• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 20gig price cut - HDMI HAS BEEN ADDED! (49980 yen) JAPAN ONLY

Price cut!?!?!!

Nuke.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why is Ken so ****ing dumb?

He announces this during the Q&A? Were the questions planted by ringers?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
jobber said:
I only mentioned the HDMI cord because most parents who are buying it for their kids don't know about cheap HDMI cords. :p

It's not Sony's fault Americans are, by and large, stupid consumers.

J2 Cool

Ken's like the abusive father - complete with broken promises, retarded lectures, and money to swallow to make it all better.

VALIS

Wait, doesn't Japan have open pricing for the PS3 anyway?

It would be like, "HAY GUYS! PS3 tard pack now only $425 (but you can't buy it anywhere for less than $500)!"

Or no?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Rhazer Fusion said:
Why did I pay $250 for my N64 then? I keep hearing that it was $200, but it was $250 forever in my neighborhood. Anyway, I still don't believe this news. It is pure brilliance and that is why I don't believe it.
You are sadly one of the unfortunate ones who got ripped off. Some retailers left the price at $250, but the MSRP was $199.99.

jobber said:
I only mentioned the HDMI cord because most parents who are buying it for their kids don't know about cheap HDMI cords. :p
If you're a kid whose mom is buying his PS3 for him, chances are you're not going to know what the hell HDMI is, let alone care about buying a cable to make sure you play on it. It's not as if it's a necessary accessory.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
VALIS said:
Wait, doesn't Japan have open pricing for the PS3 anyway?

It would be like, "HAY GUYS! PS3 tard pack now only $425 (but you can't buy it anywhere for less than $500)!"

Or no?

no -- only the 60gb model is "open price"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
so Japan gets HDMI and $427 AFTER taxes, thats about $400
and the US gets no HDMI and $500 before taxes?

thekad

Banned
:lol I really doubt Sony can just drop the price(and add costly features) on a whim. It is expensive for a reason.

I'll take this with a grain of salt for now.

Diablos

The question is, do you think they'll make North America pay $500 and $600 still?
I doubt it... but you never know.

alr1ghtstart said:

It would be stupid to build three different consoles (No HDMI-No WiFi / HDMI - No WiFi / HDMI - Wifi). Then again, IT'S SONY.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
alr1ghtstart said:
It's safe to assume that all models contain HDMI now -- it would be ridiculous and expensive to open a third line of production just to produce a model without it.

You folks do realize that, unlike the US, the 360 and Wii will both be retailing for around (or less) $250 this holiday season in Japan?

That's the reason for this price drop there. They don't want peeps glancing at that Blue Dragon bundle in December.

Shouta

alr1ghtstart said:

If the retail price in Japan is gonna be 50,000 yen, I'm assuming that the US price might go down too. It wouldn't make sense for Sony to package two different 20 gig versions like that. I could be wrong though.

LJ11

DSN2K said:
spend $600 on a games console only to buy a $5 cable plug it into the TV! funny that :lol

Only retards buy $100 HDMI cables, with the notion that they are getting picture quality than the $10 cables.

neptunes

alr1ghtstart said:
Might be the case

but what about 400k vs. 100k?

Maybe America is where the plan to recouperate their losses? :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Diablos said:
The question is, do you think they'll make North America pay $500 and $600 still?
I doubt it... but you never know.

We'll see.

But now the 499 option is completely viable. And it means sony can afford to drop the price quickly if necessary.

WYWY

dynamitejim said:
A $400 20GB HDMI version would be too incredible to be true.
Assuming this is true... it just became cheaper than the Toshiba HD-DVD player, and it even plays games. This is nail in HD-DVD coffin, if true.

Diablos

Yeah 20GB is more than enough for me. My 'media hub' is my PC. I don't think I'll be using my hdd for anything else other than game save data, and maybe some small online games or demos that Sony may offer through their online service someday (if I happen to use that service, I don't even know at this point).

If I ever need a bigger hdd, I'd still be better off getting the $400 PS3, because I can get better deals on bigger than 60GB hdd's on newegg.

Mmmm...if they are willing to lower the price of the PS3 over there...what are the chances of this price cut being applied to NA?? It'd be awesome if Core pack launched at $400 and the premium at $500.

I believe this is misleading.
The source of the information is not credible.
It should not come from a blog, where anybody can post and express their opinion.
We live in america and don't understand sh*t so all the information coming from japan is considered real.

GhaleonEB

acousticvan said:
It should not come from a blog, where anybody can post and express their opinion.
We live in america and don't understand sh*t so all the information coming from japan is considered real.
I'm calling bullshit until a press release hits the wire. It's just a weird way to announce this, with no PR.

neptunes

Yeah, There's a lot we don't know about yet

Like the ps3's online, or official accessories, I suggest we wait
'til launch

I'm so confused.

Crappy press conference, STILL waiting for details about the system... pissed.. but a price drop? Really?

Please, let the premium pack price fall as well.

Mojovonio

Banned
I mean, it would incredible for the tard pack to launch at $450, but Sony is already taking a huge loss and they'll sell out for the first year or so anyways. It just doesn't make sense.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
7:22: A question on why HDMI only is in the high level version of the PS3 only. Kutaragi explains that sony was worried that if they put the HDMI in the lower version, some would complain about having to pay for something they don't want. However, HDMI penetration has come faster than expected. He then asks people if they want HDMI in all models. Everyone in the audience says yes. He then confirms that all models, including the 20 gig version, will have an HDMI port.
He makes it seem like it was magic lol.

KK: "hey guys you want hdmi?"
press: "yeah sure"
KK: "ok done! :)"

acousticvan said:

It's on IGN, dude.

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm calling bullshit until a press release hits the wire. It's just a weird way to announce this, with no PR.

QFT. If true, fantastic... PS3 new price justified, if not... MEH

Top Bottom