• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker (Kotaku parent) Files for Bankruptcy Protection, Ziff Davis (IGN) wants to buy

Which IGN show should Jason Schreier host?

Results are only viewable after voting.
As I said earlier this is really shitty news, but saw this on Twitter and, well

68800296.jpg

Arkam

well yeah. everyone is going to miss the forrest for the trees because it's fun. and we're going to continue to let asshole libertarian billionaires do whatever the fuck they want. and I'm not just talking about this forum.

Why does the guys political affinity matter?

i'm gonna sue you for eye injury because of how hard I just rolled them into the back of my head.

everything is political. your insistence on avoiding politics is a political statement.

Kotaku employs marginalized people, their mere existence/their rights as humans is a bone of contention for most libertarians/ conservatives. So why shouldn't they be able to comment pop culture and video games??

L Thammy

This is horrible. Now when I publicly out people, I have to worry about them suing me. That's not what freedom is about.

(Note: I feel like I have to point that out that this is not a serious comment, because a lot of similar posts seem to be.)

All silicon valley techbros think they're John Galt and they're more evolved then the plebians who infest the internet.

They view the law and justice system as a rather hilarious elaborate joke.

Skux

Wow, Hulk is really that petty.

If petty means getting justice for the people who leaked your sex tape without your consent, I'd be petty too.

I dislike certain websites as much as the next guy but it's not like anyone there is doing anything illegal or unethical. These people have families and themselves to feed.

Uh, doing illegal and unethical things is exactly why they're in this position.

Arkam

All silicon valley techbros think they're John Galt and they're more evolved then the plebians who infest the internet.

They view the law and justice system as a rather hilarious elaborate joke.

Not a huge fan of that wide brush you are painting with but that is my problem. I do however agree that a good amount of people view the "system" that way.

That means covering E3 next week, reporting about gaming culture in the months to come and, of course, writing the best possible review of Half-Life 3 when it finally comes out.
Kotaku may survive the bankruptcy, but it won't survive the heat death of the universe.

Uh, doing illegal and unethical things is exactly why they're in this position.
Gawker, not Kotaku.

Harusame

I feel quite sorry for the Kotaku and Jalopnik team. Hopefully things work out for them. Secondly, I wonder what will happen to TAY and AniTAY sections...

Aselith

So, you can file for bankruptcy and sell the company to avoid paying judgments? Seems kinda weird, I would think the capital made from the sale should go to the party that got the judgment.

Makonero

Wow OK, so the actions of Gawker is not behind the bankruptcy? The judge and jury just decided to do the bidding of some guy from Silicon Valley for no reason whatsoever.

Way to wipe out credibility, Stephen Totilo.

Yes, we all criticize our bosses publicly in notices about ongoing legal matters. That's the sensible approach.

Dennis

Banned
Yes, we all criticize our bosses publicly in notices about ongoing legal matters. That's the sensible approach.

He could have made a neutral statement.

Instead he choose to stand behind Gawker. OK, then I assume Kotaku has no moral problems with what Gawker has been doing.

joms5

This was due to an unprecedented legal assault financed in secret by Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel.

Right because leaking an intimate video of someone had nothing to do with it. What an asshole. Clearly been drinking the Gawker Kool Aid.

I wasn't before, but now i'm glad he's going to lose his job.

No one asked for criticism.

Although, I dunno, you'd hope that someday the people who have worked for Gawker will stand up against the scum who run and work for the company.

Riposte

Wow OK, so the actions of Gawker is not behind the bankruptcy? The judge and jury just decided to do the bidding of some guy from Silicon Valley for no reason whatsoever.

Way to wipe out credibility, Stephen Totilo.

For all the pity begging, they remain completely silent or unapologetic and supportive on the matter. Every corporation has good people working in it, and some of them don't even stay on message when that corporation does something horrible enough to earn itself destructive consequences through the legal system.

The first amendment concerns seem to be reaching, at best.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I am trying to imagine what an IGN owned Kotaku would look like though....they'd probably just merge it into IGN and kill it eventually like 1Up.

1up.com continued to operate as an independent website until the day it was shuttered.

Mooreberg

Cause and effect. Gawker could have elected to not be vile and reprehensible at any point since 2007. They just kept handing out baseballs for people to aim at the dunk tank.

Top Bottom