some of the worst/laziest AI I've ever come across. If anything though, it's the only major negative with the game.
Funnily enough though, I love Riki even more. Dude is incredibly good!

I ended up winning in the end. I was just using the same team and hoped and that I would eventually win. The RNG gods looked down upon me and granted Sharla with actual smarts for once.

The problem ia that it isn't. Fair challenge. Having terrible uncooperative AI that doesn't function as the game is intended isn't difficult for the right reasons. I have a good and smart team, the right gem load out and at a leel that I should be OK, but I simply couldn't get Sharla to work. It honesty is some of the worst/laziest AI I've ever come across. If anything though, it's the only major negative with the game.
Funnily enough though, I love Riki even more. Dude is incredibly good!

For the most part, Sharla is a trap. There's usually a better option for both healing and getting through battles.

You're right though, Sharla doesn't have the best AI, which is another solid reason to use her less.

For the most part, Sharla is a trap. There's usually a better option for both healing and getting through battles.

You're right though, Sharla doesn't have the best AI, which is another solid reason to use her less.

True but I needed a healer. I felt completely open without those little heal bits coming in.

Also, I completed it.
105 hours, nearly every day for the last 4 months and I finally beat it. Awesome game. Not one of the best JRPGs but it's definitely up there. It's a very memorable game that'll stick with me.
Did not expect that ending though. It actually made me look at the lore and world of Xenoblade in a completely different way.
Does any of this tie into Xenoblade X?

XiaNaphryz

but I simply couldn't get Sharla to work. It honesty is some of the worst/laziest AI I've ever come across. If anything though, it's the only major negative with the game.

Melia's AI is even worse.

True but I needed a healer. I felt completely open without those little heal bits coming in.

You really don't if you can inflict damage fast enough.

And if you have Riki in your party anyway, he can actually provide decent healing if you have that skill equipped.

This is super random, but can someone help me out? I played this game on 3DS at launch - got like 5 hours in, I'm at Bionis' Leg (open field area). I haven't played in a couple months and I'm trying to get back into it.

I'm getting my ass kicked by random mobs. I'm level 15 and mobs are like 13-14. I basically forgot how to play the game - I'm just using Shulk and using my attacks (the backstab attack and the side attack). I don't really remember much of the mechanics. Help? I can provide more info about where I'm at.

TheMoon

This is super random, but can someone help me out? I played this game on 3DS at launch - got like 5 hours in, I'm at Bionis' Leg (open field area). I haven't played in a couple months and I'm trying to get back into it.

I'm getting my ass kicked by random mobs. I'm level 15 and mobs are like 13-14. I basically forgot how to play the game - I'm just using Shulk and using my attacks (the backstab attack and the side attack). I don't really remember much of the mechanics. Help? I can provide more info about where I'm at.

You don't remember that you can re-read ALL the pop-up tutorials in the menu either? Make sure to do that. Reading what your attacks do and generally reading the stuff in the game should be a good start.

You really shouldn't have problems with enemies that are a level below you even. Fight some even lower level ones to practice what your stuff does.

omg_mjd

Got myself a New 3DSXL yesterday and picked up Xenoblade 3D as well. Going in pretty much blind since I don't have any experience with the original Wii game either.

So far I'm disappointed with the muddy graphics but the framerate makes up for that, as does having an open world to roam around in. Really looking forward to exploring the place. And the affinity system seems interesting too.

TheMoon

Got myself a New 3DSXL yesterday and picked up Xenoblade 3D as well. Going in pretty much blind since I don't have any experience with the original Wii game either.

So far I'm disappointed with the muddy graphics but the framerate makes up for that, as does having an open world to roam around in. Really looking forward to exploring the place. And the affinity system seems interesting too.

lots of beginner tips in the OP btw. or pointers to places where you can dig deeper into some stuff.

Top Bottom