• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 08/30/08 - PAX Panel

Kibbles

Seriously they need to make the USB 360 controller compatable with the PS3 :p (not going to happen, I know) It's just terrible for FPS's, they are so right. I'd be stoked for PS3 FPS's, but it's hard to when you got that controller.

dejan

Kibbles said:
Seriously they need to make the USB 360 controller compatable with the PS3 :p (not going to happen, I know) It's just terrible for FPS's, they are so right. I'd be stoked for PS3 FPS's, but it's hard to when you got that controller.
What they actually need to do is support mouse & keyboard. All this talk about m&k support on ps3 and not even one first party fps takes advantage of this. Pathetic ...

andycapps

dejan said:
What they actually need to do is support mouse & keyboard. All this talk about m&k support on ps3 and not even one first party fps takes advantage of this. Pathetic ...

Very true, I suspect it's because of tuning and not enough demand for it. It'd be hard to tune the game for a controller and then tune it for KB+M as well. If you only used it online there would have to be filters in place to limit players playing together if they didn't want to, etc. But yeah, I wish it were used more than it is.

Zen

Banned
The controller isn't as comfortable for FPS games right off the bat, but after a while if you are still having problems, that's not the controller fault. Some people just want the controller to not work well, so they convince themselves and don't attempt to actually use the controller.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hey Guys,

The .mov and .wmv versions of part one are uploading now and should be live in about 15 minutes. Unfortunately they took longer to render out than I expected, and I had to spend part of the afternoon shooting interviews so I haven't started on part two yet. So, it might be up tonight, it might be up in the morning.

UPDATE: Download versions should be working now.

Zen said:
The controller isn't as comfortable for FPS games right off the bat, but after a while if you are still having problems, that's not the controller fault. Some people just want the controller to not work well, so they convince themselves and don't attempt to actually use the controller.

A person can get used to anything. You can get used to someone punching you in the face once an hour but doesn't mean you'll like it.

Nizz

lybertyboy said:
Hey Guys,

The .mov and .wmv versions of part one are uploading now and should be live in about 15 minutes. Unfortunately they took longer to render out than I expected, and I had to spend part of the afternoon shooting interviews so I haven't started on part two yet. So, it might be up tonight, it might be up in the morning.

UPDATE: Download versions should be working now.
Much appreciated!

clashfan said:
I can't wait to see The Sess on 1up...
Yes. The podcast guests were great, too bad the sound was a little bad. So now to d/load the videos ;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Schrade said:
They are indeed mostly anti Sony fanboys. The comic makers and many of its fans are of the same attitude.
I played Mirror's Edge at PAX on PS3, but everything else multiplat was Xbox only. I don't know if that's a PAX thing or an industry thing though.

Jag22

Banned
Zen said:

It is the controller's fault. Sony needs to go back to the drawing board and completely change the stick placement and put a little more resistance in the analog sticks.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
SapientWolf said:
I played Mirror's Edge at PAX on PS3, but everything else multiplat was Xbox only. I don't know if that's a PAX thing or an industry thing though.

i think its a lead platform thing

Jag22 said:
It is the controller's fault. Sony needs to go back to the drawing board and completely change the stick placement and put a little more resistance in the analog sticks.

The controller isn't perfect for FPSs, but it's great for other genres. People tend to forget that.

OldJadedGamer said:
The reason the topic came up is because they were discussing FPS's.

I realize that, but people who say that Sony needs to completely redesign their controller just because its not ideal for one specific genre are being a little extreme, I think. I do think that Sony can improve the controller in various ways, but aside from FPSs, the controller layout is pretty solid and works well.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Possible for a mod to change the title to now show that video's are now up?

Or am i able to do that as the thread creator.

Schrade

evlcookie said:
Possible for a mod to change the title to now show that video's are now up?

Or am i able to do that as the thread creator.
You should put the link I posted for the first video in mp4 format. So people can play it on their PS3.

Finally listened to the show, sounded like good times were had by all.

Coming from someone who never watches G4, I think Adam Sessler really needs to come on and record a regular, full-length show. And screw the Shane haters. Shane is awesome. There's a reason he's called "Mangod."

Truespeed

Blueblur1 said:
Embarrassment? Yeah, really embarrassed when Garnett told me in my ear that what I said was great. Really embarrassed when I and a bunch of other 1up dudes hung around with Shane and Garnett the following night and actually spoke about PSU and PSP. You have no idea what you're talking about. Mind your own business.

Some of you guys take everything too seriously including things the 1up guys say and the jokes that get thrown around.

Dude, I owe you an apology. You were a victim of proximity. You should have swept the leg of the jankwad that spoke before you.

...editing previous responses.

Darkpen

Banned
I didn't know that Shane and Milky are characters in PSU on PSP :lol Oh snap D:!

Excellent show, guys, and for sure, I definitely want to see a GFW panel for next year's PAX.

DustoMan

Banned
Hey Skip question and comment:

Couldn't you plug your recording equipment into the sound board at the panel to get better quality?

And man if I knew you guys were down in the bar under the Red Lion hotel, I so would have come down and had a couple with you.

skip

DustoMan said:
Couldn't you plug your recording equipment into the sound board at the panel to get better quality?

that's exactly what I did, then they told me they could get me a recording right from the soundboard. can't really pass that offer up, not knowing that the result would be such a disaster.

Blueblur1

Truespeed said:
Dude, I owe you an apology. You were a victim of proximity. You should have swept the leg of the jankwad that spoke before you.

...editing previous responses.
I'm surprised by your humility. Just be real careful before you post derogatory comments. That goes for most GAFfers as well.

No_Style

Watched the videos and thought the whole thing was great. It was a very light atmosphere and no where as serious as I thought it was (judging by people's posts and such). Again, great job 1UP!

snap0212

Kibbles said:
Seriously they need to make the PS3 controller compatable with the Xbox 360 :p (not going to happen, I know) It's just terrible for FPS's, they are so right. I'd be stoked for 360 FPS's, but it's hard to when you got that controller.

fixed, imho. :)

Farnack

Banned
skip said:
that's exactly what I did, then they told me they could get me a recording right from the soundboard. can't really pass that offer up, not knowing that the result would be such a disaster.
You should just rip the audio from those videos. Much clearer. :lol

bogg

Awesome, awesome panel.
I don't know if this was mentioned, but there is a great moment when Garnett asks for a shirt for the guy who asked a good question and Sessler picks up and looks at the ati shame trap shirt and he's like "wtf, no"
:lol

Top Bottom