• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 46

So long gramps. Yeah once his hand started fading, the "I was dead all along" twist was obvious. Though Kyuuemon just stabbing him out of nowhere was surprising.
Only two main villains left, it really shows just how underwhelming the villains were this season. They built up Gengetsu as this major world-ending threat, but in the end he's just a bland "I'm powerful and your attacks are like tickles to me" villain. It's like Toei pulled a 180 on characters from ToQger. That had lame heroes but awesome villains, Ninnin had decent characters with really lame villains.

I do appreciate that all six of them are the Last Ninja. Even if it's a copout, it's better than incompetent Taka "winning".

Really though, I'm just ready for Zyuohger. I hope Over-Time does it.

Tiu Neo

Any chance of a new Black movie or a 3rd Minami Kotaro series? No? Okay then.

Well, the actor is interested in reprising this role, he did return for Decade and the last Kamen Rider Taisen... If this Ichigo movie does well, who knows? Black was popular enough to have a sequel!

Maybe someday. With Joe finally getting his Rider powers, somehow.

NeonZ

Really, Black is the most likely past Rider to get another movie focused on him, after Rider 1, considering how often Black or Shadowmoon pop up in crossover movies. And now that they're giving a new form to Rider 1, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new Black or RX form either at some point.

People might say that they wouldn't need an update compared to older Riders, but due to being the most popular Showa Rider after the original it'd likely have more impact than any other new form aside from Rider 1's (although I'm saying this while expecting Rider 2 to get something this year too, it'll be really odd if Rider 1 looks like that and Rider 2 reappears with his old design).

Tiu Neo

Really, Black is the most likely past Rider to get another movie focused on him, considering how often Black or Shadowmoon pop up in crossover movies. And now that they're giving a new form to Rider 1, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new Black or RX either at some point.

I wonder how they would use Shadowmoon. If he does come back - and that is a very big possibility, imo - would he get a new form? Would he be Shadowmoon, or
turn into Nobuhiko again?
How would he
come back from the dead after 30 years?

Tiu Neo

Wouldn't that kinda ruin Shadowmoon's character arc?

Well...
Yes. It was already a bit weird in RX, but he did say he would come back on Black's ending.

But then, dunno if a lot of people would like a Black/RX movie without him. There's also the possibility that they created another Shadowmoon, not Nobuhiko. Or him returning
as an ally, with his memories as Nobuhiko.

NeonZ

I wonder how they would use Shadowmoon. If he does come back - and that is a very big possibility, imo - would he get a new form? Would he be Shadowmoon, or
turn into Nobuhiko again?
How would he
come back from the dead after 30 years?

Wouldn't that kinda ruin Shadowmoon's character arc?

A resurrected Shadowmoon already appeared several times as a villain. His original arc is pretty much ruined.

His first two returns didn't mess up anything, since it was the AU Shadowmoon in Decade and also a Shadowmoon from an altered timeline in Let's Go Kamen Riders. After those though he appeared as one of the commanders resurrected by Dai-Shocker in SHT (where Black and the Maskmen kill him again), and then he appeared as a resurrected monster once again, and leader of Space Shocker, in SHTZ (where he was killed by the Kyoryuger).

Tiu Neo

A resurrected Shadowmoon already appeared several times as a villain. His original arc is pretty much ruined.

His first two returns didn't mess up anything, since it was the AU Shadowmoon in Decade and also a Shadowmoon from an altered timeline in Let's Go Kamen Riders. After those though he appeared as one of the commanders resurrected by Dai-Shocker in SHT (where Black and the Maskmen kill him again), and then he appeared as a resurrected monster once again, and leader of Space Shocker, in SHTZ (where he was killed by the Kyoryuger).

Since Taisen GP is clearly not Kotaro from Black RX, at least, it's quite possible those movies would also be ignored if they ever make a Black/RX movie.

The other possibility is... ignore RX and make a Black movie. Would make a bit more sense for him to return. It could be also the third time they tell RX's origin story, heh.

NeonZ

Since Taisen GP is clearly not Kotaro from Black RX, at least, it's quite possible those movies would also be ignored if they ever make a Black/RX movie.

GP took place in an alternate timeline again, due to the alterations in the past caused by Shocker's machine, which is why Kotaro in the beginning is still Black and only becomes RX during the movie itself.

Of course, they could just use alternate timeline stuff again for a Shadowmoon return, but I don't think there's much point to that, especially if they want to hype a new form.

Tiu Neo

GP took place in an alternate timeline again, due to the alterations in the past caused by Shocker's machine, which is why Kotaro in the beginning is still Black and only becomes RX during the movie itself.

Of course, they could just use alternate timeline stuff again for a Shadowmoon return, but I don't think there's much point to that, especially if they want to hype a new form.

Ohhh, yeah, I kinda forgot that. Well, wait and see then, but I think ignoring the SHT movies would be the best not only for a possible Black movie, but also for this new Kamen Rider 1 movie.

Well, wait and see, I guess.

Shouta

If you folk haven't checked it out, I'd highly recommend the anime, Active Raid, that's showing this season.. You guys probably already know the writer but the show itself has a very distinct Toku style to it that really is scratching my itch there. It's super solid and really enjoyable.

If you folk haven't checked it out, I'd highly recommend the anime, Active Raid, that's showing this season.. You guys probably already know the writer but the show itself has a very distinct Toku style to it that really is scratching my itch there. It's super solid and really enjoyable.

The first two episodes were okay, but it definitely has that feeling of Agito's G3, blown up large.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 16

Necrom too stronk, plz nerf. I imagine they will soon.
Looks like we're getting into the meat of Ghost's story. I'm pleased with how things are turning out now.
Next week's new form looks great.

Shouta

The first two episodes were okay, but it definitely has that feeling of Agito's G3, blown up large.

Ep 4 is where the show has finally started to get together what they were aiming to do. Ep 3 is kinda funny/awkward but Ep 4 is getting that Toku flavor in properly, lol

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 46

Well, it was strange that grandpa was alive for 444 years.

Next week, finale. ToQger endgame was much stronger, imo. At least we got Grandpa and Dad transforming, even if it was for five minutes.

Ghost 16

Explanation of what we talked last week! Plus a bit of backstory.

Necrom is really OP. The next power up for Ghost/Spectre must be close. I wonder how many episodes until Necrom/Aran switch sides. It looks like it'll be rather sooner than later.

Also...

Decade - Hibiki Episodes

Those were very good! If Hibiki is as cool as those episodes, I may put it a bit higher on the queue.

vareon

Ep 4 is where the show has finally started to get together what they were aiming to do. Ep 3 is kinda funny/awkward but Ep 4 is getting that Toku flavor in properly, lol

That's good to hear. 1-3 didn't engage me that much, but I'll go ahead and watch 4.

ToQger 13 episodes in now.

I have to admit it didn't get more interesting until Z(Zed?) showed up. I like how he's obsessed with sparkling things. So far it's still ok to watch.

I've also started watching Kamen Rider Drive. With 9 episodes in, I like it more than I thought. I didn't give it a chance when it was airing.

I'm not feeling Kamen Rider Ghost at all so um..meh

Slayven

yeah been watching, it's ok but not really getting psyched yet. Don't like the main character.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Shame Grimm ended up as Necrom's Eyecon meaning it'll probably get sparse development, I'd love to know how and why an Eyecon contains the souls of two individuals...

So, Himiko next week. I'm glad Toei at the very least made one of the default Eyecons a woman (though we possibly have Nightingale somewhere down the line, guessing Ganbaride) but the other day I realized perhaps it would've been better if they switched out Houdini for Amelia Earhart for Spectre's flying form, plus you could've worked in her famous disappearance into the plot too. I just hope they don't go overboard and make Takeru act overly feminine just because he's using Himiko.

Slayven

Shame Grimm ended up as Necrom's Eyecon meaning it'll probably get sparse development, I'd love to know how and why an Eyecon contains the souls of two individuals...

So, Himiko next week. I'm glad Toei at the very least made one of the default Eyecons a woman (though we possibly have Nightingale somewhere down the line, guessing Ganbaride) but the other day I realized perhaps it would've been better if they switched out Houdini for Amelia Earhart for Spectre's flying form, plus you could've worked in her famous disappearance into the plot too. I just hope they don't go overboard and make Takeru act overly feminine just because he's using Himiko.

They been real inconsistent with whether the eyecons effect the users or not. I mean Robin Hood wasn't swinging around being a trickster.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, but then when Takeru used Goemon he inexplicably went full-on Kabuki, and also with Beethoven he really seemed to suddenly have a flair for music too.

Shouta

That's good to hear. 1-3 didn't engage me that much, but I'll go ahead and watch 4.

The case for 4 has bigger stakes than the first 3 episodes, which helps a lot. It's basically
an aerial version of Speed where the team has to defuse a bomb in flight while it has area ahd altitude restrictions. It has a buddy cop feel with the interaction of the two main male characters. The ep also introduces a few more elements that will probably be important for down the line.

yeah been watching, it's ok but not really getting psyched yet. Don't like the main character.

If there's one thing that's been an issue it's who's the main character is or is it a trio. The feeling I get is that it's supposed to be Kuroki, Sena, and Kazari but we've only seen it from Kazari's point of view and the other two have been in most of the action.

vareon

The case for 4 has bigger stakes than the first 3 episodes, which helps a lot. It's basically
an aerial version of Speed where the team has to defuse a bomb in flight while it has area ahd altitude restrictions. It has a buddy cop feel with the interaction of the two main male characters. The ep also introduces a few more elements that will probably be important for down the line.

Yeah 4 was much more enjoyable than 1-3, really fun.

Kakuranger DVD set coming out May 17th

Also, Elizabeth Banks cast as Rita Repulsa in the 2017 Power Rangers movie.
That's a really good choice.

javadoze

Near-Finale Sentai Ninninger 46

-I'm so sad how Tsumuji has just joined the team and makes such a good fit. I don't think I'd be lying if I said he's the one Ninninger I have the most emotional investment in. The fact that his suit actor turns to Fuuka after certain bits in a way to say "I did it!" was probably the best touch.

-Anguished scene... then in the middle... WATCH OUR MOVIE!

-So wait, can someone give me a coherent timeline of the events of Ninninger? Because I thought the timeline went like:

1. Igasaki Clan ancestor defeats Warlord Kibaoni.

2. Last Ninja title gets past on for a few generations and onto Yoshitaka.

3. Kibaoni gets revived as a yokai in Yoshitaka's time.

4. Yoshitaka seals away Kibaoni
and dies, but remains corporeal through the End Shuriken.

That said, where did the
Yoshitaka was alive for
444 years thing come from?

That said, where did the
Yoshitaka was alive for
444 years thing come from?

Yoshitaka sealed Gengetsu 444 years ago in a mutually destructive battle in the Sengoku era, but the End Shuriken helped sustain his life. That was the first time Gengetsu was defeated, and he prophesied that he would return in 444 years (by sending his own son's spirit into the future to work out his release).

That's how it goes.

Watch Da Birdie

So speaking of Heroic Eyecons, back in 2006 Nippon Television polled Japan (not sure how widely though) about their favorite Historical Figures...then a bit later narrowed the question down to Historical Heroes. I wonder if this possibly influenced Toei's choices?

Sakamoto Ryoma
Napoleon I
Oda Nobunaga
Saigo Takamori
Miyamoto no Yoshitsune
Jean of Arc
Hideyoshi Toyotomi
Albert Einstein
Yutaka Ozaki
Akechi Mitsuhide
Genghis Khan
Tokugaya Ieyasu
Thomas Edison
Florence Nightengale
Chiune Sugihara
Kyu Sakamoto
Hijikata Toshizo
Rikidozan
Yoshida Shoin
Mahatma Gandhi
Prince Shotoku
George Washington
Sanada Yukimura
Mother Teresa
Yujiro Ishihara
Kakuei Tanaka
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Abraham Lincoln
Oishi Yoshio
Okita Soji
Christopher Columbus

Admiral Togo Heihachiro
Martin Luther King Jr.
Andy Hug
Amakusa Shiro
Hideyo Noguchi
Bruce Lee
Leonardo da Vinci
Abe no Seimei
Walt Disney
Kondo Isami
Date Masamune
Akira Kurosawa
Julius Caesar
Chosuke Ikariya
Audrey Hepburn
Liu Bei
Ryunosuke Akutagawa
John Lennon
Takasugi Shinsaku
Naomi Uemura
Freddy Mercury
Isoroku Yamamoto
Osamu Tezuka
Ninomiya Sontoku
Charlie Chaplin
Diana, Princess of Wales
Ludwig van Beethoven
Ryotaro Shiba
Pablo Picasso
John F Kennedy
Yuri Gagarin
“Giant” Baba
Kong Ming
Anne Frank
Daijiro Kato
Cao Cao
Tokugawa Yoshimune
Arthur Conan Doyle
Elvis Presley
Galileo Galilei
Queen Himiko

Yusaku Matsuda
Pierre and Marie Curie
Ferdinand Magellan
James Dean
Yukio Mishima
Taira no Masakado
Hokusai
Sen no Rikyu
Kiyoshi Atsumi
Federic Chopin
Babe Ruth
Sun Yat-sen
Ayrton Senna
Takanohana Koji
William Shakespeare
Shirasu Jiro
Taira no Kiyomori
Eisaku Sato
The Wright Brothers
Stanely Kubrick
Theodore Roosevelt
Hiraga Gennai
Miyamoto Musashi
Eiji Tsuburaya
Abebe Bikila
Eiji Sawamura
Isaac Newton
Matthew Calbraith Perry

It makes me wonder what some of the other Eyecons based on these dudes would be like...I want a Stanley Kubrick Eyecon.

Slayven

Everyone's favorite sounding henshin device?

Faiz
Blade
Kamen Rider Arc

If there's one thing that's been an issue it's who's the main character is or is it a trio. The feeling I get is that it's supposed to be Kuroki, Sena, and Kazari but we've only seen it from Kazari's point of view and the other two have been in most of the action.

If they give the other 2 screen time that will up the show for me.

Top Bottom