• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:

aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Hop: The Latte Segment
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man; Long Dark Dusk by James Smythe

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (August 2016)
What are you reading? (July 2016)
What are you reading? (June 2016)
What are you reading? (May 2016)
What are you reading? (April 2016)
What are you reading? (March 2016)
What are you reading? (February 2016)
What are you reading? (January 2016)
What are you reading? (December 2015)
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

Pau

ZYa3yYJ.jpg

Reading the first in the Great Book of Amber. Like the protagonist, I'm trying to orient myself. :p

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
51xhLO37CKL.jpg

I watched a Silent Hill retrospective awhile ago and this book was cited as one of the influences on the first game. It should be a fun romp.

woodland

Damn. I knew there was some fantasy coming out in September but the next Locke Lamora got delayed and I forgot what else I was looking forward too. ;\

kswiston

I finished Cetaganda today. I am trying to decide whether I just go ahead and buy the novella collection that comes next, or switch to something else.

The Mule

Final book in the trilogy.

3897417938_8a9b95926a_b.jpg

Yes, it's where I took my username from.

ZYa3yYJ.jpg

Reading the first in the Great Book of Amber. Like the protagonist, I'm trying to orient myself. :p

Author of Trumps of Doom? That book seems relevant to recent events in American politics.

I think House of Suns is my favorite Alastair Reynolds book. I read like 5 or 6 books of his in a row a few years back and just got burnt out on him unfortunately. Characters are not his strong-suit, definitely some awesome ideas in those books though.

I'm currently reading Red Rising, so far so good (if a bit predictable).
*fist bump*

Mumei

No.

I looked at some reviews, and I am not sure it's my sort of book. Sounds a bit like the movie Shame, which wasn't really my sort of movie.

I am also not sure it is your sort of book; it's gay literary fiction and its kind of sui generis in terms of its construction and prose. It is hard to know if anyone in particular will be interested in it. But it is also very good, so I suggest it anyway. :)

I went to a talk by the author hosted by a local university last year, and he talked about how he came from poetry and how it affected the way he wrote the book; because he hadn't ever worked on writing prose narratives he'd brought a different sensibility to it. He articulated it better than I am now, but it was particularly interesting in the middle section.

And I have not seen Shame, so I have no idea how they might be similar or different.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
31PH7KDS36L.jpg

Started this today. Always looked forward to reading it since it's so highly regarded.

It starts off so good. The story and characters are immediately engaging.

kswiston

And I have not seen Shame, so I have no idea how they might be similar or different.

I'm sure they are not all that similar. Shame isn't gay fiction. It instead follows a sex addict. However, from the reviews I skimmed, it seems both deal with self loathing stemming from sexuality and upbringing. Shame is a pretty depressing watch, and this book seems like it might be a pretty depressing read.

Mumei

I'm sure they are not all that similar. Shame isn't gay fiction. It instead follows a sex addict. However, from the reviews I skimmed, it seems both deal with self loathing stemming from sexuality and upbringing. Shame is a pretty depressing watch, and this book seems like it might be a pretty depressing read.

Me? Depressing stuff? Never. :)

Nymerio

32439.jpg

Got this recommended by a friend, didn't know there was a movie based on it that I've partly seen. I'm enjoying it so far though.

I apologize to the chaps from the previous thread that quoted me- couldn't get around to replying in time, sorry. :p

Anyways, I'm reading The Hunchback Of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo. No problems with the cast or story so far -decent read- but the numerous interjections that depict 15th century Paris without moving the plot along really hurt my opinion of the novel so far. Reading it for school (in Turkish), so no bailing on it either. I always found history and historical depictions to be incredibly difficult to get a grasp of, and this book is quite weak in that regard: Names I have never heard before sprinkled left and right, architectural terms I am not familiar at all with, etc.- a challenging read, for sure.

Fluvian

Banned
I'm currently re-reading digging up mother by Doug Stanhope, this book is so fucked up yet so god damn funny.
30186792.jpg

Still reading The Name of the Rose. Glad there are sites with the Latin translations for that book.

Been listening to the James Bond books at work.

Seventy70

Can someone recommend me a book where the character(s) are put in isolation? I really like books that take place in one small, but interesting setting. I already read Sphere and thought it had a great atmosphere. I kind of want something with the atmosphere of Metroid where they explore an abandoned spaceship. The book doesn't have to be limited to sci fi, I'm open to anything. That was just an example. The early Metal Gear Solid games are another example of what I love about this kind of setting. In the first one you're trapped on a crazy base in the middle of a blizzard with only a couple of people you can radio who are sitting miles and miles away. I think cozy is the word I'm looking for. The protagonists are safe, but the line between safe and unsafe is very thin. Anyone get what I mean?

KonradLaw

Finished Glen Cook's Shadows Linger, the second volumne of the Black Company cycle
Absolutely loved it. I think it might be my favorite fantasy series of all time. And the inn keeper story is some of the most fun and satisfying character arc I've ever read.

Started to read Linda Nagata's Trials, a second book in the Red trilogy. THe first book had fascinating vision of futuristic warfare as well as simply incredible action-scenes, so I'm pretty excited about the sequel

Can someone recommend me a book where the character(s) are put in isolation? I really like books that take place in one small, but interesting setting. I already read Sphere and thought it had a great atmosphere. I kind of want something with the atmosphere of Metroid where they explore an abandoned spaceship. The book doesn't have to be limited to sci fi, I'm open to anything. That was just an example. The early Metal Gear Solid games are another example of what I love about this kind of setting. In the first one you're trapped on a crazy base in the middle of a blizzard with only a couple of people you can radio who are sitting miles and miles away. I think cozy is the word I'm looking for. The protagonists are safe, but the line between safe and unsafe is very thin. Anyone get what I mean?

You might want to check out Blindsight by Peter Watts.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Currently reading Homicide by David Simon, the book is interesting but is a long one so I will probably be reading it for a while.

31PH7KDS36L.jpg

Started this today. Always looked forward to reading it since it's so highly regarded.

It starts off so good. The story and characters are immediately engaging.

That's a good book.

32439.jpg

Got this recommended by a friend, didn't know there was a movie based on it that I've partly seen. I'm enjoying it so far though.

I like the cover, what's the book about?

Just to be a total dick: I wrote a novel called The Explorer, set on a spaceship, that does this, sort of; but the sequel, The Echo, definitely does this even more.

Making good progress through The Vor Game. Not quite as good as the first three, but it's starting to pick up now that
Miles is back in control again.

ConsiderPhlebas.jpg

Merely read a hundred pages so far.

I read this a few months ago and really didn't like it. There were parts that made me physically ill to read (roughly mid-book spoiler -
the cannibalism tribe on the island
) and the whole book is just full of 130% tension. It never lets up. I get the theme behind the book but it felt so one note and intense, like a single shrill flute sound piercing through my ears.

I wonder if Solaris by Stanislaw Lem would do it for you.

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

51TUSM5iXLL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finished this on the train this morning.

Was OK. Quick and easy read. I have a hard time recommending it. It's written World War Z style, with everything being in interview form, so it sort of reads like a play.

For something that is all dialogue, I thought most of it was really hokey and forced. The main interviewer character is supposed to be this mysterious, badass government guy, but he just comes across as lame. Like an 11 year old trying to talk and sound cool. Really cringe worthy.

By the time it really got interesting (the epilogue, 2 pages), it was already over. I know it's a series but damn, would have liked to see this first book at least go somewhere.

Ratrat

Finished Madamme Bovary and almost done with Cuckoo's Calling.

Regarding Madamme Bovary, maybe Im missing something but
Thank god that idiot is dead!

JC Lately

29D830FE-4A98-4C7E-9846-A9035BBC532F_zps69up4vih.jpg

It's not quite what I expected. Its alt-history novel about what the world would be like had the the Black Death had wiped out 90+% of Europe instead of a 'mere' 60%. I was expecting more of a macro focus on the differences on the world stage, but so far it seems to focus on a more narrow scope. On how this change affects individuals lives and culture. Plus there is whole religion/reincarnatin angle I don't care for. Still an interesting read, but not what I came for.

Finished Glen Cook's Shadows Linger, the second volumne of the Black Company cycle

Absolutely loved it. I think it might be my favorite fantasy series of all time. And the inn keeper story is some of the most fun and satisfying character arc I've ever read.
And the series just keeps getting better from there.

kswiston

29D830FE-4A98-4C7E-9846-A9035BBC532F_zps69up4vih.jpg

It's not quite what I expected. Its alt-history novel about what the world would be like had the the Black Death had wiped out 90+% of Europe instead of a 'mere' 60%. I was expecting more of a macro focus on the differences on the world stage, but so far it seems to focus on a more narrow scope. On how this change affects individuals lives and culture. Plus there is whole religion/reincarnatin angle I don't care for. Still an interesting read, but not what I came for.

I debated picking that book up a few months back, but I couldn't get over the silly white people black death concept that the book is founded on. Germany and England took some of the lightest losses of the actual pandemic out of the various developed Eurasian society to be hit. Some areas of China had 80-90% losses. It was largely based on population density, climate, and where you happened to fall on the busy trade routes.

Also, some reviews mention Robinson wasting the premise. Instead of envisioning how history would have differed under Muslim and Chinese dominance, he sort of divvies up the things that Europe did between the two and focuses on a few characters instead. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

JC Lately

I debated picking that book up a few months back, but I couldn't get over the silly white people black death concept that the book is founded on. Germany and England took some of the lightest losses of the actual pandemic out of the various developed Eurasian society to be hit. Some areas of China had 80-90% losses. It was largely based on population density, climate, and where you happened to fall on the busy trade routes.

Well, yeah. That would be the alt part of alt history.

Also, some reviews mention Robinson wasting the premise. Instead of envisioning how history would have differed under Muslim and Chinese dominance, he sort of divvies up the things that Europe did between the two and focuses on a few characters instead. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

From what I've read so far, it's definitely seems to be heading in that direction. Seems like a mistake to me, but I'm not even half done with the book yet, so I can give Robinson the benefit of the doubt for now. Will report back once I read more.

kswiston

Well, yeah. That would be the alt part of alt history.

I'm one of those people that believes that Alt History needs to be based on believable changes. There's no plausible way to explain the Bubonic plague wiping out Europe and leaving the Middle East intact.

Matty77

Just started The Fireman, so far enjoying it, Hill is my favorite author at the moment so no suprise there.

5174GQsw2oL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished this one. Pretty interesting stuff, definitely did not know all the struggles SpaceX and Tesla had getting off the ground

If you're interested in reading about either of these companies or Musk, I highly recommend getting it sooner than later, obviously this book is going to seem pretty dated in a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom