• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

NeonZ

How's Kamen Rider fairing I assume that the toy and show get better rating than Super Sentai?

Ratings and toy sales are higher, although the ratings are following a similar trend to Sentai's - pretty much every series getting lower ratings than the last one since OOO. In Rider's case though, oddly, Wizard and Ghost have been the two shows that managed to raise ratings a bit during their runs. Part of the problem seems to be the suits though - shows with suits that are considered weird like Fourze, Gaim and Ex-Aid seem to get lower 1st episode ratings boosts than shows with more serious/standard suit designs.

Toy-wise it's faring better though. Only Drive really saw a significant drop in sales (almost going back to pre-W numbers), with every other series failing to match Rider's peak with OOO and Fourze, but still having significantly higher numbers than even W (which beat every Heisei Rider show that aired before it in toy sales). Gaim was the third best selling one, although there's a gap between it and OOO and Fourze, which had very close numbers.

WarRock

Well to be fair, Niko is still a child...then again we had Fourze who was a high school teen so what do I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That is a good point. There are any child sentai/rider besides KibaRanger and... uh, Kiva, I guess? Oh we just got ToQger too.

Tiu Neo

Hibiki also had Teen Riders
with Akira for one whole episode, and then that annoying rival which I forgot the name.

Well to be fair, Niko is still a child...then again we had Fourze who was a high school teen so what do I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, her Bugster was dormant, while Emu's bugster is... weird? I mean, it manifests itself from time to time, but it is a bit different from the other bugsters we saw.

She probably could Henshin on last episode, it's just that Snipe didn't let her.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nah, the bugster being dormant was Hiiro just guessing since there was no precedent for that. I definitely think she caught the bugster flu when she tried to transform without the immunization.

Again, Emu has more than "he has bugster sickness".

NeonZ

You would think by now they would have tried a serious female secondary rider.

Roleplay toys pretty much guarantee there will never be an actual secondary female Rider (at most, you'll get a better executed Marika). Boys wouldn't buy a Rider belt and pretend to be a girl. Roleplay belts and the trinkets tied to them are actually the best selling part of the toyline too.

Roleplay toys pretty much guarantee there will never be an actual secondary female Rider. Children wouldn't buy a Rider belt and pretend to be a girl. Those belts are actually the best selling part of the toyline too.

Marika's lockseed in Gaim was the cheapest of the lot and it never sold well, too. Girl toys in Rider just don't sell. That's how it is.

Slayven

Considering the trend has been for the majority of riders of a series to use the same belt, they could sneak it in

Hell Paradox doesn't even have a belt

WarRock

Well, since the problem is selling the transforming toys, I thought making a couple double rider.

Might help bringing boys and girls together in Japan again too, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sou Da

I just made it to Exaid 16, I fucking knew Tekken would show up in this series.

How the hell is Tekken 7 there in 2010?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So we're almost at the time for a new OT. What should be featured in the OP?

Kyuranger
Ex-Aid
Zyuohger (last few episodes are in 2017)
Amazons Season 2
PR Ninja Steel

PR Movie
Ultra Super Hero Taisen

Uhhhh... Time Traveling Bugster?

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid is in the ~FUTURE~ (2024?)

Kyuranger
Ex-Aid
Amazons Season 2
PR Ninja Steel

PR Movie
Ultra Super Hero Taisen

Uhhhh... Time Traveling Bugster?

Maybe Garo? I don't watch it, but there is a series running right now.

Ultraman? There's that Orb spinoff (that may or may not show up on Amazon).

Pluto

Kyuranger
Ex-Aid
Amazons Season 2
PR Ninja Steel

PR Movie
Ultra Super Hero Taisen
Ex-Aid, Kyuranger, Amazons and maybe Ninja Steel should be featured.
Maybe some recommendations of older shows for newbies (like 2 or 3 each for rider and sentai) but I wouldn't overload it with too much information, I wouldn't try to squeeze every franchise in (sorry Garo and Ultraman) and I wouldn't mention movies either.

So what's the OT's name gonna be?
TokuGaf 2017 |OT| Playing Doctor in outer space

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There are already preview pics for Ex-Aid's next ep (one is very spoilerish even), but I chuckled at this

Wy4wSBu.jpg

Genm Switch!

WillyFive

Zyohger finale

The final suit-less roll call is one of my favorite parts of Super Sentai, but that is one thing that Toei should not have standardized. The entire final episode's structure is an exact copy of the script used for ToQger's final episode; and the final roll call itself seems to have used the same exact template as both Ninninger's and ToQger's final roll call.They have always been my most anticipated part of the finale, but if Toei is just gonna do the same exact thing every year, what's the point?

Anyway, the passing of the torch with the next Red was pretty funny this year at least.

My rankings for Anniversary Seasons (post Sentai/Super Sentai merger)

1. Gokaiger
2. Carranger
[massive gulf in quality]
3. ZyOhger
4. Boukenger
5. Gaoranger

As for Power Rangers, Ninja Steel is the most unpleasant experience watching this show since the Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury days. Everything from the horrific VO acting to overbearing music to terrible editing to bad SFX work to baffling adaptation decisions, it's the full mountain of stupid I haven't seen from PR since the Kalish era.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeaaah I'm not enjoying Ninja Steel. I'll watch to the end since I prefer not dropping shows but this has been a serious downgrade.

The sound mixing is worse than ever. I can barely understand what people are saying.
I hate the new cockpit. It just looks too samey as Dino Charge. Do we really need to sell new armor toys that will only be used in the Megazord? Just sell the toys and don't force them into the show. Just like the recolored Megazords, they never change color in show (unless David Pro made it).

I'm not sure who's at fault. The writers, or Nickelodeon, because this and Super Charge have had all the trappings of modern Nick sitcoms.

Nudull

Banned
Yeaaah I'm not enjoying Ninja Steel. I'll watch to the end since I prefer not dropping shows but this has been a serious downgrade.

The sound mixing is worse than ever. I can barely understand what people are saying.
I hate the new cockpit. It just looks too samey as Dino Charge. Do we really need to sell new armor toys that will only be used in the Megazord? Just sell the toys and don't force them into the show. Just like the recolored Megazords, they never change color in show (unless David Pro made it).

I'm not sure who's at fault. The writers, or Nickelodeon, because this and Super Charge have had all the trappings of modern Nick sitcoms.

I really want to like it, but the more I watch, the more cobbled together the whole season feels. The Nick sitcom comparisons are apt.

I'll stick with it, but this is quickly feeling like a major step down compared to Dino Charge.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 48 (FINAL)

The last fight is final boss with a small touch of Deus Ex Machina. The buildup to this episode was a bit uneven, and it kinda is a standard final episode. We knew how this would be, I just wish they spent more than a few episodes on Genis. He did nothing the whole series, mas menacing for a few episodes, killed Naria to show how evil he was, and was defeated by pretty much the "Planet not accepting him" plus a new form for Red, at the end. As someone said before, just like ToQger.

Now, the good part: That last fight between OP Yamato and Genis was cool. Genis was a badass villain, even if he was nothing most of the series. And that last fight with the giant normal-form Genis reminded me of older sentai's final boss fights. This was well done.

The merging of the worlds was a cool idea, even if I'm not really sure of how... easily everything was solved? Just imagine the problems that would cause, haha.

It was a nice ending, anyway, for a nice series.

---------------------------------------------

About the whole series: It was a good run. Not the greatest, but way better than ToQ and Ninnin. It's probably high on my list, and I hope the next series go up from there.

Focus on characters was one of the best thing in this, and I'm a bit sad that this will probably be downgraded on Kyuranger. Each character had their time on the spotlight, their relationships with each other were well defined, and each character combination had their own focus episode, which is quite impressive.

I think the villains were the weak point in this. The Deathgallien weren't really menacing, and I think Bunglay kinda overstayed his welcome. Don't get me wrong, when they had good moments, they had GOOD moments - Bunglay, Kubar, Azand and Genis had they good/menacing moments, but most of the series they either did nothing, or repeated their own thing that didn't work before to exhaustion. They... worked for the series, but could be so much more.

Another impressive thing here is the action - Most of the times, it was as good as Ninninger at its best, and even better at times. They really did some different thing here, and it worked. The only thing I really miss from Nin, at this point, are the cool mechas.

Oh, and I kinda wish that rumor of every member getting their own power ups was true, too, but eh, that's asking too much, I guess. At least the series wasn't as red-centric as the previous ones, and when it had to be, Yamato was a way better character than Takaharu, Daigo and Right. My first impression of Lucky is that he's a step back, but let's wait and see.

why was Sela's sister CG

Amu's mother was CG as well, lol.

Zoo-oh Final

This was a teeny tiny bit rushed, but still, a decent conclusion. I liked the idea behind Genis' weakness, but that could have been done a lot better and a lot earlier. I think the pacing is really this series' weakness. It had a ton of good ideas, but didn't implement then as evenly as it could have been. Yamato's Father issues was put on the back burner for way too long and Genis, while an awesome villain, stayed on his ass for way too long.

Genis' reason for choosing Miichan was interesting, but dropping it on us for that one minute wasn't a good way of showing it.

Naria's death was, eh. She could have stayed dead in the last episode, but we had to have more confirmation that Genis was a bad dude.

The world's combing seems like a terrible thing though when you think about. Especially given how Lari and Bard's story went when they first arrived. It isn't like the others have been slowly staying in their true forms as the series progressed, allowing humans to get comfortable with the idea.

Overall, I really enjoyed the series.

Tiu Neo

why was Sela's sister CG

That was really weird, how she was hugging but not really touching anything, lol.

That is my only regret, team wide powerups should always be a thing.

Yes, and the helmets did look like they could change forms, just like Yamato's.

Well, maybe Kyuranger will have something like this? Kinda hard, with 9+ members, but eh, maybe if they do something like Deka's Swat Mode.

I imagine they don't really have access to detailed shark helmets, because they're not the kind of thing you imagine when you go into joke shops or costume shops. That'll be why they CGI'ed them in.

Top Bottom