• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 20gig price cut - HDMI HAS BEEN ADDED! (49980 yen) JAPAN ONLY

Ghost said:
Have sony announced a wifi adapter addon yet?

I have a feeling the buying the premium PS3 is going to be the equivalent of buying a mac and paying for extra ram through Apple...ie a waste of money.

For me it feels more like low cost airlines. They advertise insane low price tickets and when you buy a ticket you realise that offer limited quantity of tickets at that price. Most consumers associations are fighting that kind of tactic because its misleading since most peple do not pay the advertised price

This also means that the 499 will now be even harder to find and most people will be stuck paying 100$ more for Wifi, card readers and more HD. I dont trust what they said about HDMI. I do not think public perception torwards HDMi has changed that much in 6 monts. It was something wanted back then and as it is now.

At the end this is great news for people interesed in PS3 but i think it is bad news in the long term. Sony is showing no clear direction in their strategy regarding PS3 in the last year.

Edited for clarity.

Kangu

Banned
Starchasing said:
At the end this is great news for people interesed in PS3 but i think it is bad news for investors. Sony is showing no clear direction in their strategy regarding PS3

And at the end of the day that's what neoGAF is all about: the investors!

Bring on the financial reports!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Starchasing said:
At the end this is great news for people interesed in PS3 but i think it is bad news for investors. Sony is showing no clear direction in their strategy regarding PS3

this from making a port standard?

wow.

davepoobond said:
this from making a port standard?

wow.

No, also from delaying their product twice in Europe, once in the rest of the world,launching with 100,000 units in Japan and 400,000 in the US. I edited that in my post.

So how many of these tard packs are actually gonna be available though? Like 100?

20.000 in Japan

80.000 in the US

There will be more demand for this pack so expect them to be even harder to come by.

Aye I don't think we'll see a larger amount of them until enough SKUs get out that more casual folk are easily getting access to them.

good news that the port is standard on both models. it won't let me display 1080p but when i get a ps3 i'll be able to hook it up via one of my two open HDMI inputs and it'll save me swapping video cables or buying a switch.

it doesn't make me more open to getting one earlier, but it is good news and it gives the $499 model a clear advantage over any xbox 360's ability to display 1080p.

i think we can look at the price cut in Japan and put it down to both Microsoft and Nintendo's consoles being cheaper there than they are else where. Sony realised that they had to trim that difference a bit.

just goes back to what i keep saying.

competition is good.

Aske

This is really huge.

No, most of us don't have TVs with HDMI ports right now. Most of us don't even have HD TVs. Of course we'll protest at Dead Rising style text screw ups and insist that next gen games are compatible with SD sets. But I expect to own my next gen games systems a hell of a lot longer than my current TV; and with both HD and HDMI fast becoming standard on new models, and prices at last looking reasonable, there's really no way I won't benefit from HDMI PS3 compatibility in the next couple of years.

People also need to stop downplaying this news based on the launch numbers of each SKU. If you only wanted the premium system for HDMI, you are now saving $100. Unless you're planning to pay whatever it takes to get one on launch day, you will save money. I gave up on the idea of buying a PS3 at launch when the blue laser diode shortage was announced, but as soon as systems become readily available - let's say by March - I'll pick one up; and when consoles are actually on store shelves I expect the 20GB/60GB imbalance to be redressed. No big deal.

It does seem bizarre that they're only dropping prices in Japan though. Presumably this is to counter Wii, but the threat from the 360 in the US is just as significant. More so, since 360 owners have much less to gain from a PS3 purchase than Wii owners do when they pick up one of the more powerful systems. Easier to sell the PS3 to gamers with a Wii; therefore easier to win back Japan after the Wii takes off than to regain ground lost to Microsoft in the US. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I won't be surprised if Sony announces an NA price drop before launch.

dalyr95

Well its good news, they probably realised having two lines for fabbing motherboards was too expensive/stupid and thus the HDMI standard.

Plus with the money they'd make off Blu Ray movies why encourage the perception that the "tard" pack couldn't play full 1080p

So now basicely the only difference between the two versions is the HDD ?
And the wi-fi maybe ?!? (can't remember...)
I'm seriously thinking about a japanese PS3
in 3 or 4 months :)

Koren

Chû Totoro said:
So now basicely the only difference between the two versions is the HDD ?
And the wi-fi maybe ?!? (can't remember...)
HDD, Wifi and card reader... That's not a lot of things to justify a 100$+ difference.

I fail to see any real advantage in the 60Go pack now, in fact.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It'll be interesting if people reluctantly pick up 60GB packs in the absence of 20GB packs, rather than vice versa :lol $499 pack must be the obvious choice at this point.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Koren said:
HDD, Wifi and card reader... That's not a lot of things to justify a 100$+ difference.

I fail to see any real advantage in the 60Go pack now, in fact.

Wifi adapters typically cost $100. I'd say it is worth the extra money.

gofreak said:
It'll be interesting if people reluctantly pick up 60GB packs in the absence of 20GB packs, rather than vice versa :lol $499 pack must be the obvious choice at this point.
i can't see how it couldn't be. i mean, unless wireless is your only choice and there's no standalone wifi adapter or it's $99.99 like microsoft's. then you may as well get the extra HD space.

otherwise, there's no reason to get the cheaper one.

hard drive space? considering we're meant to be able to throw in any sata drive, and considering you can get a decent 250 gig drive for $70 or so, you'd be mad to pay 100 dollars for 40 gigs of HD space.

Tellaerin

Funky Papa said:
I never thought I was going to say this but...

retard pack FTW.

Yeah, with Sony's 'retard pack', you'd have to be retarded not to buy it. :D

I wonder if they'll knock $50 off the price in the US, too? I'm not really expecting it, but it'd put them in a nice position here if they could pull that off.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I have an HDTV with HDMI inputs. This change just saved me $100. Thanks Sony!!

Yes, its still expensive but this is better than nothing.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
WHAT WHAT WHAT!

LTTP time, time for a re-topic!

Now I might actually be upset that I'm missing out on a purchase at launch...but I don't want to sit in line for 10 hours to "hope" I get one, either.

Aske said:
People also need to stop downplaying this news based on the launch numbers of each SKU.

The news only affect 20% of the PS3 units. Those units will probably be the first to fly of the shelves. Therebefore 80% of PS3 buyers are unnafected.

This is not done because of production problems. This is done to alter the price perception of the Ps3 and will continue that way until it reaches a mass market price. Until then they will continue 20/80

It is very important to remark this since it is a very shady practice. It is used also by low cost airlines. They usually advertise very low prices but fail to mention that only a few tickets will be sold at that price. The rest of the tickets will cost more. Thed EU is looking at this practice and it looks like its going to be banned.

Think it as a way to pump you to to buy a PS3. Then you go buy one and more than probably be forced to buy the expensive once.

Yes!

Now i can buy the 500$ version without a :( in my face

Do you understand that those will be almost impossible to buy? Good luck finding a 499 PS3

This absolutely means I'll get a PS3 sooner rather than later as I don't need wireless or direct memory card support.

Now if they'd only flip the production ratio...

Clearly the price cut and inclusion of HDMI on the gimp pack are great. HDMI actually un-gimps it.

The disturbing thing is it seems like Ken is running the show by the seat of his pants right now. He's at a Q&A session and decides to throw HDMI in all the systems now? Oh, and while we're at it, lets cut the price too!

I expect Gamespot to post pictures of that same guy withi his blue jeans rolled up, a pissed off look on his face, as he un-packs all those PS3's to they can add the HDMI to it. Meanwhile, engineers and accountants are begging someone to get Ken to shut the fvck up, while they desperately try to figure out a way to add HDMI into the 20GB version and balance the books, in time for the launch.
Unless it's delayed again!
:lol

PleoMax

Banned
Starchasing said:
The news only affect 20% of the PS3 units. Those units will probably be the first to fly of the shelves. Therebefore 80% of PS3 buyers are unnafected.

This is not done because of production problems. This is done to alter the price perception of the Ps3 and will continue that way until it reaches a mass market price. Until then they will continue 20/80

It is very important to remark this since it is a very shady practice. It is used also by low cost airlines. They usually advertise very low prices but fail to mention that only a few tickets will be sold at that price. The rest of the tickets will cost more. Thed EU is looking at this practice and it looks like its going to be banned.

Think it as a way to pump you to to buy a PS3. Then you go buy one and more than probably be forced to buy the expensive once.

Do you understand that those will be almost impossible to buy? Good luck finding a 499 PS3

Well, honestly, i will only get the console when it launches....here...lol If you know what i mean, so i don't think i will have much trouble at all finding one, i never had any problem in any launch, people around me were allways complaining they couldn't find console X at launch, i allways could :D

Shawn

Banned
I just learned that the 20GB model will have an HDMI port. F*ck yeah! HDMI is all I care about. I'm glad I don't have to buy the more expensive 60GB model.

Piper Az

Does anybody think that this whole "no HDMI but now there it is for YOU!", "we hear you thus we cut the price for YOU!" a big marketing scheme that Ken & Co. had devised a long before E3? It defintely makes Sony look like a saint. Not complaining a bit about it. It is great news.

bud

Piper Az said:
Does anybody think that this whole "no HDMI but now there it is for YOU!", "we hear you thus we cut the price for YOU!" a big marketing scheme that Ken & Co. had devised a long before E3? It defintely makes Sony look like a saint. Not complaining a bit about it. It is great news.

''JAPAN ONLY''

How much does a 40gig hdd cost nowadays.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
plagiarize said:
peanuts. you can get hundreds of gigs for $70 these days.

actually, not really, because most HDD manufacturers don't even make them anymore (in the desktop ATA/166 form factor) :lol

seriously though, interesting defensive move by Sony. I think it shows they feel a lot more threatened by the Wii than by the 360, although I wonder if the decision to include HDMI in the core pack was a reaction to MS starting to saber-rattle about 1080p themselves.

It kind of makes you scratch your head though, as Sony was one of the major people pushing ICT to be delayed due to them having the non-HDMI PS3 coming out. They seem to be a little disorganized, although if the end results are a better product for the consumer you can't complain. Hell, I'd consider a $400 core PS3 with HDMI at launch (if I could get my hands on one).

segasonic

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The disturbing thing is it seems like Ken is running the show by the seat of his pants right now. He's at a Q&A session and decides to throw HDMI in all the systems now? Oh, and while we're at it, lets cut the price too!
you don't really believe that was a spontaneous decision, do you..

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
McValdemar said:
Yes... :lol
Sony wants to be the "first" in everything! :lol :lol
Not really, Nintendo dropped the GC's launch price in Europe a few days before launch because MS did the same thing with the Xbox.

Nerevar said:
actually, not really, because most HDD manufacturers don't even make them anymore (in the desktop ATA/166 form factor) :lol

seriously though, interesting defensive move by Sony. I think it shows they feel a lot more threatened by the Wii than by the 360, although I wonder if the decision to include HDMI in the core pack was a reaction to MS starting to saber-rattle about 1080p themselves.

It kind of makes you scratch your head though, as Sony was one of the major people pushing ICT to be delayed due to them having the non-HDMI PS3 coming out. They seem to be a little disorganized, although if the end results are a better product for the consumer you can't complain. Hell, I'd consider a $400 core PS3 with HDMI at launch (if I could get my hands on one).
sorry... i didn't realise it used a notebook hdd. still, you can get yourself 100 gigs for $90.

Wait a second, so now apart from the harddrive size what is the big disadvantage with this "tard" model?

I didn't want to pay the full price for a premium but I might consider this it if it's not much worse.

Ranger X

Now that people didn't swallow their supposedly bargain price they can ADD and HDMI and DROP the price of almost 100$.

Tell me again that the initial price for the PS3 wasn't a rip off. I hope this make some people realise that value is just a suggestion and WE the customer does influence things.

CONTINUE BITCHING.

btrboyev

premium still has a bigger hd, wireless and flash card support. I need wireless..I am not dealing with throwing cat5 around my place..my tv is nowhere near my router.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
price drop = great. HDMI = don't really care or need it (even though my TV and PJ support it, bluray and games will still support 1080i over component )

You guys do realize that the pages upon pages about PS3 core's value and 1080p over component for movies and/or games were all for nothing, right? :lol I personally find it hilarious.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
What kinda loss is Sony making on these now?

And is Europe going to get the tard pack? I seem to remember something about it never being available over here.

I don't think I could physically bring myself to pay TWICE as much (£425=$800) for something as I know other regions are paying for it, for what, WIFI?

Top Bottom