• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

it's happening.. korg dsn-12

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Remember korg ds-10/ds-10+? Turns out Detune released a sequel for the 3DS - KORG DSN-12 about two months ago!

Differences at a glance (all from youtube videos, as the eShop title is yet to hit this side of the pond - expected 25.09.2014):

Code:
                    ds-10                                            ds-10+            dsn-12
channels:           6 (2 VCOs + 4 drums, i.e. reduced VCOs)          6                 12 full VCOs
decks:              1                                                2                 4
oscilloscope:       -                                                -                 wave, lissajous
package:            cart                                             dsi cart          3ds eshop

EXCITE!

ed: what do you know, here's the actual product page in English: http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/korg_dsn12/

giphy.gif

FirLocke

So I'm interested in this Korg software, should I just buy the old one that is already on the eShop, this new one or both? Let me know which one(s) I should get if you can!

blu

So I'm interested in this Korg software, should I just buy the old one that is already on the eShop, this new one or both? Let me know which one(s) I should get if you can!
Neither the original ds-10 nor the dsi-enhanced 10+ were ever released on dsiware/eShop. Actually, they're quite hard to find these days, and, well, expensive.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Neither the original ds-10 nor the dsi-enhanced 10+ were ever released on dsiware/eShop. Actually, they're quite hard to find these days, and, well, expensive.
I doubt I'd get more than $30 for the original Korg DS-10.

Listonosh

I think he means the M01D. In which case I still don't really know the difference between that one and this new one.

blu

I think he means the M01D. In which case I still don't really know the difference between that one and this new one.
KORG ds* series (ds-10 .. dsn-12) is an emu (with various enhancements) of an iconic analogue synth from the '70s - KORG MS-10. KORG M01D is a wavebank synth.

FirLocke

Yeah I meant the M01D. I'm highly uninformed about the M01D and this new Korg software, so I was wondering if I should get the M01D and this, or just one of them. Sorry for the confusion!

blu

Do you guys remember the 1up episode where they cover this? It's an awesome program.
It's beyond awesome in skillful hands.

Yeah I meant the M01D. I'm highly uninformed about the M01D and this new Korg software, so I was wondering if I should get the M01D and this, or just one of them. Sorry for the confusion!
Absolutely np, that confusion happens often : )

In a nutshell, wavebank synths are about creating tracks using preset instruments. Analogue/oscillator synths are about creating your sounds, and then creating tracks.

orborborb

the M01D has classic preset sounds from the Korg M1 and O1/W synths (released in '87 and '91) and a sequencer, it's NOT for designing your own sounds. Because it is based on samples with limited synthesis, it has a greater variety of timbres, but less ability to change and twist the sounds over time.

Great to have this released here, wasn't expecting it so soon. I'll probably grab it to play with in bed/while traveling.

While they're going for MS-10 emulation I'm still not a fan of them referring to the components as VCO and VCF when they're obviously not ;)

Great to have this released here, wasn't expecting it so soon. I'll probably grab it to play with in bed/while traveling.

While they're going for MS-10 emulation I'm still not a fan of them referring to the components as VCO and VCF when they're obviously not ;)

ha yeah that kinda irks me too. will also probably pick it up, i liked the original though i wish there was a way to sync it up with external gear properly.

Oh wow, they added a scat option for Miku... God, i need to get off the internet for some time...

??

magnetic

I´m having a ton of fun with M01D right now - it´s definitely the better option for people like me who don´t know much about synthesis and just want to mess around with fixed samples and sounds. I´m pretty amateurish with music creation, but I love wasting hours and hours on things like these regardless.

On the other hand, there are moments when I wish I could modify the presets in M01D more, so I guess I´m ready to dive into virtual analog synthesis a bit more again.

And it helps that I really love the music of sanodg. One of the first VGM composers I actively followed (along with Shinji Hosoe and other people from that scene).

The screens on the 3DS/XL are kinda small, but the stylus input works really well on these programs, along with the physical buttons. M01D was well worth the price and I´m sure DSN12 will be as well!

_Ryo_

Genuinely curious here, how do you use a piano-roll without multitouch?

How would you do chords? #Not a Musician.

adroit

Genuinely curious here, how do you use a piano-roll without multitouch?

How would you do chords? #Not a Musician.
I've only used the M01D, which is a completely different type of product from the DSN 12. With the M01D, you can program chords by marking the notes (one at a time) directly on the piano roll itself. The M01D also has a "live" keyboard but you can play only one note at a time on that (I never use it...I just program stuff on the piano roll and let the M01D play it back for me).

I haven't used the DSN 12 (or its predecessors) so I can only take a stab at an answer: each of the 12 synths is monophonic (plays only one note at a time). So when you are controlling a particular synth you are playing only one note at a time. You get polyphony by layering multiple synths you've already programmed. If this answer is bogus, hopefully someone will correct me.

blu

I haven't used the DSN 12 (or its predecessors) so I can only take a stab at an answer: each of the 12 synths is monophonic (plays only one note at a time). So when you are controlling a particular synth you are playing only one note at a time. You get polyphony by layering multiple synths you've already programmed. If this answer is bogus, hopefully someone will correct me.
There's also the fact that a single 'monotonic' channel (or synth) in DS(N)-10/12 actually consists of two oscillators. Those generally play the same tone (with regard to the tonal input - kbd, etc), but their frequencies can be de-tuned. So a single channel is not actually purely monotonic, in the same sense as FM sythesis is. And this is before applying the various filters & feedback loops, which further add polyphony.

blu

So I finally got the spare time to download dsn12 and actually test it.
First impression: detune have overhauled the sound engine. It sounds like a genuine analog synth now more than ever. Actually, I'm planning to 'port' some of my ds-10 tracks to the dsn - it's absolutely wort it.

blu

Ok, officially: shit is amazing. 12 channels of pure analogue sound, times 4 decks. All those nights i've been a channel short on the ds-10.. Feels like a kid in a candy store.

Wait its out already? Im at work and cant check.
Been out in EU for two weeks now. I was just time-strapped these past two weeks so I could download it only today.

I haven't had this much fun with a (3)ds since I imported the original ds-10. I know that's not an option for you now, NA guys - you'll have to wait just a bit longer. But the wait is absolutely worth it. The new sound engine (which is of KORG's making, btw) is absolute bliss.

Sweeeeet, multiple tracks for patterns! Two FX busses! (plus a reverb bus?) Pattern chaining in scenes!

I finally recorded an ambient thing on DS-10+ the other day: https://soundcloud.com/ym2612/3-4a Its filter model is really quite nice, especially considering the hardware limitations. I can't wait to mess with DSN-12.

This crazy guy has got his FM technique pretty polished on DS-10. https://soundcloud.com/gxscchater I can't wait to hear how FM sounds on the new thing.

Camjo-Z

I've spent so much time making random tunes in WarioWare D.I.Y. that I think I'll have to grab this at some point.

Top Bottom