• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 08/30/08 - PAX Panel

andycapps

I hope I can make it through this whole podcast because it's a great lineup, but my head is already hurting and I'm only 3 minutes in.

Truespeed

Kuroyume said:
I want more 1up yours videos! That was really good.

They clapped for the criticism of the PS3 controller because it fucking sucks. It doesn't seem like they had FPS games in mind when they added them to the controller 10 years ago. A change is long overdue considering they're banking on two FPS titles.

You make it sound like the audience erupted in a collective uproar when Elliot made that statement, when in reality it was only the minority of fanboys. You could have probably said anything and still have elicited the same response from those inebriated in the audience thinking their verbal participation was somehow tied to the acquisition of a T shirt.

Besides, isn't Elliot the one that traded his PS3 for a Wii straight up? That pretty much sums up his agenda right there.

Truespeed said:
You make it sound like the audience erupted in a collective uproar when Elliot made that statement, when in reality it was only the minority of fanboys. You could have probably said anything and still have elicited the same response from those inebriated in the audience thinking their verbal participation was somehow tied to the acquisition of a T shirt.

Besides, isn't Elliot the one that traded his Wii for a PS3 straight up? That pretty much sums up his agenda right there.
Haha, of course. He must have an agenda because he wanted a Wii more than a PS3.

Hard hitting journalistic research or a "jump to conclusions" attitude? You choose!

Cirekiller said:
So your saying FPS's are unplayable on the PS3 due to the controller?
Unplayable? No. I played Resistance on my PS3, but it was an awkward experience which I felt actually got in the way of my enjoyment of the game (though I did still enjoy it).

I feel that the analogs on that controller suck for FPS, sorry.

Jack Random said:
Unplayable? No. I played Resistance on my PS3, but it was an awkward experience which I felt actually got in the way of my enjoyment of the game (though I did still enjoy it).

I feel that the analogs on that controller suck for FPS, sorry.

I've played a lot of shooters on both platform and you really have to be looking for a problem with the PS3 controller to complain about it. I have both in my hand right now and the 360's analog stick feels it has more weight to it that's the difference right. But it doesn't really matter that much when it comes to playing a game you can get very precise aim with the Dualshock. I guess if you played a lot of 360 games nad go to the PS3 you notice a big change but it's kind of like a change in sensitivity in a PC game you just got to get accustomed to it... Does it make it a worse controller?

Lets get real here the analog stick problem is no where as bad as the D-pad on the 360.

Cirekiller said:
I've played a lot of shooters on both platform and you really have to be looking for a problem with the PS3 controller to complain about it. I have both in my hand right now and the 360's analog stick feels it has more weight to it that's the difference right. But it doesn't really matter that much when it comes to playing a game you can get very precise aim with the Dualshock. I guess if you played a lot of 360 games nad go to the PS3 you notice a big change but it's kind of like a change in sensitivity in a PC game you just got to get accustomed to it... Does it make it a worse controller?

Lets get real here the analog stick problem is no where as bad as the D-pad on the 360.

I mostly play FPS's on the PC/360, so yeah, PS3 is a pretty jarring, but to be honest, i couldnt stand the analogs back when they introduced them on the PS1, and they haven't improved at all since then. Sad part is that after all these years, i still can't articulate exactly what feels so damn wrong about them.

Well, i find myself using analogs more then D pads in modern gaming, so that really doesn't phase me often, and when it would, there's the Hori Stick with Sanwa buttons and a 8 way gate :)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Cirekiller said:

I have really big problem with "overcorrecting" on the ps3 analog sticks due to their lack of "weight". i'm not great at shooters to begin with, but the precision motions are much harder to achieve using the sixaxis (imo).

that said, i think you're right in saying that this is less of a problem for the ps3 controller than the dpad is for the 360 controller.

Chris_C

Video won't load cus the ad won't load. All the videos on Gamevideos suddenly have this glitch. Judging by the comments I'm not the only one.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Chris_C said:
Video won't load cus the ad won't load. All the videos on Gamevideos suddenly have this glitch. Judging by the comments I'm not the only one.

Sorry about this guys. We're looking into it.

Schrade

Chris_C said:
Downgrade your flash from 10 to 9 and it'll work.

Or just download the .mp4 direct link I posted.

Darkpen

Banned
Schrade said:
A little big but I need to go to bed so I couldn't spend too much time on it.

2rp4go4.gif

The pat on the cheek does it...heh
:lol

To the guys talking about the ps3's sticks: playing something like CoD4, where there's iron-site/scope view, can help improve your ability in manipulating the controller's sticks. It takes time to readjust, but its not impossible.

lybertyboy

DOBERMAN INC said:
Just finished part 1, any ETA on part 2?

I'm rendering out the download versions for part 1 right now. As soon as that's done, I'll start on part 2.

lybertyboy said:
I'm rendering out the download versions for part 1 right now. As soon as that's done, I'll start on part 2.

Cheers and good job with the videos, The audio is vastly improved from the podcast.

RobertM

Jack Random said:
I mostly play FPS's on the PC/360, so yeah, PS3 is a pretty jarring, but to be honest, i couldnt stand the analogs back when they introduced them on the PS1, and they haven't improved at all since then. Sad part is that after all these years, i still can't articulate exactly what feels so damn wrong about them.

Well, i find myself using analogs more then D pads in modern gaming, so that really doesn't phase me often, and when it would, there's the Hori Stick with Sanwa buttons and a 8 way gate :)
They are a bit loose and cover greater circumference than the Xbox stick, but it help a lot in terms of accuracy. I guess it's something you have to get used to.

TwinsDad

Blueblur1 said:
You mean on Saturday, no? I was at gameworks with Shane and 1uppers till 1am.

Yes. I stand corrected. So little sleep.

He talked about drinking that night and going back to the hotel room to sleep to only have (andrew?) his roommate let in 50 or so strangers in to party.

skip

TwinsDad said:
Yes. I stand corrected. So little sleep.

He talked about drinking that night and going back tot he hotel to only have (andrew?) his roommate let in 50 or so strangers to party.

that was garnett. I was safely secluded from such nonsense at a different hotel.

TwinsDad

skip said:
that was garnett. I was safely secluded from such nonsense at a different hotel.

Thanks. I was working on 3 beers and 3 hours of Sleep. The down side to living over in Kitsap. I had to leave the party about 11:50 to make sure to catch the last Ferry didn't want to be homeless that night.

BTW, I enjoyed the 1Up Live, just awesome. Can't believe the last question on "Global Thermal Nuclear Console War".

Edit: Awesome 1UP t-shirt too, and the Badge too.

Jag22

Banned
The SixAxis/DualShock 3 controller is poor for shooters. Not only is the stick placement very bad, but the analog sticks are too loose to be precise in a shooter without some major aim-assist. The 360's triggers is also better for shooting than the PS3's shoulder buttons.

Jag22 said:
The SixAxis/DualShock 3 controller is poor for shooters. Not only is the stick placement very bad, but the analog sticks are too loose to be precise in a shooter without some major aim-assist. The 360's triggers is also better for shooting than the PS3's shoulder buttons.
I don't have any problem getting a couple of headshots in a row in Uncharted. So I don't see why it wouldn't be precise. Basically it seems a lot of people got used to shooters with 360 controllers. Playing Gears and playing Uncharted it doesn't seem like the difference in accuraccy is too big. At least not big enough to have this discussion about..

lybertyboy

Kabuki Waq said:
I have always wondered does the 1up yours crew have any FEMALE groupies?

Someone claimed to have found one a few weeks ago, but at the press conference we found out it was just an opossum in a gorilla suit.

Truespeed

Kabuki Waq said:
I have always wondered does the 1up yours crew have any FEMALE groupies? There have got to be a few.

That depends on how you define 'female'. If by 'female' you mean males dressed up as females in cosplay then yes, they do have many female groupies.

Nizz

Cirekiller said:

I agree 100% on this. I only play fps/third person shooters on PS3 and I have no problem whatsoever with the controller. Was it a little bit jarring going from a 360 controller to a Sixaxis/DS3? Just a little bit... But then again, I've played fps with a Sony controller since the PSone days, so I guess it doesn't faze me. Don't get me wrong, the 360 controller is pretty awesome for shooters, but with some time with the Dualshock 3, it's just as good a controller for fps. Plus, it seems a little weird, but since I have small hands I like having the sticks close together like they are on the Dualshock. :/ To each his own I guess....

*Edit* I loved the lineup at the show, but the audio was a bit rough.:( But the great podcast more than made up for the rough quality of the sound. Any way that maybe some of those guests could come back on a regular 1up, like Sessler? I thought he was great!..

Nafai1123

Banned
Cirekiller said:
I don't have any problem getting a couple of headshots in a row in Uncharted. So I don't see why it wouldn't be precise. Basically it seems a lot of people got used to shooters with 360 controllers. Playing Gears and playing Uncharted it doesn't seem like the difference in accuraccy is too big. At least not big enough to have this discussion about..

This. It seems natural that people are more accustomed to the 360/xbox controller because that's where they learned to play FPS's on consoles (Halo). What Elliot says about the PS3 controller was the exact same thing people were saying when they first started using a controller for FPS's in the first place and guess what, people got used to it. The fact that Elliot is unaccustomed to the ps3 controller for fps games does not mean that the controller sucks for them, it just means that he hasn't played enough on it.

As much as I like Elliot, it annoys me that he does not give fps games on the ps3 a proper chance. If you are going to be an editor and give opinions, you need to at least be able to be unbiased (aka. get accustomed to the controller!). His positive L4D preview and negative R2 preview due solely to the controller/controls seems unprofessional.

That being said, he's still awesome and one of my favorite editors to listen to.

exfixate

Alex, if your girlfriend dumped you and you made a hip homage to Super Mario Bros., you'd probably like it too.

I'm not even entirely sure if that's precisely what you said, as it's hard to make out both from the audio and video, but this is quite pathetic.

Jonathan Blow is undeservedly getting pegged as a pretentious man who thinks his game is 'the greatest thing ever'. Maybe I haven't read or heard as much from him as you, Shane, but I've come to no such conclusion from the stuff with him put out by your own affiliation. Both when he was on the 1UP Show and 1UP FM, he said absolutely nothing to indicate that he puts himself or his game on the pedestal some people -- without stipulating as to why they think as much -- believe he is. From what I've heard, he seems like a very humble person that is surprised at how well his own creation is doing -- both critically and commercially. He hasn't made any bold claims like "Braid is a stunning revelation of what the medium of games can deliver when it properly combines narrative and gameplay", or anything even close to that degree of usual PR-infused hyperbole. Why is everyone being so childish and hateful against him? Is it simply people detracting based on the heaps of praise for it they are hearing from other people around them? I really just don't get it. I don't want to come off as some enraged fan that's reacting to criticism thrown his way -- I did highly enjoy Braid, but infinitely more so because of its gameplay (and by this I don't mean platforming, I mean level design/puzzles/time mechanics) rather than its narrative. Not to say I didn't enjoy the narrative -- and how it correlates to the gameplay -- because I did, just not as much. I seriously just don't understand where all this hate for both the game and Blow are coming from. I mean, even if his main inspiration for making it came after he was dumped by his girlfriend, why is that even a bad thing? To create something that people are enjoying because of a personal, emotional instance like that -- why is that the butt of your bad joke? What's written in Braid -- parts of it, anyway -- is stuff every human being goes through.

Enough ranting from me. And if Jonathan Blow has said things that make him deserve to be described as pretentious, arrogant, self-serving, etc., then I apologize, for I was wholly unaware.

Nafai1123 said:
The fact that Elliot is unaccustomed to the ps3 controller for fps games does not mean that the controller sucks for them, it just means that he hasn't played enough on it.

Some people aren't going to like it even if they play with it enough. Maybe Shawn would like it if he forced himself to use it for several days or weeks, maybe not. People are just going to have different experiences and therefore different opinions on these kinds of things. Everybody's hands are slightly different, things that are intuitive for one person won't be for another, people have varying levels of tolerance when it comes to what they like and dislike, etc.

andycapps

I don't understand all the hate for the PS controllers. Works fine for me, and I have big hands. Nothing will ever come close to KB+M for shooters, but it doesn't take me more than about 5 minutes to get used to a shooter if it's on Xbox 360 or if it's on the PS3. Then again, I've used the PS controller for over 10 years now so I'm very used to it. But yeah, if Elliott is so against the PS controller, I don't see why he'd be previewing any PS3 games as it's always going to have a caviat that the controller sucks. I love his perspective on PC games though.

dejan

andycapps said:
I don't see why he'd be previewing any PS3 games as it's always going to have a caviat that the controller sucks.
So when was the last time he officially previewed a ps3 game?

andycapps

dejan said:
So when was the last time he officially previewed a ps3 game?

Not sure, can't seem to figure out how to do a search by author on the 1UP site and Google isn't being helpful right now. I was referencing this:

Nafai1123 said:
His positive L4D preview and negative R2 preview due solely to the controller/controls seems unprofessional.

I'm just saying that if he doesn't like the controller at all, not much point in having him look at anything PS3 related if he's going to harp on that every time something PS3 related comes up. He's a great PC guy, let him stick with what he enjoys and is an expert on.

Truespeed

andycapps said:
Not sure, can't seem to figure out how to do a search by author on the 1UP site and Google isn't being helpful right now. I was referencing this:

I'm just saying that if he doesn't like the controller at all, not much point in having him look at anything PS3 related if he's going to harp on that every time something PS3 related comes up. He's a great PC guy, let him stick with what he enjoys and is an expert on.

Shawn just dislikes the PS3. The controller is just the conduit de jour.

Top Bottom