• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

WarRock

I'm kinda bummed we never got a scene with Shin just chilling and washing his car, talking about engines and stuff. Besides the OP, the closest we had to that was he admiring Krim's collection in the movie.

We got Kakurangers coming.
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2016/01/shout-factory-announces-kakuranger-dvd-set/

During their Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger marathon, Shout! Factory surprised fans with a commercial for their newest Super Sentai DVD set, Ninja Sentai Kakuranger. Shout, the company responsible for the Zyuranger and Dairanger sets, will release the Kakuranger DVDs sometime in 2016.

Ninja Sentai Kakuranger is the eighteenth installment in Toei’s long-running Super Sentai franchise. Kakuranger tells the story of legendary ninja’s modern-day descendants as they become Kakurangers to battle the evil Youkai

javadoze

My thoughts on Surprise Future are pretty close to what I think of the show in general: pretty alright. It's not quite on the level of the Double and Fourze movies, but it had some decent action and story beats that put it above OOO's, Wizard's, and Gaim's movies.

I'm kinda bummed we never got a scene with Shin just chilling and washing his car, talking about engines and stuff. Besides the OP, the closest we had to that was he admiring Krim's collection in the movie.

The weirdness of their relationship is how they keep stating how they're "partners", but most of the show mainly has Krim keeping secrets, being a stick-in-the-mud, and sometimes outright being a non-presence. Most of the stuff that I really liked about Krim was mainly from the first couple of episodes from the show (when his identity was under wraps and there were less characters to focus on) and anything concerning Banno. Drive's movie war segment (in Gaim/Drive) and Surprise Future were some nice exceptions, though.

WarRock

The weirdness of their relationship is how they keep stating how they're "partners", but most of the show mainly has Krim keeping secrets, being a stick-in-the-mud, and sometimes outright being a non-presence. Most of the stuff that I really liked about Krim was mainly from the first couple of episodes from the show (when his identity was under wraps and there were less characters to focus on) and anything concerning Banno. Drive's movie war segment (in Gaim/Drive) and Surprise Future were some nice exceptions, though.
I mean that more because we never saw the car aficionado side from Shin he supposedly has. He has some cool moments bonding with Krim in the later half of the show, though it's hardly Philip x Shotaro levels of partnership.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Who was the lady cameo in the beginning of surprise drive? The chief for the day

The idol girl with a name similar to Hatsune Miku?
According to the KR Wiki, her name is Miwako Kakei. The only source linked there is Japanese Wikipedia which I can't read.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The one police dude who was oddly hard-assed (and suspicious enough you thought he was a Roidmude), he was probably a celebrity too right? At the end it sounded like he was shouting his catchphrase or something.

Japanese movies love these weird cameos though. I know like the Pokemon films even get dudes to voice the Pokemon---and not the ones that talk either, like getting a judo star to go "Hippopotas!".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The one police dude who was oddly hard-assed (and suspicious enough you thought he was a Roidmude), he was probably a celebrity too right? At the end it sounded like he was shouting his catchphrase or something.

Japanese movies love these weird cameos though. I know like the Pokemon films even get dudes to voice the Pokemon---and not the ones that talk either, like getting a judo star to go "Hippopotas!".

The one who killed Shin's dad?

But yeah, Japan likes cameos a lot.

Tiu Neo

I like it. Ichigo and Nigo were always a bit bulky, that's probably close to how they would be if they were designed today, I think.

Even better, Hiroshi Fujioka is Takeshi Hongo once again. Nice!

(Has anyone subbed KR1? I may watch it before the movie comes out.)

NeonZ

I'd guess that the extra bulk is to make it more realistic that it's actually current Fujioka in the suit. Rider 1 was clearly slimmer than him in Rider Taisen.

The new design is more along the lines of 3 and 4.
tumblr_nlwdrdw0YE1r2qa3jo1_1280.jpg

vareon

I'd guess that the extra bulk is to make it more realistic that it's actually current Fujioka in the suit. Rider 1 was clearly slimmer than him in Rider Taisen.

I hope he fights like in Showa vs Heisei: slow and heavy, but packs some serious punch. Is that really Fujioka himself in the suit, or the suit was made to match Fujioka's current physics?

Tiu Neo

I hope he fights like in Showa vs Heisei: slow and heavy, but packs some serious punch. Is that really Fujioka himself in the suit, or the suit was made to match Fujioka's current physics?

Probably the second? I think he stopped being his own suit actor after the accident back ok KR1.

That, and he's almost 70 years old. No matter how well he is, that suit looks heavy.

BatDan

Ninninger 45

Three Reds?! Kobayashi is kicking herself for not thinking of it.
That's certainly one way of getting around the "kill me to be the Last Ninja" twist. Essentially "we are all the Last Ninja now".
I predict how next week will go down.
They all kill Kibaoni, Kyuuemon kills grandpa, gets the End Shuriken, powers up to that form in the preview, becomes the actual final villain. No idea how Gabi or the wife will play into it though

So Kamen Rider 1 Gear Fourth?

Bouncing all over the place?

The suit is clearly designed so that it looks like current Fujioka transforming into the Rider. Probably Okamoto in the suit, since he's the dude they call for hefty characters.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 45

Grandpa is OP. Also, NingerZooka, heh.

Dad and grandpa transforming was cool, but wish they had at least different visors or something like that.

It kinda makes me think of Batman Beyond, the suit Bruce Wayne wore when he was an old man before he chose Terry to be the next Batman.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would but I'm not good at picking quotes and such, I can only do generic banners and shit (if you've seen the work of my OTs)

javadoze

Kamen Rider 4 web series

-I enjoy seeing more of Yuuto and Takumi seeing how little screentime they got in the Kamen Rider GP movie.

-Kamen Rider 4 has a pretty great design (the air pilot motif all feels very natural and almost something that would've been done in a Showa-era Rider show). Though my one complaint is how they skimped on the opportunity to give him a human form (and feature Eternal's actor as another rider).

-Huh? What? Did they just
kill off Takumi
? I know this will probably be disregarded by the time the next spring movie comes out, but it still came as a shock.

KpFR3e3.png

NeonZ

I know this will probably be disregarded by the time the next spring movie comes out, but it still came as a shock.

Well, the newest scans for the Rider 1 movie only show Rider 1, Spectre and Ghost. The leaked location pictures have only shown Rider 1, Ghost and maybe Rider 3. There's nothing hinting at another All Riders team up yet. Of course, that's just chapter 1 of the Super Hero Year, so it could happen later on.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Kamen Rider 4 web series

-I enjoy seeing more of Yuuto and Takumi seeing how little screentime they got in the Kamen Rider GP movie.

-Kamen Rider 4 has a pretty great design (the air pilot motif all feels very natural and almost something that would've been done in a Showa-era Rider show). Though my one complaint is how they skimped on the opportunity to give him a human form (and feature Eternal's actor as another rider).

-Huh? What? Did they just
kill off Takumi
? I know this will probably be disregarded by the time the next spring movie comes out, but it still came as a shock.

KpFR3e3.png

where did you watch this?

Just got finished with Ghost 15. Necrom is taking their time appearing, and its a bit ass that
Javel is revived and back despite getting BTFO
. Hope it doesn't become a habit in the series.

BatDan

Ghost 15

Both Riders make progress this episode, that I like to see. The Sage and Yurusen are starting to get irritating though, with their vagueness and refusal to help.

Next week looks major with the arrival of Necrom.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 15

So, the Ganma are immortal? Or just
Javel?
Onari "befriending" Goemon was funny, hehehe.

Makoto
isn't actually human? He became something else? Or was that only my impression? Kanon's reaction when she saw Aran makes me think there is a bit more to this whole situation.

Houdini is cool, good to see the secondary rider get a decent new form.

Good episode overall, next week we'll finally see Necrom.

NeonZ

Ghost 15

So, the Ganma are immortal? Or just
Javel?
Onari "befriending" Goemon was funny, hehehe.

The Ganma are... ghosts. I don't get why people reject that idea so much. People have referenced them as ghosts in the show various times and have never been corrected, and we had the Ganma talking about how "living bodies" are just tools to them a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom