• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Within unveiling August 21st

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GamesCom of course.

VG247 said:
The heretofore unknown game was rated by the reliably spoilerific Korean ratings board for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and has also turned up on the more tenuous Steam Database.

The listings, which seem to have been first spotted by CVG, give no clue as to what the title may refer to.

A request for comment from 2K yielded the following statement:

“We’re looking forward to making an announcement on August 21. We don’t have any further comment at this time.”
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/01/xcom-enemy-within-listings-appear-online/

saunderez

FFS the cats out of the bag just make the announcement already. They basically confirm it by announcing the announcement.

Mupod

the game/expansion/dlc/whatever will be cool and all but man I can't wait to see Jake Solomon do interviews and demos and such again.

Raytow

Random generated terrain, please, please... oh wait before that I want a turn based XCom no 3rd person, 1st person bullshit 2k.

Corsick

It's a new game.

I'm slightly concerned about just how much worthwhile and polished content can be pumped out in a year to justify a brand new, full priced release. Cautiously optimistic as Xcom is one of the franchises I respect the most with the latest game being refreshingly good.

I wonder where the remake franchise can go from here. I don't think a TFTD remake would really work all that well. "Enemy Within", assuming it's not just a DLC expansion / 3DS game or something, would make it sound like it's focusing on some sort of alien infiltrator scenario. Alternatively, Aliens Earth somewhere (Like TFTD, although maybe not from under the oceans).

Xater

I'm slightly concerned about just how much worthwhile and polished content can be pumped out in a year to justify a brand new, full priced release. Cautiously optimistic as Xcom is one of the franchises I respect the most with the latest game being refreshingly good.

I assume in the 90s this would have been an expansion, but those no longer really exist. Also the groundwork already stands with the first game. I assume we get a new story, new maps and a couple of new mechanics. I will be at Gamescom and try to talk to someone about it.

Mogwai

And I just started Enemy Unknown the other day... I wasn't a fan of turn-based stuff, but XCOM seems quite interesting with its metagame stuff and all.

Please have coop with dual HQ management and resource sharing.

I really hope they move away from the highly scripted story progression they used in the last game. Random maps (or shuffled set pieces) would be welcome too.

I really hope they move away from the highly scripted story progression they used in the last game. Random maps (or shuffled set pieces) would be welcome too.

I'd like that too, but I doubt it. In many ways it has helped to make the game much more accessible since you usually have a single clear goal to strive towards.

I'd like that too, but I doubt it. In many ways it has helped to make the game much more accessible since you usually have a single clear goal to strive towards.

The story progress was the best part of xcom. Gameplay was good too, but it was a nicely inspired tale. The type that matched the game perfectly and you really don't find elsewhere.

Jintor

I wonder where the remake franchise can go from here. I don't think a TFTD remake would really work all that well. "Enemy Within", assuming it's not just a DLC expansion / 3DS game or something, would make it sound like it's focusing on some sort of alien infiltrator scenario. Alternatively, Aliens Earth somewhere (Like TFTD, although maybe not from under the oceans).

You know where this is going.

Saurians.

XCOM v Dino People. Aww yis.

lilltias

Sounds like the threat will come from earth or maybe there will be humans fighting on the alien side..

Anyway, I am expecting a content sequel with just some minor upgrades in the gameplay department. And that is fine to me.

GeoGonzo

Fuck yes, day 1. Shit, I'm going to miss the reveal since I'm on vacation #firstworldproblems

the game/expansion/dlc/whatever will be cool and all but man I can't wait to see Jake Solomon do interviews and demos and such again.

I really like Solomon but I -think- that he left XCOM in the hands of someone else from the studio. He probably got a bit sick of the project after all those years.

Really the only thing I'll say definitely needs to die is the free move that the aliens get when you discover them. They instantly move out of their patrol and into defensive positions.

Mupod

Really the only thing I'll say definitely needs to die is the free move that the aliens get when you discover them. They instantly move out of their patrol and into defensive positions.

Well, with the game's reliance on cover, it's kind of necessary to keep them from being helplessly torn apart as soon as you find them during your turn.

But it is pretty goddamn ridiculous that things like Cyberdiscs get that free move too. I'd be fine if their movement distance was limited during it, maybe.

Tu101uk

Enemy Unknown was a great starting place, so (assuming that this is a sequel/expansion to that one) Firaxis just needs to just tune things up a bit for a tighter, more complicated experience. Here are some of my thoughts off-hand...

• Make the game less buggy all around!
  • Random generated maps please! Or a much greater volume of pre-built maps!
  • Make the base management aspects deeper and more free-flowing! Allow for multiple full-on bases and multiple Skyrangers with multiple squads.
  • Base attacks please! These kept you on your toes once the aliens realised where your base was in the original game.
  • More UFOs to shoot down! Hardly any showed up during a standard game in comparison to the original.
  • Improve the UFO interception so that it's more engaging and enjoyable.
  • Methought the combat mechanics were great as is, though more variety in the skill trees with a few more weapons and enemies wouldn't go amiss.
  • A few other suggestions that have been mentioned time and again, like removing the aliens' "free turn" when discovered, etc.
Definitely colour me intrigued...

Bugs? Played thru twice on PS3 and never saw a single bug.

... it was the buggiest game I played outside of Skyrim before the patch.

I'm hoping this is a new game for PS4/XbOne. If it's PS3 again I'll probably wait on a huge price drop, I'm ready to move on now.

Skunkers

Bugs? Played thru twice on PS3 and never saw a single bug.

I certainly have. In the middle of my second playthrough on PS3 now, and I've seen one hard freeze, two times where the game "essentially" froze because the AI could not decide what to do during enemy turn so I was stuck at Alien Activity and couldn't do anything (and I did wait several minutes), and finally, twice now I've seen the bug where the FMV looks all screwy and full of green artifacting.

Doesn't matter though, because the game is so amazing. So ready for this.

Lord Phol

Yes! Been waiting for some more XCOM!
Still a bit sad they never did anyting worthwhile with the DLC potential (like an expansion) the first game had.

Top Bottom