• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Faith

TheWorse said:
I didn't find yet the settings for the particles so I can't do anything about it.

For 0.8 I'll tune down the bloom don't worry, is not unplayable anyways so please wait a bit more until then.
Perfect :)

Can't wait to download 0.8.

Guri

About the "is a mod" or "isn't a mod" thing, he's what he said:

Many people are talking in neogaf saying this is not a mod and I should not consider it one.

I never intended to call this a Mod whatsoever so please stop. You guys told me it was so I heard you. And a mod stands for modification, and this is one, many modifications to the default files. About comparissons do one day light and raining too. Don't compare clear night because You'll not see so much difference. I'm still into change the values of night colors etc to be more realistic.

Being hard on me saying this is enable or disable =1 o =0 it's not cool, I guess I only know how much time I've dedicated to getting this to THIS point.

Thanks again for the support and if you suffer stuttering with this version tell me about your specs to further investigate about it.

I'll update the new version and the fix for the normal camera to mediafire.

There is no anamorphic lensflares yet. That will be included for 0.8 if I get it to working properly.

And I agree. It's still a hard work and it doesn't matter if it's called a mod or not. I get the repercussions, since the idea of not being a mod is to understand it's Ubi's fault, but the guy went out of his way to find settings, change them, test them and then release to the public. We should be grateful for that and then criticize Ubisoft.

And like I said, let's wait for new versions and give feedback so he can improve what he's making. Remember, he's just one guy working on his free time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not that I want to downplay TheWorse's contributions as they are great but... lol.
Durante made the point that if you want to be all technical about it, any new code makes a mod; buuut in that very same post he wisely stipulated that it doesn't matter.
Is this really important to know if we need to call it a mod or a tweak ?
Fuck. No.
I'm going to "mod" some posting privileges momentarily unless you guys stop navel gazing. Nobody bloody cares. Get back on topic.
S5XbsOv.gif

I'm tempted to get this on Steam now. It's still £40 though.
The Steam Summer Sales begin on the 19th, so hold out until then in case it happens to go on sale at all. That would allow adequate time for tweaking of the patch and for people to find any bugs.

Genio88

I've been playing the 0,7 version, bloom is really too high, the performance are a bit improved but not that much, i still have lag when driving fast, on a r9 290 OC, graphics in general looks better, but still not close to that famous E3 demo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Those 2012 shots actually too look pretty similar to some of the ones I've seen posted here before .7, seemingly. Post more webms/images from the fixed 0.7b or whatever the latest is!

DF on (.7 fixed)

DF off

(edit) One with DF on and without the carlight in the way.

Good luck spotting an invading player one block away with that DOF filter on.

I do not like DOF in gaming. When my eyes focus on an object in real life, the other objects around me go out of focus. As soon as I shift my eyes to another object, that object snaps into focus and the rest go out of focus.

In a game, the DOF is putting objects closest to the camera in focus and the scene in the background is blurred. If I want to shift my focus to a block away, I can't. The game has decided to keep it blurry for me. I do not like this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good luck spotting a invading player one block away with that DOF filter on.

I do not like DOF in gaming. When my eyes focus on an object in real life, the other objects around me go out of focus. As soon as I shift my eyes to another object, that object snaps into focus and the rest go out of focus.

In a game, the DOF is putting objects closest to the camera in focus and the scene in the background is blurred. If I want to shift my focus to a block away, I can't. The game has decided to keep it blurry for me. I do not like this.
It is quite literally an on/off setting in the in-game options.

I agree with this 100%, but in screenshots and videos it can look quite nice. I'll be disabling DoF when I'm actually playing.

Buburibon

Headlight shadows still borked.

Not sure DOF is strong enough now.

May use old version.

It'd be nice to be able to set the DoF ourselves, as most people will never agree on just how much is really enough. I personally think it's still too shallow, as it blurs things that are literally across the street. If I had it my way, I'd limit it to the tail end of the focal length, or about 1 average downtown block away while on foot.

It is quite literally an on/off setting in the in-game options.

I'm not arguing over the ability to have it or not.

People are saying DOF makes the game look better, and how dare Ubisoft remove it from the final game, and look at how shitty the game looks without it!

And I'm saying DOF does not make the game look better. I don't consider it a "graphics downgrade" getting rid of DOF.

Maybe Ubisoft disabled it because they didn't have the time to get it looking the way they wanted it to? Maybe they received such a wide level of performance from different PC systems using it, that they decided it was better to simply disable it completely rather than deal with support tickets from people who were trying to get it working the way they wanted to but couldn't?

Whatever the reason for disabling it completely, my point still stands that I don't think it makes the game look better.

R_Deckard

Headlight shadows still borked.

Not sure DOF is strong enough now.

May use old version.

Headlights still flicker about

Shadows still seem to operate at 5 fps from cars

Bloom is overkill

Not that much more than standard (now the Tunnel Vision has been turned off)

The FPS killer in rain and night is about 8-10 as someone else said and not worth it.

The DoF comes free it seems but makes sense as AA can be turned off on the render here.

Performance and Textures are Identical no change at all, repeat 0 perf boost

To surmise, features turned off/toned down due to aesthetic/artistic reasons or just not finished/buggy.

Pyronite

People are saying DOF makes the game look better, and how dare Ubisoft remove it from the final game, and look at how shitty the game looks without it!

And I'm saying DOF does not make the game look better. I don't consider it a "graphics downgrade" getting rid of DOF.

Maybe Ubisoft disabled it because they didn't have the time to get it looking the way they wanted it to? Maybe they received such a wide level of performance from different PC systems using it, that they decided it was better to simply disable it completely rather than deal with support tickets from people who were trying to get it working the way they wanted to but couldn't?

Whatever the reason for disabling it completely, my point still stands that I don't think it makes the game look better.

I was going to say something similar.

DOF looks nice in screenshots and helps eliminate aliasing but it's not a good way to play most games. It should be limited to very light DOF during gameplay - not "I can't see an enemy player a block from here". I didn't like the weird painterly effect GTA IV presented, and that was far more subtle than the screenshots we've seen in here.

The dynamic lighting is something I wish were in the final game, but apparently it has issues.

syko de4d

Could we get a way better DoF with accurate and fast eye tracking? Maybe VR will push cheap and good consumer eye tracking in the next years and it will find its way to normal gaming.

BenouKat

Banned

Depends completly how you use it. A discrete but present DOF at the right moment can add a very cool visual effect.

Now if you're point is just "I don't like DOF" => "DOF is useless", nobody is agree aboutthat. And where Ubisoft fails, its because they dont give us the choice. Period.

DOF is not the only thing they disabled, though. Reflection and lighting changes, as well as the addition to rain and civilian density are good improvements.

Pimpbaa

Does any of this improve the bland look of daytime (with no rain)? The game already looked great at night with rain. Also, did anyone ever figure out what the hell is eating up all the vram? Because I haven't seen anything in this game that justifies the need for videocard with more than 2gb of ram or the fact that the ps4 runs at 900p.

DOF was always in the game though. Use your profiler or aim down the sights and focus on a close object.

iNvid02

i really want to try this but cant be asked to restart, waiting for them to put out that first patch

Wow, all time?

it was on r/gaming front page and some other big sites have linked back here so yeah its getting some attention

dunno about the ranking, not that it really matters

PSYGN

The DoF I'm seeing in the popular comparison video looks like crap. Why would anyone want to run a blurry background. The dynamic shadow from headlight and other enhancements are nice, though.

ksdixon

In my mind this is a two part issue. The first is dishonest reveals setting dishonest expectations (PC settings nowhere near matching console results). The second is something that may be reading too much into the tea leaves, but are we going to see games gimped on PS4 to closer match their XBONE counterparts?

DOF is not the only thing they disabled, though. Reflection and lighting changes, as well as the addition to rain and civilian density are good improvements.

But from what I'm reading regarding those, they are buggy and run terrible. That's probably why they removed them completely, because they weren't able to get them stable for release.

Does any of this improve the bland look of daytime (with no rain)? The game already looked great at night with rain. Also, did anyone ever figure out what the hell is eating up all the vram? Because I haven't seen anything in this game that justifies the need for videocard with more than 2gb of ram or the fact that the ps4 runs at 900p.
This is a daytime comparison, courtesy of Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

And to you second question; apparently, for some technical reasons I don't understand, Watch_Dogs loads all texture twice:
The game uses a very surreal texture implementation. For every texture, there is a basic texture with mipmaps and a higher resolution texture without mipmaps. Lower texture quality uses the medium mip of the regular texture as max. Medium texture quality uses the regular texture and high texture quality (called ultra ingame) uses regular texture BUT blend to higher texture for close ups. Close up distance depends of screen resolution. So it's a pixel/texel ratio in the end.

The problem is that I think gpu drivers are not optimized to load in memory every texture twice. They are optimized to mess with mipmaps to avoid shimmering and to save memory. Walking or driving in watch dogs implies you need to load a new big texture every time a material is near the camera. It's not the same that showing the big mip of the texture already loaded.

Mumford

Disclaimer: I don't own a gaming PC or Watch Dogs. Welp.

Seeing the events that unfolded today are nice and it's nice to see that this could actually go somewhere, but honestly I think that the (potentially) best thing about this is that eventually Ubisoft might acknowledge this & let us know what happened, or at the very least a disgruntled WD dev could come out with info on what actually happened down the road.

I must say, the game does look significantly better in my eyes, minus the DoF which I can't really decide on. It's a shame that these settings weren't really fleshed out/completed (it doesn't sound like it is to me). As some pointed out, DoF sounds like a subjective thing so maybe that was removed because it simply wouldn't have worked, but the other settings seem to be so much better that, to a point, it's almost impossible to argue that these were removed due to an "artistic" choice, or something along those lines.

I personally buy the story that they were making this game before they realized the reality of the new hardware, made the new hardware with concrete specs the new target, and then simply deemed that all the work that would have been required to make the old target graphics a reality om PC only simply wasn't worth it. I also believe though that could be/is wrong. I just really want to hear more about this game's development.

If this post is considered to be off topic I'll gladly edit it to be on topic.

Zanoh

Neo Member
Does anyone know where to put the files? I have downloaded the mod, but have no idea where in the watch dogs folder to put them.

Momentary

Banned
I feel a lot of companies do this with multiplatform games on PC. What's the point of doing this? For parity? What a slap in the face of PC gamers who have the platform for better fidelity and performance (on top of everything else). As for people saying that they didn't include it because they wanted it to run on more PC configurations.... That's what graphics settings are for. If a developer has a very scale-able engine then something like this isn't a problem.

I really hope this isn't the case for games like The Witcher 3. I don't think CDPR would do this, but I'm sure they've probably been asked to do it.

-MD-

I feel a lot of companies do this with multiplatform games on PC. What's the point of doing this? For parity? What a slap in the face of PC gamers who have the platform for better fidelity and performance (on top of everything else).

I really hope this isn't the case for games like The Witcher 3. I don't think CDPR would do this, but I'm sure they've probably been asked to do it.

CD Projekt would be like the one developer that I'd want to believe that wouldn't pull some shit like this but anything can happen I guess.

What's the point of doing this? For parity? What a slap in the face of PC gamers who have the platform for better fidelity and performance (on top of everything else).

Sometimes developers do this to get parity with newer assets created after the initial demos. Sometimes they do it to save space. Sometimes old assets break with newer revisions of the engine. Sometimes more efficient assets are created in place of the old ones.

This game seems to be fine though with the old assets.

I feel a lot of companies do this with multiplatform games on PC. What's the point of doing this? For parity? What a slap in the face of PC gamers who have the platform for better fidelity and performance (on top of everything else). As for people saying that they didn't include it because they wanted it to run on more PC configurations.... That's what graphics settings are for. If a developer has a very scale-able engine then something like this isn't a problem.

They wouldn't do this. Please.

Just the thought drags me down.

Top Bottom