• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Wookieomg

Anyone wanna help me out for a sec? Trying to get this mod installed and the part of the readme for v0.7 that says:

"In render profile find the words quality="_runtime" and change it to "ultra" save the file and close"

doesn't really make sense to me. I've ctrl+f'd in the GamerProfile.xml and the only line with _runtime on it is:

id="_runtime"

And besides that, I have an instance of Quality already. It says:

Quality="optimal"

Which do I change?

The bloom in 0.7 is pretty ridicolous. Just look at this:

Spj6tkC.jpg

ZXWFVKr.jpg

Hmmmmm. I'm definitely going to back up my current stuff before I install 0.7.

Dries

My impressions with 0.7 so far:

- sadly, the stuttering is still there. It still stutters like shit

- it looks AMAZING
- headlights are still glitchy
- still can't run Ultra textures with my 2GB GTX770
- rain looks AMAZING, but comes with a performance hit of 5-10 fps
- otherwise no performance hit whatsoever

Overall, kind of dissapointed. The thing I wanted most was the removal of the stuttering, but it didn't help much it seemed.

scitek

To all the people companying about PC gamer referring to this as a mod, you do realise this is the original thread title of this.

The maker him/her self is even referring to it as a MOD. But seriously, don't you all (the people going after PC Gamer) think your going a bit overboard simply because they referred to this as a mod?.

TheWorse actually started off saying "I don't consider myself to be a modder" but everyone kept insisting that he was.

I see people posting youtube quality gifs/screencaps so i am posting clearer ones. This is what the 2012 demo looked like. It never had that horrible close dof.

iYKuqoKiP5TFs.png

ib2jhffTrRh9y2.png

iwWAxOUxFiZzB.png

Durante

TheWorse actually started off saying "I don't consider myself to be a modder" but everyone kept insisting that he was.

While I don't think the distinction is particularly important, I'd call this a "tweak". A "mod" is usually something introducing entirely new stuff (either code or assets).

Devildoll

I took the liberity of reinstalling Watch Dogs and opening the shader.dat file.

In it's entirety; the contents of 'deferredambient.inc.fx'

Code:
[B]// This is PC only, who cares.
float3 upperColor = DefaultProbeUpperColor;
#endif[/B]

I stand corrected; it's actually in there. Not that it matters, it seems this entire inc was targeted for PS3/360; so in context there's nothing wrong with the comment.

That full post got posted on guru3d by styckx
The same guy who on page 52 posted the image of the text, so this isn't actually more proof, its just same proof in a different format from the same source.

I'm not necessarily doubting him, its just that we still don't have multiple sources, unless that part about TheWorse confirming it being true.

Edit: oh you actually opened the file yourself? well that settles it then.
how does one open a dat/fat pair btw?

UrbanRats

I took the liberity of reinstalling Watch Dogs and opening the shader.dat file.

In it's entirety; the contents of 'deferredambient.inc.fx'

Code:
[B]// This is PC only, who cares.

I stand corrected; it's actually in there. Not that it matters, it seems this entire inc was targeted for PS3/360; so in context there's nothing wrong with the comment.

ieTmLDB0V7xzo.gif

Amazing, this needs to blow up big time, just so i can witness Ubisoft's masterclass spin.

ieTmLDB0V7xzo.gif

Amazing, this needs to blow up big time, just so i can witness Ubisoft's masterclass spin.

It won't because in context it makes perfect sense, if you had bothered to read it you'd have understood why.

As for that 0.7b file, it made zero difference in standing still DoF.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
From "deferredambient.inc.fx":

yGCQWdT.jpg

Lol.

Okay, now THAT kinda pisses me off Ubisoft. First you put Conquest Frontier Wars out to die, and now this. Grrrr.....

Edit: eh, after viewing the entire file, I'm pretty sure the coder was just making a sarcastic comment due to PC's being able to do anything when compared to the Xbox. It was actually a PC compliment. Cool. :)

Kadayi

Banned
Wow, why would they not enable this to begin with? I'm sure there would have been more PC sales if they done this.

I'm going to guess it's a mix of: -

1) Because it would make the new consoles look second rate.

2) You likely need a kick ass PC rig to run the game competently with them on.

I'm interested to try out the mod, but as I have issues getting the game to run without freezing up occasionally I'll wait until ubi patch those issues

Okay, now THAT kinda pisses me off Ubisoft. First you put Conquest Frontier Wars out to die, and now this. Grrrr.....

Keep in mind, it may not mean what many think it means. Could secribe some PC specific code that can be ignored for consoles or something.

Still funny when you think of Ubi's PC support.

Gurrry

The only thing Ubi is going to say is that it effected performance across various PC's too negatively to include it.

Anything else would shock me

i6hzIIPO1U6PW.png

Holy shit, the edit added all of the fog too?!?!

Now, THAT, is hilarious.

UrbanRats

It won't because in context it makes perfect sense, if you had bothered to read it you'd have understood why.

Yeah just saw that it was probably a note for other shaders programmers.

Too bad, could've been a fun development.

I'm going to guess it's a mix of: -

1) Because it would make the new consoles look second rate.

2) You likely need a kick ass PC rig to run the game competently with them on.

I'm interested to try out the mod, but as I have issues getting the game to run without freezing up occasionally I'll wait until ubi patch those issues
Going by their recommended specs, you already need that to just run the game.
Besides, the game stutters like crazy anyway, might as well push the visuals.

epmode

I can't bring myself to get annoyed at the comment in that configuration file. That line can mean all sorts of different things depending on context.

ymgve

From "deferredambient.inc.fx":

yGCQWdT.jpg

Lol.

I haven't looked much at the files yet, but this is from some file that is related to the 360/PS3 version of the game. As the code is written in context (which this crop conveniently leaves out) both PS4, XBone AND PC will go down the "who cares" path.

Faith

Many people are talking in neogaf saying this is not a mod and I should not consider it one.

I never intended to call this a Mod whatsoever so please stop. You guys told me it was so I heard you. And a mod stands for modification, and this is one, many modifications to the default files. About comparissons do one day light and raining too. Don't compare clear night because You'll not see so much difference. I'm still into change the values of night colors etc to be more realistic.

Being hard on me saying this is enable or disable =1 o =0 it's not cool, I guess I only know how much time I've dedicated to getting this to THIS point.

Thanks again for the support and if you suffer stuttering with this version tell me about your specs to further investigate about it.

I'll update the new version and the fix for the normal camera to mediafire.

There is no anamorphic lensflares yet. That will be included for 0.8 if I get it to working properly.
There guys, there.

The only thing Ubi is going to say is that it effected performance across various PC's too negatively to include it.

Anything else would shock me

i6hzIIPO1U6PW.png

Holy shit, the edit added all of the fog too?!?!

Now, THAT, is hilarious.
No this is from the 2012 video, i'm just posting clearer pictures instead of youtube screencaps.

Asgaro

It IS a mod, guys.
I don't understand what's the discussion about.

Mod: short for "Modification".
Did TheWorse MODIFY the game, yes or no?

I'll answer for you: yes, he modified booleans.

If you would verify the game files on Steam, some files will probably get overwritten with redownloaded files because you MODIFIED the game.

So "mod" is the correct term.

Handy Fake

It IS a mod, guys.

If you would verify the game files on Steam, some files will probably get overwritten because you MODIFIED the game.

It's about as 'modding' as changing the aliasing levels in the settings.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There guys, there.
I think I really like this guy and his attitude, and wish the conversation were focused more around the mod or tweak or whatever the fuck it is (performance on various rigs, comparison shots/webms in different settings, ideal in-game settings, etc.) and less about exactly how many puppies ubisoft has murdered.

It IS a mod, guys.

If you would verify the game files on Steam, some files will probably get overwritten with redownloaded files because you MODIFIED the game.

So if I modify the cfg to render at say 3890x2160 or if I modified the cfg to create a hotkey that hides the hud on press did I create a mod? D:

Handy Fake

I think I really like this guy and his attitude, and wish the conversation were focused more around the mod or tweak or whatever the fuck it is (performance on various rigs, comparison shots/webms in different settings, ideal in-game settings, etc.) and less about exactly how many puppies ubisoft has murdered.

Watch_puppies?

sad_face_5_look_away.gif

Garcia

Top Bottom