• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Uses DMP's PICA200 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
brain_stew said:
Basically, if you play games with the 3D effect enabled, then no 3DS games will have anti aliasing. Jittered samples producing a supersampling effect is something Nintendo could do to enable free antialiasing in 2D mode and we already have evidence suggesting this is precisely what they are doing. Unlike traditional MSAA that you see in PS3/360 games, this mean it will be applied to the whole image and thus it should look fantastic, but ofcourse, no 3D depth.
Booooo!

Boney said:
?

Yes... I am that thick headed.
If you play with 3D enabled you will get jaggies.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
Booooo!

If you play with 3D enabled you will get jaggies.
Fair trade-off I say.

Also, Adult Swim been playing the earthquake sceens for a while. Could they be hyped for the 3DS?

GoldenEye 007 said:
What is the difference between that and full scene anti-aliasing?

MSAA only affects polygon edges and is fast, supersampling antialiases the whole image and is dog slow (you're effectively rendering at 4x the resolution and then downsampling). No game is going to use 2x2 supersampling, so no AA for you S3D mode. Like I said though, Nintendo can use jittered samples to give free 2x supersampling in 2D mode since they're already rendering two versions of the scene. The Starfox screens had 2x supersampling.

Thunder Monkey said:
Jaggies should actually be less prominent because of the way you're viewing the image.

I'm far from convinced by this, there's no real theory behind it so I'll have to see it for myself.

Its looking like we'll ahve the choice of 2D and no jaggies or S3D and jaggies, pick your poison.

markot said:
I hate jaggies >_<

That don't enable the 3D depth, you should get 2x supersampling (which will provide terrific image quality) if you do this based on what we've seen so far.

Branduil

I don't think jaggies will be as big of a deal in 3D mode, your brain is blending two unique images so even in 3D mode it will basically be like 2x supersampling.

Ezduo

Banned
markot said:
No one mentioned jaggies from the demos though >.<
Wouldn't the tiny screen help diminish the obviousness of the jaggies? Especially since you have hold the thing a certain distance from your face for the 3D to work.

Branduil said:
I don't think jaggies will be as big of a deal in 3D mode, your brain is blending two unique images so even in 3D mode it will basically be like 2x supersampling.

They're two different images though. Supersampling through jittered samples doesn't work like that, it has to be based on the same image.

Crewnh said:
Well I don't care about this 3D stuff, so yay AA. :D

If this is indeed the way it works (and it makes perfect sense that it does, it allows both modes to have the same performance characteristics while giving a nice benefit to the 2D mode in the process) then its pretty nice to have the choice. I know I'll want the 3D experience in some games but in those where it doesn't make much of a difference it'll be nice to be able to trade it in for some really high quality antialiasing (as demonstrated in that Star Fox pic).

Branduil

brain_stew said:
They're two different images though. Supersampling through jittered samples doesn't work like that, it has to be based on the same image.
True but you're still getting double the samples of the same objects. Can anyone who's actually used the 3DS chime in on if they noticed lots of aliasing?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
In my experience, all this 3D stuff lowers detail, since makes things kinda hard to focus. Effectively reducing jaggies... :lol

Ezduo said:
PSP have a problem with jaggies?
Yes. Pretty big one imo.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Branduil said:
True but you're still getting double the samples of the same objects. Can anyone who's actually used the 3DS chime in on if they noticed lots of aliasing?
Well, CG level of graphics implies no AA.

How does the "free" supersampling in 2D mode work to remove aliasing from the image, exactly? I mean mathematically.

I've been reading the whole thread and this is the only part I even vaguely understand.

Ezduo said:
PSP have a problem with jaggies?

Yeah, just a bit! :lol

Tbf, most of it comes from texture aliasing/shimmering and that shouldn't be an issue here since the chip supports mipmapping and decent texture filtering modes. Still, the one game on the PSP that has really pristine image quality (GT) is, incidentally, the one title that uses a similar AA scheme to the one that the 3DS looks to be using in 2D mode.

That no-MSAA thing is really the fly in the ointment here. :lol Bummer about that -- although given the way console/handheld development has gone on until now it would've been pretty unusual for Nintendo to really be the first people to go for the throat on anti-aliasing-driven IQ.

Snakeyes said:
I really hope Nintendo is not planning to sell this over $200. They would be making close to 50% profit at launch. :|

After E3, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it actually launches for $200 or less. The sheer novelty of the 3D counts for a lot when it comes to what consumers will pay for it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Branduil said:
Good point! Nintendo 3DS is using the world's most poweful computer, the brain, to process the game's AA . Clever of them.

So, I've flipped through the publicly available information and this looks like a nice little chip. Without knowing the clockspeed and number of pipelines in the 3DS implementation of the PICA200 it's impossible to say anything about the pure pixel/vertex pushing power of the chip, but from the E3 demos it doesn't look like there's much problem there.

The chip basically implements all of the most common uses of programmable shaders in fixed-function hardware, which is a clever move for a mobile chip and should allow the 3DS to produce graphics that look surprisingly close to what you find on a current gen console. However, my big concern is that this is going to result in an even more extreme version of the UE3 effect. The overwhelming majority of the effects the PICA200 implements in hardware are dedicated to approximating realistic lighting, reflections, and shadows. Which is great if you want a realistic looking game, but largely useless if you want to go for a more stylized art style, or really anything outside the typical look of modern computer graphics.

Just as UE3 games are often accused of all looking the same, I'm worried that the ease of use and performance of the PICA200's effects will lead almost all devs to strive for a very realistic look, since that's what the hardware's good at. Doing anything else will mean shifting all the work to the CPU and leaving most of the PICA's fancy hardware completely idle. Depending on the bidirectional bus speed between the GPU and CPU doing any kind of fancy software shading may not even be practical.

Instro

Gahiggidy said:
Good point! Nintendo 3DS is using the world's most poweful computer, the brain, to process the game's AA . Clever of them.

I dunno man I dont handle AA very well slows down my fps alot. Might need to upgrade my brain before this thing comes out.

Luigiv

Blah, no MSAA would suck, particularly after the DS did free edge AA. Oh well, if the choice is between 2xSSAA and 3D, I'll pick the later. 2xSSAA is pretty useless anyway.

Jon of the Wired said:
So, I've flipped through the publicly available information and this looks like a nice little chip. Without knowing the clockspeed and number of pipelines in the 3DS implementation of the PICA200 it's impossible to say anything about the pure pixel/vertex pushing power of the chip, but from the E3 demos it doesn't look like there's much problem there.

The chip basically implements all of the most common uses of programmable shaders in fixed-function hardware, which is a clever move for a mobile chip and should allow the 3DS to produce graphics that look surprisingly close to what you find on a current gen console. However, my big concern is that this is going to result in an even more extreme version of the UE3 effect. The overwhelming majority of the effects the PICA200 implements in hardware are dedicated to approximating realistic lighting, reflections, and shadows. Which is great if you want a realistic looking game, but largely useless if you want to go for a more stylized art style, or really anything outside the typical look of modern computer graphics.

Just as UE3 games are often accused of all looking the same, I'm worried that the ease of use and performance of the PICA200's effects will lead almost all devs to strive for a very realistic look, since that's what the hardware's good at. Doing anything else will mean shifting all the work to the CPU and leaving most of the PICA's fancy hardware completely idle. Depending on the bidirectional bus speed between the GPU and CPU doing any kind of fancy software shading may not even be practical.
Some will I'm sure.

Others... well won't. And those same effects can have a very stark effect on stylized games.

Branduil

Jon of the Wired said:

I don't think that will necessarily be a problem, there's not really any style in which being able to use normal maps is bad. We can already see both Mario Kart and Star Fox are using shaders and they still look nothing like RE or MGS.

We need some of those cross-eyed 3D pictures in here, but with extra-aliased edges so we can see what effect that has :lol

viciouskillersquirrel said:
How does the "free" supersampling in 2D mode work to remove aliasing from the image, exactly? I mean mathematically.

I've been reading the whole thread and this is the only part I even vaguely understand.

It should work very similar to how Gran Turismo on PSP does it, which is explained here:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1345145&postcount=38

Instead of alternating frames, it'll be alternating pixels that are blended togethe to provide 2 samples for each edge. Note this anti aliases the whole image, not just the polygon edges.

I have a question for the people who know the ins and outs of graphics tech RE: backward compatibility with the DS/DSi.

How did the DS / DSi handle graphics? I was under the impression that they were using twin ARM processors and no traditional GPU. What would the use of this chip mean for back-compatibility? Would it sit idle and let emulation be handled by the CPU?

Been reading up and it seems that Nintendo has gone the perfect route.

The only thing that is a bummer is no MSAA but then again in the right hand developers can do some crazy stuff. Just look at how far developers got with the DS's lack of AA.

Thunder Monkey said:
I don't think anyone was really questioning that one.

The graphics processor was where the real mystery was at.

Though, just saying it's an ARM CPU gives absolutely no indication of its performance. I'd be very curious to know whether it will be an ARM11 or a Cortex A8 processor, and whether or not it'll have a NEON vector unit. Presence of a NEON unit, even more than clockspeed, will have a huge impact and what you'll be able to do on the CPU.

Lonely1 said:
What about the RAM?

Judging by the screenshot's we've got (and "common sense" with regards to the direction of other SOCs), I'd say there's at least 64MB in there, we've seen some really nice texturing already. We know some of that is dedicated to the GPU as well.

brain_stew said:
It should work very similar to how Gran Turismo on PSP does it, which is explained here:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1345145&postcount=38

Instead of alternating frames, it'll be alternating pixels that are blended togethe to provide 2 samples for each edge. Note this anti aliases the whole image, not just the polygon edges.
That is pretty clever and should work quite well.

Question, though: do the cameras on both images need to be offset slightly, even in 2D mode, for this to work?

DonMigs85

brain_stew said:
Judging by the screenshot's we've got (and "common sense" with regards to the direction of other SOCs), I'd say there's at least 64MB in there, we've seen some really nice texturing already. We know some of that is dedicated to the GPU as well.
I sure hope so. Other than the SNES Nintendo has always been stingy with RAM, but since single-chip 64MB exists it'd be foolish to go with 32MB or less.

Instro

Could a custom version of this thing support MSAA, or do gpu's not work like that? :lol

Anyway, even though lack of AA for 3D mode is a bit a of a downer, everything else about this looks/seems pretty damn solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom