• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, they are more deserving of them than Kyle Chandler, so.

Again, haven't seen Bloodline. But if you're really advocating that someone like Frank Grillo for Kingdom deserves an Emmy nomination, I'm not sure if I have anything to say besides that we must have wildly different tastes in television.

I mean, it's a polarizing show. It's going to be pretty love it or hate it. No clue which camp you'll be in. I mean, I always thought of you as having excellent taste, so I assume you'll be in the hate it camp. ;)

Yeah, I hear that it starts to coalesce around the latter part of the season but the first part is a bit of a slog. Don't know if I have time for that, so it's under a lot of other shows I've been too busy to watch because of work. But it's on there because a lot of people I trust like it.

I think all the actors put in solid work. It's more the script and direction and slow, tedious lack of plot that are boring and wretched. I mean. I wouldn't blame the actors.
Sure. But i think Mendelsohn was great, everyone else? They were good. Nothing special but solid.
Chandler on the other hand. I said it a lot, but he was bad here. And i think he's a good actor. Just not here.
Again, haven't seen Bloodline. But if you're really advocating that someone like Frank Grillo for Kingdom deserves an Emmy nomination, I'm not sure if I have anything to say besides that we must have wildly different tastes in television.
Then let's talk when you've seen it.

berzeli

Banned
Since everyone is complaining about Bloodline being too slow I will give a different perspective; the show wasn't not slow enough, the more action-y flashforwards ruined the otherwise nice pacing. Chandler was fine in it, and even if I can name actors more deserving of a nomination it isn't an outrage by any stretch.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Since everyone is complaining about Bloodline being too slow I will give a different perspective; the show wasn't not slow enough, the more action-y flashforwards ruined the otherwise nice pacing. Chandler was fine in it, and even if I can name actors more deserving of a nomination it isn't an outrage by any stretch.
I agree. I think it would have been better had we not seen the flashforwards. I liked it though.

I've also watched Kingdom. That was more solid trashy fun than genuinely good television.

Bladenic

Netflix series ranked by number of Facebook likes:

Orange is the New Black - 4.64 million
House of Cards - 2.03 million
Daredevil - 1.01 million
Sense8 - 462K
Hemlock Grove - 379K
BoJack Horseman - 276K
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - 219K
Marco Polo - 215K
Grace and Frankie - 83K
Bloodline - 63K

Twitter followers:

Orange is the New Black - 1.03 million
House of Cards - 568K
Daredevil - 183K
Sense8 - 75.4K
BoJack Horseman - 64.8K
Hemlock Grove - 44.3K
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - 49.5K
Marco Polo - 15.7K
Bloodline - 14.7K
Grace and Frankie - 12K

You know, this list makes me fully realize that Netflix has really been killing it with original series. The only garbage series on that list is Hemlock Grove. I haven't watched Marco Polo or Bloodline, so I can't comment on those. But everything else is good to great. And Bloodline got a good amount of recognition critically and from those who watched it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sure. But i think Mendelsohn was great, everyone else? They were good. Nothing special but solid.
Chandler on the other hand. I said it a lot, but he was bad here. And i think he's a good actor. Just not here.

Then let's talk when you've seen it.

Okay, but my argument is that Frank Grillo is deserving of no Emmys, regardless if Bloodline is a thing that exists in the universe or not.

El Topo

It's pretty sad how some of you drag Hemlock Grove into the mud. That wonderful show really doesn't deserve all the crap it gets. Even if you hate the show, at least it's not Between.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have no horse in the Emmy race because like all awards shows, they're largely determined by mysterious, opaque industry trends that are not reflective of actual quality in any way. Why is Modern Family winning again for the 12 millionth time? Why did it take them three years to notice that Tatiana Maslany is out-acting everyone on television a half-dozen times over? Speaking of Rectify, why haven't they showered that with love - it's a slow-moving prestige drama that actually delivers on its promise and has been stellar for three seasons now.

They have to give the mainstream audience something to root for - they don't want it to be like the Oscars where no one gives a shit because no one's seen any of the films nominated. For every 'Mad Men' and 'Breaking Bad', there's a 'Game of Thrones' and 'Downton Abbey', leaving no room for super obscure shows like 'Rectify' or 'The Americans'.

It's pretty sad how some of you drag Hemlock Grove into the mud. That wonderful show really doesn't deserve all the crap it gets. Even if you hate the show, at least it's not Between.

It's not a good show but it does have some wonderfully bizarre moments, that's for sure. I mean, that season two cliffhanger? What in the flying fuck? I mean, literally, what the fuck was that
flying thing
?

I honestly can't wait to see how batshit insane the final season is.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The new Scorsese/Winter rock drama is called 'Vinyl' but won't premiere till next year. In place of a big new drama, HBO will air the first season of The Knick instead. lol

El Topo

It's not a good show but it does have some wonderfully bizarre moments, that's for sure. I mean, that season two cliffhanger? What in the flying fuck? I mean, literally, what the fuck was that
flying thing
?

I honestly can't wait to see how batshit insane the final season is.

The show is entertaining, involuntarily hilarious and simply insane. The season two cliffhanger is a thing of beauty. Is it good by traditional standards? Absolutely not, but there's an enormous amount of likeable aspects.
With the second season they really decided to embrace the insanity (and the trash factor). I just can't hate the show. It's too hilarious.

idk what between is, but hemlock grove is trash

It's entertaining trash, which at least puts it above Bloodline.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The questions people are asking HBO's Michael Lombardo at TCA are completely asinine. "Thoughts on True Detective season 2?" "Is (game of thrones spoiler)
Jon Snow really dead?"

What do they expect him to say? "Yeah, this season of True Detective was a complete misfire, an embarrassment for everyone involved." "(game of thrones spoiler)
Yes, but in a big twist, he's going to be revived early on in the season. We initially wanted to keep it a surprise, but what the hell, it's TCA!"

I mean.

The new Scorsese/Winter rock drama is called 'Vinyl' but won't premiere till next year. In place of a big new drama, HBO will air the first season of The Knick instead. lol

Seriously? What a fucking pathetic network.

How hard is it to get dramas on the air, every other network seems to manage just fine.

And now Deadline is reporting that Utopia might not go over budget issues, so there's another hole to fill.

Zaph

And now Deadline is reporting that Utopia might not go over budget issues, so there's another hole to fill.

Was there any truth to the rumour the remake was (partially) to blame for the UK cancellation? HBO wanting it to be their own? If so, it will be really shitty if Fincher's version doesn't go ahead, I was looking forward to it.

ezekial45

Banned
To be fair, they couldn't have picked a better show to fill the void. The Knick is truly excellent.

But yeah, HBO is really screwing up with their scheduling. I mean what the hell happened to Westworld?

Is HBO actually airing The Knick on a weekly basis this summer. The PR release only mentions it being available on digital platforms (HBO GO, HBO NOW, and On Demand) for 10 weeks starting August 14th. Unless I'm blind, I don't see a mention of them actually airing it on the network (other than a marathon on HBO2 right before Season 2 starts. The Press Release

In any case, they could have solved this issue when Soderbergh dumped the show in it's lap and aired it on HBO. They wouldn't have had this drama lapse that they had last summer and this summer.

ezekial45

Banned

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In place of a big new drama, HBO will air the first season of The Knick instead. lol
That's really not what they're doing. They're not even pretending it's filling a spot on their fall schedule or anything. Just further promotion for the show and Cinemax.

But yeah, HBO is really screwing up with their scheduling. I mean what the hell happened to Westworld?
I believe it's now fully in production after some delays. TCA folks saw an extended trailer.

The questions people are asking HBO's Michael Lombardo at TCA are completely asinine. "Thoughts on True Detective season 2?" "Is (game of thrones spoiler)
Jon Snow really dead?"

What do they expect him to say? "Yeah, this season of True Detective was a complete misfire, an embarrassment for everyone involved." "(game of thrones spoiler)
Yes, but in a big twist, he's going to be revived early on in the season. We initially wanted to keep it a surprise, but what the hell, it's TCA!"

I mean.
In the age of the Internet, you're gonna have reporters seeking easy articles that grab hits, regardless of the information value.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

#MESS

Utopia is dunzo.

#MESS

Was there any truth to the rumour the remake was (partially) to blame for the UK cancellation? HBO wanting it to be their own?

It sounds a little too sinister to be true but it's HBO so let's just say yes.

Is HBO actually airing The Knick on a weekly basis this summer. The PR release only mentions it being available on digital platforms (HBO GO, HBO NOW, and On Demand) for 10 weeks starting August 14th. Unless I'm blind, I don't see a mention of them actually airing it on the network (other than a marathon on HBO2 right before Season 2 starts.

That's really not what they're doing. They're not even pretending it's filling a spot on their fall schedule or anything.

Ah, well, I was just going off of the initial Twitter chatter. That's even worse though - instead of filling a hole in their schedule with a show they've never aired before, they'll probably just air repeats of an older HBO series in its place like they did last year when they actually aired repeats of True Detective in prime time to fill the slot behind Boardwalk Empire.

Wait did I read that right? Netflix is buying the Blacklist? Da fuq!? Where is Season 2! I need to watch it...watched Season 1 because its on Netflix. I need 2 on Netflix.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wait did I read that right? Netflix is buying the Blacklist? Da fuq!? Where is Season 2! I need to watch it...watched Season 1 because its on Netflix. I need 2 on Netflix.

They secured the exclusive streaming rights to the series, yes. Season 2 should be on Netflix shortly before/after the third season premieres.

Hmm doesn't sounds good. Hopefully there's some chance they can still come to an agreement, love Fincher's work.
Ah, well, I was just going off of the initial Twitter chatter. That's even worse though - instead of filling a hole in their schedule with a show they've never aired before, they'll probably just air repeats of an older HBO series in its place like they did last year when they actually aired repeats of True Detective in prime time to fill the slot behind Boardwalk Empire.
Yeah, I wish they would just air it on HBO. I watched it last year, but I know a number of friends that I know would be way into it, but they don't get Cinemax.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Grace and Frankie - 83K
Bloodline - 63K
I don't know how useful these figures are, but these are basically the types of shows that would not get a nerd fanbase.

I mean, how many people (other than me) want to see Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson deal with coming out to their families and discuss wedding plans? Let alone show their appreciation of the show on the internet? lol
It's show that makes Looking seem mainstream despite having four "big name" actors.

Bloodline I feel is about as quiet as Damages ever was anyway and probably doesn't have the same type of "engaged" audience.

berzeli

Banned
I don't know how useful these figures are, but these are basically the types of shows that would not get a nerd fanbase.

I mean, how many people (other than me) want to see Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson deal with coming out to their families and discuss wedding plans? Let alone show their appreciation of the show on the internet? lol
It's show that makes Looking seem mainstream despite having four "big name" actors.

Since I'm in the business of saying nice things about the least liked shows on Netflix; the first episode of Grace & Frankie is the single greatest thing Netflix has made. I'm not even being hyperbolic, but you should not approach the show as a comedy rather as a funny drama series.

I wish they would air a British import or something. I mean, they have Doll & Em...

Yeah, there are a lot of great British shows deserving a bigger audience. I know that Line of Duty series 1 aired on Hulu but not sure about series 2. I'm watching right now it in tandem with True Detective season 2 and it's like watching the Brits burning down Washington.

berzeli

Banned
Like Wallander. Ambitious cop dramas seems to be a thing these days and nothing in this genre measures up to BBC's Wallander, True Detective's S1 included

That is quite the opinion, like damn. I have a hard time understanding the British and their hard on for Wallander but this is on a whole other level. Sure the British version is better (and anyone who claims otherwise is a middle class tryhard who thinks that because it's "foreign" it's better) but to say that it is the best of its genre and better than True Detective season one? It's not the best cop drama from the BBC (that would be the aforementioned Line of Duty), hell it's not even the best cop drama on BBC One (which is Happy Valley). I think this might be the most puzzling opinion I've seen on TVgaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom