• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker (Kotaku parent) Files for Bankruptcy Protection, Ziff Davis (IGN) wants to buy

Which IGN show should Jason Schreier host?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kadin

surely an editor/editor in chief decides what gets published, right?
Honestly I'm not too sure. When I used to frequent Kotaku a lot, I could have sworn that at the rate at which articles dropped, they were being pushed out simply by the authors who wrote them. This though being such a big article, I imagine someone else had to give the okay to publish it.

And yeah I know that Kotaku didn't run this story, just using them since they're under the same Gawker umbrella.

Apart of me is happy because Gawker is a horrible network. But Kotaku does not deserve to get mixed in with the rest of the Gawker crowd.

Hopefully what ever happens the Kotaku staff get looked after, even if IGN acquire them.

Gawker made their bed and now have to lie in it. I'm sad for Kotaku, but happy for media in general that this means there is at least a limit to the shit sites can now do for clicks.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Look I was/am a games media industry hopeful who never got a "break" besides a year writing for RPGamer, and I don't think it's more about nepotism than other industries out there. No matter where you go, a job will be more about networking and who you know than skillset.

Never said anything about one industry being more than another. But it is almost clockwork when you see old workmates from company A, reunited not long after in another company with one another, doing completely different roles, ironically.

And I agree with you about networking.

Doukou

Honestly I'm not too sure. When I used to frequent Kotaku a lot, I could have sworn that at the rate at which articles dropped, they were being pushed out simply by the authors who wrote them. This though being such a big article, I imagine someone else had to give the okay to publish it.

They had the option to take it down I thought by a judge (initially).
I imagine in that case the higher ups would be in control.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Would the union remain intact if someone else buys? Is there a law that says that sort of thing has to remain, or could a buyer nuke that?

Trojan

Yikes, hope the Kotaku crew end up on their feet. They've got a really talented staff in Totilo, Schreier, Hamilton, Fahey, and Kleptek.

MogCakes

I think the Kotaku staff is leery of interference to their type of work, so either their new owner keeps Kotaku as it is or they bail ship and go their separate ways/reform under a new banner.

ZeroX03

Banned
Any sharp staff would've had their resumes out there as soon as that verdict hit. The good people will be fine, the Gawker empire can crumble.

Feel bad for the good people who work there, especially Kotaku who really do some great stuff.

With that said, Hulk should have won the case and Gawker as a network are disgusting.

SURGEdude

Not having Jezebel's trash journalism pop up on my feed will be nice.

Though I am sad for the decent folks who just happen to work for a site in that network.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
No matter how shitty you think Gawker is, the idea that a billionaire can bury media organisations over a grudge is fucking disgusting.

Or maybe, just maybe. You should think before you post things about a person's private life.

Or, you know, not ignore a court order telling you to take down something.

Halabane

But how will I get my Kinja deals :(

This is the biggest loss. They really did a good job at this and was up front on how it worked. Better than the 'native' ads they were burying in the articles. I think that team will get work elsewhere if need be.

Good timing. Kotaku team will love the coverage of E3😒

Yeah but for E3 they were not really my go to place but true probably not going to help.

Gawker rolled the dice and lost. They thought that the controversy would get clicks. I don't think journalism of a sex tape of an old wrestler is worth a fight. This was pure business and it backfired.

For the Kotaku folks, Brian is already leaving, going to be rough if the places closes up. Not like video game sites are doing all that well. 4

MogCakes

Because in it Hogan went on a horribly racist rant and gawker wanted to reveal the truth about Hogan or some nonsense.

He did go on a racist rant, and it cost him his career. Not to mention the public scandal of sleeping with his friend's wife on that tape, IIRC.

Liamc723

So you're ok with invasion of privacy and defying court orders?

That has nothing to do with the fact that he still considers himself a fan of Hulk Hogan. Who was shown to be a racist.

Anyway, invasion of privacy can be justified under public interest.

No matter how shitty you think Gawker is, the idea that a billionaire can bury media organisations over a grudge is fucking disgusting.

It's Gawker's fault that they poked the proverbial bear by posting about said billionaire's sexual orientation without his consent. Not to mention, their hypocritical stance on posting sexual content; it's okay to defiantly post Hogan's sex tape against judge orders, but it's not okay to post J-Law's nudes.

At this point, I don't even care that it's a billionaire sinking them down. Gawker has always been trash media with little to no ethics to their news reporting (exception being the few sites affiliated with Gawker who had nothing to do with their parent site's stupidity).

FaintDeftone

They basically ruined his career, reputation and legacy by leaking that video. I'm not saying Hulk didn't deserve it, but I can understand why he would want to sue too.

Honestly?
Kotaku was not glorious, but not ad bad as some gaffer depucted it..
I stopped visiting it as the design change Made it unreadable for me..
It will be missed, if nothing else for the lost jobs

Velkyn

Never said anything about one industry being more than another. But it is almost clockwork when you see old workmates from company A, reunited not long after in another company with one another, doing completely different roles, ironically.

Fair enough, I'm just a bit jumpy. I can't tell the difference between "ethics" and ethics in posts anymore.

Holy shit. I forgot life hacker was with Gawker.

What's the best application to download a website? Is it still HTTP track?

Too much good information will fall by the wayside if life hacker goes.

Damn good point. Someone needs to archive this or I won't be able to solve my daily conundrums using mad-science solutions! Seriously.

DorkyMohr

Banned
I never bought their "this is about journalism/the right to know/peter thiel has a grudge" stuff, not surprised the courts didn't either. Gawker just seems like a terrible company to hitch your wagon to.

Top Bottom