• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italy "Next-Gen" HW Numbers [PS4 210k, XB1 < 150k, Wii U ???] via Ubisoft

A little old, but still ok, I think

http://www.e-duesse.it/News/Videogi...t-gen-in-Italia-entro-la-fine-del-2014-173355

Google Translation said:
According to the estimates Ubisoft released during the Ubidays, an event which went on yesterday, June 26th, at the Dino Hotel in Baveno, there will be around 700,000 next gen consoles in Italy by the end of 2014. According to the numbers Ubisoft released, currently there are 210,000 PS4s in the country and, at the end of this year, the target is 550,000 units. Meanwhile, the prevision up to December 31st for Xbox One is 150,000 units (no news about current installed base for Microsoft's home console, though)

Obviously credit to MPL90 for finding this

Takeaways

• PS4 is at 210k LTD in Italy as of June 26, 2014
  • PS4 is projected to be at 550k LTD in Italy by end of year [Dec. 31st, 2014]
  • No comment on XB1's current LTD in Italy as of June 26, 2014
  • XB1 is projected to be at 150k LTD in Italy by end of year [Dec. 31st, 2014]

So most useful information is that the PS4 is at 210k LTD in Italy and that XB1 is significantly less than 150k LTD in Italy

Oh and I guess Ubisoft Italy might not consider Wii U a next gen console or something? 550+150 = 700...

ymmv

Banned
PS4 is projected to be at 550k LTD in Italy by end of year [Dec. 31st, 2014]
XB1 is projected to be at 150k LTD in Italy by end of year [Dec. 31st, 2014]

That's almost 4:1 . If this is the case in most European countries, MS might as well pack up and go.

How did the 360 do in a similar timeframe?

Oh and I'll ask again, do we if this site is reliable? Surprising that the info is old but wasn't picked up by any other outlet.

I'm from italy and i know no one who has a console. It's much more common to hear a child beg for an Iphone then to hear one beg for a ps4 or an xbone. All the people i know game on pc, either because of steam or because of pirating.

Considering Italy has a population of 60M those numbers are surprisingly small.

I don't know, seems pretty on track to me.

I'm from Italy and I know very few people with a console, and just one who has two (aside me). Also A LOT of people buy a console just for those two games.

Scanna

Never heard of that site..wouldn't rely so much on it. I think instead that PS4 is having a lot of success and people are still interested in consoles here.

Ok, i have a Ps4 and a Wii U, two friends of mine have an Xbox One, two of mine have a PS4. Five of them have a Wii U.
Don't know, i think that in Italy, portables, like 3DS or Vita, are much more common than home console.
And obviously, we are a PlayStation nation. Back in the days, and even today people doesn't buy console for the games, but because they have the PS logo on them.
P.S. sorry for the bad english
P.P.S: oh, and i forgot to mention that piracy had always played a big, big, big role in the industry in our nation.

As per the credibility of the news source, I myself am unfamiliar with their track record but they don't appear to be some random VG news site. They are a largish Italian Magazine publisher

http://www.e-duesse.it/Chi-siamo

Rough Google Translation said:
Editorial Duesse was founded in 1992 from the need for more timely communication to the Trade and qualified, able to keep pace with the rapid evolution of an increasingly complex and sophisticated.
Today we publish 11 magazines Business to business in different markets entertainment, 4 monthly important for the general public and we are active on the web with 6 sites.

Sorc3r3r

Eh a lot of old people here ,a long and deep economic crisis still biting, fearful disoccupation rate for the youngsters.
Not exactly the best place to sell a lot console.

Yeah need PS3 and 360 numbers to know if this is good or bad. Seems low.

Yup. If someone could look up both, it'd be greatly appreciated.

As per the credibility of the news source, I myself am unfamiliar with their track record but they don't appear to be some random VG news site. They are a largish Italian Magazine publisher

http://www.e-duesse.it/Chi-siamo

So Italy's MCV?

That puts any fears about reliability to rest.

UrbanRats

Ok, i have a Ps4 and a Wii U, two friends of mine have an Xbox One, two of mine have a PS4. Five of them have a Wii U.
Don't know, i think that in Italy, portables, like 3DS or Vita, are much more common than home console.
And obviously, we are a PlayStation nation. Back in the days, and even today people doesn't buy console for the games, but because they have the PS logo on them.
P.S. sorry for the bad english
P.P.S: oh, and i forgot to mention that piracy had always played a big, big, big role in the industry in our nation.

Wasn't Italy one of the Euro countries where 360 the best? Granted that's not saying much, because Euro in general (minus UK) is PS dominant.

RalchAC

That's almost 4:1 . If this is the case in most European countries, MS might as well pack up and go.

Spain is the definition of "Sonyland" yet there is a healthy amount of shelf space for the 360 in every store I've visited here (like 1/2 to 2/3 PS3 shelf space). So software demand must be good even if most people buys Sony systems.

If the situation in Italy is similar I'd say they're doing well not "packing up and leaving". They probably have a good chunk of gaming enthusiasts buying stuff and making the investment worth their time and money.

Why are gaming market share % numbers lower in non-US and non-JPN countries? 210,000/60,000,000 is lower than the US market share %. Is gaming not that big outside the US and Japan?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Why are gaming market share % numbers lower in non-US and non-JPN countries? 210,000/60,000,000 is lower than the US market share %. Is gaming not that big outside the US and Japan?

Less disposable income maybe? I don't know.

So Italy's MCV?

That puts any fears about reliability to rest.

I probably wouldn't go that far as MCV is pretty damn good. I can't quite tell what standard the news articles being posted on their sites are held to. It does appear to be a general journalist commenting on this and not a specific VG journalist if that makes sense.

Rikkun

Well Italy is getting poorer day by day, so it's not uncommon to not drop 500€ on a game console when most people already have a 360 or a PS3. I know a lot of people who got a PS3 in the last year, so the numbers are not that bad.
I know of 3 people + me with a PS4, 2 people + me with a WiiU and a single friend with an XboxOne. Only a good PES could move consoles here.

Imru’ al-Qays;119536469 said:
Italy is a much, much weaker console market than the other major EU economies (Germany, France, UK). Not sure why that is, but it's probably a mix of economic and cultural reasons.

Does anyone have LTD numbers for these 3 regions by any chance?

I probably wouldn't go that far as MCV is pretty damn good. I can't quite tell what standard the news articles being posted on their sites are held to. It does appear to be a general journalist commenting on this and not a specific VG journalist if that makes sense.

That makes sense. A general journalist can sometimes be the best person to relay numerical data though, so I'll take this as reliable for now.

And yeah, perhaps a little silly to suggest they were Italy's version of MCV.

ethomaz

Banned
Close to 4:1 estimated? Amazing PS4.

Using the same estimated ration we can estimate XB1 sales right now at 60k.

That it... ~60 XB1 sold to date in Italy.

The X1 is dead outside the US and UK and there's nothing MS can do to change that till next gen. That's why they're focusing on those two regions. The Xbox brand is in general very American centered (and the UK tends to be the same as the US).

Spain is the definition of "Sonyland" yet there is a healthy amount of shelf space for the 360 in every store I've visited here (like 1/2 to 2/3 PS3 shelf space). So software demand must be good even if most people buys Sony systems.

If the situation in Italy is similar I'd say they're doing well not "packing up and leaving". They probably have a good chunk of gaming enthusiasts buying stuff and making the investment worth their time and money.

I'm sure that has to do with the number of multiplatform games. Stores are going to put a copy of Fifa, Call of Duty, etc. on the shelves for both systems, so it's inevitable that shelf space will be at least somewhat comparable.

The PS3's additional shelf space probably comes from older multiplatforms (and exclusives) that have a longer shelf life than their 360 counterparts.

It's a small market. Some LTD numbers from July 2008

source

Italy's hardware totals from January to June 2008.
Plus 2008 YTD.
Plus (bottom line) LTDs.

July:

DS 100,000
PSP 35,830

WII 30,180
PS3 15,120
PS2 13,910
360 13,330

So as of July '08 LTDs look like this (rounded off nearest k):

PS2: 5.427.000 (launched 24/11/2000)
DS: 2.370.000 (launched 11/3/2005)
PSP: 1.303.000 (launched 1/9/2005)
PS3: 575.000 (launched 23/3/2007)
Wii: 557.000 (launched 7/12/2006)
X360: 464.000 (launched 2/12/2005)

If the XB1 had a stronger launch followed by a gradual drop off relative to PS4 like in the US, it's probable that the sales ratio was much less than 4:1 at launch, is currently less than 4:1, and will only become 4:1 as current sales trends continue. It wouldn't suprise me if the current sales ratio is closer to 5:1.

The PS4's supply constraints were also much more severe across Europe than the US, probably keeping the sales ratio lower for longer.

Does anyone have LTD numbers for these 3 regions by any chance?

Last UK info on consoles is here. PS4 2013 YTD was 530,000, and XB1 2013 YTD was 364,000. No official updates since then really

Last France info we got was Wii U at 340k as of end of May 2014. PS4 2013 YTD was 240,000 and XB1 2013 YTD was 126.000. I'm not aware of any update on either consoles LTD in France since then

Last Germany info I have is again 2013 YTD. 250,000 for PS4, and 100,000 for XB1

why even put Wii U in the title if they did not even talk about it OP?

Because I consider it a Next-gen console and wanted to title it next gen sales. Mods can update the title as necessary if it was poorly thought out

Rikkun

why even put Wii U in the title if they did not even talk about it OP?

Nobody, NOBODY knows what a WiiU is.
Someone recognized my PsVita, but nobody ever stepped into my house and said "oh hey, a WiiU". Uninterested people still "play" on their Wii and don't know the console is dead and there's a successor.

Xando

The X1 is dead outside the US and UK and there's nothing MS can do to change that till next gen. That's why they're focusing on those two regions. The Xbox brand is in general very American centered (and the UK tends to be the same as the US).

well its not like they ever tried

Top Bottom