• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision is buying Gawker Media for $135M

I think this is the one of the absolutely, unquestionably best threads GAF has produced in a while. Some A+ material here.

tumblr_mighnzVKM41qbqhhuo1_400.gif

This is one of the greatest GIFs ever. El Chacal was the fucking boss.

Meet the new face of Kotaku ;)
1294255240_0.jpg

Actually, I think he's with Telemundo now.

What!? Holy shit. That's like a player from the Yankees going to the Red Sox, or from Ohio State to Michigan, or from Real Madrid to Barcelona, etc etc.

My mom was legitimately sad during the broadcast of the last show.

This is an amazing gif. BUT, but... Is Thalia in this telenovela? No!? Then it's some D-tier shit :p

I hadn't watched Cristina in about a decade and a half.

At last, Hamilton Nolan's squats will pay off in Gawker's edition of Primer Impacto

190313-4e83579daebbc2fb4ebc08d444aa93b1100689b6-primer-impacto.jpg

Univision, though. Who would've thunk?

I always thought Primer Impacto's stories were trashy as hell. But man, were their "news" readers always smoking hot.

smurfx

get some go again
Seems like an odd pairing on the surface, but supposedly Univision has been trying to branch out beyond Spanish-language stuff, and this certainly seems to back that up.

It's a strange outcome but it could potentially be a better option than Z-D, whom I am sure would have tried to consolidate with their other media properties at some point.
it would be smart to branch out. i wonder how many hispanic millenials are tuning in to univision.

I always thought Primer Impacto's stories were trashy as hell. But man, were their "news" readers always smoking hot.
speaking of that is jackie guerrido still doing the weather?

Daily reminder that Peter Thiel is human garbage and thinks America went downhill because blacks and women got the right to vote.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
This is probably one of the better outcomes they could have hoped for. Univision already has a semi-'edgy' outlet in Fusion, so it's clear they're not particularly concerned with playing nice. Hopefully this means all of the outlets, and Kotaku in particular, can continue business as usual, or at least as close to that as possible.
Job losses will be minimal (5% reduction at most), they'll keep their current offices, and the WGA East union contract will be honored. So there's that.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
¡Felicidades, Kotaku, sobreviven para ver el mañana!

Here's your daily reminder that the Gawker network is mostly composed of horrible sites: Jezebel once posted uncensored images of a woman being raped! They only censored them once called out on it! And only her face!

I take it that you refer to Futbal as soccer or don't have a wife or girlfriend who's really into soap operas outside of America.

Univision is a big network outside of North America and has better reach in here than BBC.

Univision's HQ is in NYC.

They probably live in a hole or on the other side of the world.

Leunam

Kotaco

Nice to see all my Latin American primos come out the woodwork.

Need some Jorge Ramos in this bitch, I'll take his opinions on No Mans Sky from now on.

They've been trash since day one dude. Pretty sure I remember their premier from a long time ago after the news but before las novelas.

They came back from a commercial break leading into a story with "le amputaron el pene" and I was like yeah I see what y'all are about.

AgeEighty

it would be smart to branch out. i wonder how many hispanic millenials are tuning in to univision.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's their thinking. When they acquired the Onion it was clear they were making a fairly aggressive English language media push.

I think Gawker deserved to lose the Hogan case, but I also think the award in the case was excessive, and I have problems with a rich guy being able to bankrupt a media organization just because they said bad things about him that weren't legally actionable. In his op-ed Thiel claims he has no intention of doing the same thing to any other media outlets, but that may not stop some other well-heeled, thin-skinned person from doing it to another media organization, and for less egregious reasons.

As for what they "did to" Thiel, I think that's debatable. His sexuality was already a pretty open secret in VC circles (which is how the article came about in the first place). And the damage done to him is certainly not equal to the damage done to Gawker or to its former editor.

reminder that hulk hogan is a racist that engaged in an extramarital affair and peter thiel is a crazy conservative fuck

These right here. Hulk Hogan's sex tape I can agree being a bad move from Gawker, but the ENTIRE situation boils down to a rich guy with a vendetta against a publication for being outed while publicly supporting ultraconservative and anti-gay causes. Gawker's bankruptcy was a successful revenge plot, not a publication brought to justice.

Teknoman

I take it that you refer to Futbal as soccer or don't have a wife or girlfriend who's really into soap operas outside of America.

Univision is a big network outside of North America and has better reach in here than BBC.

Pretty big for awhile in Texas. On that note, Sabado Gigante stopped airing?

speaking of that is jackie guerrido still doing the weather?

I don't know, I haven't watched Univision in quite some time. Instead, I will leave you with some quality journalistic research work from Ninja Scooter:

GAWKer indeed
Most-Beautiful-News-Anchors-Jackie-Guerrido.jpg

They've been trash since day one dude. Pretty sure I remember their premier from a long time ago after the news but before las novelas.

They came back from a commercial break leading into a story with "le amputaron el pene" and I was like yeah I see what y'all are about.

I got a good chuckle put of your post. Yup, I remember those were the kind of "news stories" they would go for.

Vice

?
Not as many as they would like. Their TV business if mostly older watchers. But, millenials, of all races, consume tons of video on their social media platforms but, there's no good model to monetize it just yet.

Basoes

But what did they really win though? A near-universally reviled brand known for click bait and shoddy, invasive journalism?

Univision sites are the same as Gawker so yea it's a win for them, maybe not for us though

You serious? Univision is very well known in the US. Between Mexico sharing a very large border and Spanish being far and away the second most spoken language here, I would think that should be obvious. I don't know what their reach is in Canada, but they're certainly a big deal in the US.

Top Bottom