• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troidal

SecretBonusPoint said:
:lol @ them leaking the CEO e-mail almost immediately. Good ol' professional 1UP!

Condolences to people losing their jobs, but really this isn't a surprise at all in any way. The writing has been on the wall for like 2-3 years now and the UGO 'rumours' the other month were pretty damn solid so its not like this has come out of left field.

Surely Ziff however has nothing left now and is just going to bow out.

The Ziff Davis Empire that thrived in the late 90s to early 00s is gasping for its final air... The fact that the entity is always being sold and bought by some other company meant it's been on life support for the longest time.

I wish I could have liked more of EGM or any print magazines for that matter, but the internet pretty much took over. I wouldn't know how to solve this problem, wish there was a way print and digital media can co-exist with one another.

Tough times, but I'm sure the EGM/1up guys will find a new place, they always do.

Cohsae

No more podcasts? Man this is gonna suck.
The podcasts were great. Gave the names on 1UP.com a personality you could attach to them. They're pretty much what made me a loyal reader of the site. Good luck to everyone at 1UP.

God damn it, man. Skip and Ryan were the fucking heart and soul of being into gaming to me. This is a fucking outrage. I mean, everyone else too, obviously, it sucks. But that time of Luke and Skip and Ryan and Mark on the 1up Show just talking about gaming, that shit honestly spoke to me. It personified exactly how I felt about gaming.

I know it sounds dumb and ridiculous, but I felt like I knew these dudes. That even though it was a one way street, for the first time, they made gaming journalism feel like a fucking conversation.

NMan

Bye Lan Party. It's too bad you couldn't get more time to grow and get established. It was fun while it lasted when the whole crew was there!
lanpartycrew.jpg

Calcaneus

Woah, this is really starting to suck.

I hope the people getting laid off find some solace in knowing that we really appreciate what they've done over at 1up.

Fuuuuuuuuck this is so shitty. I have absolutely zero plans to ever give UGO a pageview after this (hadn't heard of them before).

jacobs34

Here's what I'm wondering, why purchase 1 Up and not keep the 1 Up Show or the Podcasts? My guess is that the video and audio content was what brought the most people to the site in the first place? It just doesnt make much business sense.

Darklord

Banned
I don't get EGM but I know how big it was. That sucks.

Why are they getting rid of people off the site though? Or is EGM and 1up like the same thing?

andycapps

Oh man.. bad bad news. Good luck guys. Have been one of my favorite sites and mags for years. I really hope this ends up better in the end with those of you getting laid off getting better jobs.

jacobs34 said:
Here's what I'm wondering, why purchase 1 Up and not keep the 1 Up Show or the Podcasts? My guess is that the video and audio content was what brought the most people to the site in the first place? It just doesnt make much business sense.

I pointed it out before, but their written content is all kinds of linked up to Amazon. Stuff like that is probably pretty lucrative.

Piper Az

Ah, this really is a bummer. Here's a hope that the guys/gals at 1up find something better real quick and start talking about videogames again.

bluemax

Banned
Wow, bluemaxadamus. I said earlier today in another thread that this was the year that games journalism dies.

I admit that I hate games journalism but I do feel bad for people losing their jobs.

Well this blows beyond belief. While I did read the site fairly regularly it was the podcasts and the 1UP Show that made 1UP for me. Thanks for all the great shows guys and gals, here's hoping you land on your feet quickly.

Tendo

So what the hell did UGO buy? I went to 1up for the editor blogs, video content, and podcasts. That is all gone. So...what the hell did they buy?

I can't say I read the work by the 1up editorial team very much (as with 90% of the creepily obsessed GAF users), but this is still pretty stunning. Their podcasting program has been a regular and cherished part of my life for the past few years, and the fact that it is ending so unexpectedly is pretty depressing. EGM doesn't surprise me at all (I'm surprised it didn't get shut down earlier, TBH), but it seems as if everything I liked is going away.

Best of luck to everyone who has lost their jobs. At least a number of people bailed out when they could, I guess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's horrible news if true. All the best. :'(

dLMN8R

What the fuck? They buy 1UP and then gut it of all its best content and all the shows and podcasts its community cares about?

UGO is dumb as shit.

FartOfWar

Banned
Banana Kid said:
Hey, a cover on the next game in the biggest-selling PC series of all time is better than a cover on a shitty movie tie-in. GFW got a better sendoff then EGM gets.

I know how it goes, though. We had another issue after that one almost done. Hopefully EGM isn't in the same position.

DuckRacer said:
So there's no more 1UP Yours, Lan Party, 1UP FM, etc.

What the shit. :(

This SUCKS. I live off of 1up.com's podcasts. They always made me laugh :(

Now I only have the bombcast. Not enough podcasts!

Enkidu

This is such a sad day. Without the podcasts, no matter what they do with 1up the site will still be dead to me.

Cohsae

badcrumble said:
Fuuuuuuuuck this is so shitty. I have absolutely zero plans to ever give UGO a pageview after this (hadn't heard of them before).

So wait the writers you like are moving to UGO, so you plan to never read their writing again?
Fuuuuuuuuck that is so shitty.

tanod

when is my burrito
Jesus fucking christ. fuuck.gif

What do you mean no more 1UP SHOW!? GOD DAMN WHAT THE FUCK ARGH!

FUCKING FUCK SHIT ARGH!

Best of luck to all. I'm so sorry. This is fucking BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

DMart

Neo Member
This is fucked up. Best of luck to everyone and deepest condolences. You provded many hours entertainment whether print, audio or online.

This is a shitty, shitty time right now.

Shawn128

How the fuck does this happen? How? I just went on UGO.com and it represents everything I don't want with my video game coverage. Who the fuck are UGO anyways.

I grew up listening to most of these guys. They're probably the only editors whose opinions I actually respect. Everybody fucking knows that the some of the biggest reasons to go there were for the video/audio podcasts. ARGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom