• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhindle

You would think Hearst would have the foresight to keep the SF editorial team intact :( UGO is such a worthless property.

Azar

Podcasts are going now too? This is like when G4 bought out TechTV and then slowly destroyed everything that made TechTV great.

I sincerely hope anyone who loses their job finds a new place in the journalism industry. Whether that happens via a mass exodus and the birth of a new site, or people joining Giant Bomb or something, there's such a pool of talent at 1UP that it would be truly criminal if they didn't continue doing what they do best.

I was listening to retronauts earlier today and Jeremy mentioned that they filmed some Bonus Stage episodes that would go up in the future. What's the deal with them?

MrDaravon

Tendo said:
So what the hell did UGO buy? I went to 1up for the editor blogs, video content, and podcasts. That is all gone. So...what the hell did they buy?

Ditto. This could have possibly been a good thing if they had largely kept the website crew, and just kept things going except without them having to work under the shadow of bankruptcy all the time. This just seems stupid. I don't know what % of people went to 1up.com for the same reasons we did, but I bet it was a sizable amount, if not a majority.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i feared the worst as soon as i gagged at the slimey, saccharine tone of the press releases.

i sort of expected the EGM closing but when i heard 1up.com being bought i figured they'd keep the podcasts, 1up show, etc.

I'm in shock, listening to the last 30 mins of the 1up yours. Its pretty depressing listening to it now :(

Cohsae said:
So wait the writers you like are moving to UGO, so you plan to never read their writing again?
Fuuuuuuuuck that is so shitty.
Doesn't sound like there are going to be any of them left :(

Zen

Banned
WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT OF BUYING 1UP IF THEY KILL THE PODCASTS AND SHOW THAT DISTINGUISHED THEM FROM THE COMPEITITIOTTTIOJPW

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Crateman said:
Giant Bomb needs to step up.

1Up + Giant Bomb = unstoppable force.
Giant Bomb probably (speculation) can't afford many more staff writers, unfortunately.

BenjaminBirdie said:
God damn it, man. Skip and Ryan were the fucking heart and soul of being into gaming to me. This is a fucking outrage. I mean, everyone else too, obviously, it sucks. But that time of Luke and Skip and Ryan and Mark on the 1up Show just talking about gaming, that shit honestly spoke to me. It personified exactly how I felt about gaming.

I know it sounds dumb and ridiculous, but I felt like I knew these dudes. That even though it was a one way street, for the first time, they made gaming journalism feel like a fucking conversation.
Seriously, it was the only gaming coverage that I really cared about.

Sad day. You guys did a good job.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Guys, I dunno, it seems like this could be a blessing in disguise. I dunno what they all have planned, but a full on media only site like Giant Bomb would be a great next step for them, imo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Goddammit, I didn't give a shit about EGM, but I loved the 1UP podcasts.

I hope everyone's fine. To be fired after Christmas? There's some irony in there. :(

"Please join with us in celebrating this major news for 1UP. "

so7p0l.jpg

"First of all, let me come out and say that there is no other gaming site like 1UP. Unlike some of the lumbering, impersonal behemoths out there, 1UP is all about its personalities, and its fans are awesome, passionate and willing to fight to the death over whether Final Fantasy X2 was an abomination or a triumph. It’s an honor to bring that passion into the UGO fold. We are like-minded in our love of video games and I plan on welcoming them to the family by kicking their collective asses in Street Fighter IV. "

http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/ugo_acquires_1up/

What is this shitttt

Sallokin

What a fucking load of shit. Well, a huge thanks to all the 1up crew for a great run. I really wish the best for everyone.

Rlan

Rez>You said:
Giant Bomb probably (speculation) can't afford many more staff writers, unfortunately.

That's also not what they're about. From the Wiskeymedia site:

Our company is built on the belief that “small is the next big”. One inarguable fact is that a small team of exceptional people can beat an army of good people. It is a very American principle. On that premise, our team working out of a small office in Sausalito is building a platform to launch lots great sites. How will we do? We will have to let users be the ultimate judge.

Zeliard

sp0rsk said:
Guys, I dunno, it seems like this could be a blessing in disguise. I dunno what they all have planned, but a full on media only site like Giant Bomb would be a great next step for them, imo.

I was hoping they'll pull something like this, if they can. It's pretty much the only thing they can do if they want to keep people together.

Mr.City

Oh my God, this is so terrible. I wish nothing but the best of luck to all those 1uppers laid off. I remember reading OPM and Expert Gamer growing up and still reading EGM and 1up now. UGO is making a horrible mistake by cutting the podcasts and video content.

Darklord

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
they bought the URL's.

Sounds like they pulled a gamespot. They went from having one of the best sites to a complete joke in less than 1 year. Except UGO did it in a few seconds.

Stench

Banned
Just wanted to throw out my support to all the guys at 1up and EGM.

When I was growing up as a kid, EGM was practically my bible. I would tear through an issue multiple times in a month, obsessing over every morsel of information. Given that most of my other friends weren't into games as much as I was, it was pretty much my only source for the latest news and discussion.

So thanks for the memories, guys. Your magazine has left a lasting legacy for at least one of us here.

bengraven

The tragic part is the loss of jobs.

But heartbreaking for me at this moment is that this entity I loved from childhood is gone.

Forget the jokes about how thin the magazine was, how bad some of the content had become, or how much I disliked Shane.

I spent a large part of my childhood begging $4 out of my mom every month at the grocery store to let me pick up EGM. My first, MASSIVE issue with the full sized SegaForce magazine in the center that got me hyped for a Genesis, the first SNES Street Fighter 2 cover...damn. Sucks.

November 1992 - January 2009 for me, RIP.

Nakazato

SoulSonicForce said:
"First of all, let me come out and say that there is no other gaming site like 1UP. Unlike some of the lumbering, impersonal behemoths out there, 1UP is all about its personalities, and its fans are awesome, passionate and willing to fight to the death over whether Final Fantasy X2 was an abomination or a triumph. It’s an honor to bring that passion into the UGO fold. We are like-minded in our love of video games and I plan on welcoming them to the family by kicking their collective asses in Street Fighter IV. "

http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/ugo_acquires_1up/

What is this shitttt
UGO you lost my respect. Fuck you UGO.

Cohsae

Fuuuuuck I just deleted a bunch of GFWs to make space on my mp3 player. Somebody needs to get a torrent or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom