• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 08/30/08 - PAX Panel

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
CoG said:
Been listening from nearly day one. I doubt the old Luke would have been so in love with Too Human. In fact, the whole TH love bit just came off as a way to troll on Shane.

:lol I'm pretty sure Luke is actually playing Too Human and was not trolling Shane with that comment.
What a ridiculous thing to say. :lol

Dina

Oh and I can't really listen to this, wrap's version or not. I'll wait for the video, which hopefully (yeah right) is better.

Flavius

Truespeed said:
I've uploaded a cleanup up version that I was able to listen to. Here's my edit:

Link

When you cleaned up the podcast, did you actually bother to, uh, listen to it?

Pretty sure it was the guy on before BlueBlur who made the comment, not he.

Truespeed

Flavius said:
When you cleaned up the podcast, did you actually bother to, uh, listen to it?

Pretty sure it was the guy on before BlueBlur who made the comment, not he.

Blueblur1 said:
I was there yesterday. I got to be one of the last guys to ask a question and I zinged Luke and then tossed some hate towards Shane.

So it wasn't him that tossed the hate towards Shane?

Zen

Banned
It's funny to see Shane haters constantly inventing reasons to dislike him. I mean if his more recent preview of Too Human he described it as mundane. Sure he didn't always use to word, but it's hardly the revisionist history that people are making up.

It's the same thing with the people who deliberately misinterpreted his Pendulem comments. He was right, period. he never aid that the annoucements would equal/neutralize FFXIII.

aeolist

Banned
When I heard the question about the PS3 outselling the 360 I started thinking that maybe the 360 has reached market saturation at its current price point. New customer's are as willing to buy at that price, and all their hardcore fans have played every available game and are starting to buy PS3s as well to get games like MGS4. They at least are willing to shell out that much.

Spoit

farnham said:
3. Shane talks about games he actually played.. (sometimes its hilarious to hear people on 1up yours about games they know nothing about.. Example : bryan Intihar on No more heroes)
Um, have you listened to the podcast in the past couple months? He's one of the first to jump to conclusions about games he hasn't played, see: every single freaking painful moment that PC gaming is brought up, or NPD days

EDIT: also,
Mr. Bunnies said:
You sycophants.

acevans2

Too bad this couldn't have been a full-length podcast. Luke was great on it, as was Adam Sessler. The length really killed any hope of a Braid throw-down with Jeff or a real discussion on Castle Crashers, which sucked.

Shane hate was dumb. Really seemed like a couple of dudes trying to be popular with the crowd. He adds a lot to the podcast in terms of games to talk about, and he's got hilarious quips and anecdotes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
+1 for the Shane appreciation. I don't always agree with what he says, but he adds a lot of personality to the show and is one of the most entertaining people in the business. Fuck the haters.

FabCam

Rez>You said:
+1 for the Shane appreciation. I don't always agree with what he says, but he adds a lot of personality to the show and is one of the most entertaining people in the business. Fuck the haters.

Same here. He makes 1 Up Yours as he's always playing the most interesting stuff plus I love his hilarious comments about random games. The "oven" comment still cracks me up.

It's easy to forget what Mangod means. Let's break it down; Shane is a God disguised as a man. His magnificence can not be downplayed.

+1 for Shane.

To me, luke comes off as a obnoxious whore, who has an apparent bias towards Xbox stuff.
Not that Shane isn't biased towards Sony(Or tries to be the secret biggest fan of everything) but Luke is just way too irratating for me.

Garnett is entertaining. But he is often not coherent enough to contribute something useful to the coversations besides humor. It's like he often fails to fully think things though before opening his mouth.

Skip is the opposite of Garnett in that he is way too shy and every sentence he utters is way too guarded. He needs to be less concerned about saying something stupid and just let it rip.

John is cool but he is not exactly much of a gamer anymore. But his knowledge and experience in the industry is worth something.

Luke, it was always hard to tell when he was trolling, and when he was being serious. But he did have some insightful things to say.

Shane I like a lot. You can tell games are in his blood. If you cut him, he would bleed games. He does come across a bit too dogmatic at times. And thats what hurts him the most when he is wrong about something.

Brian was just way too cool and good looking to be part of 1UP. He is just too charming and likeable. And all the girls want to bang him. Oh I hate you Brian!

Mark McD was awesome. Smart guy, witty, good all round knowledge of games. Just a class act. Best 4th chair ever.

FrankT

Zen said:
It's funny to see Shane haters constantly inventing reasons to dislike him. I mean if his more recent preview of Too Human he described it as mundane. Sure he didn't always use to word, but it's hardly the revisionist history that people are making up.

It's the same thing with the people who deliberately misinterpreted his Pendulem comments. He was right, period. he never aid that the annoucements would equal/neutralize FFXIII.

He was right about nothing, nothing whatsoever and that is exactly the reason his pendulum shifting comments were made fun of basically by his own colleagues and the likes of the internet gaming community in general.

It's like any other drivel comment that has come out of this mouth since this generation began and the list is long. Bu, bu, bu, but DMC4 will never come to the 360. Bu, bu, but it's a Dreamcast game in HD. Bu, bu, bu, but Bungie is working mulitplat. Ect, ect. Talk about questioning integrity in journalism this is where you start. He reaps exactly what he sows. He is good for the laughs, but not much more.

As for the show, awesome comments on Left 4 Dead from Shawn. Adam Sessler has got to be one of the best in business.

Jtyettis said:
He was right about nothing, nothing whatsoever and that is exactly the reason his pendulum shifting comments were made fun of basically by his own colleagues and the likes of the internet gaming community in general.

The fact that you care so much about someone being wrong on the internet is much more embarassing.

Blueblur1

Truespeed said:
Really? You mean like the respect you showed Shane? So how did it feel being thoroughly embarrassed in front of a crowd? Was that ending also in your rehearsed script?
Embarrassment? Yeah, really embarrassed when Garnett told me in my ear that what I said was great. Really embarrassed when I and a bunch of other 1up dudes hung around with Shane and Garnett the following night and actually spoke about PSU and PSP. You have no idea what you're talking about. Mind your own business.

Some of you guys take everything too seriously including things the 1up guys say and the jokes that get thrown around.

FrankT

PuppetMaster said:
The fact that you care so much about someone being wrong on the internet is much more embarassing.

Right spin it. :lol

While his colleagues laugh in his face. Like I said, good for the laughs.

Rez>You said:

It's pretty open and shut. He's the only one on the podcast who's made Tim & Eric references.

The End.

Blueblur1

To clarify I was being sarcastic. My "hate" was, "Why do you hate PSU when you were in it?"

It looks like some of you guys are confusing me for the kid I posted about earlier in this thread. (Wow, people not reading a thread as intended. I shouldn't be surprised actually.)

Regardless, that was some random kid who said the line earlier in the crowd by me. Some other kid told him he should have said it louder. From there on the kid must have been preparing it as his question.

Stop confusing me for him. I praised Garnett, messed around with Luke (who returned the favor later at the Bungie booth :lol ) and pointed out to everyone the little known fact that a character modeled after Shane, using his full name, was an NPC in Phantasy Star Universe.

Blueblur1 said:
Embarrassment? Yeah, really embarrassed when Garnett told me in my ear that what I said was great. Really embarrassed when I and a bunch of other 1up dudes hung around with Shane and Garnett the following night and actually spoke about PSU and PSP. You have no idea what you're talking about. Mind your own business.

Some of you guys take everything too seriously including things the 1up guys say and the jokes that get thrown around.

Well said. Lighten up people.

Truespeed said:
I've uploaded a cleanup up version that I was able to listen to. Here's my edit:

Link

Anyone who hasn't listened yet needs to listen to this one. It sounds significantly better. Thanks for cleaning it up a bit.

purg3

slept with Malkin
dexterslu said:
what's up with dudes being so serious about 1up hate this weekend, seriously?

It's funny sitting back and reading some of the posts in this thread. The internet hate is strong. :lol

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I'm in the office and capturing all video footage right now. From a cursory scrub through, the audio seems ok, but I won't know for sure until I go through the whole thing. BTW, it's going to be a couple hours before it goes up. I'll be splitting the show into two parts: Whatcha been playin/seeing PAX 08 edition and the audience Q & A.

Truespeed

Blueblur1 said:

You were verbally smacked down by Shane while you were reading your script. What part of the recording indicates otherwise?

As for Garnett whispering in your ear. Well, Garnett is a bit of a lush and he probably thought you were a female, through his beer goggles, and wanted to pork you.

dexterslu

lybertyboy said:
I'm in the office and capturing all video footage right now. From a cursory scrub through, the audio seems ok, but I won't know for sure until I go through the whole thing. BTW, it's going to be a couple hours before it goes up. I'll be splitting the show into two parts: Whatcha been playin/seeing PAX 08 edition and the audience Q & A.

thanks for the update funisher! been checking back while writing a paper all day..

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Truespeed said:
You were verbally smacked down by Shane while you were reading your script. What part of the recording indicates otherwise?

As for Garnett whispering in your ear. Well, Garnett is a bit of a lush and he probably thought you were a female, through his beer goggles, and wanted to pork you.

... You do know that this is the guy who made the PSU comment... the dude before him got called the Sega fanboy and what-not.

Struct09

lybertyboy said:

In the office on Labor Day. That's dedication. Give this man a raise!

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I'm rendering out Part 1 (Whatch'a Been Playin?) right now. Part 2 will be up tomorrow. Although certainly not perfect, the audio in this should be better than the podcast version. I only have time to upload the mp4 into the flash player today, but I'll have downloadable versions uploaded tomorrow.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The advert wont even let me watch it :lol . Updated the OP though.

Even downloadHelper isnt helping, ack.

Top Bottom