• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent |OT| of "click here if you like Professor Layton"

Wizpig

"A Puzzling Adventure with a Twist"

Developer Featurette [Graham Annable and Mark Darin]
E3 2010 Trailer (you should definitely watch this!)

What is Puzzle Agent?

In Puzzle Agent, players take on the role of Nelson Tethers, the lead (and only) agent in the US Department of Puzzle Research70kg1stone i, sent on a rare field assignment to Scoggins, Minnesota to investigate why output at the town's eraser factory - the factory that supplies the White House with all its erasers - has come to a screeching halt. The game combines brainteasers that include mazes, puzzles, logic and riddles, intertwined to tell an engrossing, twisted mystery story - all presented with Graham Annable's unique narrative and visual sensibilities and the distinctive Telltale style.

Puzzle Agent combines generous doses of Nordic folklore, and an X-Files style mystery along with major influences of Professor-Layton inspired puzzling, David Lynch, the Coen brothers and a dash of Stanley Kubrick. And gnomes.

What's the price?

$9.95 for PC/Mac - and you can preorder it from Telltale Games *click*; oh, there's also a preorder offer.

Platform(s)?!

PC/Mac are probably going to be the first two platforms (link is above) ... then WiiWare, iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad!

25681e417d2d27827cc9440f4ee180f0.jpg

How about an ETA?

"Expected in June 2010" ... so yeah, like, one of these days! but this is probably for PC/Mac only; don't ask me.

edit as of 06/28/2010

Jake said:
PC/Mac will be launching in (obviously) just a couple days. iOS platforms and Wii will follow a bit after that (as they go through submission, etc).

You heard the man.

I like the art-style.

Ok, check out the webcomic Graham Annable is doing for TTG, then; it's unrelated, but pretty funny.
Also, here's a bunch of official and Puzzle Agent related screens...

diner_dialog.jpg

fbi_lobby.jpg

map_scoggins.jpg

nelson_office.jpg

PuzzAgent_puzzled_patron.jpg

PuzzAgent_glori_puzzle.jpg

PuzzAgent_hidden_person.jpg

PuzzAgent_gnegative_puzzle.jpg

PuzzAgent_tapeworm_puzzle.jpg

What can I do while waiting for this to release?

Check out the aforementioned webcomic, or some of Graham Annable's videos right here... oh and maybe you can send Nelson Tethers himself a friend request on Facebook ;D

V_Ben

Banned
I've had this pre-ordered since they had it up on their store. I couldn't get more excited for this :) can't wait to play an original ip from telltale :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I need a release date, Telltale!

Wizpig

hamchan said:
I like Profesor Layton and Telltale games!
Is it on steam yet?
Heh, I didn't even write the platforms the game will be on, I need to update already :lol (PC, Mac, WiiWare, iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad... and well, I'm sure it will come out on Steam too, but no, it's not out yet)

edit. But yeah, coming out to Steam the same day the game releases on TTG.com, apparently.

Jake

PC/Mac will be launching in (obviously) just a couple days. iOS platforms and Wii will follow a bit after that (as they go through submission, etc).

Layton + Telltale + wacky Lynchian influence = definite buy. So many platforms, but I'll probably get it for iPod touch first, then get the PC version when I get back to my gaming PC in the fall.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wizpig said:
September 20 is pretty far away, so yeah, I'm happy with the release of Puzzle Agent :D
oh, wow. didn't realise it was (relatively) so soon. good times for puzzle games.

Twig

Banned
Jake said:
yessssss

been waiting for this with much anticipation x:

Wizpig

Rez said:
oh, wow. didn't realise it was (relatively) so soon. good times for puzzle games.
Yeah, I know!
But Layton 2 came out in the US at the end of the summer, at a perfect time for that kind of game... this one, meh, it's basically going to be October...

ArjanN

Profesor Layton goes to Twin Peaks. Can't wait, even though usually I don't like adventure games where the puzzles are so abstract.

Wizpig

The one and only thing I have my doubts on is music: this game comes out on WiiWare too, and WiiWare has, like, a 40 MB limit.

Music is usually cut and/or less prominent in WiiWare games, and of course the music will be the same for the other versions of the game, too.
Tales of Monkey Island featured lots of music loops for this reason, I think.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
DeaconKnowledge said:
I'd prefer to have this on a handheld, frankly.

yea i like playing these types of games on the go but thank GOD i moved into an apartment with a wii. looks ill.

Twig

Banned
ArjanN said:
Profesor Layton goes to Twin Peaks.
I preordered this game before I even knew what Twin Peaks was, and didn't really know how to describe the vibe I was getting from the trailer to friends.

Coincidentally, I started watching Twin Peaks a few weeks ago (and finished it a few days ago), and yeah. I'm even more excited about this game now.

Wizpig said:
The one and only thing I have my doubts on is music: this game comes out on WiiWare too, and WiiWare has, like, a 40 MB limit.

Music is usually cut and/or less prominent in WiiWare games, and of course the music will be the same for the other versions of the game, too.
Tales of Monkey Island featured lots of music loops for this reason, I think.
It'd be a damn shame for any version to not have the complete soundtrack included. It's really good.

Dragmire

I'm really excited about this. Grickle + Telltale = Awesome. Reminds me of the kind of stuff Lucasarts used to do (artists + adventure games).

Twig

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Looks great. I said I'll support telltale when they start coming up with their own stories and characters and here we have it!
So what you're saying is that you've been missing out on some of the best adventure games ever because Telltale didn't invent the characters?

Baffling.

Wizpig

Mr. B Natural said:
Looks great. I said I'll support telltale when they start coming up with their own stories and characters and here we have it!
Buy Tales of Monkey Island nooooooooooooooooooooow

Wizpig

From the other thread.

Jake said:
Steam asked that we hold off the Steam release so it doesn't get buried by the Steam sales going on right now, but it'll be there shortly.

Also, from the other forum:

Will said:
Howdy puzzlers. It's almost certainly coming today, but it probably won't be before noon PST. So for those of you in Oz, don't wait up!

Oh, and just to clarify this is for Mac and PC on our site only. The rest of the platforms and such will be coming later (but hopefully not too much later).

"click here if you like Professor Layton"? That's what they said about Blue Toad Murder Files...

Seriously though, this looks like good stuff. Can't wait to see what else the Pilot Program throws up.

Peff

Will said that it'll be released in around 3-4 hours fifteen minutes ago, so I guess I'll just be able to play it a bit today. Ah, well.

Thanks for this topic. Looks interesting and waiting for first impressions.

I wish there was a short demo with few of the puzzles so I have an idea of how the puzzles are.

bigmit3737 said:
Thanks for this topic. Looks interesting and waiting for first impressions.

I wish there was a short demo with few of the puzzles so I have an idea of how the puzzles are.

Well it's TTG, and with that comes some assurance of quality. That's enough for me!

Top Bottom