• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Rolf NB

BattleMonkey said:
Putting back in KZ2 earlier, i'm just not seeing whats better. The blur was more pronounced and it had a much grimmer industrialized art direction. But KZ3 blows it away.

Also god damn KZ2 is a laggy ass game (lagzone), the net code in KZ3 is far far better. Though god damn the KZ2 maps were fantastic.
I felt the campaign was a lot stronger. Especially all that crawling through urban areas with frequently changing environments, in terms of scales and pathing. Beach assault in daylight with a full team of AI sidekicks, , to arc tower assault, to crossing the heavily fortified street, to close-quarter mass madness upstairs at night, to defending the encampment (multiple entry points for enemies yay). Killzone 3's campaign feels utterly tame for far too long in comparison.

My fave level is the scrapyard, but that would be a great first or second level, not necessarily some back-half business. It also doesn't hold a candle to the similarly toned and paced Suljeva thing in KZ2.

Visually, KZ3's cruiser level is jawdropping. It immediately pissed me off with those fucking flood enemies though. Exploding ankle-high kamikaze assholes are pretty much the worst enemy design in every shooter, and yet they keep getting placed in shooters for whatever reason.

The MP netcode is great, I agree. I just don't like the new maps, and the balancing decisions (or lack thereof). It's still way, way too rewarding to just spam rockets/grenades/C4, and it's still way too inviting for campers.
In KZ2 you could tone it down by disabling assault and limiting the player count. KZ3 doesn't have the proper tools yet to sanitize the game.

Dahbomb

Man no offense but you guys seem really salty over Killzone 3. Game has great graphics and good game play, just like the previous one. Can't comment on the story or Multiplayer, haven't finished the game yet. Deadzone on the aiming seems improved as well which is a big plus for me (if true, I remember when I first played Killzone 2 and was weirded out by the input lag).

Playing on Veteran and it's just right for me. Game still looks better than 99% of console games out there.

BeeDog

Dahbomb said:
Man no offense but you guys seem really salty over Killzone 3. Game has great graphics and good game play, just like the previous one. Can't comment on the story or Multiplayer, haven't finished the game yet. Deadzone on the aiming seems improved as well which is a big plus for me (if true, I remember when I first played Killzone 2 and was weirded out by the input lag).

Playing on Veteran and it's just right for me. Game still looks better than 99% of console games out there.

While I personally don't have anything against all the complaints since many things are valid (particularly on the MP side), I can't fully relate to them since I've had tons of fun with this single-player campaign, and some fun during my short time in the MP mode (which I'll get back to eventually).

Barrett2

Just finished the campaign. Wow...

One of the worst overall games I have played in a long time. Are you kidding with that final 20 minutes? You could not possibly have designed a worse final 'level' to a game if you tried. The entire final sequence was a joke.

This game was boring, the story was completely inane and pointless, weapons all felt exactly the same, combat is nothing more than repetitive whack-a-mole with absolutely zero flexibility in how you approach or kill the enemies.

For all it's faults, KZ2 was superior to this. I have zero desire to revisit this series ever again. Ugh.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oni Jazar said:
FUCK THIS GAME.

I'm at the snow level and have been for some time now because it keeps crashing on me right before lowering that platform after iceberg hopping. Hard freezes where I have to shut off the PS3 to get things back to normal.

Once it didn't freeze but it wouldn't trigger the next action. Kept telling me to walk to the waypoint which I kept jumping up and down on. Then it froze. Wouldn't be the end of the world if the fucking game had better checkpoints when you started up. So every time it crashes I have to and blow up the AA guns again. To add final insult to injury that's the only level where I can't use Move because the jetpack is fucked up.

Play Call of Duty or KZ2 and come back to KZ3. No, seriously. Apparently it's some disk cache issue that's in the ps3 firmware. Playing some other game will clear the cache up.

(They made me post this; no idea if this will actually work)

Oni Jazar

Tempy said:
Play Call of Duty or KZ2 and come back to KZ3. No, seriously. Apparently it's some disk cache issue that's in the ps3 firmware. Playing some other game will clear the cache up.

(They made me post this; no idea if this will actually work)

I played some other games, wiped the disc and got through it this morning thanks. Now I got to the part after lowering the bridge and jumping around a bit and had to quit. Hopefully the game saved my progress and I won't have to blow up the AA gun again.

OSHAN

Finished it last night on Vet and I thought the campaign was great overall; I especially liked the snow level; junkyard; mobile factory and MAWRL. I did not care for the final segments of the game, and the ending, if you want to call it that, made little sense. I understand what happened, but it made little sense to end the game like that.

Overall, one of the better single player campaigns I've played through this gen, but that's from a gameplay perspective. The narrative was terrible, and I can't get over how poorly the cutscenes were constructed.

Shooting shit felt great though; it's too bad they couldn't nail the story and pacing.

Barrett2

OSHAN said:
Finished it last night on Vet and I thought the campaign was great overall; I especially liked the snow level; junkyard; mobile factory and MAWRL. I did not care for the final segments of the game, and the ending, if you want to call it that, made little sense. I understand what happened, but it made little sense to end the game like that.

Overall, one of the better single player campaigns I've played through this gen, but that's from a gameplay perspective. The narrative was terrible, and I can't get over how poorly the cutscenes were constructed.

Shooting shit felt great though; it's too bad they couldn't nail the story and pacing.
I'm still not entirely clear on who 'Jammer' is. For some reason, her character was hilarious to me the entire campaign. Sort of like a friend of a friend that you always see at parties or social events, but never talk to, even though you see each other enough to where you should probably introduce yourself.

OSHAN

lawblob said:
I'm still not entirely clear on who 'Jammer' is. For some reason, her character was hilarious to me the entire campaign. Sort of like a friend of a friend that you always see at parties or social events, but never talk to, even though you see each other enough to where you should probably introduce yourself.

Yeah, it didnt' make any sense. Why develop a character -- and I'm using the word develop very loosely here -- when their sole purpose is just to bail characters out of situations? I mean, why even take the time to design her? Some dude in a ski mask would have served the same purpose.

I laughed right out loud near the latter half of the game and her craft gets shot down and there is a rather brutal crash but it is "just a flesh wound."

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
lawblob said:

One of the worst overall games I have played in a long time. Are you kidding with that final 20 minutes? You could not possibly have designed a worse final 'level' to a game if you tried. The entire final sequence was a joke.

This game was boring, the story was completely inane and pointless, weapons all felt exactly the same, combat is nothing more than repetitive whack-a-mole with absolutely zero flexibility in how you approach or kill the enemies.

For all it's faults, KZ2 was superior to this. I have zero desire to revisit this series ever again. Ugh.

I'm not here to defend KZ3, but most of your complaints could be levied against 98% of FPS nowadays. I can't believe a game like HL2 can exist for 6+ years and yet no game can sniff its boots.

Barrett2

commish said:
I'm not here to defend KZ3, but most of your complaints could be levied against 98% of FPS nowadays. I can't believe a game like HL2 can exist for 6+ years and yet no game can sniff its boots.

Yeah, I think i've just hit my limit with bro-shooters. In my opinion, we have reached the post-COD4 tipping point of these games just mimicking each other. I found both this and Black Ops to be completely insufferable. At least I could force myself to finish this campaign, I was so bored with Black Ops I didn't even bother. The visuals were at least so good in this I was interested in seeing what each area looked like.

And circling back to the story, the more I think about it the worse it is. You are involved in the invasion of an alien world, yet most of the "tension" in the story comes from the constant, yet completely inconsequential bickering between soldiers and their squad leaders. It was like an action movie where every ten minutes they had to bring back the rookie cop into the commissioner's office to replay the same confrontation: "you're out of control, kid!" "I don't play by the rules, man, I get results!!"

OSHAN said:
Yeah, it didnt' make any sense. Why develop a character -- and I'm using the word develop very loosely here -- when their sole purpose is just to bail characters out of situations? I mean, why even take the time to design her? Some dude in a ski mask would have served the same purpose.

I laughed right out loud near the latter half of the game and her craft gets shot down and there is a rather brutal crash but it is "just a flesh wound."

I loved when the thirty foot tidal wave hits Sev and not only does it not hurt him in any way, it didn't affect his perfectly manicured fauxhawk.

OSHAN

landolakes_consumer_logo.jpg

jammer-a-kz3-character-248x150.jpg

OSHAN said:

Actually I find Jammer to be the least offensive of the characters. Sev's turn around to Nathan SevDrako rubbed me the wrong way through the campaign. Natko for some reason was cut entirely and only to be seen as the split screen character like the black dude in R:FoM. Which leads me to believe that he and Sev fused together after KZ2 so Sev could gain his humor. Now after axing one of the characters they introduce the noticeably lower res
Hooper
who weaves his way in and out of the narrative so effortlessly that
ends up surviving
. Also WTF happened to
Narville in the end? Are we to assume he was riding in the Nuke and was shot at Stahl's ship by Rico?

OSHAN

Dubbedinenglish said:
Actually I find Jammer to be the least offensive of the characters. Sev's turn around to Nathan SevDrako rubbed me the wrong way through the campaign. Natko for some reason was cut entirely and only to be seen as the split screen character like the black dude in R:FoM. Which leads me to believe that he and Sev fused together after KZ2 so Sev could gain his humor. Now after axing one of the characters they introduce the noticeably lower res
Hooper
who weaves his way in and out of the narrative so effortlessly that
ends up surviving
. Also WTF happened to
Narville in the end? Are we to assume he was riding in the Nuke and was shot at Stahl's ship by Rico?

It is easy for a character to be the least offensive when they say nothing interesting and have no back story.

Zimbardo

Sev must be one of the most uninteresting/boring/forgettable main characters that i've ever seen in a big budget 1st party franchise.

Look to Nathan Drake on how it should be done.

Massa

Zimbardo said:
Sev must be one of the most uninteresting/boring/forgettable main characters that i've ever seen in a big budget 1st party franchise.

Apples to oranges. Killzone is a war game about the Helghast.

CozMick

Banned
Zimbardo said:

I would actually give that award to Marcus Fenix.

Zimbardo said:

Not much different from pretty much every FPS on the market, majority of which have a silent protagonist. FPS genre tends to have awful characters for the most part, and sadly the only interesting characters tend to be everyone else in these games it seems. Crysis 2 while being great so far dissapointed me again with a completely silent character and no explanation why.

OSHAN

Yeah I like Sev fine. I'm glad he has a face I can see and he isn't cracking jokes all the time. I didn't hate him, so that's a plus.

I forgot to mention I liked the rolling grenade sound effect. It's a simple addition, and it seems to be the same sound regardless of surface, but it's a great audio cue to move.

Massa

To expand on my previous post, while Killzone overall is about the conflict with the Helghast the story in Killzone 3 is a direct sequel to Killzone 2,
where the goal of the ISA is to get the hell out while the Helghast is shown to be much more powerful than they thought.
To tell that story they portray:

(a) the ISA side by focusing on the conflict between Rico and Narville representing two different ways of dealing with the situation, with tension between the two constantly thorughout the game
until it explodes in one of the late chapters in one of the highlights of the story. That's when Sev actually steps up, until that point his role was mainly secondary so he's not comparable to someone like Nathan Drake at all, and he shouldn't be.

(b) the Helghast side as it deals with the succession of Visari and the battle for power between Stahl and Orlock. That could have been more interesting if the two actually had different ideals or a stronger point of conflict other than
"I want the power to destroy the ISA". How cool would it have been if the conflict was between Visari's daughter wanting to focus on rebuilding Helghan and Stahl being the "let's get revenge" guy?

I think creating these two conflicts on both sides was a great idea to make the story more interesting, even if it was badly explored.

The story overall I thought had a lot of interesting moments, like the opening,
the discovery that Earth and not Vekta was Stahl's target, the voice acting and dialog between the four characters I mentioned above was generally top notch, the ISA capitulating, the realization that the big powerful launch we saw at the beginning of KZ2 was down to 60 soldiers (through a terrible Sev speech, though), the moment where the game made you think everyone else had just been killed, etc.
Honestly I thought the story was okay for what I was expecting, though it's sad that after 4 games they still can't do justice in the actual games to the backstory and universe they created.

The story was also badly structured (6 months ago? Now? 6 Months later? What? - the opening chapter shouldn't have been there at all), had some "lol - I can't believe they're saying that" moments and completely failed to show the Helghast as a nation rather than just British soldiers, which is inexcusable after two games in Helghan (
though I wonder if the ending had something to do with civilians not being shown at all
).

Massa

lawblob said:

You're crazy.

I won't comment on the story other than to say - yeah, I don't expect anyone that isn't big on the universe already to get a lot out of it (well, and what I just said in the post above).

Now, the gunplay is extremely satisfying. The weapons offer great variety and no two weapons feel the same at all. Even the standard ISA and HIG assault rifles feel totally different to me - not to mention the power weapons you get to play with - the WASP, bolt gun, LMG, the sniper rifle, the petrusite gun. The pistols are all great too - did you even use the shotgun pistol? It's so satisfying. Or the machine pistol? Did you use the jet pack to take out the ATAC instead of hiding in a small building like in Killzone 2?

The level design was also fantastic, particularly towards the game. I played the game twice so far and differently each time. I loved isolating the enemies and then killing them with Brutal Melee. Of course you could just sit behind cover shooting guys but this game gives you several options to do much more than that.

Massa said:
The level design was also fantastic, particularly towards the game. I played the game twice so far and differently each time. I loved isolating the enemies and then killing them with Brutal Melee. Of course you could just sit behind cover shooting guys but this game gives you several options to do much more than that.

KZ3 has the worst level design I've seen in a game since Bioshock 2.

In fact, KZ3 in general brings back a lot of the same feelings I felt after playing Bioshock 2.

The Interrobanger said:
KZ3 has the worst level design I've seen in a game since Bioshock 2.

In fact, KZ3 in general brings back a lot of the same feelings I felt after playing Bioshock 2.

Bad level design in a corridor shooter? lol

Barrett2

Massa said:
You're crazy.

I won't comment on the story other than to say - yeah, I don't expect anyone that isn't big on the universe already to get a lot out of it (well, and what I just said in the post above).

Now, the gunplay is extremely satisfying. The weapons offer great variety and no two weapons feel the same at all. Even the standard ISA and HIG assault rifles feel totally different to me - not to mention the power weapons you get to play with - the WASP, bolt gun, LMG, the sniper rifle, the petrusite gun. The pistols are all great too - did you even use the shotgun pistol? It's so satisfying. Or the machine pistol? Did you use the jet pack to take out the ATAC instead of hiding in a small building like in Killzone 2?

I thought the plasma gun and shotgun pistol were cool, but I hated the way they nerfed the primary machine guns you use. They had zero recoil or "feel." Makes me mad, because that's one of the things I enjoyed about KZ2, that the guns had recoil. Im' glad they got rid of the deadzone with the guns, but I think they went too far with the recoil reduction.

Not sure I agree about the level design. While I agree that most levels were very pretty, it felt like I was doing the exact same thing over and over, running down corridors, find cover, wait for dudes to pop up, shoot them in the head, rinse / repeat.

I also thought the vehicle sections were terrible. There was nothing tactical about it, you just spammed in whatever direction you thought the bullets were coming from.

Massa

lawblob said:
I thought the plasma gun and shotgun pistol were cool, but I hated the way they nerfed the primary machine guns you use. They had zero recoil or "feel." Makes me mad, because that's one of the things I enjoyed about KZ2, that the guns had recoil. Im' glad they got rid of the deadzone with the guns, but I think they went too far with the recoil reduction.

Not sure I agree about the level design. While I agree that most levels were very pretty, it felt like I was doing the exact same thing over and over, running down corridors, find cover, wait for dudes to pop up, shoot them in the head, rinse / repeat.

I also thought the vehicle sections were terrible. There was nothing tactical about it, you just spammed in whatever direction you thought the bullets were coming from.

They didn't nerf the guns. The recoil is nearly the same for most weapons (for the M82 it's exactly the same, I haven't accurately compared the others). What they changed in KZ3 is that you don't lose as much accuracy when moving. That doesn't hurt the feel of the weapons in the single player; on the contrary, it lets you move around more instead of just sitting behind cover, as you can still effectively kill helghasts as you move from one cover to the other (or you could just run and slide around, which I found just as fun).

The mounted weapons are the ones that have no recoil, as they're mounted. They still don't have recoil when you grab them though, tiddles explained here that the reason for that is that the player is completely attached to the weapon. Kind of disappointing I agree, but not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things imo (it's just the machine gun that's negatively affected).

The two on-rails sections (on ice level and after the
MAWLR battle
) don't require a lot of tactics but fast reactions instead. They were both such beautiful spectacles, short and fun to play. The one sequence I could do without was the snowmobile one. I also enjoyed the mech and the space combat sections, but those were in Killzone 2 as well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Cataferal said:
Whatever happened to FFObsessed? I remember him being all over the K2 boards.

Does he not like this one?

hates it. he rages on the chat all the time about it. :D

Massa said:
They didn't nerf the guns. The recoil is nearly the same for most weapons (for the M82 it's exactly the same, I haven't accurately compared the others). What they changed in KZ3 is that you don't lose as much accuracy when moving. That doesn't hurt the feel of the weapons in the single player; on the contrary, it lets you move around more instead of just sitting behind cover, as you can still effectively kill helghasts as you move from one cover to the other (or you could just run and slide around, which I found just as fun).

Recoil or no recoil, the pumped up sticky aim and lower player health require less "control" over the gun & its recoil; hence it's much easier to spray & pray in this game and do well.

The guns may look like they have recoil, but what's the point if the crosshair stays right on target? In KZ2 you have to fire in controlled bursts to be effective. In KZ3 you just hold down R1 until your opponent dies. Which only takes about 2 seconds with the lower health in this game.

Massa

alr1ghtstart said:
hates it. he rages on the chat all the time about it. :D

Recoil or no recoil, the pumped up sticky aim and lower player health require less "control" over the gun & its recoil; hence it's much easier to spray & pray in this game and do well.

Right, I was talking about the single player campaign. :p

Massa

H_Prestige said:
The guns may look like they have recoil, but what's the point if the crosshair stays right on target? In KZ2 you have to fire in controlled bursts to be effective. In KZ3 you just hold down R1 until your opponent dies. Which only takes about 2 seconds with the lower health in this game.

The crosshairs most definitely don't stay right on target, that's why the recoil is there. If you just hold the trigger with the LMG you'll spray all over the place. If you hold with the M82 you'll also be far less effective, as anyone who moves from the M82 to the M82SE realizes.

The health difference between KZ2 and KZ3 with armor is minimal. It's the lack of lag that accounts for most of the difference in my experience (compare Skirmish in KZ2 with KZ3 online, you'll be surprised). It's also much easier to get headshots with KZ2's hit detection, and because you have health regen in KZ3 it's also much easier to stay alive if you're a good shooter.

teepo

H_Prestige said:

recoil is different in single than it is in multi, with the former being the subject of the recoil.

what you've described hasn't been the case for me on the hard difficulty.

A.R.K

So when are we getting custom games? I am sick of getting in to games where players are using rockets/C4s in tiny rooms and spamming with them near the objectives. And I am tired of walking miles to get to the objectives and dying as soon as I get there with rockets/C4s. What a shitty design descision GG. I will admit there is a good MP under all this crappy layer of bad design. They just need to take that shit off.

Come on give us the savior patch already GG!!

alr1ght

5556078917_58f9c7e460_z.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...ast-edition-march-for-helghan-ii-sweepstakes/
To show our appreciation to all you Killzone fans, we will be holding a “March for Helghan II Sweepstakes,” where you have a chance to win a Killzone 3 Limited Helghast Edition just for playing Killzone 3 online multiplayer. Starting Friday, March 25th (that’s tomorrow!) and running through Sunday, April 10th, we’ll be giving away 10 Limited Helghast Editions each day for 17 straight days. Members of the Killzone 3 team will log on to PlayStation Network throughout the sweepstakes and randomly select players in multiplayer matches. We will not select players more than once during the sweepstakes, and will notify winners via the email address associated with their PSN account.

So, log on and play Killzone 3 online multiplayer for a chance to win! Check out the full rules below.

See you online!

The following promotion is intended for viewing in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia only and will be construed and evaluated according to United States law. Do not enter this contest if you are not a legal resident of, and located in, the 50 United States or the District of Columbia at the time of entry.

hmm i do but i don't

Acrylic7

ZephyrFate said:
Crysis 2 is gonna have to duke it out with this game for outright gorgeousness on consoles. God, KZ3 is stunning.
I still say KZ2 is better in every department. I liked my Grey motion blur.

KZ2/kz3 look like crysis with a spray of shit all over them, the textures chap anus. i.e crysis is the console graphics king, and it achieves that with bigger environments to boot.

nib95

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
KZ2/kz3 look like crysis with a spray of shit all over them, the textures chap anus. i.e crysis is the console graphics king, and it achieves that with bigger environments to boot.

Where the fuck are these Junior's coming from? GameFAQ's or GT crowd?

I've got kz2 on ps3 and crysis on xbox360/pc.

Haven't played kz3 but judging from this thread it ain't all that.

Kz2 is a laggy, control delayed mess of mud.

Nice lighting though.

Console crysis looks much crisper and nicer than kz2. Haven't played ps3 crysis.

alr1ght

Igor Antunov said:
I've got kz2 on ps3 and crysis on xbox360/pc.

Haven't played kz3 but judging from this thread it ain't all that.

Kz2 is a laggy, control delayed mess of mud.

Nice lighting though.

Console crysis looks much crisper and nicer than kz2. Haven't played ps3 crysis.

again, oh junior, at least play the games if you're going to troll.

Killzone 3 looks better than KZ2 by quite a long way IMO. Some effects have been dialed down (blur, hit response physics) while others have got much better (textures, lighting). If the single player gets patched so that the sound issues are corrected, I think it'll stand ahead of Crysis 2 both visually, and on a technical level (how it runs).

The multiplayer is a different kettle of fish. It looks lovely, but it has a lot of issues that make it feel a bit 'damn'.

I also think God of War III is better looking (technically, visually etc). Its much more detailed, the scale of the game is ridiculous, the animation is better, it has insane lighting, a better AA solution and a better overall frame-rate.

Acrylic7 said:
I still say KZ2 is better in every department. I liked my Grey motion blur.
And I think KZ3's Kaznan Jungle and arctic environments are the best thing to ever come out for consoles in their entire history.

kuYuri

Any party of gaffers playing KZ3 right now? Looking for people to play with.

I haven't played online yet, but I've played plenty of KZ2 online, so I have an idea of how to play.

Top Bottom