• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014) [Up: Mag Info In OP]

'Other next-generation consoles' is strangely worded, it should be 'another next-generation console', or platform, but why use the plural when it's not coming to Wii U?

The screenshots looked rough as hell, certainly didn't look 'next-gen' to me.

If they say "Next gen console", it's more of a A'ha! Mystery is always fun.

TTG

totally looks like Besthesda saw what they were up to and cranked out Dishonered before so they could get they jump.

Incredible similarities here.

If there's a morality system to go along with the plague riddled city, I'm bailing out.

Ushae

Banned
Square Enix West seem to be delivering so well, got a good feeling about them next gen too.

Bring it, Thief, Deus Ex!

Endless

Artwork from the official site

backgroundt0s6g.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
If they say "Next gen console", it's more of a A'ha! Mystery is always fun.
That's true.

We knew this game had moved to next-gen, but I'm surprised it's not also current-gen personally. I'm glad, because cross-generational releases are going to pull down next-gen adoption, but I'm surprised.

mrpeabody

As a longtime Thief fan, it does look like they took some aesthetic cues from Dishonored. Hopefully the whole game isn't monochromatic and desaturated like that.

AJ_Wings

Wow!

Look at that Dishonored art. Seriously what is with this singularity of art design that the industry falls into. Hopefully we see more to tell us otherwise. I've been anticipating these games for a while now.

I don't know. Dishonored looked more water painterly than what we have here in Thief which is straight up medieval Gothic. Also Dishonored had a lot of in common with Half Life 2 aesthetically than Thief in my opinion. (Which is funny considering the Art Director)

Derrick01

Banned
I hope this isn't casualifed like in the latest hitman game.

If this game ends up comparable to deadly shadows I'll feel like we got a bit of a victory. I expect it to be completely consolized whereas Deadly Shadows was still dumbed down from Thief 2, but not disgracefully so like Invisible War and Absolution. If we can get something on DS level I'll be somewhat satisfied.

Official logo then:

hL4n8yV.png

Thank God there is no Thi4f bullshit.

Yea that's good, love it.

So they mentioned it's somewhat based on a Victorian/Gothic visual style? Or did I hear that wrong?

Does anyone remember it was rumored to be a modern game when it was FIRST even rumored years ago? Ugh. that would have been bad.

Hex

Banned
You would expect people to read through the press release (which says next gen console"s") before releasing it but this is the game industry we are talking about so yeah.

What do you expect them to say
"It is also planned for the other next-generation console"

Seriously?
Does the "they must be hiding some secret thing" really overrule sense?

-BLITZ-

Is like looking through Dishonored but on different timeline. I didn't expected for something like this, but from the screens I'm sure I will like the game a lot.

I am excited, but there is one small worry, why does his right eye have a blue smoke coming out of it ?!, please not another 'See Through Walls' feature.

golem

Hmm, so is this a sequel or reboot? Seems like Garrett is already known by the description in the trailer.

Hope they retain the occultish/supernatural elements.

Majanew

Banned
Funny that if GI would've just announced the game on the cover and shown it yesterday, instead of the same ol tired 'announcing an announcement' garbage -- they wouldn't have had some of their thunder stolen from that site. Derp

Can't wait to see some next-gen gameplay.

If this game ends up comparable to deadly shadows I'll feel like we got a bit of a victory. I expect it to be completely consolized whereas Deadly Shadows was still dumbed down from Thief 2, but not disgracefully so like Invisible War and Absolution. If we can get something on DS level I'll be somewhat satisfied.

I expect something along the lines of Human Revolution. A more streamlined experience, but one that still offers hints of the old experience. Being comparable to Deadly Shadows would be great, but I feel that's being overly optimistic. It'll be more streamlined like HR.

In fact, I'd say Dishonoured gives us a somewhat good idea of what this will be like.

farnham

Banned
What do you expect them to say
"It is also planned for the other next-generation console"

Seriously?
Does the "they must be hiding some secret thing" really overrule sense?

As i said. May be simply laziness could be some other platform than xbox 720 who knows. I wasnt saying there is a secret. I just said it is perculiar that its platforms (which may be interpreted as more than one) not platform thats all. I dont really understand why saying its perculiar is so offensive.

cbox

I wonder if they'll bring back the same voice actors from the first games. I love the conversations in both thief and ii, so good.

I expect something along the lines of Human Revolution. A more streamlined experience, but one that still offers hints of the old experience. Being comparable to Deadly Shadows would be great, but I feel that's being overly optimistic. It'll be more streamlined like HR.

In fact, I'd say Dishonoured gives us a somewhat good idea of what this will be like.

"Hints" won't be good enough.

Looks great for a next-gen title. You cannot achieve this kind of details and textures on current-gen console title (including the PC port of course). The baseline here is just so much better.

Meelow

Banned
It's not new announcing a game for systems and than announcing a Wii U version later, AKA Watch Dogs, Black List, etc.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The industry's changed since Deadly Shadows was released, and my standards have risen. We've already gotten a bunch of reasonably faithful successors that weren't dumbed down, and an impending wave of new, promising late-90s-PC-style games (mostly through Kickstarter). Stealth gameplay, specifically, has been on a high recently. Like Mark of the Ninja is probably the richest stealth game of all time, for example. Even Eidos' own DX:HR made some advancements. The point is, we don't have to be begging for scraps.

That's why if I'm going to be severely disappointed if Teef is only Thief 3 quality. Developers who work in the space once occupied by smart PC games shouldn't be getting free passes any more.

cbox

The gameinformer video was awesome, cemented my excitement for the game. I love that they made a working bow, shows dedication to the franchise.

golem

Being next gen only may have been a recent decision, judging by the magazine pictures. Hopefully they'll capture the atmosphere of the concept art they have on the thief website in the final product.

Also, I expect another amazing Visual Works trailer.

Carbonox

Being next gen only may have been a recent decision, judging by the magazine pictures. Hopefully they'll capture the atmosphere of the concept art they have on the thief website in the final product.

animation1dfg2zq7g.gif

Drazgul

First I stole to survive… then I survived to steal.

I am one man; I hear your secrets, see your hidden truths.

I am the shadows, the dark and deadly, the velvet night. You will not see me coming.

I am Garrett….What’s yours is mine.

That doesn't sound like Garrett at all - like straight out of the mouth of some generic dudebro dickwad.

Derrick01

Banned
The industry's changed since Deadly Shadows was released, and my standards have risen. We've already gotten a bunch of reasonably faithful successors that weren't dumbed down, and an impending wave of new, promising late-90s-PC-style games (mostly through Kickstarter). Stealth gameplay, specifically, has been on a high recently. Like Mark of the Ninja is probably the richest stealth game of all time, for example. Even Eidos' own DX:HR made some advancements. The point is, we don't have to be begging for scraps.

That's why if I'm going to be severely disappointed if Teef is only Thief 3 quality. Developers who work in the space once occupied by smart PC games shouldn't be getting free passes any more.

Eh? I still haven't played a AAA game this gen that did stealth even on 3's level let alone the earlier games mostly because they always try to be hybrid games, mostly action with some stealth elements. That's why I said I'd be satisfied if they made it like 3 instead of trying to modernize it even further.

I don't think Thief and Dishonored should be compared. Besides, the assassin protagonist and first person view, there is nothing else common between them. There are no supernatural powers/abilities for the hero in Thief. You can't teleport and do other crazy shit. Just a blackjack, swords and bow and arrows. There's a mission structure and loadouts. You sit endlessly waiting for the guards to stop chatting so you can make your move.

It's becoming increasingly clear that developers and publishers don't consider the WiiU a next-generation platform.

yea Nintendo is to blame though...they chose the tablet controller over decent modern tech and now they will see the repercussions of that decision.

Wii U will turn out to be like PS3, a system you buy to play the exclusive games.

owasog

If this game ends up comparable to deadly shadows I'll feel like we got a bit of a victory. If we can get something on DS level I'll be somewhat satisfied.
If you take out the clunky controls and small levelsizes, DS is a very good game.
The lockpicking minigame was actually better than the one in 1 and 2. The "open world" City was a great idea as well. Music and voice acting were top-notch.

Unfortunately those small levels suffocated the entire game; they destroyed that feeling of exploration. There were also very few secrets compared to the original games, because there was basically no room to put them.

I hope the new game can get that "big-level" feeling back. Dishonored felt bigger than DS, but still not as big as Thief 1+2 I think.

farnham

Banned
yea Nintendo is to blame though...they chose the tablet controller over decent modern tech and now they will see the repercussions of that decision.

Wii U will turn out to be like PS3, a system you buy to play the exclusive games.

Well if wiiu isnt meant what is the other next gen platform?

I was ridiculed for ouya. Maybe its steambox? Or maybe phantom?

Well if wiiu isnt meant what is the other next gen platform?

I was ridiculed for ouya. Maybe its steambox? Or maybe phantom?

I don't consider steambox to be a platform, mainly because this game will be released on steam. Ouya doesn't have the tech, it might have been a mistake ;)

Biggzy

Do we know how long it has been in development for?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Eh? I still haven't played a AAA game this gen that did stealth even on 3's level let alone the earlier games mostly because they always try to be hybrid games, mostly action with some stealth elements. That's why I said I'd be satisfied if they made it like 3 instead of trying to modernize it even further.
DX:HR, purely played as a stealth game and ignoring the action elements, is better than Thief 3. Enemy behaviour is more sophisticated (like they can actually turn their heads and look around) and the cover system is superbly integrated with the stealth system. Dishonored is too; is has bigger levels, better AI, and more opportunity for improvisation. Mark of the Ninja isn't "AAA", and it's 2D, but despite that has the most complex stealth mechanics of probably any game.

A game on the level of Thief 3 would be a significant step backwards from what we have now.

amatecha

Pretty sweet news. The screens look fairly nice, although very Dishonored (with a far more Thief approach, of course). Definitely a compelling setting. That said, stoked that Eidos Montreal is on it. I just hope it lives up to the name - that's the real potential caveat/risk. We're all excited about this news but we won't know until later whether it's going to live up to what we expect "the next Thief" to be. ;)

Top Bottom