• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 20gig price cut - HDMI HAS BEEN ADDED! (49980 yen) JAPAN ONLY

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
WULFER said:
What's stopping Microsoft from announcing a HDMI port will be on the HD-DVD drive addon or a cable/adapter will be packed in with the drive?
The HD-DVD drive doesn't have a video controller. The Xbox 360 is needed for decoding and video output. The Xbox 360 only outputs analog video.

I still need to know more about the Linux capability of the PS3 but for me this is fantastic news. I don't care about the 60 GB HDD and while I do need Wi-Fi the 20 GB version is now a real option for me. It looks better too IMO.

Wulfer

Microsoft said they had the ability to make a HDMI port work. I don't think they would say this without having the ability to back it up. Why would Microsoft corner themselves like that when they clearly have the upper hand right now?

teiresias

WULFER said:
Microsoft said they had the ability to make a HDMI port work. I don't think they would say this without having the ability to back it up. Why would Microsoft corner themselves like that when they clearly have the upper hand right now?

They can make it work, it's called the AV Pack that has a built-in HD-DVD drive and onboard HDMI connector. All the decoding on the current HD-DVD addon is done on the X360, they can't pass that uncompressed video and audio data back over the USB connection to some HDMI connector that would be on the add-on.

Razoric said:
yup im sure... even as we speak they are recalling all the 20gb ps3s that are being boxed up so they can slap a port on it.
What's the breakdown going to be in terms of 20 gig vs. 60 gig units for the US launch?

If you'd asked me last night, I'd have given you a completely different and more concrete answer. It may change now that HDMI has been announced for all PS3 models, or it may not. I will say that after we made our E3 announcements, retailers predominantly opted for the 60 gig model in the US.
yep, sounds like they really have been rolling full speed ahead on those units with statements like that... oh wait, it actually sounds like they haven't even made up their minds yet, much less started...

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
WULFER:

> Microsoft said they had the ability to make a HDMI port work. I don't think they would
> say this without having the ability to back it up.

It's possible to convert the analog component video signal to a digital signal that can be transmitted via HDMI but since the signal was analog to begin with there is no copy protection.

> Why would Microsoft corner themselves like that when they clearly have the upper hand > right now?

You lost me.

Nerevar said:
:lol

couldn't agree more. I see absolutely no extra value in the premium pack now. Those extra components they're adding do not come anywhere near justifying $100.
and they never did... the only reason people most wanted the $599 model was HDMI... and a few people to lazy/dumb to run ethernet...

teiresias

For all we know, the motherboards in the two versions may be exactly the same, and the 20Gig version simply doesn't have the connectors for the flash media populated, and they just leave off the WiFi IC and the antenna. They just have to start populating the proper connectors. Assembly isn't the hard part, fabrication of the various ICs and the diodes are, wouldn't surprise me if final assembly hadn't even started a month ago.

However, whether the premium is still worth the price will depend on HDD prices mainly. It's not a standard sized HDD that the PS3 uses, but a laptop sized one. How expensive are those? It may be worth it just to get the premium depending on those prices - then again, you could use the 20GB and upgrade to a MUCH larger one later rather than pay for a premium for 60GB.

Shawn

Banned
The official US PlayStation website says that the Premium model only has the HDMI port.

:(

Damn, I didn't want to believe it but it sounds like only in Japan will the Core have HDMI output.

lachesis

Shawn said:
The official US PlayStation website says that the Premium model only has the HDMI port.

Damn, I didn't want to believe it but it sounds like only in Japan will the Core have HDMI output.

It was just announced today - give it a couple days. I think there will be official announcement of HDMI on core pack in all regions, and I don't see why not.

But... price cut. I highly doubt there will be any price cut in US - as we are already getting the machine quite cheaper than most other regions.

Jim

Shawn said:

Not to worry. It's worldwide. SCEE and SCEA sent out the press releases right after the keynote, and the reps on hand also confirmed it multiple times during the show. The only thing "Japan only" is the price adjustment for the 20GB version, to more or less bring it inline with other regions.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. today announced that PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) with 20GB hard disk drive (HDD) will come equipped with HDMI(*) (Ver 1.3/supporting Deep Color) output as standard with the system.

The official sites just haven't been updated yet.

Because I can´t start new topics (don´t know why):

Why won't the US price of PS3 be lowered along with the Japanese price?

We started by calculating the price for the US and European territories by looking at what consumers considered the 'magic price points'. In these territories, the prices we announced were very well accepted. We then converted that price to yen without giving consideration to 'magic price points.' The feedback was not supportive, so we lowered the price.

Retailers in the US "vastly prefer" the 60 gigabyte, $599 model, he said. Well, of course they do. They make more money off of more expensive things.

"Well accepted"?? What the f**k. With whom did this guy talk?

http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1561160

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We started by calculating the price for the US and European territories by looking at what consumers considered the 'magic price points'. In these territories, the prices we announced were very well accepted.
HHAAHAHAHAHAAAHA!

****ing wankers.

Acosta

Magic price points!!!!!!!

Sony: "Hey, do you like our magical price of 600 euros and get your system in March?"

European: Yes!, and I will take two pieces of anal rape too. Thanks!

Shesssh. Ok, the system is expensive to make so it must be expensive for consumer, we understand that. Stop spinning what can´t be spinned and let ourselves pay for the system without a feeling of being fooled too.

Top Bottom