• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision is buying Gawker Media for $135M

LiK

http://www.recode.net/2016/8/16/12504008/univision-is-buying-gawker-media-for-135-million

Univision has won the auction for Gawker Media.

The TV network and digital publisher has agreed to pay $135 million for the bankrupt blog network, according to a person familiar with the deal.

Univision’s offer will encompass all seven of Gawker Media’s sites, including Gawker.com

Ziff Davis and Univision were the only two bidders for Gawker, which filed for bankruptcy after Hulk Hogan and Peter Thiel won a $140 million judgement in a privacy case. Ziff Davis had originally offered $90 million for Gawker Media.

The deal won’t be official for a bit. For starters, a US bankruptcy court judge needs to sign off on the transaction. When it is final, the funds will be set aside, while Gawker appeals its court case; eventually the money will go to the side that wins.

Whatever the result of the case, the auction is a disappointing conclusion for Gawker Media owner Nick Denton, who founded the company in 2002.

Last year, as rival media companies like Vice, BuzzFeed and Vox Media (which owns this site) were raising money at increasingly high valuations, Denton was arguing that his company was worth $250 million or more.

Well, at least it's not Ziff

malfcn

logo.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That is not the company I would have expected. Glad they found a buyer though. Lots of good people working there despite the shitty guys in charge.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nothing but soccer coverage allowed on deadspin now.

Not surprised there wasnt much bidding... considering the circumstances.

This is probably one of the better outcomes they could have hoped for. Univision already has a semi-'edgy' outlet in Fusion, so it's clear they're not particularly concerned with playing nice. Hopefully this means all of the outlets, and Kotaku in particular, can continue business as usual, or at least as close to that as possible.

Off topic but I dislike the way Univision branched out showing Liga MX games. I used to be able to watch them all but now you need to pay more for their dedicated football channels. Small rant out of the way.

On to the topic itself. I wonder why Univision bought them.

Yeah I'm serious. Maybe cause I'm from the UK, but I'm not familiar with Univision. Is it a branch of Unilever? Becasue they own EVERYTHING.

Deku Tree

Univision has a huge liberal bias. They'll get along just fine with Gawker.

If anything Gawker will probably continue to be just like Gawker, or worse. And Hogan will probably still lose on the Federal appeal. But in the mean time they had to be sold because the court said so.

Vice

Off topic but I dislike the way Univision branched out showing Liga MX games. I used to be able to watch them all but now you need to pay more for their dedicated football channels. Small rant out of the way.

On to the topic itself. I wonder why Univision bought them.
They want a big slice of the millenial market. Gawker has a lot of sites that do well in that demo. In the past they hired a lot of Gawker staff for their own websites.

Univision has a huge liberal bias. They'll get along just fine with Gawker.

I think it has to do mostly with what Donal trump controversial statements about Mexicans.
Univsion has to keep Mexicans Happy.
Mexican viewers + Soccer + Univision = $$$

Also isn't Univison owned partially by Televisa (Mexican Television Network)

"What's with all the King of Fighters coverage on Kotaku?"

Gold, pure GOld

Hopefully a good outcome for Press Sneak Fuck and many of the other writers on the various sites.

Restore io9 to its former glory, please. Becoming a Gizmodo vertical ruined it and the community.

Top Bottom