• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Within unveiling August 21st

Enemy Within?

I'm guessing that this will either be a modernization of Terror From the Deep, or a new scenario that has you fight aliens and other human groups over the 'spoils' of the thwarted invasion from Enemy Unknown.

Miker

I'll buy it when it goes on sale after having a somewhat let down experience with XCOM - mainly due to the enemy trigger system. The safest way to play the game was to manipulate the spawn system to your advantage inching forward, and the game kind of suffered for it.

Oh man I forgot you could never really get the jump on the aliens. That was so lame.

you kind of could, I had a few games where I would see the aliens before their cinematic trigger would kick in (when they see you). I lob a nade into them, kill 1 or 2, then their cinema kicks in.

Dear god I hope this is going to be an expansion. Wonky interior camera aside, it was one of my favorite games of 2012, and I'd love to give it another go with more content and tweaked mechanics.

I'm going to say I hope this is a new game.

I doubt it will be, but I would really like to see procedurally generated maps and enemy placement, and I'm not sure if that's something they can splice into the existing title. As much as I loved that game (And the series for that matter), if that's not there, I'm not sure I'll want to pick it up.

Grimsen

I'll buy it when it goes on sale after having a somewhat let down experience with XCOM - mainly due to the enemy trigger system. The safest way to play the game was to manipulate the spawn system to your advantage inching forward, and the game kind of suffered for it.

A difficulty setting with enemies actively roaming and able to attack before you spot them would be awesome. I don't know if it would be possible with their current code, since in EU the enemies hop from one spawn point to another until discovered.

EDIT: I also hope they do a Saturn launch of the DLC.

Miker

A difficulty setting with enemies actively roaming and able to attack before you spot them would be awesome. I don't know if it would be possible with their current code, since in EU the enemies hop from one spawn point to another until discovered.

I'd rather be able to attack the enemies before they spot me ;)

Grimsen

I'd rather be able to attack the enemies before they spot me ;)

I agree that the LOS should allow for that, but you can already use Battle Scanner or Cloak. :)

Or as ZombieSupaStar said, there's a one-tile leeway where you can see the enemy and they can't see you. It's happened countless times to me. I don't know if it's a bug.

Yeah it was always scary getting fired upon by some unseen enemy in the original. Something was lost when now every time there's an enemy encounter there's the same music, the same animation of them skulking around and the same mad dash for cover.

you kind of could, I had a few games where I would see the aliens before their cinematic trigger would kick in (when they see you). I lob a nade into them, kill 1 or 2, then their cinema kicks in.
Hmm interesting. I don't recall ever getting that.

Miker

I agree that the LOS should allow for that, but you can already use Battle Scanner or Cloak. :)

Or as ZombieSupaStar said, there's a one-tile leeway where you can see the enemy and they can't see you. It's happened countless times to me. I don't know if it's a bug.

I just felt like the game was kind of "cheating" its own ruleset by giving the enemy a free turn in the middle of my turn. I ended up A) sending out one soldier at the start of a turn and

if it didn't see anything, then B) move other soldiers up to his position but no farther, so no additional enemies would be tripped

if it did trip something, then C) fire at aliens with rest of soldiers

Grimsen

I just felt like the game was kind of "cheating" its own ruleset by giving the enemy a free turn in the middle of my turn. I ended up A) sending out one soldier at the start of a turn and

if it didn't see anything, then B) move other soldiers up to his position but no farther, so no additional enemies would be tripped

if it did trip something, then C) fire at aliens with rest of soldiers

The ''spotted'' animation isn't cheating. If anything, it makes the game easier. The aliens can't do shit, no overwatch.

Not having it would mean reaction shots from the aliens as soon as they see you, which is much worse. (and I would like that very much.)

Miker

The ''spotted'' animation isn't cheating. If anything, it makes the game easier. The aliens can't do shit, no overwatch.

Not having it would mean reaction shots from the aliens as soon as they see you, which is much worse. (and I would like that very much.)

Oh, it doesn't make the game harder, I just personally don't like the way it works.

Yeah but that always almost felt like a bug, there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to why that happens.

Yeah it was always scary getting fired upon by some unseen enemy in the original. Something was lost when now every time there's an enemy encounter there's the same music, the same animation of them skulking around and the same mad dash for cover.

And since there are no roaming enemies you can safely position your guys completely out in the open.

Top Bottom