• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 20gig price cut - HDMI HAS BEEN ADDED! (49980 yen) JAPAN ONLY

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
[MOD POWER ABUSE]

Sony PR said:
PLAYSTATION®3 HDD 20GB EQUIPPED WITH HDMI AS STANDARD
Recommended Retail Price of 49,980 Yen (Tax Included) in Japan

Tokyo, September 22, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) with 20GB hard disk drive (HDD) will come equipped with HDMI(*) (Ver 1.3/supporting Deep Color) output as standard with the system. PS3 with 20GB HDD will become available in Japan at a new recommended retail price of 49,980 yen (tax included).

Since SCEI first announced product specifications of PS3 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in May 2005, demand for enjoying full HD quality image and realistic digital sound through HDMI has grown tremendously. Given the sharp increase in availability of flat displays supporting HDMI in the market, SCEI has decided to equip HDMI as standard on all PS3 systems.

SCEI, with strong support from software developers and publishers, will offer a broad lineup of exciting and innovative titles and vigorously promote the PS3 platform.

(*) High-Definition Multimedia Interface

Scoot said:
Actually, SCEA confirmed to me about 10 hours ago that the price of the PS3 in the US would stay the same.

8:22 PST: If you're concerned about the HDMI inclusion in the 20 GIG version of Sony's PS3, SCEA confirmed to 1UP (after hearing Kutaragi at the press conference) that all versions of the PS3 would have HDMI.

SCEA just revealed to 1UP that the price drop in Japan is for that territory ONLY. The pricing structure in the U.S. has not changed.

[/MOD POWER ABUSE]

http://www.famitsu.com/blog/express/
59800 yen -> 49980 yen

edit:
http://www.famitsu.com/blog/express/2006/09/3.html

edit:
7:22: A question on why HDMI only is in the high level version of the PS3 only. Kutaragi explained that if they put the HDMI in the lower version, they were worried that some would complain about having something they don't want. However, HDMI penetration has come faster than expected, Kutaragi says. He asks if people want HDMI in all models. Everyone in the audience say yes. He then confirms that all models, including the 20 gig version, will have an HDMI port.

7:25: Now a question on the price. Kutaragi says the Japanese media and retailers have complained about the cost of the system. He then confirms that the price for the 20 gig model in Japan will, including tax, now be below 50,000 yen ($427). This model will include the HDMI port. He doesn't give the exact price.

All credit goes to some members over at B3d (dodo3 + one)
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=835668&postcount=98
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=835656&postcount=1

whats up vysez? ;p

jaask

"He then confirms that the price for the 20 gig model in Japan will, including tax, now be below 50,000 yen ($427). This model will include the HDMI port. He doesn't give the exact price."

nice

Lee N

Membre
I get it.. they're playing bad price - good price.

First they announce a really high price, then they announce a lower price that's still expensive.. and it'll seem cheap in comparison.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Wow, if true. Please be so. That would be great news for pretty much everyone, well, except those of us who may want a Premium system for whatever reason. Which... That's gonna be quite a divide, now.

Oh well, let's see how this unravels.

jiggle

lol
not big enough news to announce during his speech i guess.

With HDMI added in, the cheaper back is actually worth considering, for me, now.
Everythign else can be upgraded later right?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Megaton

There is no reason for them to announce a drop for America at TGS. We have to wait to see if SCEA follows suit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Awesome, but will the US price be affected?

Well at least now they have HDMI across the board which is nice as everything else about low end model is upgradeable.

If any of this is true...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
excellent news if legitimate -- the 20gig should've had hdmi all along. i wouldn't need the 60gb version anymore.

K_S

Banned
Victory2.JPG

Alex

After the Wii, and the apparent comments from Ken thinking all us folk in America walk around with top hats and monocles, I assume the US price will raise by 100 to make up the difference for Japan.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
So this means the 60gb now has what over the 20gb... memory card adapters and wireless?

Meh, 20GB FTW sounds like to me....

Now if they would just up that distribution % they have for the 20gb model..

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
human5892 said:
WHAT

Are they saying this was announced at the keynote? Because no other site is reporting such a thing...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734010p1.html

7:22: A question on why HDMI only is in the high level version of the PS3 only. Kutaragi explains that sony was worried that if they put the HDMI in the lower version, some would complain about having to pay for something they don't want. However, HDMI penetration has come faster than expected. He then asks people if they want HDMI in all models. Everyone in the audience says yes. He then confirms that all models, including the 20 gig version, will have an HDMI port.
From what we can tell, this is only for Japan.

You'll have to wait for overseas confirmation to see if this applies in your territory as well.

7:25: Now a question on the price. Kutaragi says the Japanese media and retailers have complained about the cost of the system. He then confirms that the price for the 20 gig model in Japan will, including tax, now be below 50,000 yen. This model will include the HDMI port. He doesn't give the exact price.

Top Bottom