• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 20gig price cut - HDMI HAS BEEN ADDED! (49980 yen) JAPAN ONLY

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Mojovonio said:
I think Sony has already taken their fair share of risks.

You don't stay successful(or stay #1) by all of the sudden becoming conservative.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hey wait - if Sony lowers the PS3 core price to $400 in the US, doesn't that mean Nintendo will have to slash the Wii to $200 so they stay exactly half the price of the entry-level PS3?

:lol

3rdman

Rody said:
Me: JS, can you confirm me something? Some websties are claiming that Kutarai confirmed today that even the 20GB model of the PS3 will have an HDMI output. Can you confirm this?

JS: We are trying to confirm that for ourselves at this moment.

Me: Ok.
I'm really skeptical about this and just waiting for the confirmation before start spreading the news.

JS: Right now we are pretty sure it is legit.

Me: Wow. HUGE news. Thanks!

Wow...quite an endorsement to be "pretty sure".

...for Japan only.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Why is Ken so ****ing dumb?

He announces this during the Q&A? Were the questions planted by ringers?

That's my thought as well. No way will someone mention HDMI, and TADA! Ken throws a bone! :lol Riiiight! It's so obvious that was staged to have a shocking effect. HDMI and price cut is a HUGE DEAL! Not only for gamers, but retailers, and especially developers. Think of the money that is now freed up for a game or BluRay movie.

The fact that this price cut is only in Japan suggests two things to me

1) Sony thinks US buyers will get the console no matter what. During the conference, Kutaragi even said that the US doesn't think the price is too high
2) Sony feels threatened on the homefront. By lowering the price, Sony wants to put more pressure on the Wii

J-Rzez

Wow... if the US gets the 20GB model with HDMI priced around that same mark... It is INDEED a crushing blow to MS... expect a quick counter-attack from MS... cause:

Sony PS3 vs. 360
20GB HDD = 20GB HDD
1080p = 1080p
HDMI > Component/DVI
Blu-Ray Player > DVD-9
Online Free > Pay for it...
USB charged controllers > $12 play and charge

$399.99 > $399.99

GreekWolf said:
Get the torches ready.

We don't need a price drop. Our retailers are overjoyed that the 20GB sku is only $500.

$400 aint gonna happen...just look at his wording about North America. But goddamit the HDMI on the tard pack better be a reality....

Shouta

PhoenixDark said:

1) Sony thinks US buyers will get the console no matter what. During the conference, Kutaragi even said that the US doesn't think the price is too high
2) Sony feels threatened on the homefront. By lowering the price, Sony wants to put more pressure on the Wii

That and as Ghaleon points out, it could be to even the playing field in Japan and the US against the Wii. They have the exact same prices in Japan and America now (in the 100 to 1 ratio) and that probably works to their advantage.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Kaijima said:
Hey wait - if Sony lowers the PS3 core price to $400 in the US, doesn't that mean Nintendo will have to slash the Wii to $200 so they stay exactly half the price of the entry-level PS3?

:lol
Everybody wins!

Speevy

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Wow... if the US gets the 20GB model with HDMI priced around that same mark... It is INDEED a crushing blow to MS... expect a quick counter-attack from MS... cause:

Sony PS3 vs. 360
20GB HDD = 20GB HDD
1080p = 1080p
HDMI > Component/DVI
Blu-Ray Player > DVD-9
Online Free > Pay for it...
USB charged controllers > $12 play and charge

$399.99 > $399.99

Except the 360 has been around for a year, and can drop instantly to whatever.

Mojovonio said:
That's a huge ****ing gamble they're willing to take.
Not really. A $399 Core and $499 would all but seal Sony's victory and ensure another 100 million+ sold. Not to mention 100 million+ Blu-Ray owners.

neptunes

Read Read Read

The price in japan was dropped to to satisfy gamers/retailers in japan,
while according to them, we're "OK" with the $499 price tag.

IIRC, wasn't the PSP about $80 cheaper in Japan than US? Something like $170 there, but $250 in the US. In part because you had to buy the "value" pack in the US, while you could just get the PSP in Japan, but also just a higher price, too.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PhoenixDark said:

Totally.

1) There isn't any reason to drop it before launch I guess. Although adding features is always nice.

2) Definitely. Sony has got their back up. Fend off their territory.

Goddamn SDF is back in business.

What are the odds sony planned this entire thing?

JB1981

We are so ****ed. Why in the world would Sony design different hardware for different regions? GAAAAAHHH. I'm so pissed.

Jesus it didn't take long for you guys to run with it. It was pretty clear to me it was Japan-only and why it was needed.

Have fun fighting over those 20,000 PS3 core packs. I'll wait it out back here in reality where I'll still have to pay $499 for it.

Having the HDMI port on the core pack is huge though. So in a sense I have saved $100 from tonight's news. Unless the HDMI-core is Japan-only too, which would be doubly-****ed.

reaver18

neptunes said:
Read Read Read

he's right. such a shame. the new footage looks amazing, but still too much money. :(

1) Interesting move, Sony knows the price is too high
2) US prices shoulf come down by $50. 450 and 550
3) Why get the premium version?
4) Was the PSP not mentioned at all at the conference?
5) the 80/20 split is now horrible
6) US pricedrop in April* 2007. I bet a 1 week ban

*Last week of march to first 10 days of may

PhoenixDark said:

You know, that's very possible. The reason for the PS3 shortage was supposed to be the Blue laser diode, not HDMI. Perhaps, Sony had extra HDMI 1.3 chips, but not consoles left to put them in, so they went back and all the 60gb version they had in mind, put the 20gb onto it.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
neptunes said:
I'M NOT "OK" WITH THE $499 PRICE TAG!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
so, 49980/117 (per US dollar) = $427 after taxes
assuming 7% sales tax that's $29 in taxes.
That's $398 before taxes for the Core
basically Japan gets the PS3 $100 cheaper than us.

:(

J-Rzez

Speevy said:
Except the 360 has been around for a year, and can drop instantly to whatever.

This is why I expect a quick counter by MS... $50-100 off Primo... or, same price, free year of Live, maybe a cheaper HD-DVD add-on, or something... this is going to be crazy...

SCEA... Take ****ing notes... NOW!

If MS doesn't follow suit... wtf... It's like MS and Ninty WANT Sony to spank them with a board with a rusty nail in it again...

GhaleonEB

Reilly said:
I think the core will add the HDMI in the US, but remain at the $500 price.
Isn't HDTV penetration much higher in Japan? It could be that's why they made it standard there, but not the US.

Outdoor Miner said:
You folks do realize that, unlike the US, the 360 and Wii will both be retailing for around (or less) $250 this holiday season in Japan?

That's the reason for this price drop there. They don't want peeps glancing at that Blue Dragon bundle in December.
the 15,000 people (assuming 85/15) who are lucky enough to get the 20gb version?

Xellos

HDMI was the only reason I wasn't considering the cheaper PS3. If it's in, I'm buying one much sooner than expected; might even try to brave the launch madness.

GreekWolf

DarienA said:
The US is NOT happy with these prices dammit!
Yep, seems like we're finally getting a small taste of what Europe has suffered through all these years.

Except that we still get the system in November =P

alr1ghtstart said:
so, 49980/117 (per US dollar) = $427 after taxes
assuming 7% sales tax that's $29 in taxes.
That's $398 before taxes for the Core
basically Japan gets the PS3 $100 cheaper than us.

:(

Its is important as hell to Sony to establish a strong base quickly in Japan to counter the Juggernaut of Nintendo come November....makes perfect sense. ( I am not saying it doesnt suck for the rest of the world)

Top Bottom