• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
tokugaf2016.gif

Image created by WillyFive

SCROLLS FROM OUR ANCESTORS: TokuGAF 2015 | ToQGAF 2014 | TokuGAF 2013 | TokuGAF 2012 | Henshin 2009-2011 | Super Sentai 2009

What is Toku?
Short for Tokusatsu, it's Japanese for "special filming", referring to a live-action series or movie with extensive special effects. Superheroes, giant monsters, guys in rubber suits, miniatures, all that good stuff.
The term usually refers to Japanese productions like Super Sentai (and its ongoing American counterpart Power Rangers), Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Godzilla, Gamera, and many others. Though the term can also be applied to Western shows like Doctor Who and The Flash.

Cool. What's coming this year?

Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger

zyuteam.jpg

The parallel world of Zyuland, occupied by beastly animal people, is under attack by the Deathgalien. Four inhabitants flee to the human world and seek the help of a young up-and-coming zoologist to stop the invasion.
Directed by Takayuki Shibasaki (Go-Busters) and written by Junko Komura (Gokaiger and Akibaranger)

Where to Watch?
Premieres February 14th at 7:30 AM on TV Asashi
Elsewhere is currently unknown.

Kamen Rider Ghost

latest

18 year old Takeru Tenkuuji receives a mysterious package from his late father on his birthday. Upon receiving it, he's killed by the ghostly creatures Ganma. But he's been given a second chance and has to collect the 15 Legendary Eyecons as Kamen Rider Ghost.

Where to Watch?
Airs Sundays at 8:00 AM on TV Asashi
Fansubs provided by Over-Time and Orange Lion.

Power Rangers Dino Super Charge

maxresdefault.jpg

The follow-up to last year's Dino Charge. Sledge may be no more, but a new threat arises and attacks on the Rangers on two different fronts. The hunt for the remaining Energems continues with an eventual roster of 10 Rangers!

Where to Watch?
Saturdays at 12 PM (11 AM Central) on Nickelodeon. They're eventually uploaded to the Nick.com. Sadly, no Hulu this year.

Any older stuff to recommend?

The Tokusatsu Network has recently put out a list of legally available streaming choices. As seen here..

Shout! Factory TV

Shout! Factory have become big names in the tokusatsu fandom over the last couple of years thanks to their acquisition of Zyuranger, Dairanger, and the upcoming Kakuranger, the first legally available Sentai released within the US. These are the shows available through their streaming website, Shout! Factory TV:

Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger: The series the original Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers is based on and the first time a Sentai has been legally streamed in the US.
Ultraman: The grandfather of the modern tokusatsu hero shows, Ultraman is available in its entirety. This series is also available on Hulu.
Ultra Seven: A unique take on the Ultraman formula, back when Ultra Seven wasn’t a sequel but a reboot of Ultraman.
Ultra Q: The very first show in the Ultra franchise, featuring monsters and a traditional sci-fi formula over hero action.

Hulu

Johnny Soko and His Flying Robot: (Giant Robo): One of the earliest examples of a giant robot in tokusatsu TV show, brought to you by the producer of the original Kamen Rider series, Tooru Hirayama. This series is dubbed into English.

Crunchyroll

We’ve seen a nice influx of tokusatsu fans thanks to the recent licensing of Ultraman shows for the popular anime streaming service, including:

Ultraman Mebius: The 40th anniversary series, often called a fan favorite, features a return to the original shared universe of the first 7 shows, along with cameos from some of the original Ultras.
Ultraman Max: The series that came before Mebius, a fast and fun series highlighting great action and unique directing, thanks in large part to the amazing cast of high profile directors who lent their talents to the show. (including Takeshi Miike)
Ultraman Leo: One of the greats from the original Showa era of Ultraman shows. Leo features a dramatic story line with high intensity action and the return of a fan favorite character from a previous series.
Ultraman 80: The last traditional Ultraman series until Ultraman Tiga, over a decade later. 80 is a unique experience all its own with one of the most bizarre looking Ultraman characters.
Ultraman Nexus: It’s not out yet but Crunchyroll has announced the series will be coming to their site soon. Nexus was a dramatic take on the typically family friendly series, with darker story lines than usual
Ultraman X: The most recent Ultraman series and the very first tokusatsu to be simulcast to overseas viewers as it airs in Japan. With a recently announced series for later in 2016, hopefully this isn’t the last we see of Ultraman on Crunchyroll.

Shout Factory has also released DVDs of Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and Gosei Sentai Dairanger. A DVD set of Ninja Sentai Kakuranger is coming out in May.

Other series worth checking out

Super Sentai:
Chojin Sentai Jetman
Gekisou Sentai Carranger
Denji Sentai Megaranger
Mirai Sentai Timeranger
Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
Mahou Sentai Magiranger
Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger
Samurai Sentai Shinkenger
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger

Kamen Rider:
Kamen Rider Black
Kamen Rider Kuuga
Kamen Rider Agito
Kamen Rider Blade
Kamen Rider Kabuto
Kamen Rider Den-O
Kamen Rider W (Double)
Kamen Rider Fourze
Kamen Rider Gaim
Kamen Rider Drive

Be weary that fansubs will fluctuate in quality depending on the series. Avoid TV-Nihon if there are other options.

Where are all the GIFs like the last thread
Noooot doing that.

Hall of Shame

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
second-most active poster

I don't believe it

also right, ninninger finale today

WillyFive

Each TokuGAF thread had more posts than the previous one, except for last year's, but that's because various shows got their own specific threads as well.

I hope Sakamoto returns to something Toku this year; so that we can have the return of the Toku gifs:

eternalkick.gif

Mr-Joker

Banned
Each TokuGAF thread had more posts than the previous one, except for last year's, but that's because various shows got their own specific threads as well.

I hope Sakamoto returns to something Toku this year; so that we can have the return of the Toku gifs:

eternalkick.gif

Damn Eternal is so badass.

Snaku

Banned
Glad to see TokuGAF still going strong. Haven't watched anything really since W, but Drive and Ghost look interesting. Might hang out in here more often.

BatDan

Shame that none of the Kamen Rider show can be watched legally, maybe one day will they will.

Someday... Toei needs to find a way to bring it overseas and not expect it to blow up instantly. Crunchyroll would be perfect but apparently it's too expensive for them (well, it was last I heard)

I miss Sakamoto too. What's he up to?

Apparently he worked on Ultraman X.

Pluto

Glad to see TokuGAF still going strong. Haven't watched anything really since W, but Drive and Ghost look interesting. Might hang out in here more often.
You should watch Fourze and definitely Gaim, they're both so good.

WillyFive

Gaim is the Kamen Rider show to watch. Fourze is also excellent, from the same writer as W.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The next toy catalog for Ghost should be coming soon, but there's rumors about the final forms for Ghost and Spectre...

Ghost Mugen (Infinity) and Deep Spectre.

Also rumors about the 6th Jyuoger...

"But before talking about the 6th member of the team, Zyuoh King will get new weapons, the Cube Mogura (mole) and Cube Kuma (bear).

Finally, the 6th member of the team is Zyuoh World whose color is silver. He transforms using the Zyuoh The Light and his weapon is Zyuoh the Gun Rod. Three Cube Animals were also listed, the Cube Crocodile, Cube Wolf, and Cube Rhinos. It is still unknown if these three Cube Animals are associated to Zyuoh World.
"

This sounds similar to Gao Silver, except with a rhino instead of a hammerhead shark.

BossRush

The next toy catalog for Ghost should be coming soon, but there's rumors about the final forms for Ghost and Spectre...

Ghost Mugen (Infinity) and Deep Spectre.

Also rumors about the 6th Jyuoger...

"But before talking about the 6th member of the team, Zyuoh King will get new weapons, the Cube Mogura (mole) and Cube Kuma (bear).

Finally, the 6th member of the team is Zyuoh World whose color is silver. He transforms using the Zyuoh The Light and his weapon is Zyuoh the Gun Rod. Three Cube Animals were also listed, the Cube Crocodile, Cube Wolf, and Cube Rhinos. It is still unknown if these three Cube Animals are associated to Zyuoh World.
"

This sounds similar to Gao Silver, except with a rhino instead of a hammerhead shark.

Wow they're being really blatant with the Ghost being a Wizard apology show /s

I'd do Drive before Ghost, but be prepared for the early episodes to be a bit boring. I'd say you're better off doing Gaim or Fourze next. Gaim being the harder of the two, and Fourze being more fun and light.

BatDan

I'd do Drive before Ghost, but be prepared for the early episodes to be a bit boring. I'd say you're better off doing Gaim or Fourze next. Gaim being the harder of the two, and Fourze being more fun and light.

When did you get modded?

Boss Doggie

I dunno, I thought many rider shows have the "slow start" thing.

With that said, since Fourze I am noticing the "lets churn out all collectable merchandise in early episodes" much more prominently.

With that said, since Fourze I am noticing the "lets churn out all collectable merchandise in early episodes" much more prominently.

I feel W and OOO were better about it. OOO's only really annoying part is he kept losing the necessary medals for combos after using them once. Fourze was way out there about it. Wizard was fine, because he had enough forms to cover it up. Drive felt egregious, because you could tell Sanjo did not give a damn about Wild and Technic once they debuted.

When did you get modded?

Today.

jwk94

Just realized this thread doesn't have recommendations. For shame OP, for shame. Now how am I supposed to tell everyone to watch Gaim, Kabuto, and W?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

The thing I don't like about this approach is that the shows tend to lose a lot of steam once they run out of toys. I know they do this to keep the toys out for as long as they can but I think it shows a real weakness in the way they set everything up.

Right now it's

1. Refresh every year to boost sales and bring in the new generation of kids
2. Push as much out as possible in the first quarter
3. Put out updates in the 2nd and 3rd quarter
4. Discount in the 4th quarter. (Basically the last month and a half before the new show starts)

But like, toys don't have to be this way. And with the price a lot of these things go for, it's kind of a big liability for stores to carry this stuff. My local Aeon ALWAYS has a bunch of left over toys when the year is up. Right now there's like 8 or so Gekiatsu DaiOhs sitting on ckearance for 5000 a pop and have been that way since the new year.

How have the sales been for KR toys over Gaim, Drive and Ghost? I know Wizard trended down compared to Fourze, but I heard that the Gaim toys were popular and Drive toys didn't sell all that great at the start.

But like, toys don't have to be this way. And with the price a lot of these things go for, it's kind of a big liability for stores to carry this stuff. My local Aeon ALWAYS has a bunch of left over toys when the year is up. Right now there's like 8 or so Gekiatsu DaiOhs sitting on ckearance for 5000 a pop and have been that way since the new year.

That's the best part. If you get a good middleman, belts and stuff are mad cheap.

But yeah, they could do a much better job of letting this stuff sell all year around.

LostAnkh

How have the sales been for KR toys over Gaim, Drive and Ghost? I know Wizard trended down compared to Fourze, but I heard that the Gaim toys were popular and Drive toys didn't sell all that great at the start.
Gaim was popular for a while in toy sales and kinda dropped towards the end, but Drive crashed and burned from what I'm hearing.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

I don't really know exact numbers, but Ghost toys seem to always be in stock locally. I didn't have much problems finding Christmas presents this year like I did for Gaim.

Even though Yokai watch has slowed a lot, they are still eating everyone's lunch. Drive's problem was the belt was too complicated and the trinkets were too simple. Now Ghost is here the belt is fine, and the trinkets are fine and cheap, but like neither are very exciting.

Ninnin toys were fine to start out with, but they totally fucked up with the addons. Nothing really exciting for the morpher, and Shurikenjin and Shinobi maru were really cool at the beginning, but then they dumped them for the pretty lame Gakiatsu Daioh. And let's not even mention the 100 dollar giant lump of plastic that was Lion Ha-oh.

The other otomonin were pretty meh as well (outside of RodeoMaru, but again they totally just ignored him).

This is kind of the main problem, they don't really react to what is popular in a flexible way. They were smart for releasing a standalone Shinobi Maru but they fucked up by doing it through Premium Bandai at a completely prohibitive price aimed at only collectors. The yearly refresh really fucks them in this respect cause they always have to be moving on to the next thing despite whether or not something is working or not.

And this is really why Sentai/Kamen Rider are on the decline, because they are going through the motions just to keep this genre of toy afloat. If they do anything outside of the box they risk the market that they are barely holding onto already.

It's really sad how inept they are here compared to the west. The toys may not be as sophsiticated, but did you know there's basically no web presence for Sentai and Kamen Rider? Their websites are basically places to register your toys to enter raffles. In America my son can go to nick.com and watch videos, play -multitudes- of games based on shows he likes. Here there's barely even a viable mobile game based on these properties. (Whereas Yokai Watch has 3 best selling 3DS games, 2 hugely successful mobile titles, arcade games, so on.)

Bandai toys people are totally tone def with how kids work these days its not even funny. I am excited for ZyuOhger but like they aren't fooling anyone with that minecraft stuff. They need to fundamentally change how they do things.

Boss Doggie

One thing I have an issue towards mutliple riders, both Gaim and Ghost have, is the supposed "universal" collectible.

I mean I probably realize the toys recognize all of the collectibles, but in the show it doesn't feel like it. Like we would never see Gaim have Kiwi Arms or Baron have Pineapple Arms due to technical things (i.e. suit designs being costly). We haven't seen that yet in Ghost but I reckon we won't see Nekrom or Specter use, say, Robin Hood or stuff.

Drive didn't have that problem because apparently in-universe apparently the shift cars and signal bikes work differently, and the toys also do the same thing (simply saying Shift Car when you put it in the Mach device iirc). Meteor switch was a movie thing though I don't think Fourze's switches were used by Meteor right? Wizard was also explored (I think Beast's toy was gimped that it didn't work with Wizard rings?)

The thing I don't like about this approach is that the shows tend to lose a lot of steam once they run out of toys. I know they do this to keep the toys out for as long as they can but I think it shows a real weakness in the way they set everything up.

Right now it's

4. Discount in the 4th quarter. (Basically the last month and a half before the new show starts)

Oh I agree, I don't like how they are paced both in show and release. I feel like they're betting on so much in early quarter.

It makes me wonder why they made this approach though.

vareon

Right now it's

Kamen Rider and Super Sentai has been trying the same thing (only with different themes and gimmicks) for almost 10 years straight. It's kind of worse knowing that they basically carry the entire Tokusatsu genre now. I still enjoy the show but you can only try the exact same thing so far until people are bored.

One thing I have an issue towards mutliple riders, both Gaim and Ghost have, is the supposed "universal" collectible.

I mean I probably realize the toys recognize all of the collectibles, but in the show it doesn't feel like it. Like we would never see Gaim have Kiwi Arms or Baron have Pineapple Arms due to technical things (i.e. suit designs being costly). We haven't seen that yet in Ghost but I reckon we won't see Nekrom or Specter use, say, Robin Hood or stuff.

Drive didn't have that problem because apparently in-universe apparently the shift cars and signal bikes work differently, and the toys also do the same thing (simply saying Shift Car when you put it in the Mach device iirc). Meteor switch was a movie thing though I don't think Fourze's switches were used by Meteor right? Wizard was also explored (I think Beast's toy was gimped that it didn't work with Wizard rings?)

Actually, Gaim's suits were built to allow them to shift basic forms pretty easily. The undersuit design is built to have another bit dropped on top of it.

Gaim did many of the extra forms in Hyper Battle videos and stuff.

Ghost looks to be built around the same basic premise, with the Rider's undersuit not changing at all. The only issue there seems to be the faceplates - Ghost's have room for one horn, Spectre has two, and Necrom has that big thing sticking out. The toys just say "screw it":
Spectre wearing Edison Soul.

It's a rather smart way to do it, if you pull it off right. Modular suits really should be a part of every other Rider, I'd think.

Delio

K making a pledge to actually post in here this time. Kinda feels bad being a Toku fan and not being active lol. THEN AGAIN I skipped Sentai this year but Zyuohger is pulling me back in. Dino Charge has been fun as well so I hope Ninja Steel keeps it up.

Boss Doggie

Actually, Gaim's suits were built to allow them to shift basic forms pretty easily. The undersuit design is built to have another bit dropped on top of it.

Gaim did many of the extra forms in Hyper Battle videos and stuff.

Ghost looks to be built around the same basic premise, with the Rider's undersuit not changing at all. The only issue there seems to be the faceplates - Ghost's have room for one horn, Spectre has two, and Necrom has that big thing sticking out. The toys just say "screw it":
Spectre wearing Edison Soul.

It's a rather smart way to do it, if you pull it off right. Modular suits really should be a part of every other Rider, I'd think.

Ah I haven't seen the hyper videos. I always thought they'd be hard or expensive to integrate due to the visors thing (like that'd mean they'd have different visors for different forms).

And yeah that's mostly why I brought it up - the visors being the defining thing. So the figures have interchangeable suits too?

WillyFive

I don't really know exact numbers, but Ghost toys seem to always be in stock locally. I didn't have much problems finding Christmas presents this year like I did for Gaim.

Even though Yokai watch has slowed a lot, they are still eating everyone's lunch. Drive's problem was the belt was too complicated and the trinkets were too simple. Now Ghost is here the belt is fine, and the trinkets are fine and cheap, but like neither are very exciting.

Ninnin toys were fine to start out with, but they totally fucked up with the addons. Nothing really exciting for the morpher, and Shurikenjin and Shinobi maru were really cool at the beginning, but then they dumped them for the pretty lame Gakiatsu Daioh. And let's not even mention the 100 dollar giant lump of plastic that was Lion Ha-oh.

The other otomonin were pretty meh as well (outside of RodeoMaru, but again they totally just ignored him).

This is kind of the main problem, they don't really react to what is popular in a flexible way. They were smart for releasing a standalone Shinobi Maru but they fucked up by doing it through Premium Bandai at a completely prohibitive price aimed at only collectors. The yearly refresh really fucks them in this respect cause they always have to be moving on to the next thing despite whether or not something is working or not.

And this is really why Sentai/Kamen Rider are on the decline, because they are going through the motions just to keep this genre of toy afloat. If they do anything outside of the box they risk the market that they are barely holding onto already.

It's really sad how inept they are here compared to the west. The toys may not be as sophsiticated, but did you know there's basically no web presence for Sentai and Kamen Rider? Their websites are basically places to register your toys to enter raffles. In America my son can go to nick.com and watch videos, play -multitudes- of games based on shows he likes. Here there's barely even a viable mobile game based on these properties. (Whereas Yokai Watch has 3 best selling 3DS games, 2 hugely successful mobile titles, arcade games, so on.)

Bandai toys people are totally tone def with how kids work these days its not even funny. I am excited for ZyuOhger but like they aren't fooling anyone with that minecraft stuff. They need to fundamentally change how they do things.

I agree with this.

When I was a kid, I was big into Bionicle; and Lego had a ton of content online that would consume all my free time back then, making me into a very loyal Bionicle fankid.

Hey, good to see everyone in here. First full year of tokusatsu with my twins in tow, but they aren't quite old enough yet to watch and understand. I can't wait to introduce them to all of this. Plus they get to play with a few different henshin items that I have left over from when I used to collect them.

Delio

I kind of want to collect the Zyuohger mechs but the solid legs are kinda throwing me off. Then again I dont move my Megazords i have now around so i guess it wont matter.

Tiu Neo

Woo, new thread!

Maybe this is the year I finish watching all the Sentai. Probably not.

Those 6th Zyuohger rumors...
sounds a lot like GaoSilver doesn't it?

EDIT: Hm, saw now I was 5th on last year's thread. Didn't expect that, heh.

javadoze

7th place in posting ain't bad. Here's to another year in TokuGAF.

In other news, the Eagle Zyuman that gives Yamato his cube-thing is voiced by Kusaka from Faiz.

Right now it's

The weakness of this approach really started to become noticeable during Drive and Ninninger (and is now plaguing Ghost). Drive had some interesting ideas in regards to its various tire exchanges and forms, but it feels that they never really got to experiment with them with how fast and furious the toys were being introduced (looking at you, DeadHeat).

No surprise that Drive and Ninninger both slumped in toy sales (well, the latter is unknown at the moment, but I know Ninninger's Q1 didn't do so hot).

Zyuohger seems like a breath of fresh of fresh air due to the small amount of collectibles on display (that is, if the cubes are only applicable to mechs). I'm hoping next year's Rider follows the same trend (or, at least, chills out with Q1 toys).

Ah I haven't seen the hyper videos. I always thought they'd be hard or expensive to integrate due to the visors thing (like that'd mean they'd have different visors for different forms).

And yeah that's mostly why I brought it up - the visors being the defining thing. So the figures have interchangeable suits too?

Yeah, the base Ghost (GC01) and Spectre (GC03) figures are faceless, so you can drop on any Soul Coat and the face is attached, like above. Necrom (GC09) is equally compatible.

So kids can mix and match them. They probably won't do it on the show because of the faceplate issue.

Gaim had it easier, because the Visors were actually clear. The color came from the attached head piece, so you could swap pretty much anything.

Snaku

Banned
Drive is by the same writer as W and it's pretty good.

You should watch Fourze and definitely Gaim, they're both so good.

Gaim is the Kamen Rider show to watch. Fourze is also excellent, from the same writer as W.

Thanks for the advice guys. Watched the first couple of episodes of Drive and enjoyed it for the most part. Adore the Speed type suit, and how well it evokes the feeling of a hot sports car. Don't know how I feel about the Shift Cars. I get that they're trying to sell more toys and everything, but they're just so toyish. It's really jarring.

Top Bottom