• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker (Kotaku parent) Files for Bankruptcy Protection, Ziff Davis (IGN) wants to buy

Which IGN show should Jason Schreier host?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kinyou

When we get to real freedom of the press/speech then absolutely YES — even if they were really questionable (shitty) moves.

This just means that someone can bully a company into virtual nonexistence because they have money.

Imagine if the "ethics kids" really supported ethics they wouldn't be celebrating this shit.
So companies should instead be allowed to mercilessly bully individuals? You have to draw some lines, and in this case a trial determined that those lines were crosses.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess you totally missed the point where I said I'm not defending Gawker? In fact, I hate Gawker The Website for the exact reasons you mentioned.

What's to stop another billionaire from doing this same thing to another company? Remember the Romney "47% of people don't matter" video? With this precedent he could've challenged that and won. That's kind of unsettling.

He didn't buy the judge and jury. Gawker are responsible for their own shitty practices and it took someone with enough time, money and resentment to finally call them out.

everything that happens to them is their fault. It won't happen to someone else unless they not publically laugh at court orders and act like idiots.

BiggNife

Okay I guess I'll drop this because it appears people are painting me as the patron saint of gawker

I'll just reiterate that I find the idea that one person single-handedly destroyed a company (as bad as that company might be) over a grudge to be a bit unsettling

Anfang

Okay I guess I'll drop this because it appears people are painting me as the patron saint of gawker

I'll just reiterate that I find the idea that one person single-handedly destroyed a company (as bad as that company might be) over a grudge to be a bit unsettling

Lets flip this. I find the idea of a company single handedly destroying an individual unsettling.

It happens both ways.

Yeah, that was pretty much the only way that this could go considering they lost that appeal.

What's crazier is that Ziff Davis might buy it back.

You can never escape Ziff Davis. All things begin and end at Ziff.

They're pretty much the reason why everyone in the games media bashes Nintendo.

DorkyMohr

Banned

No one's calling you out for defending gawker, they're calling you out for overblowing this idea of "precedent" and not understanding how freedom of press / the law / the courts work.

He didn't single-handedly destroy them. The problem with your argument is that you continue to completely ignore that they broke the law which opened the door for him to help Hogan form a legal standpoint.

lolol ok there sport.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

but it's okay for a massive company to single-handedly try and destroy someone for being gay? They're nothing more than bullies and this time they picked on someone who can fight back.

and let's be very clear they did this to themselves. Nobody made them post garbage and taunt a judge.

DorkyMohr

Banned
Is there anyway IGN and Kotaku can co-exist under the same umbrella like GameSpot and Giant Bomb do for CBSi?

It's possible, though I honestly was surprised that Giant Bomb remained it's own entity when it was folded back in. But like in that situation, the type of coverage they both provide is very different.

Arkam

Other than their note on the site that those with information in general can contact at such and such email, what pressure?

Post anything slightly juicy(here, other forums, twitter, etc and they DM asking for more. Sometimes they are nice and respect a simple No. Other times hey hound you. Even going as far as using alt accounts and build fake relationships so you think it is just another insider. I still remember reading my exact paraphrasing of the WiiU specs on a dozen sites that I believed was confidential.

In my personal experience TMZ is the worst. They will straight up cold call you (on the phone) if they get a lead.

I believe in good investigative reporting, but sometimes people cross the line.

Saying that "one person single handedly destroyed a company" is totally disengeous. They destroyed themselves by making stupid decisions in the way that any other company who continually makes stupid decisions might one day find themselves broke. If they had done nothing wrong or unethical, the guy with the grudge would not have been able to do shit, no matter how bad he hated them.

BibiMaghoo

What's to stop another billionaire from doing this same thing to another company? Remember the Romney "47% of people don't matter" video? With this precedent he could've challenged that and won. That's kind of unsettling.

I don't think the concern is that a billionaire can crush a company for exposing their private life like that. I think it's concerning that it takes a billionaire to do it at all, because that means the little people that don't have the money just have to live with it. That is the worse evil by far.

No matter how shitty you think Gawker is, the idea that a billionaire can bury media organisations over a grudge is fucking disgusting.

Uhh, I view it in the opposite way - we are lucky this happened to a billionaire because who else could fight back? If this had happened to basically anyone else then they would be free to continue their awful practices

I mean, I think I get your greater point, but sometimes the ends truly do justify the means, especially when there are so few "means" available to us

The outing, posting of sex tapes, and utter disregard and disdain for the damage their blog did to peoples' lives worries you LESS than the fact the Hulkster had a rich buddy helping him pay for the lawsuit?

Lol, ok.

This is funny considering that rich buddy is also responsible for bankrolling James O'Keefe's ACORN smear job, which resulted in:

ACORN suffered an extremely damaging nationwide controversy beginning in the fall of 2009 after two conservative activists secretly made and released videos of staged interactions with low-level ACORN personnel in several offices, portraying them as encouraging criminal behavior. Several independent investigations eventually found the videos to have been partially falsified and selectively edited by the activists, James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles,[7] and cleared ACORN, finding its employees had not engaged in the alleged criminal activities and that the organization had appropriately managed its federal funding - but in the meantime the organization suffered an immediate loss of funding from government agencies with which it had contracts, and from private donors.[8][9][10]

The loss of funds had been too damaging and by March 2010, 15 of ACORN's 30 state chapters had already closed[8] and ACORN announced it was closing its remaining state chapters and disbanding.[11] On November 2, 2010 its U.S. offices filed for Chapter 7 liquidation effectively closing the organization

Peter Thiel is not a good guy and wasn't doing this to protect journalistic integrity. That's not to say that Gawker was in the right, and that Hogan doesn't deserve justice (even though I can't stand his racist ass), though. I'm just tired of seeing people paint this as something noble.

Because they do real news and journalism and aren't schills for game companies?

I can't speak for the person you're quoting, but for me, it's because they can't write a single article without tossing in their social-political commentary as well. I don't care what a person's stance is, but if I come to a video game site, I want to read about video games, not hear that kind of stuff. I stopped reading Kotaku like 3 or 4 years ago because of that garbage.

If I want to read social-political articles or comments, I'll visit one of the 3 news websites I frequent, not a video game site.

Lets flip this. I find the idea of a company single handedly destroying an individual unsettling.

It happens both ways.

yes but what does this have to do with this case? thiel is still a shitty manbaby billionaire last I checked.

what this does is put a chilling effect on anyone reporting on billionaires.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
yes but what does this have to do with this case? thiel is still a shitty manbaby billionaire last I checked.

No it doesn't unless you're posting slanderous shit.

It's more worrying that the only people that can fight back are billionaires.

CeJMRByW0AAhLh1.jpg

WHATCHA GONNA DO BROTHER?

Too good.

Kadin

I love that so many of you can articulate how I feel and say things I couldn't say myself. Just had to say this real quick.

It's pretty amazing to see how this is playing out. I honestly never thought the day would come where the fall of Gawker would ever actually be a real thing. Even after the ruling, I figured they'd find a way to continue on. And now it looks like that won't happen. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

I just hope the guys I liked at Kotaku find a good place to land. That's all I ask.

How many websites, magazines, TV shows etc. have reported on billionaires and are still operating just fine today? The difference between them and Gawker is that they don't think they're above the law.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, that sucks. Gawker brought it upon themselves however with their loose & flimsy policies on personal info. I hope the writers for Kotaku, io9, Jezebel & Deadspin land okay - I visit those blogs everyday and would hate to see them go.

Kadin

How many websites, magazines, TV shows etc. have reported on billionaires and are still operating just fine today? The difference between them and Gawker is that they don't think they're above the law.
I've been wondering, if Gawker had pulled the video as the Judge ordered them to do, do you think Hogan would have still had a case and this outcome still could have been the end result? Or was their defiance the final straw?

Mub!

i cant wait till it comes back/something takes its place stronger and worse so people who were angry about the thing originally come to realize the grave mistake they made

That's a shame, I had mad respect for them standing their ground to ensure the world got to see an old man fuck his best friend's wife.

/Salutes

OmegaX0

I've been wondering, if Gawker had pulled the video as the Judge ordered them to do, do you think Hogan would have still had a case and this outcome still could have been the end result? Or was their defiance the final straw?

There would be no case. Hogan's lawyer told Gawker that they would take no legal action if they just took the video down, which they refused obviously.

Venfayth

I don't mind Gawker going under (beyond people losing their jobs which obviously sucks for those who had nothing to do with the scandal) it's really gross to see how quickly people hop back on the Hulk Hogan train. Guy is a scumbag.

Ridiculously oversimplified.

Simply put, don't post something without someone's consent and you won't find yourself in this trouble.

Giolon

While I feel bad for the individuals that had nothing to do with the fuckery, I feel no sympathy for the owners and editors that blatantly flouted the court order to take the story down. It's like walking over 200 yards off the path in Yellowstone despite warning signs, and falling into a boiling acid pit. At some point it's your own fault.

Privacy should mean something, even if someone is a celebrity - and that story was in no way in the public interest.

I am trying to imagine what an IGN owned Kotaku would look like though....they'd probably just merge it into IGN and kill it eventually like 1Up.

Iksenpets

Banned
It's possible, though I honestly was surprised that Giant Bomb remained it's own entity when it was folded back in. But like in that situation, the type of coverage they both provide is very different.

GB had a lot more core brand strength than Kotaku did. It was personality driven whereas Kotaku is still content driven, and there's nothing really preventing that content from just migrating to IGN. I imagine they'll give it a shot, and operate Kotaku as a sort of higher-brow, more in-depth sister site to IGN, but if it's numbers aren't where they want after 6-12 months they'll just fold it into IGN and lay off all but whatever handful of writers they decide they want to keep.

Ridiculously oversimplified.

Simply put, don't post something without someone's consent and you won't find yourself in this trouble.

Journalism that requires the consent of the person being reported on to publish ceases to be journalism and just becomes PR. Gawker was clearly in the wrong with Hogan, and I would say they were probably even in the wrong with Thiel, but good journalism is going to piss off people from time to time, and sometimes those people are going to be billionaires.

Gawker had the resources to fight and get to the point where they lost, but there are smaller outlets out there who don't have the resources to even fight a billionaire, even if they have a winning case.

Top Bottom