• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Django Unchained probably has the best (western) soundtrack ever made, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm a huge Tarantino and Western fan and I think Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight are his best films (yeah, I know but I'm serious)...but the soundtrack in Django is something special. This movie is underrated as hell.

There's Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith. 2Pac (lol), Riz Ortolani and even a song from an old Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movie.

The diversity is fucking amazing.

Here's the OST

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLcpBBg8UA1Oxz7973OVcCzyBR-caH7hCQ&params=OAFIAVgB&v=OhlVBpEnjig&mode=NORMAL

Anyone else love this soundtrack?

I mean...Tarantino always has great songs in his films but this is definitely his best. The hateful eight was great too but that's an original score (for the most part).

Edit: Which song do you love the most (or scene)?

hawk2025

I love it so much.

Too bad the vinyl is SO expensive. I'm still looking at finding a reasonably priced copy at some point.

Yeah, definitely my GOAT soundtrack. La Corsa leading into
Django shooting John Brittle
has to be among my favourite moments in film. Just an all around amazing sound track, and so well used in the film.

So a soundtrack with one original piece by Ennio Morricone

-vs-

Multiple western film scores in their entirety, at least two of which are considered to be some of the best film scores ever written, by the same man?

Nah.

Nah, Django Unchained probably does not have the best western soundtrack of all time.

It's not even better than Hateful Eight.

-vs-

Multiple western film scores in their entirety, at least two of which are considered to be some of the best film scores ever written, by the same man?

Nah.

Nah, Django Unchained probably does not have the best western soundtrack of all time.

While Django is not the best western soundtrack ever made, your argument is flawed as it states that a soundtrack made up of already-created pieces can not be good or great. That's not true. It's not what you take. It's where you take it.

That said Once Upon a Time in the West, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The Big Gundown, The Mercenary, My Name Is Nobody, and Duck, You Sucker are the greatest western soundtracks ever composed.

But...someone putting Riz Ortolani, Ennio Morricone, and Luis Bacalov into the same western soundtrack is an incredible love letter to the entire genre, and that makes this a great soundtrack. BUT...truth be told, the credit could probably go to the movies the tracks came from in the first place: Day of Anger and Django.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah, I know what you mean but this is Morricone and Morricone is in "Django Unchained" :p

What I tried to say: Django Unchained has one of the most beautiful and unique soundtracks ever. It's modern and classic at the same time. It's sad and beautiful. It contains some of the best composers ever.

Right, but the Morricone OST for TGTBTU is godlike. The one track he did for Django is very good but it's not the same.

TGTBU is nearly 50 years old and tons of people who have never heard of that movie know the song I posted.

While Django is not the best western soundtrack ever made, your argument is flawed as it states that a soundtrack made up of already-created pieces can not be good or great.

That's not at all the argument. It's that one piece of new Morricone and some other stuff (some of which is pretty good, some of which isn't) doesn't compare with whole SCORES of Morricone at the top of his game.

And you agree with me anyway so what the fuck

Right, but the Morricone OST for TGTBTU is godlike. The one track he did for Django is very good but it's not the same.

TGTBU is nearly 50 years old and tons of people who have never heard of that movie know the song I posted.

Yeah I know. Maybe I've should put it in the first post but I grew up with the old Sergio Leone movies (I'm not that old but my parents made me watch them .....lol). Ennio Morricone probably is the best movie composer of all time (and I love his work in The Hateful Eight) but Django Unchained combines both generations. And it fits perfectly....the ending song (Bud Spancer/ Terrence Hill...I don't know what the movie is called in english) ....it's such a great scene...wow.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

-vs-

Nah.

#teambobby

That's not at all the argument. It's that one piece of new Morricone and some other stuff (some of which is pretty good, some of which isn't) doesn't compare with whole SCORES of Morricone at the top of his game.

And you agree with me anyway so what the fuck

Ah, I misunderstood because you put the soundtrack so low as to be below The Hateful Eight, and I inferred from that that the reason wasn't so much a matter of quality alone as it also was a matter of originality. The Hateful Eight has a great score, but it's not close to one of Morricone's best, and I'd definitely argue putting Bacalov, Ortolani, and Morricone together in the soundtrack of a wide-release homage picture is a bigger, more appreciable accomplishment than mixing together new Morricone pieces with The Thing soundtrack, even if that produced a neat score.

I don't know about you, but I didn't get to hear those composers on a modern movie in the theater, their tracks blaring in the auditorium, until I went and saw Django. I'm thankful to the movie and the soundtrack for that, even if it's essentially a really good mixtape.

But yeah, I misunderstood your point.

SliChillax

I still don't think Rick Ross should have had a song in the movie, felt really out of place as much as I enjoy his music.

atr0cious

I still don't think Rick Ross should have had a song in the movie, felt really out of place as much as I enjoy his music.

Thematically its perfect, have a song that represents modern slavery(the rap/music industry and its regurgitating factory of shit, which Rick Ross was once the pinnacle of) but the song is really bad.

xandaca

Once Upon A Time In The West by such a long distance - not only the beauty, depth and power of the score, but how it's used in the film as well - it's ridiculous. Greatest score ever recorded, bar none and with no hyperbole.

@ The Hateful Eight: Regan's theme is amazing and it should have been a whole 3-minute-scene while playing this song.

And "The four passengers" is a great piece of music by Morricone...man...I love The Hateful Eight.
But I still think the OST of Django Unchained is one of the best ever.

I don't know about you, but I didn't get to hear those composers on a modern movie in the theater, their tracks blaring in the auditorium, until I went and saw Django. I'm thankful to the movie and the soundtrack for that, even if it's essentially a really good mixtape.

But yeah, I misunderstood your point.

Yeah, it's a really good mixtape. Tarantino's really good at making those (both cinematically and sonically), and I do like Django's soundtrack quite a bit - that it got you hunting up great composers is added awesome.

@ The Hateful Eight: Regan's theme is amazing and it should have been a whole 3-minute-scene while playing this song.

And "The four passengers" is a great piece of music by Morricone...man...I love The Hateful Eight.
But I still think the OST of Django Unchained is one of the best ever.

Regans theme was amazing, was blown away to find out it was from the exorcist sequel.

Strax

The hate for the Rick Ross song in the soundtraack in this thread shows ignorance for themes in movies.

Rap can't be in Westerns

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

SMH

jblank83

Django Unchained probably has the best (western) soundtrack ever made, right?

Clint+Eastwood+Eli+Wallach+The+Good,+the+bad+and+the+Ugly+Eyes+Wide+Fear+Nonverbal+Communication+Expert+Body+Language+Expert+Speaker+Keynote+Consultant+Las+Vegas+Los+Angeles+Orlando+New+York+City.png

Django soundtrack is pretty great though.

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly is the best.

Once Upon a Time in the West has some pretty odd tracks...the man with the harmonica theme is pretty awesome, except for the 3 notes of incessant wailing. Cheyenne's theme is overly...goofy.

Ecstasy of Gold is better than all the songs in OUATITW put together.

Yeah, it's a really good mixtape. Tarantino's really good at making those (both cinematically and sonically), and I do like Django's soundtrack quite a bit - that it got you hunting up great composers is added awesome.
I mean, I knew those composers for a long time since I've watched Italian cinema since I was a kid, and spaghetti westerns are my favorite film genre, but I had never heard them in the theater, and that's a big difference.

Also, I liked 100 Black Coffins because it called to mind the famous line from Fistful of Dollars and Yojimbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom