• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

javadoze

Gremlin Mayu and Beast both deserved a way better show.

HELL-O!

Fixed.

Though I do admit that Gremlin had a really interesting villain backstory (that they stop caring about after it's introduced).

Mayu though. She was a great character, but her plot went nowhere.

..."Starts out promising, then falls off a cliff" is a phrase that can be applied to most of Wizard. They didn't even need to do anything more but stick the landing with what they had.

Beast's powerup was so embarrassing
I wonder when Bandai/Toei execs will learn that gun riders are never really satisfying to watch in combat (there's exceptions, but they're few and far between).

KingDirk

Fixed.

Though I do admit that Gremlin had a really interesting villain backstory (that they stop caring about after it's introduced).

..."Starts out promising, then falls off a cliff" is a phrase that can be applied to most of Wizard. They didn't even need to do anything more but stick the landing with what they had.

See, some of the Rider shows I can see where minor tweaks could have made them more satisfying. OOO you could rejigger the last third away from the extended rehash of Fang, set Dr. Maki up in a less awkward way, etc. Kiva you could either introduce VampDad earlier
or focus more on the conflict with Saga (and keep Saga's costume for longer, damn it!) Wizard's faults feel way more fundamental. Haruto is a basically a void personality-wise and scheduling with the female lead prevented their relationship from offering much of an emotional core. The villains never really got the power-ups to necessitate each new Wizard upgrade so they never felt like a threat. Them not feeling like a threat meant that the two-partera felt way more excruciating because the guest stars couldn't justify the format in the way looking for keywords or trying to solve teens' problems did.

I wonder when Bandai/Toei execs will learn that gun riders are never really satisfying to watch in combat (there's exceptions, but they're few and far between).

Are the exceptions Micchy and Ryutaros because they were also purple and I think had hip hop beats so maybe that is the formula

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kyuranger 34;

When I first saw fake Champ, I felt that they should had him hanging out with the team for a few episode only to betray them and have the real Champ come in.

But then I watched the rest of the episode and was nope, what they did was miles better as they were clearly having fun with that trope.

So Anton was a part of the bad guy... Scorpio redeemed?

Build 7;

A good episode, though I am not fond of RocketPanda...looks too goofy for my liking.

Beast's powerup was so embarrassing

At least they redeemed him at the end of the season by making Beast be the one who defeated the White Wizard.

WillyFive

Sky Blue makes me think they should have made ToQer all kids

They show was obviously written for all the Rangers (except #6) to be played by child actors. But Toei or TV Asahi obviously wanted the usual TV models to be casted instead. Everything about ToQger works better if the Rangers were actually played by kids.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
They show was obviously written for all the Rangers (except #6) to be played by child actors. But Toei or TV Asahi obviously wanted the usual TV models to be casted instead. Everything about ToQger works better if the Rangers were actually played by kids.

Doesn't fix Wagon.

Sandfox

Most kid actors in Sentai are really bad.

I want another high school series because I don't think we've gotten one since Megaranger.

NeonZ

I think the main issue is that they often hesitate to actually do long range combat, so they end up as bumbling melee fighters with a weapon that just doesn't look good for close range. That early Jinba Gaim vs Marika battle was one of the rare times where they actually kept long range focus.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Hey, I liked Go-Busters.
But the Doubutsu version as a series would be better. Maybe not 48, but something like 13 or, pushing it, 26 episodes.

im more upset that it was tailor made to be adapted to power rangers but was outright passed up

it would be dope if go busters was in the rpm timeline, while dobutsu was a lost team in the main timeine

WillyFive

im more upset that it was tailor made to be adapted to power rangers but was outright passed up

it would be dope if go busters was in the rpm timeline, while dobutsu was a lost team in the main timeine

I still say RPM is in the same timeline as the original Saban/Disney run. Tzachor and his Neo-Saban nonsense holds no weight.

Slayven

Fixed.

Exa and Zolda was good

This is true.

Stuart444

Why is that? Not watched ToQ (though I want to cus trains) and curious why you it would work better if they were kids.

jwk94

Why is that? Not watched ToQ (though I want to cus trains) and curious why you it would work better if they were kids.
If I'm remembering correctly, the core five were kids who
were turned into adults suddenly, so they're written like kids.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I still say RPM is in the same timeline as the original Saban/Disney run. Tzachor and his Neo-Saban nonsense holds no weight.

i have a hard time seeing venjix completely wrecking the already near suicidal lightspeed rescue or op as fuck ninja storm

Tiu Neo

Most kid actors in Sentai are really bad.

I want another high school series because I don't think we've gotten one since Megaranger.

Yep. Make it like Fourze, but with all members transforming. Start with 3 core members and drip feed members on the team like they did with the Fourze supporting cast.

Because they acted like kids, but the reveal that they were kids in adult bodies, while expected, came a bit too late in the series.

I'm not a big fan of child actors in Sentai, but there are some good examples. The few scenes with the kid ToQ were fine. Even Kotaro is ok.

Stuart444

If I'm remembering correctly, the core five were kids who
were turned into adults suddenly, so they're written like kids.

Huh, how odd. I guess I can see why it would have been better then if they were kids I guess. (still want to watch it though cause Trains! XD)

I'm not a big fan of child actors in Sentai, but there are some good examples. The few scenes with the kid ToQ were fine. Even Kotaro is ok.

While I can't speak to other examples, Kotaro is great. Pleasantly surprised how much I like him (though he did start off a little eh but he matured quickly with his new responsibilities as a Kyuranger, etc)

jwk94

i have a hard time seeing venjix completely wrecking the already near suicidal lightspeed rescue or op as fuck ninja storm
Carter went down shooting. Speaking of which, Kelsey (lightspeed) and Jack (spd) were both in Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Great black comedy if you're into that. It's on Netflix.

I'll never not be mad that we skipped such a holden opportunity to make an rpm sequel, although idk if neo Saban would've been up to the task.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Interesting though I can see why Toei or TV Asahi opted not to go with that route considering that it would probably be a demanding task for kids.

Though I don't know what Japan child labour law is like.

While I can't speak to other examples, Kotaro is great. Pleasantly surprised how much I like him (though he did start off a little eh but he matured quickly with his new responsibilities as a Kyuranger, etc)

Yeah he's pretty good.

Didn't Bandai force them to skip it due to low toys sales in Japan?

Slayven

It's amazing the turn around on Lucky. Dude grew up, and it was subtle too.

I would have probably checked out if he was still the same from the first few eps

WarRock

I really like the art in Go Go Power Rangers:
BPyvauT.jpg

dBErybk.jpg

First pics if the Hyper Force ranger suits and their names. On mobile so I can't link the picture.

https://twitter.com/RangerBoard/status/921510081333747713
Helmets are GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGzPCh6ajOs

New Heisei Generations Final trailer. It shows
the two Kaiser suits that were in the toyguide.
It spoils the ending of the Ex-Aid solo movie too, since this is following directly from that.
I'm so ridiculously happy Eiji and Ankh are back together.

Top Bottom