• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker (Kotaku parent) Files for Bankruptcy Protection, Ziff Davis (IGN) wants to buy

Which IGN show should Jason Schreier host?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jonboy

Peter Thiel is getting closer to his goal: Gawker Media has filed for bankruptcy protection and says it eventually plans to find a new owner for the company.

Gawker and owner Nick Denton are making the Chapter 11 filing today, in order to avoid paying Thiel and Hulk Hogan the $140 million judgement they won in Hogan’s privacy trial earlier this year.

Gawker has told it employees it still plans to fight the Thiel/Hogan case and to operate its publishing business while it does so. But it is also now formally entertaining offers to buy the company and says it has a firm bid from publisher Ziff Davis to buy the entire operation for less than $100 million.

More here: http://www.recode.net/2016/6/10/11903764/gawker-bankruptcy-chapter-11-sale-ziff-davis

Though it's filing for bankruptcy, Gawker has no plans to cease its operations. The company will continue to operate as normal while the bankruptcy process proceeds and it appeals the Hogan judgment.

More here: http://www.politico.com/media/story...ankruptcy-to-protect-assets-from-hogan-004593

Breaking: Gawker Media files for bankruptcy...

https://twitter.com/verge/status/741313624199860224

Mesoian

Yeah, that was pretty much the only way that this could go considering they lost that appeal.

What's crazier is that Ziff Davis might buy it back.

You can never escape Ziff Davis. All things begin and end at Ziff.

CeJMRByW0AAhLh1.jpg

WHATCHA GONNA DO BROTHER?

L Thammy

Sucks for the people involve at Gawker who weren't involved in this, hope they land on their feet. This whole incident was really stupid and avoidable.

Hagi

Inevitable after losing the appeal.

As long as he buries Kotaku, I am fine with it... I really dislike that site.

You dislike it so much you want people to lose their jobs? that's kinda sad. What happened to just ignoring things you don't like on the internet.

qatak

Neo Member
Hopefully filing for Chapter 11 means that most can keep their jobs there. I know they're polarizing but they've put out so much of my favorite writing (Schreier, Narcisse, and Hamilton at Kotaku especially but I really do love Jalopnik and Jezebel too) over the last few years.

I'll never understand where that $140m figure came from. Blows my mind when Erin Andrews only ended up with $6m.

If you decide to work for an organization that does what Gawker does you have to be prepared for the consequences. Hard to be sympathetic.

qatak

Neo Member
As long as he buries Kotaku, I am fine with it... I really dislike that site.

They're one of the only games writing sites that isn't just a mouthpiece for publisher marketing! Never a good look to wish bad upon someone's job, but there are so many great people working at Kotaku.

Jonboy

Sucks for the people involve at Gawker who weren't involved in this, hope they land on their feet. This whole incident was really stupid and avoidable.

Sorry to see Kotaku in trouble.

Less sorry to see the rest of Deadspin's tactics and crappy reporting go onto the chopping block.

Pretty much this.

Denton deserves this, as do others under the Gawker umbrella, but for the most part, there are a lot of innocent people who will be impacted by this. Easy to say they should get out or leave, but when you have a family and bills to pay, that's much easier said than done. Thinks I love and hate about Kotaku, but I hope they land on their feed. Really think a lot of Jason Schreirer and the work he's doing there.

@Wreck

oh this is a super bummer for the poor staff at Kotaku

i'll miss the site as well it was one of my stops daily

aslo pouring it out for

lifehacker
skellet
etc...

Top Bottom