• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

ReiGun

Yeah the Den-O money train (ha!) wasn't gonna last forever. I do wonder if the folks in Japan got totally sick of him or if people just decided they had enough merch.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dumb hypothetical scenario I've been thinking of...

Upcoming Power Rangers movie ends up decent and makes a shitload of money from ticket and toy sales
Bandai sees this opportunity and allows Lionsgate to make movies on Kamen Rider and Metal Heroes
Lionsgate then turns this into the Henshin Hero Universe, making everyone even more money.

I mean, if the Universal Monsters can get a new cinematic universe...

Yeah it's a dumb idea.

ReiGun

It's always been odd to me that in this age of superhero films, no one has tried to tap Japanese franchises for a different flavor from the norm. Imagi was making Gatchaman, but they went under.

I've always wondered how Hollywood would do something like Casshern or Kamen Rider.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's always been odd to me that in this age of superhero films, no one has tried to tap Japanese franchises for a different flavor from the norm. Imagi was making Gatchaman, but they went under.

I've always wondered how Hollywood would do something like Casshern or Kamen Rider.

give it time, someones gonna get the bright idea to remake kamen rider 1, or probably black rx into movies. it really helps that kamen rider doesnt have the following that power rangers has, they could do shortened movies based on said properties without people shouting "not my kamen rider!" i would love to see a speed kamen rider done for movies personally

I was thinking of this yesterdaty. The fact that they haven't gone back to a Kamen Rider The First-style presentation as an offshoot is perplexing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm losing my shit at this line for some reason. Oh TV-N.

UMXGuib.jpg

WillyFive

Yeah I love me some Faiz kick

Oh yeah, why did Den-O suddenly stopped making movies

Eventually the main characters got popular (in part because of those movies) and went on to bigger things, leaving just the suit actors playing the role; at that point with sales decreasing they simply teamed up with newer Rider series and then eventually only came back for the occasional voiced cameo.

There may never be a Rider series as popular and long lasting as Den-O.

NeonZ

Oh yeah, why did Den-O suddenly stopped making movies

Because they stopped selling discs. One of the biggest things about Den-O, above even merchandising, was the very high number of DVDs sold compared to other series. That's why it continued through movies, not a second tv show or something.

Also, if you think about it, there was a transition. First we had Chou Den-O & Decade, an attempt to continue Den-O without its lead actor. It actually performed decently, although with lower numbers than previous Den-O movies. Next year, there was the Chou Den-O Trilogy movie series. However, they had very low numbers for each movie individually, with the best performing one being Episode Yellow, which featured Diend as the main character rather than an actual Den-O cast member like in Episodes Blue and Red.

After that, we got Let's Go Kamen Riders, that featured Den-O as one of the main series in a crossover movie, alongside OOO and the original Rider, rather than trying to carry the feature by itself. However, they already didn't have even the actors of young Ryotaro or Hana either, making Momotaros officially into the original Den-O.

Still, Den-O's cast, alongside Decade's and Gokaiger's was one of the first confirmed casts for Super Hero Taisen. That was the point where we saw a big cut. Although they were among the first actors confirmed for the movie, Owner and Naomi only appear in one scene, and even the Imagins only speak in two scenes. In the following movies, Den-O is pretty much reduced to the level of other returning Riders, only getting Den-O Sword Form/Momotaros to appear.

WarRock

I am still waiting for that Cyborg 009 comic that technically will be a movie too, but shit seems deader than Half Life 3.

shaowebb

Just watched up to Faiz 26...dat Kamen Rider Delta tease. "Orphenochs destroyed by him burst into a red flame..."

Something dark up with this Rider Belt...seems like it has a corruptive or addictive thing goin' on. All I know is the belt and Rider look Badass. I entered into this series on one premise alone...the suits looked cool. I knew nothing and I am Loving this show so far. :D

Lots of cool mystery behind everyone's past, Smart Brain, and some really cool line blurring between what is good and evil with the Orphenochs and their collective stories.

Though I gotta say...whoever the new Orphenoch is its pretty messed up that he kicks on some sort of rap mashup of the song "jump around" and a guy rapping "Dont this shit make n*gga wanna" over and over and over. The moment your realize no one spoke english on the set lol.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Though I gotta say...whoever the new Orphenoch is its pretty messed up that he kicks on some sort of rap mashup of the song "jump around" and a guy rapping "Dont this shit make n*gga wanna" over and over and over. The moment your realize no one spoke english on the set lol.

one of the reasons i loved the spider orphenoch. i dont think anyone understood what that meant on scene.

i gotta look for that remix now

Im liking Toqger so far not so red centric. More about the team. I do like they change clothes and wear eachothers colors, I think its a nice touch. The train Mecha's are getting better as the series goes on

Catching up on Drive, the drive cars seem to do fine on their own without a host. The series should have been a bunch of toy cars battleling human sized monsters.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Im liking Toqger so far not so red centric. More about the team. I do like they change clothes and wear eachothers colors, I think its a nice touch. The train Mecha's are getting better as the series goes on

Catching up on Drive, the drive cars seem to do fine on their own without a host. The series should have been a bunch of toy cars battleling human sized monsters.

zBhu8Xx.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

It wasn't part of their job...

The DVD actually changed it (because of copyright apparently, not the lyrics). I also recall it plays again when Kaido is rapping around the apartment, right?

Crooklyn Clan - Wanna Jump, apparently.

vareon

Oh man. Look at those SICs. I already have Wizard Flame, but you have Birth, RaToraTah, and the rest of the Wizards on the horizon?

Flame Dragon's face looks like a mess IMO considering Flame Style is reeeally good. It's a reverse condition where I like Flame Dragon's suit better than Flame. Can't wait for Infinity.

Lack of Fourze is more of a bother than Birth's shoulders >:[

Flame Dragon's face looks like a mess IMO considering Flame Style is reeeally good. It's a reverse condition where I like Flame Dragon's suit better than Flame. Can't wait for Infinity.

Lack of Fourze is more of a bother than Birth's shoulders >:[

Yeah, Flame Dragon feels like a bit much, but I'll probably get the other Wizard Styles.

And Birth's shoulders are all about that SIC styling. Love it. Figuarts have never been my thing.

shaowebb

I love the SIC line of figures that take the suits and step them up with more detailing. TaJaDor SIC is one of the slickest designs out there.

TMCYxji.jpg

BatDan

As I approach the end of Fourze (10 episodes left), I have to ask.
Do I watch Wizard, or skip to Gaim?

NeonZ

As I approach the end of Fourze (10 episodes left), I have to ask.
Do I watch Wizard, or skip to Gaim?

Wizard is just really mediocre. Bland cast and the story progresses very little during most arcs. The episodic structure also is often very repetitive, since there was usually no ties between the monsters and victims of the week. The story itself when it gets going isn't exactly great either since it's based on caring about a character that the show ignored a lot of the time due to production issues.

It's a very mediocre show in all senses besides action - and even the action is only really good if you like toku's cg effects, since they really liked spamming cg.

Wizard's last two episodes are pretty good Heisei Rider-only crossover though, if you like crossovers with tons of suits thrown in. It was better executed than most of the movie ones too.

Wizard is just really mediocre. Bland cast and the story progresses very little during most arcs. The episodic structure also is often very repetitive, since there was usually no ties between the monsters and victims of the week. The story itself when it gets going isn't exactly great either since it's based on caring about a character that the show ignored a lot of the time due to production issues.

It's a very mediocre show in all senses besides action - and even the action is only really good if you like toku's cg effects, since they really liked spamming cg.

Wizard's last two episodes are pretty good Heisei Rider-only crossover though, if you like crossovers with tons of suits thrown in. It was better executed than most of the movie ones too.

That's true. Wizard's last two episodes are probably the best Movie Wars/Taisen film.

shaowebb

I personally don't mind Wizard. to me it's as good as say, Faiz or Kabuto. Great action. Great suits. Mediocre story, wasted potential

I watched Kabuto and I'm currently watching Faiz...no way was Wizard even close to either of these. The continuing story line was damned near non existent in Wizard, its supporting cast wasn't really the best and its main character was someone we never got to form a relationship with since all the focus went into the throw away cast that every two episodes centered on the dreams of.

Faiz has the main character growing as a person socially, an ever expanding dark mystery involving one of the character's childhood, a very dark and tragic story that overarchs the entire series involving half the cast being villains, and its powers had a reason for existing.

Kabuto had a dark history of one of the main characters and a very tangled history between her and the main character that only ever gets fully explained on some mysteries after the God Speed Love movie. The supporting cast fills in voids in the main character but don't take over the series like they did in Wizard...on the contrary they force him to interact MORE with people for us to get to know him. The action built to something and some of the character's stories were so deep they alone had more substance than all of Wizard (namely Sasword's story and Gatack).

Wizard didn't even develop any of its cast including its secondary Rider. As soon as folks showed up they wanted to tell their entire story in two episodes and it made everything feel very shallow that they came across.Nothing ever built up to anything. Biggest moments we had were Phoenix and Gremlin and that was around 4-6 episodes for the whole series.

BatDan

Super Megaforce 17

A lot happened. That was like what, 3 Goseiger episodes?

Repetitive dialogue...
At least Andrew Grey is finally showing some emotion. Was that so hard guys?
*glowy punch* So... what was that? How did he do that? You're not going to explain are you?
When did Robo Knight get a Ranger Key?
"He's doing something good!" How do you know that? I asked how do you know that?!

RIP Robo Knight
... ugh
"Behold my dark power!" *sprouts angel wings* Uhhhhhhh.... This is where making original footage comes in handy.

And now, three episodes of ending fatigue to follow.

You know what this two-parter needed? A scene of Damaras and Levira seeing Vrak has returned, and asking to help, only for Vrak to decline. At least it would connect the two seasons. But that would require effort and we can't have that.

BatDan

Wait, they're mixing Goseiger and Gokaiger footage?

No, that's what they should have done since this is a stupid hybrid season.
Vrak (Bladerun) is Vekar's (Warz Gill) brother, so it stands to reason that Damaras and Levira (Insarn) should have known Vrak was on earth.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No, that's what they should have done since this is a stupid hybrid season.
Vrak (Bladerun) is Vekar's (Warz Gill) brother, so it stands to reason that Damaras and Levira (Insarn) should have known Vrak was on earth.

Ahh.

Wow, Super Megaforce sounds haphazard

BatDan

Ahh.

Wow, Super Megaforce sounds haphazard

Haphazard is being generous. The entire season is a clusterfuck.
There's often original footage of the Goseiger costumes fighting the Gokaiger Gormin. Time that could have been used to have more original Legendary Morphs.
Note: Lightspeed Rescue did NOT get represented at all. Time Force only got a single morph, as did Operation Overdrive (well, technically two but both were Red). And yet we got THREE DAIRANGER MORPHS. Not to mention the entirety of Changeman with appearances from Maskman, Flashman and Fiveman.

Top Bottom