• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS+ users are getting a potential GOTY candidate next week...

Jokes on you. Indie games can't be GOTY. And before you flame me, this is my opinion, and I'm entitles it.

Also, it looks like ricochet, the old HL mod.

Not flaming you, but any game can be game of the year. The only annual award an indie game wouldn't be up for is "non-indie game of the year," which thankfully doesn't exist (I think? I hope).

Games are games. AAA, indie, mobile, doesn't matter.

Shovel Knight was GotY 2014 <3

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Again, past the inevitable and sadly clichéd personal attacks and post history detective posts, I simply think that it is a terrible idea to continue the trend of hyping games before they actually launch. Throwing around GOTY hyperbole isn't helpful and only further degrades the forum and the discourse it fosters until we are left with nothing but an echo chamber.

Why not put it that way in the first place and not the drivel you posted?

Again, past the inevitable and sadly clichéd personal attacks and post history detective posts, I simply think that it is a terrible idea to continue the trend of hyping games before they actually launch. Throwing around GOTY hyperbole isn't helpful and only further degrades the forum and the discourse it fosters until we are left with nothing but an echo chamber.

If we took GOTY out of the title would you be OK with it then?

The hype is justified because we HAVE played the game in near finished form and it was fucking glorious. We are very close to getting the full game and people like me are very excited.

Aye boss,
I'm just here to talk about games.

Let's not worry about the "degradation of the forums integrity by becoming an echo chamber of hyperbole."

Not flaming you, but any game can be game of the year. The only annual award an indie game wouldn't be up for is "non-indie game of the year," which thankfully doesn't exist (I think? I hope).

Games are games. AAA, indie, mobile, doesn't matter.

Shovel Knight was GotY 2014 <3
Just to try to ignore him. He infected the PS+ thread with his brand of idiocy, so please don't feed him any oxygen.

Petrae

looks fun but I have always sucked at racing and soccer games, that's why I ain't so excited.

I played the PS3 predecessor and was totally underwhelmed, so I'm not at all interested in a sequel. Good for those excited for the game, though.

I played the beta and it was fun for 20 minutes but GOTY? c'mon. Its fun with friends, pretty boring solo.

And since I don't play multiplayer, well, that last part is damning.

(And for the record I would put my Kickstarter backer history, psn account, and steam account up against just about anyone in this thread in terms of supporting indie games. I just think that these kind of hype threads are slowly choking this forum)

No thanks. Sounds like an awful fucking forum where a thread like this isn't allowed.

Here's the problem: you didn't read the first post. If you had read the first post, you would've figured out that I have played the game, since, you know, I stated that. You also would've seen that I wrote multiple qualifiers that the game isn't out yet, and thus could still be buggy, could still have anemic features, etc. Hell, I even said it could potentially be a GOTY candidate in the thread title, not that it would be.

But you didn't read any of that. Instead you decided to shit up the thread, bitching that I'm blindly propping up the game without ever having played it.

So I'm left here wondering why I should give a shit about what you have to say?

(that's a rhetorical question)

Back to the fun. Check out this video of a guy I played against in the beta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVmqssa5v4

He is... a lot better than me.

Joni

I once started the original on a gaming night with friends around 7PM. We were intrigued by the name and needed to kill some time before the food got there. We stopped playing the game - outside the food break of course - at 1AM. So I'm not skipping Rocket League.

(And for the record I would put my Kickstarter backer history, psn account, and steam account up against just about anyone in this thread in terms of supporting indie games. I just think that these kind of hype threads are slowly choking this forum)

The hype is built around people who have played the game. we have 6 days before we can play it so all we could do it be excited in anticipation. This thread was a response to people in the PS+ thread that had no idea what this game was about many of whom had negative feelings. It's just to inform them there is fun to be had and it's worth a try. If the game ends up sucking the OT will see to that being known. I think this forum will survive.

gblues

Banned
For long-time PS3 subs, the original game ("Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars") was free on PS+ a long-ass time ago. It was like a few months before IGC became a thing.

haikira

What's the story about people always bringing up Knack when plus games are mentioned. Is there some joke I'm not getting?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What's the story about people always bringing up Knack when plus games are mentioned. Is there some joke I'm not getting?

Some people only view retail games as worthy of being on PS+ and Knack is one that everyone always expects to appear first.

The hype is built around people who have played the game. we have 6 days before we can play it so all we could do it be excited in anticipation. This thread was a response to people in the PS+ thread that had no idea what this game was about many of whom had negative feelings. It's just to inform them there is fun to be had and it's worth a try. If the game ends up sucking the OT will see to that being known. I think this forum will survive.
Damn right! It would really blow if the title suffers from game-breaking lag or something similar, but overall the two betas were incredibly smooth, so it's looking good.

The beta had a matchmaking system that allowed you to select different server locations (US West, US East, Europe, etc) and the types of games you were willing to play (2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc).

Once you've selected everything, it starts looking for a match with the best possible parameters (ie a 3v3 game in the same region of servers that you're located, with players of similar skill level)... the longer it can't find a match, the more those parameters widened.

Thus the only times I got noticeably hit with lag was when I was playing on a European server late at night. And even then, it was still playable.

So of course something bad could've happened between then and now, and something bad could happen on launch. There's always a chance of that happening, and there's no way Rocket League players on GAF won't let people know if that's the case.

But I'm optimistic about this game. It's a nice state of mind :)

How's the music though?
In my opinion, it's ridiculous, pretty dumb, and a little funny, in that order.

I'm not going to flame you. I'm just curious why you think an indie game can't be a GOTY contender?

because he's an idiot

Lol @ all the indie bros getting butt hurt that people might actually NOT like indie "art pieces." Getting pissed at me is equivalent to getting pissed at someone who doesn't like indie art films. Gimme a break. I only have so much time to game, I'm not going to waste it on indie games. I want big budget good, real games.

Good point, forgot about drive club. I will play that. /sub uncancelled

Purest 78

I hope the OP didn't discolate a shoulder while relating a game that isn't even out yet. I honestly cannot believe that this level of blind fanboyism is somehow deemed to be suddenly be OK.

I have no idea if the game is going to be or not,and I honestly hope it is, but this thread is some Gamefaqs level of bullshit.

I Played plenty of hours in the beta as others have and it's great. So just stop with the calling someone a fanboy shit posting.

Bahlor

I would rather play Knack than an Indie.

One of the worst comments I ever read... indie games are not even a genre, art style or whatever... there are small 2d indie projects and big triple A like indies... also Knack wasn't as bad as said by many reviewers. Sure it wasn't the best game but it was alright. Liked playing it with my son.

You should try a game before judging just because there is no publisher behind it doesn't make a game bad Oo But well, guess you're also not playing Kingdom Come when it comes out.

Your loss I guess, seriously... this game is not easy to explain to someone that didn't play it, but as soon as you played 1-2 rounds, its pure gold and so much fun... played the beta for hours... the whole night. sogood.gif

meanspartan

This looks like a game I'll play for a couple hours, love, but then get bored of. And that's fine, that would be more time than I've put into most games on Ps4 plus.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I hope the OP didn't discolate a shoulder while relating a game that isn't even out yet. I honestly cannot believe that this level of blind fanboyism is somehow deemed to be suddenly be OK.

I have no idea if the game is going to be or not,and I honestly hope it is, but this thread is some Gamefaqs level of bullshit.
I wouldn't say that's the case here, but it's definitely something that's becoming more and more prevalent around here. Those face off threads in particular seem to bring it out of a lot of people.

ppor

LhcpprB.gif

Do you have to manually set up that shot with the car, or is that just aim assist?

EDIT: looks like your teammate passes you the ball and it gets magnetized to your car

Top Bottom