• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Detroit named most miserable US city

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. Mock if old.

1- Detroit
2- Flint, Mich.
3- Rockford, Ill.
4- Chicago, Ill.
5- Modesto, Cali.
6- Vallejo, Cali.
7- Warren, Mich.
8- Stockton, Cali
9- Lake County, Ill.
10- New York, N.Y.
11- Toledo, Ohio
12- St. Louis, Mo.
13- Camden, N.J.
14- Milwaukee, Wisc.
15- Atlantic City, NJ
16- Atlanta, Ga.
17- Cleveland, Ohio
18- Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
19- Gary, Ind.
20- Youngstown, OH

On Detroit:

Two years later, Detroit’s problems continue to multiply, sadly. It is still dealing with high levels of violent crime and unemployment. Home prices, already at historic lows, plummeted a further 35% during the past three years to a median of $40,000 as net migration out of the city continued.

The latest blow was Tuesday’s announcement that the city is on the verge of being taken over by the state. Detroit is in a financial emergency and cannot pay its bills. The city has been issuing debt to fund day-to-day operations. The continuing problems propelled Detroit to the top spot in our 2013 ranking of America’s Most Miserable Cities.

Why Chicago and NYC are on there:

Two cities on our list, Chicago (No. 4) and New York (No. 10) may surprise readers, though they’ve been here before. Both offer a myriad of opportunities and positives as the homes of financial centers, world-class culture, leading universities, sports teams galore and high-end restaurants. But it isn’t easy living in either city, particularly if you don’t earn a lot of money (even if you do it can be tough).

It's a shame to see Chicago on that list. If it wasn't for all the murders and shit politics that city would shine.

Edit: whoa I just saw Lake County. I didn't expect to see that. I wonder why.

20121025.gif

What are the arguments against deploying the national guard to keep the violence down until the city can come up with some serious long term strategies to combat all the violence.

H3xum

How is Cleveland not higher on that list?

Edit: haha I just read others commenting on Cleveland before me. Poor city

What are the arguments against deploying the national guard to keep the violence down until the city can come up with some serious long term strategies to combat all the violence.

Concern over sending US forces into a 3rd world warzone.

Also, that would kinda be like Martial Law, which can only be enforced in situations where the courts are not able to run normally, according to a SCOTUS ruling. I know, maybe it wouldn't be martial law, but a bit too close for comfort.

Now, if marauding packs of bandits took over the court house, then we could send in troops.

Not surprised to see Detroit on there. I had work there and

Surprised to see Buffalo managed to elude that list. My first hand experience with Buffalo had me wanting to shoot myself after a few months in that fucking insufferable town. Everytime this topic comes up here, the Buffalo defense squad suddenly appears and there are 15 people here that will tell you that Buffalo is a lovely quaint little place. But I lived there and can tell you it's Satan's asshole (as faras US cities go, not world wide - I am sure there are worse world wide).

Poughkeepsie? Spent time there too, and, agreed. But if Poughkeepsie then why isn't Syracuse on there because Syracuse is Satan's taint.

I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with many others on that list. Only commenting on Buffalo because I was there and seen some shit.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't see how Gary, Indiana isn't always in the top 5. And I wonder if St. Louis is including East St. Louis? If not, that also needs to be in the top 5.

I mean come on, you can't say that Milwaukee is actually worse than Gary in any category.

lol yeah, Chicago is home to the worst people in the US, it belongs on the list.
In Chicago, people honk at you while driving by you for no reason. They honk as soon as the light turns green. They honk if you stop at a red light. They honk if you go the speed limit. I hate driving in Chicago. A woman actually drove next to my wife, rolled down her window, and shouted "BITCH!" five times for no reason at all - we were just driving straight.

Mindwipe

Isn’t it weird how in retrospect the most implausible part of Robocop is that anyone would spend that much money trying to stop crime in Detroit, rather than sadly letting the place just collapse?

NYC in top ten? Wooooooo
In Chicago, people honk at you while driving by you for no reason. They honk as soon as the light turns green. They honk if you stop at a red light. They honk if you go the speed limit. I hate driving in Chicago. A woman actually drove next to my wife, rolled down her window, and shouted "BITCH!" five times for no reason at all - we were just driving straight.
Jesus Christ

What a bitch(the crazy lady, not your wife).

Isn’t it weird how in retrospect the most implausible part of Robocop is that anyone would spend that much money trying to stop crime in Detroit, rather than sadly letting the place just collapse?

Well, Robocop was released when people still had hope. Once Detroit elected and then re-elected a gangster mayor, all pretense flew out the door.

Pagusas

Elden Member

yup! I live about 3 hours south of Chicago and am grateful I only visit to see the nice parts. Just walking around there out side the "tourist" area is a joke and the feels like worst of humanity all bundled up and force into a compact area.

gdt

I was in Philly recently and took the bridge into Camden by mistake (and it cost $5 to go back >_<) and it was like I crossed the border to Iraq.

lil smoke

Banned
I was in Philly recently and took the bridge into Camden by mistake (and it cost $5 to go back >_<) and it was like I crossed the border to Iraq.

My bro lived near Camden for awhile.

Yeah it is another world and I'm from DC. We were driving thru at 8 in the morning during a school week, children were out fron of a building drinking 40s.

GRIP

I'm just glad Pittsburgh didn't make the list (suck it Cleveland). Our weather sucks but we're a good time, mang.

Cagey

Banned

I took a wrong turn going to a concert in Camden years back, and it looked like Afghanistan: bombed out and depleted.

hwy_61

Banned
As a Chicago native, makes me a little sad to my city so high up on the list. I understand why, though. Corrup politics, gangs everywhere, parking costs, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom