• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Django Unchained probably has the best (western) soundtrack ever made, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStep

Just separate "Score" (which Django has elements of) and "Soundtrack" (which is what the thread is titled and which most if not all of the other westerns mentioned don't have) and call it a day.

Django's soundtrack, full of all kinds of music that fits together amazingly somehow, probably blows away all other western soundtracks.

bengraven

Just separate "Score" (which Django has elements of) and "Soundtrack" (which is what the thread is titled and which most if not all of the other westerns mentioned don't have) and call it a day.

Django's soundtrack, full of all kinds of music that fits together amazingly somehow, probably blows away all other western soundtracks.

By your definition, not many westerns have "soundtracks".

Django has a great movie soundtrack, but it's far from the best movie scores ever. Because it's actual score is stolen from other films for the most part...films with much better scores.

Nah, score and soundtrack are often interchangeable, and used as such not just by the people selling the music, but the people making it (and paying for someone to make it) as well.

tumblr_lasmpzzeeo1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7syYdo2SEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BQKFs3-VM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHe07HT5NQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwIJiSXgYjQ

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/oFB2OVF.gif&v=u5IpN3grKDI

RedStep

Nah, score and soundtrack are often interchangeable, and used as such not just by the people selling the music, but the people making it (and paying for someone to make it) as well.

Disagree, especially when people are only using specifically-composed scores to put up against a movie that completely intentionally and almost exclusively uses classic and anachronistic music for effect. The first one will always beat the second if you call it even playing ground.

First result on Google:

Googs said:
The original score is mostly instrumental music that was composed for the film; the soundtrack is a collection of popular music that influences the film or is featured within it.

The Wedding Singer has a soundtrack, A Fistful of Dollars has a score, and Batman has both. They're not interchangeable.

Though I agree that there isn't much direct competition in the genre... I'd say Django stands in the upper tier of soundtracks in general.

Disagree,

I mean, you can disagree, but you're wrong.

I've got stacks of vinyl with nothing but score cues on them that have the word "soundtrack" printed all over their covers.

The delineation isn't necessarily wrong, but it's also a little more recent, and isn't widely accepted enough to discard the previous standard.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is the GOAT.

For a Few Dollars More has a slightly better theme song IMO (mostly because how it builds on the ideas in Fistfull) ...but TGTB&TU has an awesome theme song PLUS "Ecstasy of Gold," (probably the greatest single piece of music ever written for a western) PLUS the awesome Showdown music. Just an incredible achievement.

I don't really need to go into how awesome "Ecstasy of Gold" is. But the Showdown music is sooooo underrated. I mean, part of the intrumentation in that song is somebody kicking a guitar amp, making the reverb tank springs go crazy, and it somehow sounds completely at home in a western movie scene...It's off-the-wall, unexpected BRILLIANCE. Plus, in the middle of it, they just stop, and let the scene breathe for like 15 seconds, before the score picks up again and goes into the stratosphere.

https://youtu.be/J0BrdMi-oyc

Lucumo

That said Once Upon a Time in the West, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The Big Gundown, The Mercenary, My Name Is Nobody, and Duck, You Sucker are the greatest western soundtracks ever composed.

I doubt anyone can disagree with that.

Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite though.

eso76

The opening in the hateful eight was just amazing.
Simple, yet so powerful and thanks to the music for the most part.
The movie didn't live up to that, but man that shot is unforgettable.

RedStep

I mean, you can disagree, but you're wrong.

I've got stacks of vinyl with nothing but score cues on them that have the word "soundtrack" printed all over their covers.

The delineation isn't necessarily wrong, but it's also a little more recent, and isn't widely accepted enough to discard the previous standard.

And I know you're intelligent enough to know the difference, so using "lots of other people mix them up!" as your argument doesn't hold water. I knew the difference in 1989 when I bought the Elfman and Prince albums for Batman.

The OP even calls it out as a collection of songs in direct contrast to The Hateful Eight with a (mostly) original score. So yeah, that apple is better than this orange. Such a rush to call out a thread backfire when the intent was clear.

And I know you're intelligent enough to know the difference, so using "lots of other people mix them up!" as your argument doesn't hold water.

My argument isn't "other people mix them up" it's that the delineation isn't all that necessary or even widely adopted by not just consumers, but PRODUCERS. Directors often talk about getting so and so to "do the soundtrack," for example.

Django doesn't have the best soundtrack ever made, and OP cops to it later by essentially admitting the question was a dumb way to make the statement "I really like this soundtrack," which could have been said without having to phrase it as a question at all, much less a question that's so easily answered with a no. So this entire back 'n' forth we're doing is largely beside the point anyway.

Scores can be soundtracks. Soundtracks can be scores. The word "original" is more important in "Original Score" than the word "Score" is, as even pre-existing music is still musical score.

And all of it is considered soundtrack because it's literally part of the film's soundtrack.

I mean, so far as my intelligence goes, it's not like my argument is a google search cut 'n' paste.

As a whole, Once Upon a Time in the West has the greatest score to a western, as many others in here feel.

But, as one of the first responses pointed out, The Good the Bad and the Ugly has probably the most famous and recognizable pieces of film music in it.

Morricone and Leone were a heavenly match.

I really like the 2pac and rick ross stuff in django

But the best non-Morricone western soundtrack by far for me is nick cave's ost for assassination of jesse James

RedStep

My argument isn't "other people mix them up" it's that the delineation isn't all that necessary or even widely adopted by not just consumers, but PRODUCERS. Directors often talk about getting so and so to "do the soundtrack," for example.

Django doesn't have the best soundtrack ever made, and OP cops to it later by essentially admitting the question was a dumb way to make the statement "I really like this soundtrack," which could have been said without having to phrase it as a question at all, much less a question that's so easily answered with a no. So this entire back 'n' forth we're doing is largely beside the point anyway.

Scores can be soundtracks. Soundtracks can be scores. The word "original" is more important in "Original Score" than the word "Score" is, as even pre-existing music is still musical score.

And all of it is considered soundtrack because it's literally part of the film's soundtrack.

I mean, so far as my intelligence goes, it's not like my argument is a google search cut 'n' paste.

And mine was that the OP meant one thing and everybody piles on with "duh, Ennio Morricone's better". Of course, one is a mixtape and one is immaculately cut from whole cloth. Totally different intentions and output.

But again, it's apples and oranges, we all know that, we know what he was saying, pretending not to in order to prove him wrong is a little disingenuous. I was just pointing out that the dude's not a complete imbecile and there's a little more nuance to the discussion.

we know what he was saying,.

No, we don't. In fact it seems pretty clear he's one of the people I'm talking about that basically uses "score" and "soundtrack" interchangeably, and was doing so when he started the thread.

He doesn't have to be a "complete imbecile" to have not made the distinction.

It was a dumb question that didn't need to be asked in order to start a thread admiring a good soundtrack. That's why it backfired. There's no disingenuousness involved at all.

Linsies

Best Westerns all have soundtracks? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Anyway, I was just telling my husband how much I love this soundtrack. You can remember and feel every moment from the movie when listening. I love when a movie has a soundtrack or score (or both), where the music can make you feel something even when you are not watching the movie.

No, we don't. In fact it seems pretty clear he's one of the people I'm talking about that basically uses "score" and "soundtrack" interchangeably, and was doing so when he started the thread.

He doesn't have to be a "complete imbecile" to have not made the distinction.

I feel like you are arguing just to argue.

OP, I love the Django soundtrack and it's fabulous.

Glass Rebel

Bruh, "Freedom" gives me goosebumps and got me legit teary eyed every time I hear it. I can't lose my composure like this in public.

Agreed.

But shhhhhh... don't tell anyone. You may no longer be cool around here.

The fuck?

Who is saying this isn't a good soundtrack? Who was shit-talking Freedom?

That it's not "The greatest western soundtrack of all time" doesn't mean it's not still good.

What are you doing

Linsies

The fuck?

Who is saying this isn't a good soundtrack? Who was shit-talking Freedom?

That it's not "The greatest western soundtrack of all time" doesn't mean it's not still good.

What are you doing

Honestly? Probably lashing out because this place continues to go downhill. As a woman, who makes up a small portion of this community; I feel like everything is a dick measuring contest. We get it, you are cultured and smart and everything else. A lot of people on NG are just unnecessarily rude and think they know everything.

You arguing about if the guy knew the difference between a score and a soundtrack is stupid. I am honestly sure he meant "soundtrack" as in the term we use for a collection of songs on a movie. I am not certain he was including scores because he specifically used soundtrack. But, go ahead and fight back and forth about it.

You arguing about if the guy knew the difference between a score and a soudntrack is stupid. I am honestly sure he meant "soundtrack" as in the term we use for a collection of songs on a movie. I am not certain he was including scores because he specifically used soundtrack. But, go ahead and fight back and forth about it.

I wasn't even fighting the shit, really. It's dumb pedantry and I pointed it out myself. I'm explaining why a bad argument directly addressed at me doesn't work. And if people are going to directly address me (or even passive-aggressively address me like you just lamely did) I'm going to directly respond because that's how fucking talking works.

Jesus.

Your sideways shot about how people might be considered uncool by uncool people (me) up at fucking 1am on a Friday (me again) talking about Tarantino Soundtracks with strangers on a gaming forum (me thrice)? For the "crime" of liking cool songs that happen to not be on "The greatest western soundtrack of all time?" Shit is ridiculous. I have no idea how you got there. Hell, if anything, I'm giving OP more credit than his defender was just doing, as I wasn't the one suggesting someone has to be a "complete imbecile" to conflate the two terms, or that someone has to be of lesser intelligence to use one over the other.

If this is a dick measuring contest it's a couple pencil erasers pissing on their own balls. So it's probably not actually a dick measuring contest, Linsies. It's just bullshitting.

Linsies

I wasn't even fighting the shit, really. It's dumb pedantry and I pointed it out myself. I'm explaining why a bad argument directly addressed at me doesn't work. And if people are going to directly address me (or even passive-aggressively address me like you just lamely did) I'm going to directly respond because that's how fucking talking works.

Jesus.

Your sideways shot about how people might be considered uncool by uncool people (me) up at fucking 1am on a Friday (me again) talking about Tarantino Soundtracks with strangers on a gaming forum (me thrice)? For the "crime" of liking cool songs that happen to not be on "The greatest western soundtrack of all time?" Shit is ridiculous. I have no idea how you got there.

If this is a dick measuring contest it's a couple pencil erasers pissing on their own balls.

I got here by liking video games, having kids and being home on weekends unless I have specific plans.

Give me a break, I've seen your posts around here and you seem to bully people into just agreeing with you. The fact that you decided that you had to prove OP was wrong just says everything about you.

Anyway, You can PM me. Let's not derail.

nOoblet16

Okay, I'm a huge Tarantino and Western fan and I think Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight are his best films (yeah, I know but I'm serious)...but the soundtrack in Django is something special. This movie is underrated as hell.

There's Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith. 2Pac (lol), Riz Ortolani and even a song from an old Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movie.

The diversity is fucking amazing.

Here's the OST

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLcpBBg8UA1Oxz7973OVcCzyBR-caH7hCQ&params=OAFIAVgB&v=OhlVBpEnjig&mode=NORMAL

Anyone else love this soundtrack?

I mean...Tarantino always has great songs in his films but this is definitely his best. The hateful eight was great too but that's an original score (for the most part).

Edit: Which song do you love the most (or scene)?
Technically it isn't an OST from Django Unchained since it's not original :p

dan2026

The scene where 'I Got a Name' starts playing when they ride off into the distance, gives me chills everytime I see it.

Django Unchained definitely has a good soundtrack, and it's probably one of the most diverse soundtracks in a western, but almost nothing compares to Morricone at his peak.

The hate for the Rick Ross song in the soundtraack in this thread shows ignorance for themes in movies.

Rap can't be in Westerns

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

SMH

I actually really like the Rick Ross song on this soundtrack and I don't even like Rick Ross. It's just dope.

Zombine

Banned
Sorry man...I love Tarantino, but it doesn't even have the best music in the two western's that he made. That goes to Morricone's score in Hateful Eight.

In terms of western scores, the work that Morricone did in For A Few Dollars More was even better. Watch Chimes is a wonderful track:

Ennio Morricone - Watch Chimes

RSLYG

We get it man, you're an expert.

Anyway..
I also enjoy the opening score of The Hateful Eight.
Django Unchained soundtrack kind of a mixed bag for me, some are good, some are ok, some are just kinda annoying.

gotta plug jesse james again. it's so beautiful and melancholy

god
damn

in terms of the ones being mentioned in this thread:

morricone/leone collabs > jesse james > hateful eight (this was more like his work on the thing than his westerns, and it was mad interesting) > ravenous > django.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom