• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision is buying Gawker Media for $135M

giphy.gif

Timeaisis

Huh. Interesting. Didn't Univision make another "weird" purchase lately?

EDIT: Yeah, they bought The Onion back in January.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Also isn't Univison owned partially by Televisa (Mexican Television Network)

The ownership stake is quite small currently, I believe. Something like 5-10%. That said, 5-10% of a huge corporation is still very big. Also Televisa controls the soccer rights and by entering into a long term deal with Univision (I think the current deal goes to like 2020 or something), they will undoubtedly expect to see returns due to that. I would not doubt if Univision is doing things in a way Televisa wants in order to keep the soccer contract in good terms.

That said, I have no idea what they would do with Gawker. Probably leave it alone and let it do the "new media" thing it has been and if they lose the appeal write it off as a cost of acquisition.

Quasar

Given ziffs history with videogames, probably a good thing.

Hopefilly the blogs I follow (lifehacker, gizmodo, io9) are allowed to keep on trucking.

SpartanN92

Banned
I didn't know Peter Thiel was involved in this...what's his beef with gawker?

Peter Thiel is on of the paypal founders to anybody who didn't know

AgeEighty

What they did to Pete was inexcusable. Glad he bank rolled Hogan. Karma
came and collected from Gawker.

I think Gawker deserved to lose the Hogan case, but I also think the award in the case was excessive, and I have problems with a rich guy being able to bankrupt a media organization just because they said bad things about him that weren't legally actionable. In his op-ed Thiel claims he has no intention of doing the same thing to any other media outlets, but that may not stop some other well-heeled, thin-skinned person from doing it to another media organization, and for less egregious reasons.

As for what they "did to" Thiel, I think that's debatable. His sexuality was already a pretty open secret in VC circles (which is how the article came about in the first place). And the damage done to him is certainly not equal to the damage done to Gawker or to its former editor.

specdot

The hosts are still hot and I bet the content is still garbage.
Primer Impacto is like a TMZ mixed with national news. Not great. Univision's 6:30 news block is awesome though. Really good reporting and all that. But them ladies them Primer Impacto news anchors are very attractive.

I hope everything works out for Kotaku and their people. I quit Gawker's bullshit years ago but couldn't stop going to Kotaku after awhile.

necrosis

reminder that hulk hogan is a racist that engaged in an extramarital affair and peter thiel is a crazy conservative fuck

Top Bottom