• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker (Kotaku parent) Files for Bankruptcy Protection, Ziff Davis (IGN) wants to buy

Which IGN show should Jason Schreier host?

Results are only viewable after voting.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
He could have made a neutral statement.

Instead he choose to stand behind Gawker. OK, then I assume Kotaku has no moral problems with what Gawker has been doing.

Do you think Kotaku can post freely? They are paid by Gawker/Denton, they say what their boss wants them to write.

Not a huge fan of that wide brush you are painting with but that is my problem. I do however agree that a good amount of people view the "system" that way.

Not a huge fan of being seen by libertarians as a parasite that needs to be purged.

Not a huge fan of my voting/economic/medical rights be seen as expandable by conservatives.

Guess who the tech bros and their allies have been pallying around with?

People should read up on what Gawker did to that Conde Nast executive.

And here's Totilo's response to that story...

Inh8rHT.jpg

Arkam

Not a huge fan of being seen by libertarians as a parasite that needs to be purged.

Not a huge fan of my voting/economic/medical rights be seen as expandable by conservatives.

Guess who the tech bros and their allies have been pallying around with?

No, not a fan of you lumping people into groups and assuming their thoughts. None of the above are inherent "planks/staples/etc" of either group you call out.

Anfang

Really gross.

Can someone remind me again why it was OK to out the Conde Nosta guy? Why is it any of our business besides his own?

Ohhhh riiiight.

Clicks.

He was cheating on his wife.

Its funny though how Denton was actually rational in the Conde story but not this one lol.

Wagram

"This was due to an unprecedented legal assault financed in secret by Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel."

I expected better out of Totilo of all people. What a joke.

LordRaptor

Its funny though how Denton was actually rational in the Conde story but not this one lol.

"public interest" doesn't mean "interesting to the public" even though the same words are in there.

e:
Stuff like celebrity sextapes might be super interesting to the public, but theres no such thing as Public Prurience protections

No, not a fan of you lumping people into groups and assuming their thoughts. None of the above are inherent "planks/staples/etc" of either group you call out.

lol that's not your ass either group sees as a corrupting influence on pure capitalism or representative democracy.

L Thammy

Yes, we all criticize our bosses publicly in notices about ongoing legal matters. That's the sensible approach.

If Kotaku's going to be sold, isn't the boss not going to be the boss for much longer? Or am I confused? It seems to me that they could remain neutral for a short period of time, then they'd be totally in the clear since they're not connected to this legal issue.

And didn't Gawker already lose? I don't think they have to worry about "ongoing legal matters" when they already know the result; either Kotaku is dead or it's being sold.

it's a shitty, selfish worldview.

As much as I hate libertarians, I don't think that entitles them to abuse.

"This was due to an unprecedented legal assault financed in secret by Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel."

Joke or not, it's true. Gawker reporters have done a lot of good journalism. Like Totilo says:

All the sites have done great reporting. The investigative reporters at Deadspin who reported on Greg Hardy and Kevin Johnson, for example, are an inspiration to our news team. Jezebel has been doing some great politics coverage. Gawker got people talking about the allegations against Bill Cosby before that became a big thing recently. Etc. And every site has its detractors, its stories they’d do differently years later and whatnot. It’s a mix, as it is with most outlets.

The outing thing, I don't know. He was known to be gay in Silicon Valley. It just got spread beyond their iron curtain.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

While cheating on your wife is wrong, it still doesn't give them carte blanche to out someone like they did.

A Google search shows Gawker really got blasted for that story and rightly so. So that probably had something to do with it.

Sirim

I feel like the GAF rule of "we furiously hate Kotaku" is in dire need of a modern update. A lot of good comes from Kotaku.

GAF isn't a hive mind, but sometimes these unspoken rules spread to everyone including newcomers.

Edit: Not speaking about the Gawker ordeal, just Kotaku specifically.

Draxal

While cheating on your wife is bad, it still doesn't give them carte blanche to out someone like they did.

A Google search shows Gawker really got blasted for that story and rightly so. So that probably had something to do with it.

Advertisers bailed on Gawker due to Conde Nast situation.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Joke or not, it's true. Gawker reporters have done a lot of good journalism. Like Totilo says:

The outing thing, I don't know. He was known to be gay in Silicon Valley. It just got spread beyond their iron curtain.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if they posted a list of all the gay game developers they knew for no reason.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I know this is a stressful time for the employees....

But the Hulk Hogan pics, gifs, phrases have me crying right now.

Stop it.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if they posted a list of all the gay game developers they knew for no reason.

Most game devs are not rich and powerful assholes with insane amounts of money and unaccountable power within the billionaire class and the ability to influence media with his money and power.

But outing someone no matter how rich and powerful? I'm on the fence.

Anfang

That warranted them basically assisting the blackmailer?

He asked for their reasoning and I gave it. My opinion below that bit should have been enough to show how I stand on it. Heres a quote from Denton on the matter.

“The point of this story was not in my view sufficient to offset the embarrassment to the subject and his family, Accordingly, I have had the post taken down. It is the first time we have removed a significant news story for any reason other than factual error or legal settlement”

collige

Banned
This certainly sucks for Kotaku, Deadspin, etc, but their owner rightfully got owned in this scenario. I feel bad for them in the same way I felt bad for Enron's employees. It had nothing to do with them, but this is how it's gotta be.

The complaints about Thiel would be valid if was using his money and influence to harm Gawker purely out of vengeance, but in this case he was on the right side of the legal battle helping someone who was legitimately harmed by Gawker's actions. If anything, it would be an affront to justice if Hogan didn't win. That said, the severity of the consequences was definitely manipulated to be maximized via legal tactics, but that could've been done with or without Thiel's help.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games

I'm sorry to have let you down. I don't love every story our sites have published, but I'm proud of plenty. I've worked at numerous media outlets that have run great stories and bad ones. That's how it is. The existence of a bad piece or an unpopular one or a controversial one or even one a jury doesn't approve of doesn't, in my mind, warrant the attempted destruction of a media outlet. I run Kotaku with an open ear to feedback. I listen to criticism, do my best to respond to it and try to improve the site in the process. Always have, always will. The Thiel stuff, though, is unusual. Without his maneuvering, we wouldn't be in this position. You can certainly say they were dominoes behind that, but if you read this piece, you will hopefully have a better sense of what I'm talking about: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac...er-thiel-plan-to-destroy-gawker/#7ad4692d5848

Anfang

I'm sorry to have let you down. I don't love every story our sites have published, but I'm proud of plenty. I've worked at numerous media outlets that have run great stories and bad ones. That's how it is. The existence of a bad piece or an unpopular one or a controversial one or even one a jury doesn't approve of doesn't, in my mind, warrant the attempted destruction of a media outlet. I run Kotaku with an open ear to feedback. I listen to criticism, do my best to respond to it and try to improve the site in the process. Always have, always will. The Thiel stuff, though, is unusual. Without his maneuvering, we wouldn't be in this position. You can certainly say they were dominoes behind that, but if you read this piece, you will hopefully have a better sense of what I'm talking about: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac...er-thiel-plan-to-destroy-gawker/#7ad4692d5848

Y'all had the right video and the wrong video and decided to run with the wrong one to get more clicks. You had the chance to make it right but still disobeyed. You dug your own graves.

That is VERY strongly worded statement. Care to expand so I can understand why you believe this?

Libertarians tend to use their intelligence for their own gains and fuck what others think.

They have unearned sense of superiority just because they think they're smarter then the average person and will tend to fuck that person over repeatedly "for the lulz"

These same people tend to think ethics and basic laws are elaborate jokes that they blow off because they think they're better then the average person.

Their whole mindset is based on selfishness, superiority and apathy for others.

If only it was a single bad piece of media, people might be more inclined to sympathy. One, two, even three mistakes might be within the realm of a forgivable offenses.

Except Gawker has been embroiled in controversy for nearly a decade. Comeuppance gets around at some point.

Arkam

Libertarians tend to use their intelligence for their own gains and fuck what others think.

They have unearned sense of superiority just because they think they're smarter then the average person and will tend to fuck that person over repeatedly "for the lulz"

These same people tend to think ethics and basic laws are elaborate jokes that they blow off because they think they're better then the average person.

partyphone = Nomadic Sparks? Or are you just answering for them?

LordJim

If the charges were bogus, courts were bought or it was a case of billionaire silencing legit investigative journalism, there would be a point.
But what we have here is the financing of a legitimate case over some of the trashiest journalism possible.
So no, sympathy is not warranted and you cannot hide behind freedom of press for that

This post is kind of funny because you're targeting Thiel's politics, when the bolded clearly describes the company (Gakwer) he targeted as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I think you mean Sociopaths, which are found in all political demographics. Since a lot of intelligent, narcissistic sociopaths crave power and control.

This post is kind of funny because you're targeting Thiel's politics, when the bolded clearly describes the company (Gakwer) he targeted as well.

Ironic, isn't it?

system11

I'd have sympathy if the end results weren't so richly deserved.

I suppose the best outcome would be ZD buying it, getting rid of all the people who made these decisions in the past, plastering the sites with Doritos and Mountain Dew adverts and ensuring some people get to keep their jobs.

partyphone = Nomadic Sparks? Or are you just answering for them?

no but I agree with it. libertarianism is a very "fuck you, got mine" philosophy. it's mostly privileged white men who think private wealth and power should run everything.

i don't like anyone on either side of this debate which is why I choose to stand by the basic principles of the first amendment. as long as we have free speech and free press there will be shitty tabloids.

Top Bottom