• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision is buying Gawker Media for $135M

EL CUCO

Meet the new face of Kotaku ;)
1294255240_0.jpg

Actually, I think he's with Telemundo now.

NolbertoS

So now it means, Univision, Galavision and Univision Deportes is gonna advertise this. Surprised Univision hasn't bought more social media companies

CHC

Interesting buyer, but from the sound of things Kotaku should (hopefully) continue more or less as usual.

135 milly is also surprisingly.... low? Gawker was a huge company. I wonder what they were valued at in their heyday?

Interesting buyer, but from the sound of things Kotaku should (hopefully) continue more or less as usual.

135 milly is also surprisingly.... low? Gawker was a huge company. I wonder what they were valued at in their heyday?
Almost twice that.

Univision has a huge liberal bias. They'll get along just fine with Gawker.

Do they really? I remember they aired ads speaking out against same sex marriage back when Prop 8 was on the ballot in California.

Their telenovelas are also full of sexist bullshit.

I think they're just liberal when it comes to anything related to immigration. On anything else, their pandering to the heavy Catholic leaning of their target audience is quite blatant.

neoanarch

Do they really? I remember they aired ads speaking out against same sex marriage back when Prop 8 was on the ballot in California.

Their telenovelas are also full of sexist bullshit.

I think they're just liberal when it comes to anything related to immigration. On anything else, their pandering to the heavy Catholic leaning of their target audience is quite blatant.
Socially conservative older generations, heavily liberal younger generation.

FyreWulff

Kotaku pronounced in Spanish is Kotaku

It's all in the pace. Even with my shitty bits and pieces of Spanish, the radio announcers would find some way to stretch Kotaku out into a six second long word.

Univision, owners of TheOnion.com, ClickHole.com, AVClub.com, TheRoot.com, and now the Gawker family of sites (io9.com and kotaku.com being the ones that interest me the most)

That's pretty funny that they own both a clickbait site and a parody of a clickbait site

DrkSage

Well, this is the day I learned my limitations within the spanish language.

I (kinda) tried but could not translate Press Sneak Fuck to spanish...

thank you,
I think

Well, if the fuck in press sneak fuck is referring to the person like "you fucker" then it would be cabron

My translation would be "sigiloso cabron de prensa", but then that would be "press sneak fucker"

Maybe Univision could instill a sense of journalistic integrity to Gawker at large.

You'd have to purge most of the 'journalists' from the network to do that, tho.

AgeEighty

Seems like an odd pairing on the surface, but supposedly Univision has been trying to branch out beyond Spanish-language stuff, and this certainly seems to back that up.

It's a strange outcome but it could potentially be a better option than Z-D, whom I am sure would have tried to consolidate with their other media properties at some point.

Makonero

Well, if the fuck in press sneak fuck is referring to the person like "you fucker" then it would be cabron

My translation would be "sigiloso cabron de prensa", but then that would be "press sneak fucker"

That's pretty much the meaning

We can call it localization

Gattsu25

Banned
It's all in the pace. Even with my shitty bits and pieces of Spanish, the radio announcers would find some way to stretch Kotaku out into a six second long word.

That's pretty funny that they own both a clickbait site and a parody of a clickbait site
The only legit clickbait site that I visit is DrudgeReport.com

I'm assuming you are referring to gawker.com but I wouldn't know since I don't visit them.

Top Bottom