• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 20gig price cut - HDMI HAS BEEN ADDED! (49980 yen) JAPAN ONLY

segasonic said:
you don't really believe that was a spontaneous decision, do you..

No! :lol

Of course not. It just comes across that way. He doesn't say a word about it in the keynote, then just sort of casually drops it in the Q&A. Even asks for a show of hands on the HDMI thing. "Who wants it?" Everyone raises hand. "That settles it. It's in!" :lol

Angelcurio

20060922_150138_screen0042.jpg

xhadoukenx said:
What kinda loss is Sony making on these now?

I saw a business program on tele a few weeks ago, and it was talking about companies that disable functions from their products before releasing them to market, to create different configurations. The example they used were cpu/motherboards and the company (I think it was IBM) basically blocked stuff off the exact same mobo so they could sell it at different prices with a different config, it was actually costing them more money to make the cheaper version, but it was cheaper then producing 2 motherboards.

Maybe Sony were doing the same thing, and blocking hdmi because it's cheaper to produce then 2 boards, but now they realise people want it too much.

Aeon712

Only really missing out on 40gigs and wifi is the 499 still being called a tard pack? I don't want people calling mine a tard :(. And I remember seeing comparison graphs of both playstations vs both 360's. Does anyone have and can post them? I need to know some things for work.

bud

Aeon712 said:
Only really missing out on 40gigs and wifi is the 499 still being called a tard pack? I don't want people calling mine a tard :(. And I remember seeing comparison graphs of both playstations vs both 360's. Does anyone have and can post them? I need to know some things for work.

The 60 gig versoin also has a memory stick/sd card/compact flash reader and it has the shiny blackness.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Flo_Evans said:
PLEASE ANNOUNCE FOR USA SONY.

keep it at $500, but gimmie my ****ing HDMI please. thank you.

It's already been confirmed it's a global thing.

And Fatghost, I think they've said before that all PS3 controllers are wireless.

The End

Fatghost said:
Does the tard pack come with a wireless controller?

Please to be updating your flash cards.

$499: Common Sense Pack

$599: Tard Pack

(and both of them come with wireless controllers)

Jiggy

I was about to say "Way to re-win, guys" last night, but after thinking about it, Wii is like $212 in Japan--so I'm really not sure how much of an impact it would have. That and it'll only be 20% of the systems anyway, and Sony's now eating an even bigger loss, and so on.

On the other hand, if the PS3 was $410 in the US while Wii stayed at $250, and the ratio was something like 1:1, then it'd be game over for Nintendo unless they dropped their price too.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
The End said:
Please to be updating your flash cards.

$499: Common Sense Pack

$599: Tard Pack

(and both of them come with wireless controllers)

:lol

couldn't agree more. I see absolutely no extra value in the premium pack now. Those extra components they're adding do not come anywhere near justifying $100.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Nerevar said:

couldn't agree more. I see absolutely no extra value in the premium pack now. Those extra components they're adding do not come anywhere near justifying $100.

what are the extras? Wi Fi and that multi-card reader?

Scotch

gofreak said:
Well shit, that's great news. I won't get a PS3 'till it's 300-400 bucks, but since the 499 version is no longer retarted that price may come a lot sooner than I expected. I don't need WiFi or a cardreader, and although 60GB would've been nice, I can live with 20GB if that saves me 100 bucks.

Kolgar

Can we in North America expect a price reduction on the premium pack now that the extra $100 gets you only non-essential bells and whistles?

If this board's reaction is any indication, the $599 PS3 has certainly lost a lot of value and I wonder if perhaps Sony shouldn't drop it altogether.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kolgar said:
Can we in North America expect a price reduction on the premium pack now that the extra $100 gets you only non-essential bells and whistles?

If this board's reaction is any indication, the $599 PS3 has certainly lost a lot of value and I wonder if perhaps Sony shouldn't drop it altogether.

I think they will leave it as is to make more money. They need the money even more with the price reduction in Japan.

Falch

How much will that a PS3 wireless network adaptor cost? That's the only thing that I care about concerning the 500$ PS3 now that HDMI is standard.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Scotch said:
Well shit, that's great news. I won't get a PS3 'till it's 300-400 bucks, but since the 499 version is no longer retarted that price may come a lot sooner than I expected. I don't need WiFi or a cardreader, and although 60GB would've been nice, I can live with 20GB if that saves me 100 bucks.

BuddyC

gofreak said:

And Fatghost, I think they've said before that all PS3 controllers are wireless.
HDMI has been confirmed as a worldwide thing, but that price difference isn't going to be reflected in the US market.

Scoot said:
Actually, SCEA confirmed to me about 10 hours ago that the price of the PS3 in the US would stay the same.

8:22 PST: If you're concerned about the HDMI inclusion in the 20 GIG version of Sony's PS3, SCEA confirmed to 1UP (after hearing Kutaragi at the press conference) that all versions of the PS3 would have HDMI.

SCEA just revealed to 1UP that the price drop in Japan is for that territory ONLY. The pricing structure in the U.S. has not changed.

sangreal said:
from the associated press:

Sony Corp. said Friday it will slash the price of its much-anticipated PlayStation 3 video game console in Japan by 20 percent, heating up the competition in the next-generation gaming war against rivals Microsoft and Nintendo.

The announcement comes just days after Microsoft Corp. announced that it would roll out an external high definition DVD player for its Xbox 360 in an effort to match the PlayStation 3, due to be released in November with its own Blu-ray DVD technology.

Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi, speaking at the Tokyo Game Show in Makuhari, just east of Tokyo, said the move was in response to consumer complaints the upcoming console was too pricey.

Sony will cut the domestic price of its basic PlayStation 3 model to 47,600 yen, or about $410, from an originally planned 59,800 yen, or $515. That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen, or $427.

There are no plans to lower prices in the U.S. or other markets, Sony spokeswoman Nanako Kato said. In Japan, the game will hit stores on Nov. 11.

In the U.S., it will go on sale Nov. 17 at $499 for a 20 gigabyte hard drive version and at $599 for the 60 gigabyte version.

The decision could give Sony a badly needed boost at a time of embarrassing delays for the highly anticipated upgrade. Rival Nintendo Co. is also scheduled to release its next-generation Wii gaming system by year's end, while Xbox 360 has been selling in Japan since December 2005.

PlayStation 3, initially planned for earlier this year, has been postponed twice. Sony now expects to ship only 2 million units by year's end instead of an original projection of 4 million.

The price cut affects the basic PlayStation 3 model, which comes with a 20 gigabyte hard drive. Another upscale version of the PlayStation 3 will have a 60 gigabyte hard drive, but Sony is leaving its pricing to retailers.

Xbox 360 was rushed to market last year to get a headstart on its rivals, but it has seen sluggish sales in Japan, which is one of the world's biggest video game markets but one in which players have a deep loyalty to homegrown Sony.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft's decision to launch an HD DVD peripheral in Japan on Nov. 22, based on a rival format to Sony's Blu-ray, is seen as one attempt to eat into that base. The basic Xbox 360 doesn't come with any high-definition DVD capability.

Nintendo said last week its new Wii game console will arrive on schedule in the final quarter of the year, priced below both rivals, the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3.
:(

Stink

Anything to stop blu-ray movies being encrypted earlier now? I can see it suddenly became a lot more attractive to movies studios.

Stink said:
Anything to stop blu-ray movies being encrypted earlier now? I can see it suddenly became a lot more attractive to movies studios.
well, hdmi tv adoption was really the thing slowing down the ICT i believe... and that hasn't changed. now though the ps3 is future proof even if your TV isn't.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
associated press are reporting the Japanese price drop and how the US aren't getting one. Be interesting to see how the US media and then consumers respond.

Early adopters get ready for a spring price cut once the launch raping has finished.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stink said:

ICT flag is more concerned with TV adoption rates than player features - but Sony did make the push for HD over component while it was planning a component-only PS3, so who knows?

That would ****ing suck and they can kiss my ****ing ass if they speed up ICT. **** ICT and **** them for even inventing that ****ing shit in the first ****ing place.

Nerevar said:

The non-premium will be almost impossible to find so most people will have to swallow it. I just cant understand how they can be so shady. They get everyone hyped up for nothing.

The End

Cynical view:

Both HD-DVD and BRD use AACS. Sony is a voting member of the AACS board (double so, since they control how MGM votes). Now that they've got HDMI in both models, they can screw Microsoft with their component-only HD-DVD solution by implementing ICT.

Flo_Evans

Nerevar said:

but the GLOSSY finnish man! Chrome! bling bling!:lol

Flo_Evans

The End said:
Cynical view:

Both HD-DVD and BRD use AACS. Sony is a voting member of the AACS board (double so, since they control how MGM votes). Now that they've got HDMI in both models, they can screw Microsoft with their component-only HD-DVD solution by implementing ICT.

downer.jpg

Shawn

Banned
Now that I know HDMI is included in the "'tard" pack, that's the one I'm getting.

And the more I think about it, the more I believe the $599 "Premium" pack is a joke.

Bigger hard drive space?... I don't give a crap. Flash reader card thingy?... who gives a sh*t? Wi-fi adapter?... whoopdee-frikken-doo. All for $100 more. The "Premium" pack really is a joke.

Sony's gotta do something about it -- like eliminate the "Premium" pack completely, with its useless (to me, at least) features.

Mmmkay

Well there are the impending DOT and Analog Sunset timebombs too. This announcement nicely redeems the long term worth of the core pack in that respect.

Vark

Shawn said:
Now that I know HDMI is included in the "'tard" pack, that's the one I'm getting.

And the more I think about it, the more I believe $500 "Premium" pack is a joke. Bigger hard drive space? -- I don't give a crap. Flash reader card thingy? -- who gives a sh*t? Wi-fi adapter? -- whoopdee doo. All for $100 more. The "Premium" pack really is a joke.

Sony's gotta do something about it -- like eliminate the "Premium" pack completely, with its useless (to me, at least) features.

$600, not $500.

rager

Banned
I would rather sony get rid of the premium, make the HDD 40g, make the wifi an adapter, only have one HDMI and forget all that Memorystick nonsense and keep the price at $400.

Vark

rager said:
I would rather sony get rid of the premium, make the HDD 40g, make the wifi an adapter, only have one HDMI and forget all that Memorystick nonsense and keep the price at $400.

Either system only has 1 HDMI port.

The price is $500 for a 20gig HDD and no wifi or memory card ports.

Why would they up the HDD size to 40 and sell it for $100 less?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
rager said:

You can buy your own Wifi adaptor. Walmart sells them for like $35.

rager

Banned
Vark said:
Either system only has 1 HDMI port.

The price is $500 for a 20gig HDD and no wifi or memory card ports.

Why would they up the HDD size to 40 and sell it for $100 less?

aww. I keep thinking about the japanese model. I mean $500 bucks US.

It's really ridiculous. The price should have been decided BEFORE Sony brought PS3 to market. Cutting the price just shows that your competitors have you worried. Then, they cut the price in their 3rd largest market, gaming wise, Japan. Not here in America, the biggest. What kind of message is Sony trying to send exactly??? They want to be homies with the Japs and expect highly critic Americans to pay more for the same thing???

Boy, some people really hate to have something they are going to buy called 'tard'.

The cheap PS3 is the tard pack because the lesser version of any system from now until the end of time will be called the tard pack. The precedent is established. It's just a word.

And I'm buying a tard pack.

rager

Banned
People act like it will be bright yellow and have TARD written on it. Geez, it still plays PS3 games and thats all that SHOULD matter.

Wulfer

The End said:
Cynical view:

Question?

What's stopping Microsoft from announcing a HDMI port will be on the HD-DVD drive addon or a cable/adapter will be packed in with the drive? We already know Microsoft can do it their has been a mystery chip confirmed on the system that's said will be able to handle HDMI adapter. What if Microsoft has already planned this scenario and their waiting for X06 to announce this feature just incase Sony pulled a surprise at TGS. If Microsoft pulls a move like that at X06 Sony looks like an even bigger fool than now with the changing prices and added pieces here and there. During Microsoft’s press conference at TGS did they say what would be packed with the HD-DVD drive (cables, software etc) or did anyone bother to ask?

Top Bottom