• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Within unveiling August 21st

ToyBroker

Banned
Fuck yes!

I can't believe how much I enjoyed the game on PC. I've always blown at turn-based strategy games like this but I couldn't get enough of it. Even when I went to bed I was planning moves in my head and remembering fallen soldiers in battles where I blew it big time.

That said, hopefully this is just an expansion (which I'm guessing) since it's on current-gen.

Aw yissss!

Always been a big fan of XCom games, and loved Enemy Unknown. Day 1 for me.

I also never ran into bugs playing EU, though I will echo the desire for more levels (maybe go with modular tiles by map type? gives lots more variety). I should really get going on my classic ironman playthrough (I'm a wimp and save all the time normally.)

Would be interesting to see if they added Steam Workshop support like they have for Civ V. This feels like it is going to be an "expandalone" sort of release (some updated mechanics, new coat of chrome) , but it would be nice to have better modding options than what we have now.

Though in defense of the mod teams for the game they have done some pretty amazing work given what they had to work with (i.e. nothing).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Enemy Within?

I'm calling it. It's going to be a Fantastic Voyage like setting where you have a base cell using organelles as base facilities and you have to defeat other "TERRORIST" Cells (hyuck) travelling through the lymphatic system and circulatory system.

SUCH A GAME HAS NEVER BEEN DONE SINCE REX RONAN!

A man can dream right?

600full-innerspace-screenshot.jpg

This was seen on a Korean ratings site? Could it be a different name for The Bureau: XCOM Declassified? That's out around 21st August-ish.

FloatOn

Enemy Unknown was my first experience with XCOM and I fell in love.

I'm absolutely on board with anything XCOM related.

Miletius

A full length expansion would be great, and I think that's what they were hinting at beforehand. I'd love a new campaign with new enemies.

Edit: My dream scenario is that you'd have to build your army up from scratch again. Dunno how feasible that will be with story and stuff like that though.

I don't know to what extent Enemy Within will be intended to be an analogue of Terror from the Deep (which I didn't play), but I when I imagine an expansion I picture adding another enemy force that you have to battle at the same time as the aliens of the base game, such that you're fighting on two fronts simultaneously, which would be pretty awesome.

Fireblend

Banned
I don't know to what extent Enemy Within will be intended to be an analogue of Terror from the Deep (which I didn't play), but I when I imagine an expansion I picture adding another enemy force that you have to battle at the same time as the aliens of the base game, such that you're fighting on two fronts simultaneously, which would be pretty awesome.

Giant creatures from a dimensional rift in the Pacific ocean please.

How cool would an XCOM-like Pacific Rim game be?

Edit: The more I think about this the more sense it makes.

Chojin

Innerspace.jpg

Now that was a movie where I wished there was a game for when I was a kid, even if LJN did it I would so have played an Innerspace game.

Maybe it's a DLC pack for Surgeon Simulator 2013.

Nah man think about how badass it would be. You would have the aftermath of Xcom: Enemy Unknown and all the world is spending billions, if not trillions on future space threats, and they go BIG, HUUUUUGE and overkill and the Aliens retaliate by SHRINKING DOWN IN SIZE and invade your bungholes.

X-com retaliates by setting up a base cell, using mitochondria as power supplies. Firefights within the different systems of the body. You have to be careful of "environmental" damage as that can end up killing the person you're inside. When parts of the body are compromised by the alien it affects the person and can result in all kinds of consequences like mind control.

Environments would be insane, you could have maps with stomach acid, maps where "neutral" white blood cells will attack both sides.

I'd be so down for this.

With a title like that, I hope it's more like Carpenter's The Thing than Heinlein's Puppetmasters. Both scenarios would be awesome to explore with a turn-based tactical game, though. Wait, this is possibly an expansion, not a full game?

Sloane

Banned
Standalone expansion seems most likely but I'll buy it if it fixes the (few) problems of the original and offers enough new content... especially more variety in terms of missions and settings.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So this seems to be an expansion after all since Enemy Unknown just got new achievements: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/XCOMEnemyUnknown/achievements

This is great news if they are focusing on addressing the main game's problems with this expansion, mainly replayability. Ideally, this expansion should:

- Introduce procedural maps or a buttload of new maps.
- Introduce more procedural aspects and less plot.
- Vary AI behavior and eliminate cheapness (free move for aliens and statistical disadvantage at higher difficulty).
- Introduce new gameplay features like base invasion and better interception gameplay.
- More of everything (equipment, structures, resources, customization options) which will again contribute to replayability.

Acorn

How many people work for firaxis these days? They are steadily getting large amounts of content out, quite impressive.

So this seems to be an expansion after all since Enemy Unknown just got new achievements: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/XCOMEnemyUnknown/achievements

This is great news if they are focusing on addressing the main game's problems with this expansion, mainly replayability. Ideally, this expansion should:

- Vary AI behavior and eliminate cheapness (free move for aliens and statistical disadvantage at higher difficulty).
- Introduce new gameplay features like base invasion and better interception gameplay.
- More of everything (equipment, structures, resources, customization options) which will again contribute to replayability.
I'm not getting my hopes up but this would be great.

duckroll

I'm not going to have unrealistic expectations of this. It'll probably be pretty similar to the original game, but some improvements would definitely be welcome. Better handling of the camera/movement pointer in interior sections with multiple elevation planes would be a great start. :p

Loved XCOM though, definitely in for an expansion. :D

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm not going to have unrealistic expectations of this. It'll probably be pretty similar to the original game, but some improvements would definitely be welcome. Better handling of the camera/movement pointer in interior sections with multiple elevation planes would be a great start. :p

Loved XCOM though, definitely in for an expansion. :D

I am trying to not get my hopes up either, but if it really is just a minor update then I don't think it would've taken them this long to release it?

Fireblend

Banned

Damn, that's a crazy amount of achievements. And I agree that changes better be more related to procedural generation and customization than anything else.

Announcing anything XCOM from Firaxis now would kill what little momentum the 3PS has.

Which is kind of my point. It's not going to do as much damage as announcing it /before/ The Bureau, but not everyone who would have bough the game is going to do so day one. Announce an expansion or sequel to Enemy Unknown a day after The Bureau releases, and you're going to cause more than a few people who wanted more X-COM to say "Eh, I'll just wait for more Enemy Unknown because I know that was a solid experience".

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Which is kind of my point. It's not going to do as much damage as announcing it /before/ The Bureau, but not everyone who would have bough the game is going to do so day one. Announce an expansion or sequel to Enemy Unknown a day after The Bureau releases, and you're going to cause more than a few people who wanted more X-COM to say "Eh, I'll just wait for more Enemy Unknown because I know that was a solid experience".

The two games are completely different though. I couldn't careless about the third person game and I'm sure a ton of other people are in the same position. The two games are made for different audiences.

The two games are completely different though. I couldn't careless about the third person game and I'm sure a ton of other people are in the same position. The two games are made for different audiences.

I played 43 hours of Enemy Unknown on my first playthrough, and I preordered The Bureau the day it was available on Steam. There's plenty of overlap, particularly given The Bureau isn't just a third person shooter.

duckroll

I am trying to not get my hopes up either, but if it really is just a minor update then I don't think it would've taken them this long to release it?

I don't think its a minor update. It's clearly an expansion, but what I mean is, I don't expect it to be radically different or massively improved from the original game. What they've been working on is probably content, not an overhaul of the mechanics or the engine.

Grimsen

I don't think its a minor update. It's clearly an expansion, but what I mean is, I don't expect it to be radically different or massively improved from the original game. What they've been working on is probably content, not an overhaul of the mechanics or the engine.

More content is great IMO.

I wonder if it's going to be implemented in the original game, mixing new and old maps and assets, or if it's going to be a separate campaign.

I wouldn't mind having every map, weapon, etc, old and new, mixed in together.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

Yes you're probably right, integrating procedural generation into the existing engine is most likely not feasible. The game just needs to be more open ended and less directed.

Definitely looking forward to the announcement. After G&K and BNW I feel pretty good about both Firaxis expansions and new XCOM content.

Yes, yes, and yes. Procedural maps and the ability to surprise enemies would by itself be worth $60 to me.

Top Bottom