• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 20gig price cut - HDMI HAS BEEN ADDED! (49980 yen) JAPAN ONLY

Shouta

acousticvan said:
I believe this is misleading.
The source of the information is not credible.
It should not come from a blog, where anybody can post and express their opinion.
We live in america and don't understand sh*t so all the information coming from japan is considered real.

Considering this information is coming from Famitsu AND IGN, I don't see how you can't see it as credible.

GhaleonEB

I'm trying to figure out what in their business model changed that they could ADD the HDMI port, and CUT the price. Weird. They knew they would sell out at launch.

And, just as importantly, I wonder if this trickles out to other territories.

And if it does, will MS cut in response?

h0l211

I can confirm this is true - it was announced in the Q&A after the speech and there was a short break in between the two, so some sites thought it was the end of the relevant information and just left:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10966

In the post-keynote Q&A, Kutaragi was quizzed on the lack of the key HDMI standard in the lower-spec PS3, and he commented: "At the time of E3 there was no [consensus on] HDMI", and that Sony was"concerned that it was overkill." But reception from the press and manufacturers has caused the company to reconsider. He didn't quite confirm that all models of PlayStation 3 will definitely have HDMI, but slyly commented: "If you just open the model on the day of the launch... you may see HDMI."

When asked about the expensive nature of the PS3, Kutaragi somewhat bizarrely claimed that in the U.S., the $499 pricing had retailers and manufacturers happy at "such a great function for that price", trying to paint a picture where Europe was similarly happy, and it was only Japan (where the lower-spec model is 59,800 yen, and the higher-spec price up to retailers) that price came up as an issue.

He commented: "We set the price in other currencies and converted back to Japan", but there has been a change of heart, and he directly stated that the lower-price model will now be below 50,000 yen in Japan when it launches - presumably 49,980 yen, an effective 10,000 yen price cut for the machine.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GhaleonEB said:
I'm trying to figure out what in their business model changed that they could ADD the HDMI port, and CUT the price. Weird. They knew they would sell out at launch.

This ensures the longterm viability of the playstation brand.

This thing, as a blu ray player with hdmi, is going to fly at 399. Just literally fly.

LevelNth

Banned
So if this is true, then the premium pack will have to drop in price as well no? Memory card slots, Wi-Fi and another 40GB aren't exactly worth an extra $200.

Man this will be amazing if this is true, but I STILL WANT MORE DETAILS SONY!!! ****!!!

LJ11

acousticvan said:
It should not come from a blog, where anybody can post and express their opinion.
We live in america and don't understand sh*t so all the information coming from japan is considered real.

Get off the Internet then.

GreekWolf

h0l211 said:
When asked about the expensive nature of the PS3, Kutaragi somewhat bizarrely claimed that in the U.S., the $499 pricing had retailers and manufacturers happy at "such a great function for that price", trying to paint a picture where Europe was similarly happy, and it was only Japan (where the lower-spec model is 59,800 yen, and the higher-spec price up to retailers) that price came up as an issue.
So there you go. USA and Europa get stiffed since we think Sony is practically giving PS3's away... while Japan gets a major price-cut.

Shouta

Wow, no wonder why the PS3 price in Japan was so high, they based it on our price then converted it back. :lol

nataku

If this is true, I really, really hope this carries over to other countries and doesn't remain a Japan only thing.

LJ11

acousticvan said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow, your paranoid as ****.

Get off the Internet then.

They'd be stupid not to at least offer HDMI in the US version. You think they would develop a separate model just to remove HDMI for one territory?

hyp

nataku said:
If this is true, I really, really hope this carries over to other countries and doesn't remain a Japan only thing.

japan is sony land. i highly doubt the US/EU will get a price break. HDMI maybe.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lazy vs Crazy said:
So, not in the US then?

Oh well.

We don't know yet.

Let's remember: THIS IS TGS. For Japan. In Japan.

It's 11 PM EST. No agency would release a press release at 11 pm on a thursday night. I think.

I can't see them not putting HDMI in the American 20 gb. They want three SKUs, one just for Japan?

Razoric

Banned
Mojovonio said:
so it is Japan only?

WTF Sony?

we dont know yet

they have changed a shitload since E3

japan price drop, hdmi in 20gb version

i have no doubt if the price drops in japan that it will drop in the U.S. as well

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i guess they still plan to shaft western markets. our journalists abroad should've booed when kutaragi claimed that we like the price. i'll be happy if the 20gig has hdmi, though -- $500 beats $600, at any rate.

3rdman

h0l211 said:
I can confirm this is true - it was announced in the Q&A after the speech and there was a short break in between the two, so some sites thought it was the end of the relevant information and just left:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10966

In the post-keynote Q&A, Kutaragi was quizzed on the lack of the key HDMI standard in the lower-spec PS3, and he commented: "At the time of E3 there was no [consensus on] HDMI", and that Sony was"concerned that it was overkill." But reception from the press and manufacturers has caused the company to reconsider. He didn't quite confirm that all models of PlayStation 3 will definitely have HDMI, but slyly commented: "If you just open the model on the day of the launch... you may see HDMI."

He commented: "We set the price in other currencies and converted back to Japan", but there has been a change of heart, and he directly stated that the lower-price model will now be below 50,000 yen in Japan when it launches - presumably 49,980 yen, an effective 10,000 yen price cut for the machine.

Well Sony never misleads us so it must be true.

h0l211 said:

****. Ah well, buying on launch-day is usually a bad idea anyway.

Mojovonio

Banned
Razoric said:
we dont know yet

they have changed a shitload since E3

japan price drop, hdmi in 20gb version

i have no doubt if the price drops in japan that it will drop in the U.S. as well

bah

GhaleonEB

Silly thought: I wonder if this is in response to the lower price of the Wii in Japan? Like they wanted to only be 2x the price - 25,000 yen vs 49,980, and $250 vs $499?

VALIS

Shouta said:
Considering this information is coming from Famitsu AND IGN, I don't see how you can't see it as credible.

This is what IGN said:

7:22: A question on why HDMI only is in the high level version of the PS3 only. Kutaragi explains that sony was worried that if they put the HDMI in the lower version, some would complain about having to pay for something they don't want. However, HDMI penetration has come faster than expected. He then asks people if they want HDMI in all models. Everyone in the audience says yes. He then confirms that all models, including the 20 gig version, will have an HDMI port.

From what we can tell, this is only for Japan. You'll have to wait for overseas confirmation to see if this applies in your territory as well.

7:25: Now a question on the price. Kutaragi says the Japanese media and retailers have complained about the cost of the system. He then confirms that the price for the 20 gig model in Japan will, including tax, now be below 50,000 yen. This model will include the HDMI port. He doesn't give the exact price.

7:30: The keynote comes to an end.

Which isn't exactly rock solid on the details. A press release is needed.

GreekWolf

Razoric said:
What?

Kutaragi somewhat bizarrely claimed that in the U.S., the $499 pricing had retailers and manufacturers happy at "such a great function for that price", trying to paint a picture where Europe was similarly happy, and it was only Japan that price came up as an issue.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
technically they haven't started mass producing the PS3s..

so its very possible for them to just stick an HDMI port into the 20 gb version after all. they're making less of them anyway, so they can start that later if need be (i don't know the specifics of adding something like an HDMI port). sounds like the price drop is for Japan only, and HDMI is across the board.

but we need clarification!!

Link

The Autumn Wind
C'mon Sony, make the 20GB version $399 here and I might actually consider picking one up next year.

MightyHedgehog said:
Hmmm...interesting. If this is true, good news for JP and 'tard' pack buyers. Why didn't they do this before?
Lots of backlash I'd assume. Maybe they've got the inside word on lots of retailer/consumer Wii hype in Japan?

thekad said:
:lol I really doubt Sony can just drop the price(and add costly features) on a whim. It is expensive for a reason.

I'll take this with a grain of salt for now.
They might have to start looking at the long-term rather than the short term here. Between the pressure from MS in the states and the pressure from Nintendo in Japan, they may sacrifice profits now for profits later.

Diablos said:
The question is, do you think they'll make North America pay $500 and $600 still?
I doubt it... but you never know.
I would have said no before the Wii's pricing announcement, but now I'm not so sure. Japan used to always pay more than the US, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore lately.

Juice

Holy hell. This better ****ing make it to America some how, because PS3 with HDMI at a pinch over $400 is just cheap enough to tempt me.

I predict much turbulence in the near future
on GAF

Shouta

GhaleonEB said:
Silly thought: I wonder if this is in response to the lower price of the Wii in Japan? Like they wanted to only be 2x the price - 25000 yen vs 499800, and $250 vs $499?

The Wii price is the same as the US one if you go to a 100 to 1 ratio. The reason the PS3 was higher was because they based the price of the system on what they wanted to charge us but instead of going 100 to 1, they converted it with the current exchange rates. You might be right in that it is to have equal footing in Japan as well as America.

Doctor_No

Shouta said:

Also on Watch Impress:

http://bb.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/news/15497.html

Also, folks at the conference and on the Japanese BBS like 2ch.net claiming to have heard Kutaragi say it, while I'll wait until an official press release, especially concerning US release, seems that multiple news outlets are reporting Kutaragi saying this at TGS. . .

Mojovonio

Banned
Link said:
They might have to start looking at the long-term rather than the short term here. Between the pressure from MS in the states and the pressure from Nintendo in Japan, they may sacrifice profits now for profits later.

That's a huge ****ing gamble they're willing to take.

GhaleonEB

Shouta said:
The Wii price is the same as the US one if you go to a 100 to 1 ratio. The reason the PS3 was higher was because they based the price of the system on what they wanted to charge us but instead of going 100 to 1, they converted it with the current exchange rates. You might be right in that it is to have equal footing in Japan as well as America.
That last point is really what I was getting at - in local currency, the lower price SKU is now exactly twice the Wii in both the US and Japan. Perhaps a coincidence, but I think maybe they have a business model around those relative price points.

VALIS

Razoric said:

Then you're not reading enough. KK claimed Japanese customers and businesses were unhappy with the pricing while US and European customers and businesses were (lolz!) happy with the prices. Then they announce a price drop in Japan. 1+1=2, dude. Price drop is only Japan.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mojovonio said:
That's a huge ****ing gamble they're willing to take.
I agree, but let's remember, videogames aren't the only thing at stake for Sony here, so is Blu Ray.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Jeez guys, don't take my word for it. I've been talking to folks on my end, but I don't have any solid confirmation. However, Famitsu and IGN reporting it seem to make it real. Haven't heard anything official or anything for the US territories. Obviously we're interested though!

JS

Rody

JB1981 said:
I'm not signed in there. Can you post his comments in full please.

Me: JS, can you confirm me something? Some websties are claiming that Kutarai confirmed today that even the 20GB model of the PS3 will have an HDMI output. Can you confirm this?

JS: We are trying to confirm that for ourselves at this moment.

Me: Ok.
I'm really skeptical about this and just waiting for the confirmation before start spreading the news.

JS: Right now we are pretty sure it is legit.

Me: Wow. HUGE news. Thanks!

Top Bottom