• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI:BIZ Sony needs to stay humble and focused

DBT85

Were the same articles written about MS when 360 was doing do well after launch?

It certainly appears to me that some sites almost seem upset (in general tone) that MS hasn't just walked away with it after the 360 and I can't work out why.

It's not quantity that matter, but quality.

With the exception of TLoU, I can't think of a game that got universal acclaim, as well as commercial success from WWS recently.

Not sure what universal acclaim is, but Infamous was very well received critically and commercially (1 million in 9 days).

Killzone sold over 2 million copies.

MLB 14 was critically praised and the fastest selling edition of the game in the series.

orochi91

The game media think it's decide quality the people that buy the games do also.
For eg Infamous SS sold 1 million in 9 days but the media would make you think FH2 and SSO are bigger games.
Still they could not sell 200k in NPD in first month .

I see where you're coming from, especially with regards to how the media glosses over Sony exclusives.

But I would say in the case of Infamou:SS, the game was a clear step down from previous titles, whereas FH2 improved from FH1 and SSO is a fresh new IP.

Expectation were higher for Infamous.

'Filler games' is the stupidest concept ever.

It's a very real phenomena at play though.

I've seen people gloss over games like Rime and Until Dawn as filler because they lack the production values/pomp of AAA games.

Another day, another biased article trying to stymie Sony's advance and paint MS as the hero despite the CRAP they pulled last year.

RBK

Banned
Every single exclusive and even some multiplats? (like GTA V)

Exclusives sure. Not going to even argue that.

Just having it all on one disc was the benefit for multiplats for the most part. Games were identical between consoles otherwise.

I see where you're coming from, especially with regards to how the media glosses over Sony exclusives.

But I would say in the case of Infamou:SS, the game was a clear step down from previous titles, whereas FH2 improved from FH1 and SSO is a fresh new IP.

It's a very real phenomena at play though.

I've seen people gloss over games like Rime and Until Dawn as filler because they lack the production values/pomp of AAA games.

Sunset Overdrive only scored 2 points higher than inFAMOUS SS and sold way less, but you would think it was 90+ game that everyone should buy by glancing at the media praise. Basically equal games with VERY different narratives being pushed by the media.

As someone who played Infamous 1 and 2, I felt Second Son was the best game in the series. Opinions tho

RBK

Banned
You are really a funny guy.
At least your last posts here made me chuckle.
Thank you sir

The more quality games, the better. I'm just not go around parading stuff like Inside or Cuphead as "genre-defining" titles.

I am a Xbox gamer if I haven't already made it obvious.

Even if expectation were higher it still sold more so it had a bigger impact on consumers .
FH2 improved from FH1 is nice and all but we talking about what games people buying for the system or what game might move hardware .
SSO is a fresh new IP don't mean much when Sony have been doing that for years and once again it had no impact .
Just last year Sony brought out 2 new AAA console IP TLOU , Beyond: Two Souls .
I not saying this year was not worst than normal but Sony seem to be returning to normal next year .

The more quality games, the better. I'm just not go around parading stuff like Inside or Cuphead as "genre-defining" titles.

I am a Xbox gamer if I haven't already made it obvious.
You can have your opinion. And believe me, I know that you are a Xbox gamer.
Wasn't hard to get that.

Just don't try to speak "for all gamers".

joecanada

Welp.

Hype down to 0 :(

Thanks for the info though. I should have looked into it more.

how could your hype get lower than the progression seen from
Fable 1 to 2 to 3...
three is actual shit, the only hope the franchise really had was to revamp it, but yeah I feel your pain with what they are proposing to do....

geordiemp

I read article differently, in that they are going for mass market appeal but did not say how other than starting with LBP3.

Could they be referring to Streaming to devices and Morpheus maybe ?

Morpheus VR release with the right software could open up to new customers who are not into hardcore games...

Fable 1 to 2 to 3...
three is actual shit, the only hope the franchise really had was to revamp it, but yeah I feel your pain with what they are proposing to do....

I never played or paid attention to the series, so I'm unfamiliar with what the progression was like. But that's a shame, I would think a new gen is the perfect opportunity to refresh it (in a good way)

Fable 1 to 2 to 3...

Which is a tragedy, because Fable 1 was really good.

orochi91

Basically equal games with VERY different narratives being pushed by the media.

I agree, this would be the side effect of MS dominating Sony for nearly an entire generation.

Give the press some time, they'll eventually tone down the bias.

And so you decided to validate their stupid opinions. Smart move.

I should note that I personally enjoy "filler" games as much as I enjoy AAA stuff.

I'm merely confirming the notion of "filler" that people use to justify the dismissal of games like Rime.

orochi91

Just last year Sony brought out 2 new AAA console IP TLOU , Beyond: Two Souls .
I not saying this year was not worst than normal but Sony seem to be returning to normal next year .

I'm going to be honest.

Sony would be better served to move away from this boom/bust cycle they have going on, where one year we are inundated with many exclusives, which is then followed by a rather barren year of exclusives.

What I'm saying is, Yoshida needs to get his shit together -_-"

I agree, this would be the side effect of MS dominating Sony for nearly an entire generation.

Give the press some time, they'll eventually tone down the bias.

I should note that I personally enjoy "filler" games as much as I enjoy AAA stuff.

I'm merely confirming the notion of "filler" that people use to justify the dismissal of games like Rime.

How is Rime a filler? To whoever said that.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
american journalists showing their true colors

Amir0x

Banned
Fable games were campaign based RPG games, so mainly single player games. Fable Legends appear to be MMO-like RPG, so mainly a multiplayer game.

oh I thought it was just a Fable game with more multiplayer elements intertwined

i already wasn't too interested based on Fable III but I guess i can safely avoid

I'm going to be honest.

Sony would be better served to move away from this boom/bust cycle they have going on, where one year we are inundated with many exclusives, which is then followed by a rather barren year of exclusives.

What I'm saying is, Yoshida needs to get his shit together -_-"

Well it look like he is doing that .
Like i said before we already know they going to have GOW4 , Bend new IP , GG new IP for 2016 .

Amir0x

Banned
Like i said before we already know they going to have GOW4 , Bend new IP , GG new IP for 2016 .

2016 has a ton of shit in the pipe yet to be announced. NeoGAF is gonna have their head melt after December Event and E3 2015

Yup and ND is no doubt already working on something other than Uncharted 4 since they basically have 2 teams. Media Molecule's new game is probably 2016 as well and I'm sure Gran Turismo 7 will not be 2015.

Seems like they really are doing a good job of spreading things out.

vpance

Were the same articles written about MS when 360 was doing do well after launch?

It certainly appears to me that some sites almost seem upset (in general tone) that MS hasn't just walked away with it after the 360 and I can't work out why.

360 was probably the first introduction to gaming for many of the writers in question. It's hard to forget your first love.

Kerub

Banned
Uhmm no? This is a war, with resolutions and consumers rights. Did american forces stay humble and focused during D-day?

I don't think we have to worry about that for right now. Sony's very receptive from what I can tell. They saw someone goof off quite a bit early on in the generation and saw what comes with that.

orochi91

Every day that passes is another day I find myself impressed with your posts. You have a way of surpassing expectations. In a very, very negative way.

Read my earlier post.

These aren't my impressions or views, but those of others.

Filler is nonsense to me.

RBK

Banned
I've just stated "filler" as in games to beef up said great exclusive list.

They could all turn out to play better than I expect them to.

Sponge

Banned
Did Sony call the Nintendo "a shell of it's former self" recently?

That kind of stuff needs to stop. That's the Sony nobody likes.

orochi91

360 was probably the first introduction to gaming for many of the writers in question. It's hard to forget your first love.

That's a good point.

SNES was my first console, yet despite not owning a Nintendo console since, I'm still fond of them.

Damn cherry poppers :/

Did Sony call the Nintendo "a shell of it's former self" recently?

That kind of stuff needs to stop. That's the Sony nobody likes.

Eh?

When?

That's mighty ironic coming from Sony lol

Top Bottom